Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death to Spies X?

Shinji

Savant
I was playing Death to Spies and was curious about what happened to the developers of this game (their last game was Alekhine's Gun back in 2016).

To my surprise, I find a Youtube video uploaded by the developer two weeks ago for an Unreal Engine contest:

So apparently it's a prototype for a new Death to Spies game

Here's the link to the page
https://unrealcontest.ru/2021/game/1751/

Google Translate Putin said:
The House of The Dev and Epic Games Announce the Third Unreal Engine Game Developer Contest!

If right now you are creating an ambitious game in any genre and believe in its potential, but you lack the main thing - expertise, publicity, publisher, and, of course, money - you have come to the right place.

ADL

Prophet
I'd day one purchase a new Death to Spies. It'd be nice to have an alternative to the HitScriptman trilogy.

Shinji

Savant
What are your suggestions?

Screenshot-2021-09-02-at-21-19-59-Haggard-Games-Haggard-Games.png

Shinji

Savant
Reviving this thread makes me a little sad, because one day after the last post my 18 year old cat passed away last year.

But anyway, apparently the new Death to Spies game is subtitled "Redwolf" -- not sure if it's the final name.
They seem to be experimenting with UE5, and they also have a Discord page where they post updates at https://discord.gg/hZc88puCB9

ADL

Prophet
Reviving this thread makes me a little sad, because one day after the last post my 18 year old cat passed away last year.
Sorry about your cat bro. That sucks. Been following the project and it's pretty impressive for a very small team. Their Lumen lighting demo looks really nice. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed Unity's interiors which was all pre-baked lighting. This is doing it in real time a little under ten years later.
vtn9wngcyxt21.jpg

Curratum

Wasn't all of Unity realtime pbr or just the exteriors?

ADL

Prophet
Only exteriors, interiors were prebaked which is why they don't have a proper day/night cycle. You can select different times in the options menu but they're separate instances and many of the buildings are only enterable at certain times of day coinciding with their respective missions. It's still a great looking game that visually holds up better than everything else during that era.

Lumen is some crazy shit and I've yet to see it look bad in any implementation I've seen thus far.

Shinji

Savant
Sorry about your cat bro. That sucks. Been following the project and it's pretty impressive for a very small team. Their Lumen lighting demo looks really nice. Reminds me of Assassin's Creed Unity's interiors which was all pre-baked lighting. This is doing it in real time a little under ten years later.
Thanks man.

The great thing about Unreal is that it will allow them to focus on their game without worrying too much about graphics.
It will probably take a while for them to release their game though. I assume they might be compelled to do an Early Access release initially.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Death to Spies was premium jank. I'll never forget how I was supposed to assassinate someone, so I just went to their office and choked them out, but then people just kept walking into the office, so I hid by the door and strangled each one until I had a pile of about 30 bodies.

Then, after I completed the level, I watched a youtube video and realized that I was just supposed to poison the guy and leave, lol.

ADL

Prophet
Is this officially a Death to Spies game now? I thought they couldn't use the name but they keep calling it that in the videos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom