Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter is Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore; G3 Studios; Guido Henkel

The Kickstarter campaign for Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore just launched. Here's the introductory pitch:

“Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore” is a party-based computer role-playing game with turn-based combat that hearkens back to the Golden Era of fantasy cRPGs. Built upon the power of the Unity 3D engine, “Deathfire” utilizes a first person view that gives the player the feeling of being there. A solid role-playing engine that utilizes over forty visible character attributes, along with countless invisible ones to track behavior. They make up the heartbeat of the game, and allow us to analyze and adjust gameplay on the fly, and react to the player’s actions, shaping the story around these actions and decisions.

Character interaction is another key ingredient in “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore,” as the player will encounter many denizens of the game world and will be able to recruit numerous ones to follow along as non-player characters in the party. Ripe with personality, opinions, phobias and their own little peccadillos, these characters will enrich the game and create unique gameplay twists—as well as many memorable moments, for sure. (Don’t forget to share them with us, when they occur…)

With a variety of large outdoor and indoor environments, the game will offer a rich game setting with party-based gameplay and turn-based combat that allows for tactically infused battles.

Doesn’t that sound like the game you’ve always want to play? Well, it sure is the game we want to play, and that’s why we started building it, and have been working on it for the past eight months.

Just to give you a quick overview of the key specs, here is the game for you in a nutshell:
  • Single player, first person Party-based play (four player-, plus two non-player characters)
  • Six races and eight classes to choose from
  • Over 34 unique character traits, plus base attributes
  • Party characters interact with each other
  • Turn-based combat
  • Indoor and outdoor environments
  • Complex puzzles and evolving quests
  • Combine items to build weapons and traps
  • Interactive game world
  • Recipe-based crafting and enchanting
  • Involving, adaptive storyline with many key players and twists
  • Factions for intriguing political set-ups
  • Tons of monsters to battle
  • Dialogues—yes, you will be in awe at our cool and intelligent dialogue system
  • Cheese toast (This is an inside joke for those of you who have played the “Realms of Arkania” trilogy. If you have not, do not worry, “Deathfire” will give you the opportunity to become a member in the ranks of those initiated in the joke.)

The Kickstarter page has lots of details, new art and in-game renders, and all manner of tiers, add-ons, and stretch goals. The stretch goals are rather ambitious, actually:

This is the best part, really. “Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore” has been designed with expansion in mind, and through stretch goals, we can expand the vision and scale of the game almost seamlessly.

Therefore we are planning a number of stretch goals that will increase the scope of the game. One of our proposed stretch goals will add the player option for tactical Third-Person Combats to the mix, allowing the player to decide whether he wants to switch from a first-person camera to a more removed third-person view for the game’s combats. Another one of our planned stretch goals will add Towns to the game, complete with locations such as Healers, Armorers, Weapon Smiths, Taverns, Temples, and so on. One additional goal we have planned will add an Overhead Map to the game, complete with Overland Travel, Hunting and Gathering. At this point we will no longer have a linear game, but will also add additional main story lines to the game so that you can really go out and explore. Expansions to the crafting and enchanting system could also be part of the game at this stage. It also deserves noting, however, that upon reaching this stretch goal, our development timeline will have to be adjusted by an additional six to eight months, in order to accommodate the design, creation, and implementation of all the additional content and, more importantly, the testing that will be required.

Another stretch goal we have in mind will expand the game to also include a fully editable Journal and Quest Logger.
Shades of Space Shock? Well, before we get there, the game first needs to reach its initial funding goal, which is $390,000. Is this going to be another Thorvalla? We'll soon find out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do these Kickstarters never put their pitch videos on YouTube so we can embed them???

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Pledge $500 or more

NETHERMANCER EDITION—Previous tier reward, plus the ability to play a NETHERMANCER CLASS IN THE GAME! This class is available only to Kickstarter backers at this level and higher!

SRaAUl.jpg

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Sigh. Again with this exclusive drivel, Guido. Pledge out of fanboyism, but I don't like that obvious P2W dumbfuckery and I'm pretty sure that the campaign it's going to fail... hard.

:cry:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I backed at the
Grimoire.jpg
edition!! Not sure if this will make it as I feel KS is running out of steam* until W2, PE, or one of the other big ones delivers. If this one does make it I'll also add-on a strat guide and novel.

*no pun intended :oops:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Henkel, Henkel, Henkel...

Dem Henkel fehlen seine Tassen - im Schrank.

Hmm missing a price tag on the stretch goals. Would like to see how much Towns would cost for example.

getter77

Augur
Really can't fathom the high-roller Nethermancer decision unless it was some horrible miscommunication where they start with the class unlocked and others have to quest for it or some such. As is, a worse decision than telegraphing it as paid DLC ahead of time even. If he has to do something funky with a special class, at least have the sense to go about it in the Desktop Dungeons way.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Geez, these tiers are really overpriced. What happened to unlimited $15 'just the game' like with Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns? With $25 regular price (and $20 early bird), this is positioned similarly to Project Eternity and Tides of Numenera, both of which look much more interesting than Deathfire.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The extend to which this man fails to learn clear lessons taught to him in the past is astonishing.

Thorvalla was a much better idea. It was your pitch and your attitude that sucked, Guido. Now you come back with a pitch just a notch better, yet with an infinitely more boring game and showcasing many of the same mistakes of the first drive. Guido, Guido, Guido.

Well, I wish you luck.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is hilarious!

Should we pool our money together, so we can get "our face on the cover"?... :troll:

Oh, and you can get "Grimoire" as a 45$ Add-On. Good deal there Blakemore.. :smug:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I am not sure which edition I should pledge, but I will pledge most likely. What I like is that any race can combined with any class - unlike MMX, where each class has (predefined) types. It's like MMX preconfigures your characters... like holding hands... a game for dummies. Deathfire is more like Wizardry. Of course one mostly chooses a class fitting to the character, but it's a nice to have and maybe I *want* to create a stupid party.

Despite I'm a bit disappointed we have no furry or reptile races.
And I'm also a bit disappointed that we can't have 6 characters in the party.

Given that was clear from the beginning... but still... why every game only 4 characters? I want an army! 2 optional NPCs make 6 too, but it's not the same.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One of our proposed stretch goals will add the player option for tactical Third-Person Combats to the mix
Shades of Space Shock?

How about shades of Realms of Arkania?

I don't get some of the people here. Whining about not having old-school TB games and when one comes along, all you hear is bitching about some little details.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
One of our proposed stretch goals will add the player option for tactical Third-Person Combats to the mix
Shades of Space Shock?

How about shades of Realms of Arkania?

I don't get some of the people here. Whining about not having old-school TB games and when one comes along, all you hear is bitching about some little details.

I'm not talking about the inherent quality of what he suggested. I'm talking about the bizarre change in scope. It is similar to what the Space Shock guy did.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I can't trust anyone who puts up basic game design choices that lay a foundation for the game as stretch goals or even negotiable.

Also, shades of the new Realms of Arkania, indeed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm not talking about the inherent quality of what he suggested. I'm talking about the bizarre change in scope. It is similar to what the Space Shock guy did.

What bizarre change in scope? Adding a slightly more open-world element instead of a linear game is not a "bizarre change in scope".

He may not be the best marketer, but when it comes to game design he knows what he is doing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What bizarre change in scope? Adding a slightly more open-world element instead of a linear game is not a "bizarre change in scope".

Yes it is, and so is the "optional third person combat".

You're a fucking indie - you pick one thing, and you do it right.

V_K

Arcane
I think that might be a kinda bait - like he knows, that he won't reach those stretch goals, but posts them anyway to get people to pledge more :cool:.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I trust that he knows a thing or two about game design. So this change of scope would be something doable too.

Gord

Arcane
It's not that different from what Larian promised with the NPC schedules, but it's certainly a somewhat ambitious stretch goal.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not that different from what Larian promised with the NPC schedules, but it's certainly a somewhat ambitious stretch goal.

Adding waypoints to some NPCs is similar to changing your combat engine? Hoo boy.

The best takeaway from this is that Guido is a ruthlessly cynical person who was already planning to do whatever pans out. Actually planning to change your game on a fundamental level based on whether or not you raise an extra 50,000 dollars is criminally stupid, so I can only assume this is all just a smokescreen to raise more money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom