Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

animlboogy

Learned
So the options are cyborg, female and trans-gender? What happened to male? What is this non inclusive nonsense?
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the dev is part of the social justice bandwagon.

You want to be a victim so badly. You sad little man.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, the loading screen is an animation of a guy urinating.

It's actually OK for some characters in a work of fiction to be immature and toilet-oriented, but when the game itself flies that flag so high, it's very hard for me to be interested.

Shame really, I like pixel art and post-apocalypse. Even the real time mole popping looks like it could be good (cf. Barkley 2). Can't be worse than Fallout combat.

I wanted the subject headline to be an exaggeration. Oh well, my backlog is huge anyway, no reason to add another indie to it if it's this childish.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What a hilarious response. Think of all the years and games where we got male protags and all was well and good, nothing to complain about, but a mere misperception of a lack of males in a single game, the mere suggestion of it, is enough to get the hate juices flowing and frothing at the mouth.
Name the CRPGs where you can't choose your gender or between pregenerated characters of both genders. Obitus and Diablo clones? Twitcher? Bloodnet?

Can't you really understand how retarded this would be if "cyborg" and "trans-gender" were available and "male" (or "female") is not? Cyborg is not even real fucking gender.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, anyone still being dumb about gender:

In this game, first you choose your character from several templates. One of these characters is named 'Mildred "Shotgun Lady"'. It is OK if this lady character cannot be male.

tumblr_nyjd7xFgpB1udgdfno1_1280.gif

Now please stop being dumb.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So the options are cyborg, female and trans-gender? What happened to male? What is this non inclusive nonsense?
I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the dev is part of the social justice bandwagon.

You want to be a victim so badly. You sad little man.

You took my comment seriously. What a sad little man.
I was mostly being tongue in cheek. I do find it amusing though that the following statements

- I want diversity and inclusion
- No men allowed

Now appear to be compatible nowadays. Not that's applicable in this case.

Desur

Educated
Patron
BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Name the CRPGs where you can't choose your gender or between pregenerated characters of both genders. Obitus and Diablo clones? Twitcher? Bloodnet?

Let's see:
The Gothic (Risen too) series
Deus Ex
Fable
Dark Messiah
Bastion (tough it's the other way round in Transistor so...)
Consortium (your character may well be female, it's just that you are controlling Bishop 6 anyway)
Alpha Protocol
System Shock 2 (System Shock and Bioshock games too, they're not RPGs though)
Styx: Master of Shadows and Of Orcs and Men
Shadow of Mordor

Some of these might not necessarily be regarded as 'real' RPGs but the trend is pretty clear.

Now what are some games where you *have to* play as a female?
The aforementioned Transistor is the only cRPG that comes to my mind

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Action RPG =/= RPG. They are related, but not quite the same.
One is real time, the other is turn based. That's an important distinction.

Most RPGs released nowadays are of the former, so I can see why its easy to make that mistake.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Some of these might not necessarily be regarded as 'real' RPGs but the trend is pretty clear.
Yes. Dozen or two games where you can't choose gender vs hundreds of cRPGs where you can.
Should I name them in the alphabetical order? :M

Desur

Educated
Patron
Yes. Dozen or two games where you can't choose gender vs hundreds of cRPGs where you can.
Should I name them in the alphabetical order? :M

I think you're missing the point. *If* there is no choice regarding your characters gender then you're most likely going to be playing as a dude. Also, a quick analysis of the 'RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs' list shows that at least 20% of the games featured force one to play as a male character (and there's some games that I don't know in there so it might be even more). I'm sorry but 20% is pretty damn significant.

Desur

Educated
Patron

Most RPGs released nowadays are of the former, so I can see why its easy to make that mistake.

Yeah right, because Planescape: Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Fallout: New Vegas aren't RPGs.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah right, because Planescape: Torment, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Fallout: New Vegas aren't RPGs.
Torment is RTwP, though. As Darklands or BG. Bloodlines is RPG despite its combat.

Also, a quick analysis of the 'RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs' list shows that at least 20% of the games featured force one to play as a male character (and there's some games that I don't know in there so it might be even more).
Top 70 list. Yea, the list that has System Shock as RPG. It's mostly good, but it has iffy parts.
I tried to count myself and counted 12, i.e. less than 20%.

Also let's count this:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-you-have-finished.68557/page-8#post-4475428
First part, of course, not hybrids.
Fixed gender:
BT1, Wiz1, Wiz4, PST, both Shadowruns (as I remember), BaK, Spellcraft, DHoU, Echalon Book 1, Soulbringer, Battletech:The Crescent Hawk's Inception, Stonekeep.
Thirteen. From list of 89 games. 16%.
I'm sorry but 20% is pretty damn significant.
No, it's not. To put it in other terms, 20% of women are awful in bed, but it's not the reason to start fucking sheep.

These 20% that force you to play as dude mostly made it because of story reasons (PST, Wiz4, BaK) and/or to save on animations/art (Spellcraft, Soulbringer).

As Seen through the Eyes of Jade and Dance with Thieves. :troll:

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Planescape isn't true real time, and the emphasis isn't really on combat. If you try to play Planescape like The Witcher and start fighting everything you see, you are going to have a bad time.
Fallout New vegas is an action role playing game, so yeah, thanks for helping.

Desur

Educated
Patron
Torment is RTwP, though. As Darklands or BG. Bloodlines is RPG despite its combat.

I tried to count myself and counted 12, i.e. less than 20%.

These 20% that force you to play as dude mostly made it because of story reasons (PST, Wiz4, BaK) and/or to save on animations/art (Spellcraft, Soulbringer).

Yeah, because combat alone isn't enough to determine whether something is an RPG.

RTwP stand for Real Time with Pause (emphasis mine) and it's definitely not TB so...

1. Planescape Torment
9. Gothic 2
11. Deus Ex
22. System Shock 2
22. The Witcher
26. Gothic
29. Alpha Protocol
40. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
45. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
47. Anachronox
47. Arx Fatalis
52. Risen
56. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
61. System Shock

14/71=0,1972 (unless I'm mistaken about some of these. There might be other ones that I didn't include so it should be pretty close to the actual number anyway.)

And what does it matter what the reason is? You wanted RPGs where you are forced to play as a male.

20% is significant, that's every 5th game.(so is 16% or anything over 1/10 for that matter).

Planescape isn't true real time, and the emphasis isn't really on combat. If you try to play Planescape like The Witcher and start fighting everything you see, you are going to have a bad time.
Fallout New vegas is an action role playing game, so yeah, thanks for helping.

I *never* claimed Planescape is a true real time game, you were the one to claim that only TB games are RPGs which is simply not true. Your Witcher analogy doesn't prove shit. You conveniently skipped VtM:B and the claim that F:NV is not an RPG because it has 'action' elements is ludicrous.

Now if you want to redefine what an RPG actually means feel free to start another thread because I'm not derailing this one any further. (EDIT: The game looks terrible so I feel better about that OT)

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane

Let's see:
The Gothic (Risen too) series
Deus Ex
Fable
Dark Messiah
Bastion (tough it's the other way round in Transistor so...)
Consortium (your character may well be female, it's just that you are controlling Bishop 6 anyway)
Alpha Protocol
System Shock 2 (System Shock and Bioshock games too, they're not RPGs though)
Styx: Master of Shadows and Of Orcs and Men
Shadow of Mordor

The aforementioned Transistor is the only cRPG that comes to my mind

RPGs with forced female protagonist are notoriously bad. Skip them men, theres nothing to see there, and there never will be.

drgames

Scholar
RPGs with forced female protagonist are notoriously bad. Skip them men, theres nothing to see there, and there never will be.
The problem is when your focus is to put your ideologies in the game no matter what, instead of creating a solid gameplay and a decent story writing.

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Mortmal

Arcane
That horrible Real Time combat. What in the fuck were they thinking?

Why would he bother to develop highly strategic and deep combat when including such innovative gender selection feature at character selection. People already speaking and only caring of that.
From the author blog:
"And I appreciate you commenting. After some feedback the option is now split up in "trans man", "trans woman" and "Non-Binary". Let me know if you're missing an option."

That thing will sell, a lot , thats for sure .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom