Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So I was right with my assumption that this would be Hitman meets Arkane™ immersive sim with a little more focus on lethal playstyles.
Not sure why I'm supposed to hate this?
If the game was more Hitman and less Dishonored-lite, it would actually be interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Looking to add a little more color to the already colorful island of Blackreef? Or maybe you just want Colt to blend in with his Eternalist foes a little better? Join the Arkane Outsiders group for free and receive the “Eternalist Colt” skin, as well as a unique weapon, the “Ever After” Strelak Verso. Get a closer look at both exclusive items in the video and see why being an Arkane Outsider never looked so good.

Visit DEATHLOOP.com to join Arkane Outsiders and receive your items.

:popamole:

copebot

Learned
"Buckbreaking" came out with a game version? Wow, Tariq Nasheed is really going places.

With AI this non-existent and gunplay this bland and meaningless there are only 2 options:

1. They are playing on super easy to "show off" the game, in which case they don't think fighting enemies and shooting guns is an important part of the gameplay in a game where you fight enemies and shoot guns.
2. They are _not_ playing on super easy. In which case there is no gameplay at all.

Why is the player in this video sneaking around or using clever tricks when the deaf and blind enemies, after you manage to alert them, stand directly in front of you and miss repeatedly at midrange?

He dies pretty fast around 3:00 to the guy in the back that he ignored. Guess it can't be too hard because between having to do everything in one life (with two "short rewind" chances) and the invader, few people would be able to finish it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why cant they have tougher enemy types that dont instantly melt to a take down, a power or a headshot? This idea that Arkane has of one sided popamole "combat" (combat in quotes here because for something being a combat there needs to be a real oposition) is the worst thing they have on their games.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why cant they have tougher enemy types that dont instantly melt to a take down, a power or a headshot? This idea that Arkane has of one sided popamole "combat" (combat in quotes here because for something being a combat there needs to be a real oposition) is the worst thing they have on their games.
Personally, I am sick to death of "bullet sponge" enemies and whittling down hp bars. The attempt to design games centered on positioning and initiative instead of shooting the most bullets is to be encouraged imo.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bulletsponging can work though if it is some sort of temporary special power. Like a... shield?
It can be a nutritious part of this balanced breakfast. I simply appreciate games in which a single strike generally takes someone out, opposed to the expectation that every mook needs to be shot in the face at least 3 times.

orcinator

Liturgist
He dies pretty fast around 3:00 to the guy in the back that he ignored. Guess it can't be too hard because between having to do everything in one life (with two "short rewind" chances) and the invader, few people would be able to finish it.
You die pretty fast in Dishonored on the highest difficulty but you basically have to be a jew and ignore the potion button for that to happen. (does this game have potions?)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Your chance to explore the mysterious and dangerous island of Blackreef is just around the corner. Pre-order either the Standard or Deluxe edition of DEATHLOOP now to receive exclusive bonuses including unique weapons, character skins, and more!

PRE-ORDER BONUS (Both Editions)
- Unique Weapon: Royal Protector Machete (PS5 Exclusive)
- Unique Character Skin: "Storm Rider" Colt
- One Trinket (equippable buff)

DELUXE EDITION CONTENT
- Unique Weapon: Transtar Trencher (PS5 Exclusive)
- Unique Weapon: Eat The Rich Tribunal
- Unique Weapon: .44 Karat Fourpounder
- Character Skin: "Party Crasher" Colt
- Character Skin: "Sharp Shooter" Julianna
- Original Game Soundtrack Selections
- Two Trinkets (equippable buffs)

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's pretty likely it's being played on ultra easy mode for that gameplay video. You guys do know that developer/publisher gameplay videos in the current era are the modern equivalent of a bullshot on the back of a box to make things look way better than they are, right? If you had the guy who is playing be actually skilled at the game and playing on an actual hard difficulty he wouldn't be doing all this cinematic slow walking and giving time for narration and shit. Aside from the "look guys i died, but i had this power that lets me retry twice before the loop resets!" which is obviously a part of the video they wanted to show off, if the guy was dying over and over it wouldn't be much of a gameplay video would it, and having to reshoot the same video twenty times to get an outcome that looks good for their bullshot video is time consuming for no reason. You are looking way too far into it if you think this is highest difficulty highest skill level gameplay.

Like, look at this Dishonored 2 gameplay reveal video:

It's all slow paced and everything is deliberate and planned out for the gameplay being shown. The one on one fight with that clockwork soldier is a total joke and clearly played on Easy compared to if you were to try those shenanigans in that room on Very Hard mode.

Were you guys maybe expecting this from your casual easy mode console controller bullshot gameplay footage?

Anyway, kinda disappointed to see Blink as an ability return again, seems Arkane are running out of ideas if they're going to keep putting that in every game they make. If it's in Deathloop it's definitely going to be in Redfall.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Either I'm really out of touch of current pop-a-mole trends, or this game is gonna fucking bomb.
There seems like zero hype around this and it looks so bland and boring.

After reading a lot of the NUU-Arkane dev twitter feeds, I hope I'm right. Their snarky ego's could really use a commercial failure or two. But maybe it's me.

DeepOcean

Arcane

This is what I have problems with, it is extremely easy to knock out and make clockwork soldiers completely useless. Not talking about bullet sponginess, dunno why you guys gone on that tangent, but the designers are so afraid of having anything that is remotely a challenge that they have five or six different easy ways to put down any enemy. I wasnt forced to take a trickier hard to pull off strategy to get rid of enemies, just spam powers, the end.

Also, that clip with Emily destroying guards before they could do anything about it is pretty indicative of Dishonored gameplay even on very hard, very hard only really affected the sensibility meter and the damage and didnt make the Ai smarter or more resistant to powers, yes, sure, they did more damage but you really needed to take an effort and allow yourself to be hit and your powers made their extra sensibility useless anyway. I only enjoyed the games by hunting the Ghost and no kills achievements and exploring the truly great level design, tried a high lethal playthrough and gave up, it just wasnt fun.

This game seems like a more actiony version of Dishonored with simpler level design and level design is what I want and combat is something Arkane isnt good at.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I have a sinking feeling this game is going to end-up being a bad premonition into whatever the fuck that vampire game ends up being. Cosmetics and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom