Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You can play Solo with AI or open the game to a human player.

I don't think there is actual time pressure ingame. I hated that corruption crap in Prey Mooncrash.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just made myself sad at the thought that this is the closest we will ever get to a No One Lives Forever title made by Arkane.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I still think the better way that I hope they implemented is when you turn player invasions on, there is a long interval between one invasion and the other, otherwise the game will be unplayable and shutting down multiplayer isnt a complete solution if they mess up multiplayer as it would just remove one of the best ideas of the game, turning it into discount Dishonored 2. Also, no real time limit is sort of a shame because I like the pressure to optimize a run, the best would be if it was a difficulty option so people who dont like it, can remove it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Official release:

What is Deathloop? Arkane Lyon’s own Dinga Bakaba sheds light on the mysteries of Blackreef and how to break the loop in DEATHLOOP: Explained.

There are a lot of mysteries to solve in DEATHLOOP. What caused the time loop? Who are the Visionaries? Why does everyone on Blackreef seem to have amnesia? Who is Julianna and why is she hunting Colt? Why is everyone on the island wearing masks? How can Colt break the loop and escape the island?

We seek to answer some of these questions with help from Game Director Dinga Bakaba. Welcome to DEATHLOOP: Explained!

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
"As an example, the game director talks about how a Visionary--one of the main targets you must kill to end the loop--may go for a gun after you mess with them, only for you to gun them down. In the next loop, this may cause the same enemy to suffer a case of déjà vu and get the funny feeling that hunting you down won't work out for them. As a result, they may try something else even if you interact with them in the same way, forcing you to enact a contingency plan."

I'd love to see more devs taking a page or two from the Nemesis System (though I'm afraid Arkane is not going too deep into it by how they are handling the Visionaries encounters).

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Now for something unrelated: while looking for Dinga's capoeira stunt during the BE3 rehearsal, I found this tweet...

Maybe the MachineGames + Indiana Jones thing wasn't the only licensing deal Bethesda was working on.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Alternate Aztec Empire....
thinking.png

Pandyssia?

Israfael

Arcane
It seems they are pretty scared that the game won't be well received by people who reject timers and timed approach. Not a good vibe, but at least it's something completely different to what AAA usually offers (not that this looks like an AAA game anyways)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems they are pretty scared that the game won't be well received by people who reject timers and timed approach. Not a good vibe, but at least it's something completely different to what AAA usually offers (not that this looks like an AAA game anyways)
Time pressure in gaming only really works when it's immediate. A racing level you have to complete in 3 minutes is fun ... a long form game where you have to complete 8 convoluted levels in 24 hours, not so much. You'd end up either rushing levels, hurrying past content that would be worth seeing if you weren't so stressed, and finishing with 10 hours to spare, which is hardly thrilling; or taking a more measured approach, then realizing you only have 4 hours left on the last 3 levels, which are supposed to take 3 hours each, so you might as well just quit.

For a project like this, it makes sense to use "movie time", i.e. however much time it takes to tell the story is how much time it takes. The characters may believe they're under pressure, but the director/player can set a pace that feels right to them.

Time pressure in gaming only really works when it's immediate. A racing level you have to complete in 3 minutes is fun ... a long form game where you have to complete 8 convoluted levels in 24 hours, not so much. You'd end up either rushing levels, hurrying past content that would be worth seeing if you weren't so stressed, and finishing with 10 hours to spare, which is hardly thrilling; or taking a more measured approach, then realizing you only have 4 hours left on the last 3 levels, which are supposed to take 3 hours each, so you might as well just quit.

In a linear game, sure. But from what we've seen of this project it's an open-world roguelite, and an overarching timer absolutely makes sense in that context (Mooncrash is the proof in the pudding, although its timers were far too lax).

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
(Mooncrash is the proof in the pudding, although its timers were far too lax).
That's what I'm saying - despite the fact that the timer can be totally negated by mass-spamming the hourglass thingies (and I got the recipe fairly late into the game, many people can get it straight away), 90% of the negative comments in Mooncrash letsplays and reviews on steam basically revolve about "muh timer" and how it hurts people's enjoyment of the game (which is basically built around it, but they don't get it somehow). I guess, Arkane devs took that impression into their hearts :roll:

Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the timer in Mooncrash. I don't pretend to be particularly good at videogames, but it's such a softball timer that the only time I actually saw the maxed out corruption level was when I actively dicked around for 20 minutes because I wanted to see the timer fail-state.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah I've never understood the complaints about the timer in Mooncrash. I don't pretend to be particularly good at videogames, but it's such a softball timer that the only time I actually saw the maxed out corruption level was when I actively dicked around for 20 minutes because I wanted to see the timer fail-state.

Exploration and time limits are antithetical: exploration works best when you can freely waste your time "exploring" the world which is very hard to do when the game is telling you to hurry up and you don't know the real level of urgency.

Most people don't want to test the level of urgency because it kills their immersion hence a catch-22: either they check the hidden timer and it ruins their immersion or they don't check, they rush the game and in the end they feel unsatisfied because they could not explore properly.

Also it's funny that you say you don't understand the complains considering that the hidden timer bothered you so much that you had to "check" its urgency level for yourself ;)

Last edited:

Exploration and time limits are antithetical: exploration works best when you can freely waste your time "exploring" the world which is very hard to do when the game is telling you to hurry up and you don't know the real level of urgency.

Most people don't want to test the level of urgency because it kills their immersion hence a catch-22: either they check the hidden timer and it ruins their immersion or they don't check, they rush the game and in the end they feel unsatisfied because they could not explore properly.

Also it's funny that you say you don't understand the complains considering that the hidden timer bothered you so much that you had to "check" its urgency level for yourself ;)

It’s not hidden, it’s explicit in the HUD and very gamey (which is fine). The reason I had to check it was because I was nearing 100% completion and there was an entire fail state I had never seen because the game was too timid to make the timer anything more than a minor nuisance in the early game.

JDR13

Arcane
In what way is this game a roguelite? Afaik, nothing about the environment is randomly generated.

Israfael

Arcane
How so? The game world is persistent (apart from various environmental hazards / power/ transportation issues), you can explore to your hearts content within the time limits, going to another zone / changing exploratory strategies if it expired. Some people are just afraid of timers regardless of what they do and how they work, that's it, no rational explanation needed. Also, there's difference between goals-based exploration and mindless TES-like hiking (it'd be actually great if there were some sort of slow timer in the original game that was tied, for example, to O2 generators or power plants of the station, but it'd be even less palatable for people who like turtle-paced 'explorashun'). Just imagine you could just slowly search for the key card to the janitor room, it'd kill all the suspense and tension.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
In what way is this game a roguelite? Afaik, nothing about the environment is randomly generated.
Every time you die and restart you lose your gear and abilities and have to acquire them again. Until a certain point in the story which allows you to keep them after death.
There's more info here:
https://www.gamesradar.com/deathloo...rst-person-shooters-for-ps5/#article-comments

There's not a whole lot of info yet, presumably because of story spoilers.

Someone also mentioned that targets have different behaviors from one loop to another. They also behave differently if you managed to kill them in a previous cycle and they remember it and prepare for it or make some changes. I can't confirm this though.

Edit 1: kinda like it was in Mooncrash, with the mule bot transferring gear from one character to another and environment suffering random modifications. I assume. This is just Mooncrash: The full game, so I wouldn't really expect random world generation. Just what they are able to do in Mooncrash.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Someone also mentioned that targets have different behaviors from one loop to another. They also behave differently if you managed to kill them in a previous cycle and they remember it and prepare for it or make some changes. I can't confirm this though.

This sounds like one of those PR pipe dreams. Something they say to hype a game that gets cut entirely or ends up being trivial. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom