Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Siel, Jun 10, 2019.

1. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    The combat looks like shit, especially on how he just recovered pretty much the whole damage he got on the middle of the fight and how the Ai missed shots when shooting right on his face, also the enemies seem to be way too hesitant into shooting him, maybe it is a normal difficulty thing but it isnt impressive, maybe this is a case of the hard difficulty is the true normal difficulty game like most popamolers, we will see.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge

• decline x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Interesting x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Didnt know about that. I remember when they got adaptative difficulty on RE 4, basically you ended punished by playing well and rewarded by being lazy, people eventually figured out what triggered the changes and started exploiting the hell out of it. They had to reintroduce a static difficulty system with RE 5 because of it, while the game still had the same adaptative difficulty, it worked on bands determined by difficulty choice.

It is a very easy system to fuck up because it is hard to translate player performance into metrics, balance is also a nightmare because it is hard to play test, it is also can cause anomalies like the player killing enemies easy to suddenly being one shotted by the same enemies a few rooms later, in theory, makes sense but there is a reason why most games dont use it. We will see if it will be different this time.

^ Top  
  4. Nark Cipher

Nark
    I've yet to play a game which smugly boasts an adaptive difficulty system that actually does it well, it's usually just fucking bad in practice.

I'm also thinking about how aids it's going to be to have a game which has difficulty modes (albeit hidden/adaptive) also having "invasions". Dark Souls doesn't have difficulty modes, you know what to expect of the enemy AI while you are being invaded. If I invade someone who has been playing well vs the AI he's going to get aids from trying to fight me while I use the enemy AI to my advantage, conversely the enemies might as well not even exist if I invade someone who has been playing poorly and thus has them set to easy mode. This really doesn't scream consistent to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Exploiters gotta exploit. I remember RE4 as a consistently challenging and deeply enjoyable game.

Anyone who looks up ways to break the system only has themselves to blame if the game ends up broken. In a single-player title, this behavior is known as "pathetic".

I don't disagree here. Time will tell if this is put together with the right amount of pushback. Hopefully they throw enough $ at testers, and iterate enough, to make it fun.

Of course it isn't. So what? You worried about your leaderboard rank?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Consistency is the first thing that dies on an adaptive system.

^ Top  
  7. 1451 Seeker In My Safe Space

Deathloop requires merely 30 gb of space while Dishonored 2 required 60. Another sign of the game's short duration.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Oh dear it has an annoying Arkane signature alert sound whenever spotted by enemies, like in Dishonored and Prey. It's probably the most obnoxious here too.
    Combat looks rather popamole and not unique in any way. I also enjoyed at 2:32 when the AI all reflexively at the same time dive-dodged away from the player's grenade, none of them escaped the explosion regardless despite it not even being cooked, and one of them seemingly knocked himself out by diving head first into the workstation :lol:

Still, I'm not writing off the game just yet.

What if the player stumbles upon the exploit naturally in-game? Exploits are bad, but thankfully most developer's intent is to not feature any and are always questioning whether or not x feature being implemented could be exploited.

Adaptive difficulty is lame pussy dev shit but Resident Evil 4 is forgiven in this regard: its professional difficulty mode has no adaptive difficulty. "Game rank" is set to 10 and everything stays consistent, no matter how many times you die.

The only form of adaptive difficulty I find to be suitable is those equivalent to DMC1's: if you die often, the game offers you to lower the difficulty to easy mode. But there is no going back from this if accepted without starting a new game, you are forced on easy mode and do not get the unlocks, general game experience, rank bonuses or sense of accomplishment you would otherwise get beating the game on a higher difficulty. Even this is barely acceptable because challenge is something you have to come to understand and appreciate in video games, and the only way that can happen is struggling through it without option for a truckload of handicaps. In real life, humans are often averse to struggle & challenge. It can also often bring out the worst in us, or the best in us. Ultimately though, natural differing player skill level is a thing. And Arkane have never been good with difficulty design right from the start with Arx Fatalis, and since then they have only gotten worse. It's one of the major failings of their latest handful of games in particular.
    I was hoping this game would be different, especially given they had done away with unrestricted saving.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Math! Math! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

• Math! Math! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. conan_edw Savant Patron

conan_edw
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Seems to be well received, way more than I expected.

• gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Math! x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    GOTY?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    It's a new IP. They tried something new. It seems to have come off.

Will reserve judgement till I play myself but if all the above are true the reviews are probably deserved.

^ Top  
  14. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    So proper play is punished?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Yeah, after listening to ACG's review I expected the mainstream sites to dole out 7s and 8s.

^ Top  
  16. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Damn, Psychonauts 2, Wrath of the Rivhteous, and Deathloop all coming out within a month of each other? 2021 is shaping up to be a much better year for releases than any other in recent memory.

Now if I only had more time to actually play games.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • No No x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Game looks too easy, so I'll wait for prestigious Codexer reviews first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    The game unlocks for me in an hour. I'll give high-end PC port impressions.
    https://opencritic.com/game/10993/deathloop
    Hopefully there's enough people playing in NZ/AUS to test out the invasion-style PvP, that's really what I want to do. Been waiting to do that in Arkane's games since The Crossing was announced.

^ Top  
  20. Siel Arcane Patron

Siel
    Damn I want to play this but my GTX 970 don't event meet the min requirements. Could play nu-Prey on decent settings so that's kinda strange.

^ Top  
  21. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Played the intro. Mechanics are pretty straightforward, you've got a remote hackamajig for hacking shit and making distractions. Guns jam. Colt's an enjoyable character. Middle of the night sadly, gotta wait until after work tomorrow to really get into it.

Also there's a cheevo for trying to use The Code(tm)

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 8GB, very high setting, 1080p, currently running at 55-75fps (I lock it at 75 cuz I don't like seeing my GPU temp goes over 80C).

Sadly I can't capture FPS counter since the game crashes when I enable MSI Afterburner.
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-12-deathloop-review

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Siel Arcane Patron

Siel
    Whats your system and does it seems stable?

^ Top  
  25. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    The game runs really well on my system (2700X/6900XT with 32GB of memory and a PCI-E 4.0 NVMe) at ultrawide 1440p/75-100FPS on a mixture of high/very high/ultra settings. If I use FSR Ultra Quality mode it's basically locked at my refresh rate. The game looks great in motion. Load times are under five seconds.

No comments on gameplay yet but I do appreciate the kick being back. Also interactions with things like bottles are actually animated, they're not just floating in your invisible hands anymore.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.