Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Mortmal

Arcane
That thing will sell, a lot , thats for sure .
Its not gonna. But hey, prove me wrong on release.
Its kotaku, polygon , rock paper shotgun , /dex , front page material , it will generate buzz and sell and will be torrented a lot too of course.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its kotaku, polygon , rock paper shotgun , /dex , front page material , it will generate buzz and sell and will be torrented a lot too of course.
Its 2016, that shit is not a novelty anymore.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's see:
The Gothic (Risen too) series
Deus Ex
Fable
Dark Messiah
Bastion (tough it's the other way round in Transistor so...)
Consortium (your character may well be female, it's just that you are controlling Bishop 6 anyway)
Alpha Protocol
System Shock 2 (System Shock and Bioshock games too, they're not RPGs though)
Styx: Master of Shadows and Of Orcs and Men
Shadow of Mordor

Some of these might not necessarily be regarded as 'real' RPGs but the trend is pretty clear.

Now what are some games where you *have to* play as a female?
The aforementioned Transistor is the only cRPG that comes to my mind
Venetica also has only a female protagonist (and is a decent game). Septerra Core too, as has been mentioned already.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Crawling weiner.
tumblr_odi7wzh5R61udgdfno1_1280.gif

New level editor + apparently real "dungeon"
tumblr_oglcpmibiW1udgdfno1_1280.png

Animated. Pretty stealthy, ya?

http://giphy.com/gifs/3oriNQ6v9Lnra9A46c

Really tactical combat. Prepare your mouse:
tumblr_og65m0OH751udgdfno1_500.gif

You will believe a puke can fly:

tumblr_oa9jvndKf01udgdfno1_500.gif

tumblr_obnxz1uBId1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_oc0acwenod1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_oc5ro5NBAA1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_obgiwfYJ0i1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_obaihbV7Gy1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_o9ufuwTUz21udgdfno1_1280.png

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
Hello. I'm Stephan, the creator of this game. Obviously you have some parts already figured out, but it's also a bit messy in here. And I might be responsible for some of that too.

So if you have some questions, I'm happy to answer them. Here are some of my thoughts:

- No, this game is not designed for 12 year olds. Nor am I 12 years old. Being a bit older, the high era of my gaming was in the nineties, and I intend to make a game in the spirit of the roleplaying games of that era. Not exactly like them though.

- Of course you can play a male character. There should be a wide range of characters and visual customization to choose from, but while gameplay and animations count are not finalized I don't want to spend too much time yet making multiple characters.
This is no political game, but part of my belief is that people should be friendly to each other and tolerance is very important, so some of that might of course make it into the game. Personally I find it a bit sad that in a genre that is so much about giving options that the addition of a further option (playing a trans-gender character) is a point of discussion.

- The game will have stats. But light-weight, more Ultima 7 than a Fallout 1/2 / Daggerfall. So almost non-existent for purists out there. If you think that stats are the most/only defining characteristics of making it a roleplaying game then we'll have different opinions anyway. Here is a screenshot of the simple stats screen (http://www.craftinglegends.com/showcase/deathtrash/screenshot__2016-11-26_163744.png) but the plan is anyway to model the actual gameplay first and then the stats on top.

- I agree the combat looks boring still. Two things about that.
One: Choosing realtime was a deliberate choice because part of my interest in this is (like Ultima 7) world simulation, and I find turn-based very tedious for that. Turn-based tends to lock games into two modes, where with simulation it should be an ongoing play. What happens if you shoot an NPC in a bar? Having to wait until 23 NPCs made their turn? Not what I want.
Two: As the game is centered around one character and realtime a natural iteration now is to make it more action-like (think Dark Souls, not Diablo). In the process of that, but with dashing/rolling added it feels a lot better now. (Part of the reason I didn't try this earlier was probably because I was not confident enough as an animator. That's also improving.)

- The dialogue and the setting. I know it's a matter of taste, and it will certainly not meet everyone's. Just want to say here that this project probably differs much from others in the regard that it was online from day one, and what other people might muck around with or make their jokes with behind closed doors during that multiple years of development or especially in the beginning: here it was part of the "posting daily on Twitter about it". And that will always lean more towards light-weight humor. There it's natural to post non-working or non-serious stuff. So while parts of the final game will be like that, the perception of the whole thing is too much skewed towards that yet.

- The art. It's not about retro for me. The pixelart fits the right spot between abstracted and handmade so imagination can fill places. But it's a matter of taste, too, of course.

I'm happy that some people are interested in this game. And while I might not always have done the best job communicating this game, I'm learning. Hopefully improving.
Thank you for reading this.

Durwyn

Prophet
Good luck man! I'm interested in this game despite some parts that I'd like to be handled differently. You seem like a reasonable guy with nice understanding on what You want to achieve.

Props for being honest and open, we're more used to "Fuck you all for criticizing my game, toxic Codex. Momma was right about you !" attitude from indie devs around here.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I know it's a matter of taste, and it will certainly not meet everyone's. Just want to say here that this project probably differs much from others in the regard that it was online from day one, and what other people might muck around with or make their jokes with behind closed doors during that multiple years of development or especially in the beginning: here it was part of the "posting daily on Twitter about it". And that will always lean more towards light-weight humor. There it's natural to post non-working or non-serious stuff. So while parts of the final game will be like that, the perception of the whole thing is too much skewed towards that yet.

Personally, I like Vomitville as a city name (central attraction? Vomitorium, ofc), and FuckFace McGhee is a totally acceptable NPC name.

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
Good luck man! I'm interested in this game despite some parts that I'd like to be handled differently. You seem like a reasonable guy with nice understanding on what You want to achieve.

Props for being honest and open, we're more used to "Fuck you all for criticizing my game, toxic Codex. Momma was right about you !" attitude from indie devs around here.

Thank you for the feedback, Durwyn. Appreciate it.

Personally, I like Vomitville as a city name (central attraction? Vomitorium, ofc), and FuckFace McGhee is a totally acceptable NPC name.

Great suggestions. There's the Puke Bar already. But one of my favorite bands is called Vomitory. I kind of have an urge to use that somewhere.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Thank you for the feedback, Durwyn. Appreciate it.

Great suggestions. There's the Puke Bar already. But one of my favorite bands is called Vomitory. I kind of have an urge to use that somewhere.
My calculus teacher used to sing for the Crucifucks, there's a common thread here somewhere.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hello. I'm Stephan, the creator of this game. Obviously you have some parts already figured out, but it's also a bit messy in here. And I might be responsible for some of that too.

So if you have some questions, I'm happy to answer them. Here are some of my thoughts:

- No, this game is not designed for 12 year olds. Nor am I 12 years old. Being a bit older, the high era of my gaming was in the nineties, and I intend to make a game in the spirit of the roleplaying games of that era. Not exactly like them though.

- Of course you can play a male character. There should be a wide range of characters and visual customization to choose from, but while gameplay and animations count are not finalized I don't want to spend too much time yet making multiple characters.
This is no political game, but part of my belief is that people should be friendly to each other and tolerance is very important, so some of that might of course make it into the game. Personally I find it a bit sad that in a genre that is so much about giving options that the addition of a further option (playing a trans-gender character) is a point of discussion.

- The game will have stats. But light-weight, more Ultima 7 than a Fallout 1/2 / Daggerfall. So almost non-existent for purists out there. If you think that stats are the most/only defining characteristics of making it a roleplaying game then we'll have different opinions anyway. Here is a screenshot of the simple stats screen (http://www.craftinglegends.com/showcase/deathtrash/screenshot__2016-11-26_163744.png) but the plan is anyway to model the actual gameplay first and then the stats on top.

One: Choosing realtime was a deliberate choice because part of my interest in this is (like Ultima 7) world simulation, and I find turn-based very tedious for that. Turn-based tends to lock games into two modes, where with simulation it should be an ongoing play. What happens if you shoot an NPC in a bar? Having to wait until 23 NPCs made their turn? Not what I want.
Two: As the game is centered around one character and realtime a natural iteration now is to make it more action-like (think Dark Souls, not Diablo). In the process of that, but with dashing/rolling added it feels a lot better now. (Part of the reason I didn't try this earlier was probably because I was not confident enough as an animator. That's also improving.)

- The dialogue and the setting. I know it's a matter of taste, and it will certainly not meet everyone's. Just want to say here that this project probably differs much from others in the regard that it was online from day one, and what other people might muck around with or make their jokes with behind closed doors during that multiple years of development or especially in the beginning: here it was part of the "posting daily on Twitter about it". And that will always lean more towards light-weight humor. There it's natural to post non-working or non-serious stuff. So while parts of the final game will be like that, the perception of the whole thing is too much skewed towards that yet.

- The art. It's not about retro for me. The pixelart fits the right spot between abstracted and handmade so imagination can fill places. But it's a matter of taste, too, of course.

I'm happy that some people are interested in this game. And while I might not always have done the best job communicating this game, I'm learning. Hopefully improving.
Thank you for reading this.
I always enjoy checking your gifs on twitter, they are often funny and look great.

Drowed

Arcane
- The game will have stats. But light-weight, more Ultima 7 than a Fallout 1/2 / Daggerfall. So almost non-existent for purists out there. If you think that stats are the most/only defining characteristics of making it a roleplaying game then we'll have different opinions anyway.

We sure have. It doesn't looks like an RPG at all, but it looks like a fun little game.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I see that developer came tearing out of the wilderness!

Personally I find it a bit sad that in a genre that is so much about giving options that the addition of a further option (playing a trans-gender character) is a point of discussion.
Instead of just purely cosmetic and vapid "tranny" in charsheet, add options to impress random people with your feminine penis and play meatspin and it will be Codex GOTY. :troll:
Here is a screenshot of the simple stats screen
Finally! Stats is very important thingy when you are looking at RPG screenshots. People interested in your game ALWAYS will look for them. It's like map in the fantasy book.

- I agree the combat looks boring still.
It's not boring. It looks like chaotic messy shit. Just like in Ultima 7, only with default ranged weapons that just add another layer of shittiness on the top.
What happens if you shoot an NPC in a bar? Having to wait until 23 NPCs made their turn?
Ehhh... Yes? With proper turn-based combat system it's fast and could be even amusing. Just remember Fallout 2's junkies that said funny one-liner and run for the hills/just passed turn. Also not all of these 23 NPCs are from one faction. Some are too drunk to fight or even understand that there is fighting. Some of them don't search trouble.
Maybe you are fighting with Sleazy Shit Piss Fuck gang and some of patrons from rival gang and don't give a fuck about your actions. Possibilities are endless!

The art is passable. All these meaty eldritch horrors and landscapes are really great. I liked "dungeon" too. At least you are consistent in your "fifty shades of brown vomit". ;)

Also check your texts for obvious errors. I remember "It's flesh" in one of the screenshots. Such silly errors look bad.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If it works well in Dark Souls doesn't mean it'll work in any game with realtime combat system.

baturinsky

Arcane
Yeah, that sucked in Fallouts, but there is also an option of roguelike-time. I wish I knew what this mode is "officially" called...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom