Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
but there is also an option of roguelike-time.
It's possibility too.
I wish I knew what this mode is "officially" called...
It's called... Malediciton time! :yeahh:

tumblr_nz5cvfdpZW1udgdfno1_1280.gif

See how chaotic and twitchy combat of yours looks. In turn-based right brown dude probably even had chance, if he would threw grenade or two to the group of Hell Hounds. In real-time? Lol. Probably only if he runs faster than hounds and could shoot on the move.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Hello. I'm Stephan, the creator of this game. [..] Personally I find it a bit sad that in a genre that is so much about giving options that the addition of a further option (playing a trans-gender character) is a point of discussion. [..]Thank you for reading this.

Thank you for mentioning transgender. In lots of games gender has impact on gameplay. Store owners and main story NPCs might treat you differently. So in my little RPG - at character creation - you will have the possibility of selecting a special Transgender character class. Unique and created not just for this occasion, but what I think awaits humanity - as a whole - in the future.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
My upcoming RPG will have 1653 genders to choose from. Sadly, I can't include all the genders that exist as it is way too much work.

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
While I appreciate your feedback concerning the combat, the state of it being turn-based or realtime is not up to debate. Personally I'm interested in a vivid and breathing world, maybe even a bit chaotic, and having the game in a locked mode just feels wrong. And in the end I'm just making that: a game to my personal taste. If turn-based or a semi-mode is very important to you then this game won't be for you. Sorry.

Regarding how the combat looks right now I just want you to give me more time with it. It's now been one year with one developer/artist only and most of that time was spent on programming a framework, building a level editor, world building, learning animation etc. Just not possible that everything is working good yet. (And that GIF with the "dogs" is more than half a year old.)
Whatever this will become, I have a feeling it will be more action-based in the sense of quickly rolling around, learning enemy patterns, waiting to land that heavy hit, instead of masses of enemies or bullet hell. Might also become more melee oriented.
What happens here is a normal process at this stage: You saw it was too chaotic, I saw that too, people testing it saw that too. So it's back to the design table and creating a new variant.

Having trans-gender opening up dialogue options would be great, yes. (Planning to.) But even if it would just be a cosmetic choice I don't see anything against it. I know that some people are just happy that it's there for representation, or they can better identify with the character then, or it's opening up their imagination to new paths. Shall I discard that because other people think it's vapid or I included it for marketing reasons?
I imagine it will be industry standard for character selection even in non-RPGs in a few years anyway, so you better get used to it.

Thank you all for your feedback so far. It's valuable to me. And happy about the rather friendly tone.
I don't agree with that it's no real RPG or that it's the "fugly, retarded step-brother of something", but I also know it's not worth arguing against different fundamental opinions or different taste. (Yes, I know, half of the fun of a forum is exactly that.)

ArchAngel

Arcane
While I appreciate your feedback concerning the combat, the state of it being turn-based or realtime is not up to debate. Personally I'm interested in a vivid and breathing world, maybe even a bit chaotic, and having the game in a locked mode just feels wrong. And in the end I'm just making that: a game to my personal taste. If turn-based or a semi-mode is very important to you then this game won't be for you. Sorry.

Regarding how the combat looks right now I just want you to give me more time with it. It's now been one year with one developer/artist only and most of that time was spent on programming a framework, building a level editor, world building, learning animation etc. Just not possible that everything is working good yet. (And that GIF with the "dogs" is more than half a year old.)
Whatever this will become, I have a feeling it will be more action-based in the sense of quickly rolling around, learning enemy patterns, waiting to land that heavy hit, instead of masses of enemies or bullet hell. Might also become more melee oriented.
What happens here is a normal process at this stage: You saw it was too chaotic, I saw that too, people testing it saw that too. So it's back to the design table and creating a new variant.

Having trans-gender opening up dialogue options would be great, yes. (Planning to.) But even if it would just be a cosmetic choice I don't see anything against it. I know that some people are just happy that it's there for representation, or they can better identify with the character then, or it's opening up their imagination to new paths. Shall I discard that because other people think it's vapid or I included it for marketing reasons?
I imagine it will be industry standard for character selection even in non-RPGs in a few years anyway, so you better get used to it.

Thank you all for your feedback so far. It's valuable to me. And happy about the rather friendly tone.
I don't agree with that it's no real RPG or that it's the "fugly, retarded step-brother of something", but I also know it's not worth arguing against different fundamental opinions or different taste. (Yes, I know, half of the fun of a forum is exactly that.)
Cosmetic choices and fake choices are the worst. I think it would be even worse if a transgender player plays this game, chooses that at start and then gets 0 reaction from the world for it.
Since you are seem to be pro diversity, having a transgender option and then loading all the "progressive" content only for that character would be a perfect way to satisfy all kind of players.
Better than what BG1: Siege of Dragonspear did with its randomly inserted "progressive" commentary that everyone would find.

Codex like players can ignore that options while average players can get a real choice.

As for combat, I don't think every game should be dark souls or dark souls lite now. Even if you are real time, it does not mean you need to become a rolling simulator.

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
Cosmetic choices and fake choices are the worst. I think it would be even worse if a transgender player plays this game, chooses that at start and then gets 0 reaction from the world for it.
Since you are seem to be pro diversity, having a transgender option and then loading all the "progressive" content only for that character would be a perfect way to satisfy all kind of players.
Better than what BG1: Siege of Dragonspear did with its randomly inserted "progressive" commentary that everyone would find.

Codex like players can ignore that options while average players can get a real choice.

As for combat, I don't think every game should be dark souls or dark souls lite now. Even if you are real time, it does not mean you need to become a rolling simulator.

While that's an interesting idea, switching content on and off with an option, this "progressive" content is very much part of this game. The world itself here is queer and grotesque, so it makes sense to have diversity with characters too.

Not every game should be like Dark Souls now, right. But Version 1 of the combat didn't work out, I'm not interested in Diablo type gameplay and also not in Bullet Hell (where I would put Nuclear Throne). As Player has to only control one character it was a natural thing now to experiment with gameplay more akin to action games and some form of fast movement bursts. Playtesters also mentioned they would like some form of extra movement. I picked rolling because teleporting doesn't fit and jumping feels weird in that perspective. So this doesn't start out like "Let's make the combat Dark Souls", but is part of a chain of design decisions and iterations.

ArchAngel

Arcane

While that's an interesting idea, switching content on and off with an option, this "progressive" content is very much part of this game. The world itself here is queer and grotesque, so it makes sense to have diversity with characters too.

Not every game should be like Dark Souls now, right. But Version 1 of the combat didn't work out, I'm not interested in Diablo type gameplay and also not in Bullet Hell (where I would put Nuclear Throne). As Player has to only control one character it was a natural thing now to experiment with gameplay more akin to action games and some form of fast movement bursts. Playtesters also mentioned they would like some form of extra movement. I picked rolling because teleporting doesn't fit and jumping feels weird in that perspective. So this doesn't start out like "Let's make the combat Dark Souls", but is part of a chain of design decisions and iterations.
OK but leave preaching parts for the queer playthrough.

As for combat, maybe some kind of tech based fast move that only lasts 1s instead of rolling. Using rolling in gun battles looks especially stupid. Some kind of half working jetpack that cannot let you fly but can give you short bursts of speed near ground level and needs XX seconds between uses to cooldown as it overheats after each use.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Personally I'm interested in a vivid and breathing world, maybe even a bit chaotic, and having the game in a locked mode just feels wrong.
The most hilarious thing about this tired and trite argument that some types of turn-based combat give player much more freedom and feedback than real-time.
It would be yet another reason to not play anything past 2001 except rare game or two like Knights of the Chalice. :troll:

OK, just try to be not too obnoxious in it. Consider that, as many games like Eclipse showed, "progressives", especially rabid and "triggerable" kind, don't play games. Simple as that. Any person who would play your game from start to finish, statistically speaking, have more chance of being neutral or racist shitlord like yours truly. ;)

Now for real questions.
How big are locations on average? How fucking huge is your Fucktopia, for example? One screen with several buildings, two screens, three screens? Dozen NPCs with unique dialogue or just several walk-ons and quest giver? I understand that it's still work in progress, but how big you are aiming?
Will you have random encounters while travelling?
I remember seeing very interesting screenshot with horde of scorpions or something and flamethrower. Is it just concept art or you such situations are possible in the game?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

According to this post the game will be somewhat similar to Hyper Light Drifter.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm wondering what it will happen when everybody realizes that the developer is a rabid SJW :D

:troll:

Blackmill

Scholar

A couple questions if you don't mind answering:

(1) Is it strictly real time or will there be a "pause" option?

(2) I noticed one image in your most recent update looked very different. It was lush and green, which is nice, all desert could get boring. On a similar note, will there be greater cosmetic variation among enemies than the fleshy-red look? It's nice but would get tiresome if every hostile creature looked that way.

(3) Will there be unique loot? If there is, I hope it stands out from regular loot, and isn't just 5% better or something.

(4) With the light implementation of stats how do you plan to make character progression satisfying?

Thanks.

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
Now for real questions.
How big are locations on average? How fucking huge is your Fucktopia, for example? One screen with several buildings, two screens, three screens? Dozen NPCs with unique dialogue or just several walk-ons and quest giver? I understand that it's still work in progress, but how big you are aiming?
Will you have random encounters while travelling?
I remember seeing very interesting screenshot with horde of scorpions or something and flamethrower. Is it just concept art or you such situations are possible in the game?
The size is just that what I'm finding out now. I'm aiming for similar to the first Fallout games, both in complete game size as well as in hubs. There should be at least a dozen unique NPC in settlements. The flamethrower was only concept art yet, still needs to be tested, but have high hope it will work out.
The world map right now functions similar to the Realms of Arkania series for now. Planning to have random encounters, but not implemented yet. Technology for creating a random chunk of terrain for each encounter is already in place.

According to this post the game will be somewhat similar to Hyper Light Drifter.
The combat might have similarities then (maybe with importance of ranged/melee) reversed, but the combat is only part of the game here.

I'm wondering what it will happen when everybody realizes that the developer is a rabid SJW :D
I summed up my moral view earlier here. But by now you should also have seen I'm a friendly and passive guy. Someone trying to argument I'm on a crusade or part of a political group would be more like what I understand as "rabid".

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
A couple questions if you don't mind answering:

(1) Is it strictly real time or will there be a "pause" option?

(2) I noticed one image in your most recent update looked very different. It was lush and green, which is nice, all desert could get boring. On a similar note, will there be greater cosmetic variation among enemies than the fleshy-red look? It's nice but would get tiresome if every hostile creature looked that way.

(3) Will there be unique loot? If there is, I hope it stands out from regular loot, and isn't just 5% better or something.

(4) With the light implementation of stats how do you plan to make character progression satisfying?

Thanks.
1) No pause
2) There will be other landscapes than brown and other enemies than fleshy-red. The lush green might have been one of my landscape studies though. I post a lot of things on Twitter and elsewhere not connected to the game.
3) Like loot you can talk to? Yes. Weapons that open complete new gameplay possibities? Probably not. Those should come from abilities / skills.
4) There are stats, and abilities you learn. I don't think that the number of them makes a great difference in how satisfying it can feel.

talecrafter

Crafting Legends
Developer
I'm working towards a playable version with a larger quest hub and surrounding areas. That playable version, while not being the final gameplay, will do a much better job in showing what the game is and how it feels than me explaining it in words.
Will take a while still, but making good progress.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there Steam Greenlight for this game or something?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
so basically this "RPG" has "no stats"; no reactivity to player character; real time combat that sucks and can't be made into turn based combat because the AI is so smart it needs half an hour time to think per turn and it's full of useless, long combat animations; and instead of trying to be like arcanum it tries to be like dark souls, a fucking console aRPG for retards. is there even xp in the game or is that also not a feature rpgs must have? sorry but even jRPGs and visual novels a la AoD are better than this kind of crap.

Lhynn

Arcane
Slow the game down and increase weapon damage would be my first recommendation. Also why is this on GRPG? move it to GG please.

Last edited:

You do realise that you're going to offend as many trans/queer folk as you're going to please, though, don't you? They're just less vocal that the Tumblrinas.

I can't imagine anything more offensive than some guy so condascendingly eager to please that he creates these options in the game, and then builds a completely fake version of what life is like - no homophobia/sexism/transphobia, or where it does happen it's always rigged in favour of the player. No getting mugged by a bunch of guys in an unfair fight that starts with you getting backstabbed by beer-bottle-over-the-head because you held hands with your boyfriend in the wrong location.

You do realise what you're doing when you cater to the Tumblrinas? You're erasing trans/queer identity, by making a game where the life of a trans/queer character is either identical to, or just as easy as, that of a straight character. In a world where everything else is not some magical paradise.

There's a word for that. No, not diversity. Tokenism.

pippin

so basically this "RPG" has "no stats"; no reactivity to player character; real time combat that sucks and can't be made into turn based combat because the AI is so smart it needs half an hour time to think per turn and it's full of useless, long combat animations; and instead of trying to be like arcanum it tries to be like dark souls, a fucking console aRPG for retards. is there even xp in the game or is that also not a feature rpgs must have? sorry but even jRPGs and visual novels a la AoD are better than this kind of crap.

As the title says,this is supposed to be a Fallout inspired game. So obviously it has traditional Fallout gameplay elements.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
talecrafter I "played" Takume, OK it was atmospheric, now stop wasting your time on not-games and get back to the real stuff. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom