Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People like it because it offers a HUGE performance increase with little to no VISIBLE quality loss. Have you actually played a game with it enabled?

Yes I played Control with it, both with 1.0 and 2.0. You can even switch it on and off on the fly, so it's easy to compare. Of course it offers a huge performance increase, you're running at half resolution. No I do not agree it offers "no visible quality loss," that's the whole point. It looks obviously much more processed with a smeared look and sharpening artifacts out the wazoo.

If you google you'll find many people agree with me, they're just being drowned out people with less visual pickiness who don't notice such things (or don't care). Movies have gone through the same thing, "let's process the shit out of this DVD master to make it look HD!" Some people don't notice the difference, some people do and fucking hate it. All depends on the person... which is fine, as long as it's just an option. I just don't think it'll be an option forever, either because games will design themselves around it like TAA or performance simply won't be adequate without it.

Venser

Erudite
I've never played Metal Gear series by the way
but young Kojima looks very CYBERPUNK

w7j09xkrfg221.jpg

Cyberpunk you say?

Ec9oV9TXoAAgAw0

Jrpgfan

Erudite
People like it because it offers a HUGE performance increase with little to no VISIBLE quality loss. Have you actually played a game with it enabled?

Yes I played Control with it, both with 1.0 and 2.0. You can even switch it on and off on the fly, so it's easy to compare. Of course it offers a huge performance increase, you're running at half resolution. No I do not agree it offers "no visible quality loss," that's the whole point. It looks obviously much more processed with a smeared look and sharpening artifacts out the wazoo.

If you google you'll find many people agree with me, they're just being drowned out people with less visual pickiness who don't notice such things (or don't care). Movies have gone through the same thing, "let's process the shit out of this DVD master to make it look HD!" Some people don't notice the difference, some people do and fucking hate it. All depends on the person... which is fine, as long as it's just an option. I just don't think it'll be an option forever, either because games will design themselves around it like TAA or performance simply won't be adequate without it.

Sharpening is tweakable by the dev and users will have that option in the future. It's not the machine's fault, it's the man using it. And this technology isn't simply adding sharpening filters to the image, there's more to it than that.

Movies and games are very different when it comes to processing. It's much more apparent in movies because there's real people and objects, and in games there's always some kind of processing in the first place.

That said, although there's visible additional sharpening in Control with DLSS, I never thought it was exaggerated. It's nowhere near what's done to some old movies. Could be I have bad eyesight or could be you're placebo prone or just like to nitpick just because codex.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That said, although there's visible additional sharpening in Control with DLSS, I never thought it was exaggerated. It's nowhere near what's done to some old movies. Could be I have bad eyesight or could be you're placebo prone or just like to nitpick just because codex.

I mean... some people like motion blur, some hate it. Some people like bloom, some hate it. I hate artificial sharpening, and I'm far from the only one. Might be because I am a movie lover and hate it there, might be because I have a massive monitor I sit too close to, might be because I have 20/20 vision or it might just be personal taste. Whatever the reason there's no real point arguing about it. You like the look of it, I don't, there's no real convincing either of us to change what our eyes see. My real point is just that I hope it doesn't become mandatory, like TAA is now sometimes, but I feel like it inevitably will (or some other form of resolution upscaling/reconstruction). Games will start being designed around it as an AA solution, or ray tracing will be baked in expecting that performance savings, or whatever else.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I mean... some people like motion blur, some hate it. Some people like bloom, some hate it. I hate artificial sharpening, and I'm far from the only one. Might be because I am a movie lover and hate it there, might be because I have a massive monitor I sit too close to, might be because I have 20/20 vision or it might just be personal taste. Whatever the reason there's no real point arguing about it. You like the look of it, I don't, there's no real convincing either of us to change what our eyes see. My real point is just that I hope it doesn't become mandatory, like TAA is now sometimes, but I feel like it inevitably will (or some other form of resolution upscaling/reconstruction). Games will start being designed around it as an AA solution, or ray tracing will be baked in expecting that performance savings, or whatever else.

Sharpening will be tweakable for the user(it already is for the dev so the oversharpening probably is their fault) so the problems you're having now might be mitigated in the future. Remember this is a relatively new and evolving technology and DLSS 3.0 is supposedly coming with the new Ampere GPUs.

Did you play Control in performance mode or quality mode? I've been using a 40' 4k TV as monitor since my monitor died and I honestly can hardly notice the things you've mentioned in quality mode(1440p > 4k). I have to zoom in in some few places and pay close attention to notice any difference at all.

Haven't tried performance mode for some reason, though.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I... I had high expectation for the game because everything about it sounds right up my alley, but I really didn't prepare to 3D print a watchtower from a tiny ass constructor pack so I can mark enemies.

Why does the game do a slomo whenever I collect a plant again?

This is fucking absurd.

I love this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sharpening will be tweakable for the user(it already is for the dev so the oversharpening probably is their fault) so the problems you're having now might be mitigated in the future. Remember this is a relatively new and evolving technology and DLSS 3.0 is supposedly coming with the new Ampere GPUs.

I'm wary of thinking a sharpening slider will help much, since games with heavy TAA that use sharpening look even worse without it (Dishonored 2 comes to mind). I'll definitely give it a shot though. Trust me, I'd like it to look good to my eyes... why wouldn't I?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

That is a flawed comparison because the processing done in movies is for aesthetic purposes, whereas TAA and reconstruction techniques are used to eliminate temporal artifacts like texture shimmer, texture crawl and shader aliasing. It is not an aesthetic choice but tools used to present a more stable image.

Now you can argue that the side-effects of temporal solutions outweigh the benefits, i.e. the softness, and that is valid. Thankfully the temporal solutions get better and better so I see nothing but good things here, though I feel some people will always hate them without understanding them simply because they've trained themselves to do so.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That is a flawed comparison because the processing done in movies is for aesthetic purposes, whereas TAA and reconstruction techniques are used to eliminate temporal artifacts like texture shimmer, texture crawl and shader aliasing. It is not an aesthetic choice but tools used to present a more stable image.

Now you can argue that the side-effects of temporal solutions outweigh the benefits, i.e. the softness, and that is valid. Thankfully the temporal solutions get better and better so I see nothing but good things here, though I feel some people will always hate them without understanding them simply because they've trained themselves to do so.

I don't really see it as that different. The idea behind processing movie images isn't just to make them look HD, but also to make them look more modern, i.e. reducing film grain or boosting detail. In either case, valid comparison or not, it's the artifacts caused by the processing that I dislike. With TAA I'd usually just rather have the jaggies than the softness, a personal choice. With DLSS 2.0 I'd rather have the performance negatives than the artificial sharpening. It's all personal taste, same as how people like the Digital Foundry guy can go on at length about how amazing motion blur is, but for many turning it off is the first thing they do after installing a game. Personal preferences just are what they are. Again, my main point is just that I hope PC always allows the options it's famous for. There are several games including Hitman 2 and Doom Eternal where you can't even turn TAA off in the settings. In Doom Eternal you can "mod" it out, but the game looks super weird without it because it was designed around it. I worry DLSS will someday be similar.

Darkforge

Augur
On paper this game should be everything I hate about the video game industry.
In practice 9 hours in I am finding it a somewhat refreshing and relaxing experience.

I have a good system so 1440p at 144hz on max detail. It's quite nice looking. I personally appreciate motion blur when it's done right as in per object motion blur which smooths out the animation when things are moving too fast, but cannot stand camera motion blur.
Although on screen effects like ugly unrealistic looking rain drops on an imaginary cameramans lense annoy me and I wish there was an in game option to remove it along with the depth of field. (which just makes everything ugly.) No stereoscopic 3D which is a shame due to it being dx12.

So far the most annoying thing about the game is Kojima insisting on telling you he made the fucking thing 20 times in the first 30 minutes. (I'm not even really exaggerating.)

Zanzoken

Arcane
CnUnnVV.png

FdusuLd.png

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also they are currently live-streaming a developer Q&A on the Steam page hosted by none other than the Dorito Pope himself. Or maybe he is the Monster Pope now? :smug:

Terenty

Liturgist
If Horizon wasn't coming out in a few weeks I'd probably take a flyer on this just because it looks so good visually.
You should repent and change your way before its too late. What you are doing here is akin to saving money on Zaum and buying a Bethesda's latest turd.

Sentinel

Arcane
Game's still sitting at #2 Global Top Sellers on Steam on Steam (Valve's Index is #1, so effectively DS is the best selling game on the store).

I guess that fag in the previous page calling doomsay on KojiPro will have to wait a couple more years.

Jinn

Arcane
One of the few top-selling games that not only deserves it, but is good for the industry too. Thank goodness it's selling so we'll on PC. Maybe an indicator for future sales targets.

Delterius

Arcane
kojima is a hack
a hack genius
at selling shit!
good smelling shit
if you like to smell shit
then again i don't judge
God does
and He's very forgiving
of murderers and adulterers, not Kojima fans
the latter don't need to be forgiven
i ran out of ideas
just like Kojima, psyche!

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm enjoying the game. I wouldn't try to sell anyone on it. You've got to be in the right mood or state of mind to want to play this game. Once you've played it for 10-15 hours, you know if it's for you or not. But good luck trying to get someone to play that far into it who isn't into the concept from the start.

Couldn't imagine enjoying playing this at 30 FPS on a shitty console though. Glad I ignored it until the PC release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom