Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Dexter

Arcane
Played a bunch of hours so far and got past the initial Cutscene-fest that had some good cinematic and sound design. So far it still seems fresh with new items and gameplay elements being introduced like having to navigate the fields with the floating ghosts or the electric spear-chuckers that are trying to hunt you down and steal your cargo, all while having to navigate the terrain.
Runs surprisingly well on my 1080 for the way it looks with almost everything on Max, if it had SLI Support I could probably reach a constant 4K/60.
The baby thing, all the abbreviations and code names are a bit cringe so far. LOL at some of the product placement, especially the Monster Energy drinks.
Didn't know this is a "half-online" game like Dark Souls with players being able to leave semi-persistent signs and items behind that you can use, seems interesting although there's some spam around certain areas.

What's the point of the Tim Cain-compliant Skill/Leveling system?
What's the point of bringing other player's cargo to its destination?
What are the Resins and Metals you can carry around with you good for?

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
What are the Resins and Metals you can carry around with you good for?

Building, upgrading and repairing structures and equipment. You'll never have enough of them once you start building roads and shit.

Dexter

Arcane
Building, upgrading and repairing structures and equipment. You'll never have enough of them once you start building roads and shit.
Should you preferably "Recycle" them or place them in your "Private Locker" at each place for later? What exactly happens in each case? I see if something is Recycled you can also "Claim Materials", which I guess gives you a package to carry on ur back?

Harthwain

Magister
Should you preferably "Recycle" them or place them in your "Private Locker" at each place for later? What exactly happens in each case? I see if something is Recycled you can also "Claim Materials", which I guess gives you a package to carry on ur back?
"Recycle" gives you materials. Ideally you want to do this with worn-out equipment or something you don't need.

"Private locker" simply stores an item for later. Can be useful for storing excess materials as items, even when the material storage itself at this location is full.

"Claim materials" withdraws materials from the storage at the specific location you're at and - as you said - gives you an option to create a package for you to carry.

Dexter

Arcane
"Recycle" gives you materials. Ideally you want to do this with worn-out equipment or something you don't need.
I still don't get it. Say I picked up a "100" Batch of Metals and choose "Recycle", it seems to add that 100 to the Total available at the specific Outpost (no matter the condition of the container it was in) and I can pick that up later in a new container choosing "Claim Materials"? Does it make sense to Recycle all the Materials you find around an Outpost till you hit the cap (Max. Ownable Amount) and then keep Maximum Batches as packages in the "Private Locker" for later use?

Harthwain

Magister
Say I picked up a "100" Batch of Metals and choose "Recycle", it seems to add that 100 to the Total available at the specific Outpost (no matter the condition of the container it was in) and I can pick that up later in a new container choosing "Claim Materials"?
Yes.

Does it make sense to Recycle all the Materials you find around an Outpost till you hit the cap (Max. Ownable Amount) and then keep Maximum Batches as packages in the "Private Locker" for later use?
Yes.

Dexter

Arcane
Was getting kinda a bit boring near the end of Episode 2 there with all the delivering back and forth. Thankfully I heard that if you push on instead of doing like the game nudges you and completing missions in the previous region you'll be rewarded. And indeed it got less boring again in the next area with a different landscape after fighting the first boss and unlocking Quicktravel (with restrictions). New toys are unlocking every few hours, got the Exo Suit/Power Skeleton (Lvl3) to be able to carry more, sprint faster and be able to better balance relatively early on. Unlocked some new actual weapons. Unlocked (and stole from the MULEs) various vehicles. Started participating in the bridge building Metagame and managed to build a continuous road from Lake Knot city to the Distribution Center South where I completed like 3-4 pieces of it after raiding MULE camps and contributed to some others. (Amazon) Robot delivery unlocked too. Discovered friendly Wandering NPC Porters that offer you items. The game's continuously unlocking some new stuff and possibilities while the story is slowly plodding along, pointing to pacing issues, having front-loaded most of the narrative so far.

What's the reason you can spam "Like" to other player objects/structures btw.? Is that its intended function? Does it have any consequences other than that they get more XP?

Harthwain

Magister
What's the reason you can spam "Like" to other player objects/structures btw.? Is that its intended function? Does it have any consequences other than that they get more XP?
It is intended (and there are cooldowns). "Likes" from NPCs give you bonuses to stats. "Likes" from players make it more likely for you to see their structures in your world. You can boost this even further with Strand Contracts.

Dexter

Arcane
LOL, got the Floating/Antigrav Carrier. Best way to travel downhill?
1190460_2021050118060lokzf.png

Got to being able to Customize your Backpack to better carry more Nades and shit after (you'd think someone would have gotten the idea to do this in the game world and this would have been unlocked earlier) and the truck. Damn Episode 3 is long, at least double as long as the previous one and that was already rather lengthy compared to the previous ones. Dealing with the Junk Dealer & Friends at the end was also kinda annoying.

Turns a bit more into "American Truck Simulator" or "MudRunner" near the end there when you unlock Trucks that can hold a fuckload of Cargo to deliver.

They've also managed to make it feel like unlocking and bringing a region Online is similar to "bringing Civilization" back to that part of the world. As long as you don't do it it's like braving the wilds and unknown by yourself with only what you've got at your disposal, mostly on foot while hiking around. After you do it there's bridges, ladders/ropes, safe houses, shelters, rechargers etc. everywhere and a shitload of signs warning of danger and similar, not to forget paved roads through the middle of all this at some point, making traversal a lot easier via vehicles.

Btw. is there a way to load Cargo from Preppers directly into a Truck and make them recognize the cargo that's already in there? Kinda annoying, seems to mostly work in the cities and Distribution Centers but it seems to never recognize it with Preppers, no matter how close you park.

ferratilis

Magister
Fucking Kojima, he really knows how to play with your feelings. All that shit just for a Director's Cut

:negative:

Gerrard

Arcane
You thought there was a lot of walking and cutscenes in this game? Just wait until you get your hands on this version.

Venser

Erudite
I put 140 hours into the game and I don't feel like going through it again. Still curious what's gonna be added.

ferratilis

Magister
You guys are not excited for Death Stranding VR Missions? Lame. You could even see a sparkle in Geoff Keighley's dead eyes when Kojima appeared.

Tbh it would be better if it were VR missions because, knowing Kojima, director's cut probably means all the cutscenes will be even longer, and ending will be 4 hours instead of 2 lol

Venser

Erudite
Calling it director's cut is kinda stupid considering the director Kojima had a full control over the development from the start. Or will the director cut be without Monster energy? :D

ADL

Prophet
No PC date given but at least it's not labelled as an exclusive. Looking forward to his Microsoft game so we don't have to put up with this bullshit.

ferratilis

Magister
I'm guessing it's a 6-month or 9-month timed exclusive, just like last time. Maybe even a year. Sony is desperate to release anything to make their rowdy fanboys quiet, since there's fuck-all to play on PoS5, so they probably slipped a few millions in Hideous Kojimer's pocket to make it seem "exclusive."

v1rus

Arcane
Kojima is confirmed insane.

I'd give the directors cut at least a chance, if the saves were compatible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom