Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Siel

Arcane
Patron
employed by completely different people.

But you are wrong just check your facts. One of the only heads that quit was Raf. The 2006 team is still mostly here. Lead lever designer Carrier, gameplay lead Bakaba, Art director, concept art lead, Dan Todd from the Thief modding scene. They're all still working at Lyon.
Same goes for Austin with Ricardo Bare and Smith

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
60 bucks is essentially less than an hour of work for me at this point in my life. It’s not really that big of an investment.

And so it begins.. Who could of predicted thi-

You've already drunk the koolaid so if it's bad I don't wanna see any limp wrist rationalizations of:
"It's not the best game.. b-b-but I enjoyed it for a few hours.. and a Movie Theatre ticket + popcorn costs 20 bucks s-s-so..."

60 bucks is essentially less than an hour of work for me at this point in my life. It’s not really that big of an investment.

You've already drunk the koolaid so if it's bad I don't wanna see any limp wrist rationalizations of:
"It's not the best game.. b-b-but I enjoyed it for a few hours.. and a Movie Theatre ticket + popcorn costs 20 bucks s-s-so..."
*Shrug* Bluntly I really don’t care if you listen to what I say. I think if you look through my post history you’ll see that I don’t have much trouble being critical of things I dislike, regardless of medium and even if they’re part of a package that I overall like (you also might notice that I frequently echo Ron Gilbert’s mantra regarding game pricing; I’m lucky enough to be extremely financially secure at this point in my life, but obviously 60 bucks has very different values for different people).
Am I predisposed to like Deathloop? Perhaps slightly, but there are a zillion things that it could do to piss me off and piss away any goodwill.
I am however definitely willing to give it a chance. If that’s your definition of bias, so be it (although it is a somewhat humorously self-defeating one).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

*Shrug* Bluntly I really don’t care if you listen to what I say. I think if you look through my post history you’ll see that I don’t have much trouble being critical of things I dislike, regardless of medium and even if they’re part of a package that I overall like (you also might notice that I frequently echo Ron Gilbert’s mantra regarding game pricing; I’m lucky enough to be extremely financially secure at this point in my life, but obviously 60 bucks has very different values for different people).
Am I predisposed to like Deathloop? Perhaps slightly, but there are a zillion things that it could do to piss me off and piss away any goodwill.
I am however definitely willing to give it a chance. If that’s your definition of bias, so be it (although it is a somewhat humorously self-defeating one).

> Buys game they have zero interest in to keep a company afloat (By self admission)
> "Actually I have a very nuanced opinion and I'm quite critical so you can trust me..!"

Hmm...

You can stop showboating about how much money you make by the way. I don't care if the game is sitting in a bargain bin for 10 bucks.

If it's boring shit, it's boring shit.

> Buys game they have zero interest in to keep a company afloat (By self admission)
Erm, I didn't say I have zero interest in it, I said I don't have much interest in it, and implied that most of what interest I do have is due to the dev team's pedigree, not what I've seen of the game.

> "Actually I have a very nuanced opinion and I'm quite critical so you can trust me..!"
Again, really don't care if you listen to me. You're not someone I interact with regularly on this forum, I don't know what your personal tastes are, and I have long ago adopted a general philosophy of not caring what random strangers think. That said, if my forthcoming analysis of the game gives some random stranger insight or food for thought, that's great! I hope they will engage in informed conversation about what they agree and disagree with me about; the tumbling together of ideas polishes them all.
You can stop showboating about how much money you make by the way.
Wasn't my intention, but fair.

If it's boring shit, it's boring shit.
100% agreed. We'll see if Deathloop is boring shit!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Game releases tonight.. Not even in the top 10 of best sellers for Steam..?
Looking for threads or 4chan discussion, almost nothing other than the occasional racist shit post..

This is a AAA Arkane title right? It's releasing tonight Right???

Why is it being outsold by Warframe and fucking Red Dead Redemption 2 on the night of it's release...?
Am I misreading something? :lol:

<3sRichardSimmons better whip out your wallet.. you got a few more copies to buy to save this..

https://steamdb.info/app/1252330/graphs/

Hopefully this Score / Player Count improves.. a lot.. otherwise...

AMFTfym.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have on steam, Dishonored 1, 2 and Prey, supposedly I would be the target audience but if they didnt even manage to convince me, imagine normies that dont give a shit about immersive sims.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have on steam, Dishonored 1, 2 and Prey, supposedly I would be the target audience but if they didnt even manage to convince me, imagine normies that dont give a shit about immersive sims.

I'm in the same boat, add all the Dishonored DLC on top of it.
Unfortunately I enjoy tight story lines and stealth mechanics over co-op shooty-shooty.

The more I see of this game, the worse it looks.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Arkane back at it again to grace us with another shoddily optimized PC port for $60 +tip? They shouldn't have! Seems like they didn't learn from PREY either and dropped the ball on marketing again, everywhere I look nobody has a clue what this game even is.
Fuck this shit, I'll wait for Weird West.
Xfq8Hen.png

Looking for threads or 4chan discussion, almost nothing other than the occasional racist shit post..

Why is it being outsold by Warframe and fucking Red Dead Redemption 2 on the night of it's release...?

<3sRichardSimmons better whip out your wallet.. you got a few more copies to buy to save this..

https://steamdb.info/app/1252330/graphs/

AMFTfym.png
I very much expected this to flop. It’s more a tilting at windmills thing for me.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Maybe after the game gets released?

Game is out Across China / Australia / Europe.
5000 Players.

:popcorn:

Anyways I'm pretty sure... I said "Hopefully this Score / Player count improves"

It's out in North America now too.. but granted it's really late. (Midnight on East Coast)

I'm actually curious how this game legitimately will do.

Right now I am just shit posting.

Ash

Arcane
…DMoMaM is actually my least favorite Arkane game, and the only one I’ve never finished. I guess I’ll have to turn in my Codex Cool Kid Card now.

Arx Fatalis >> Prey > Dark Messiah.

Dishonored is far too casual and uninspired (aside from the setting & art direction I guess) to make my grade.

…DMoMaM is actually my least favorite Arkane game, and the only one I’ve never finished. I guess I’ll have to turn in my Codex Cool Kid Card now.

Arx Fatalis >> Prey > Dark Messiah.

Dishonored is far too casual and uninspired (aside from the setting & art direction I guess) to make my grade.

Dishonored 1 was pretty bland with tiny and simplistic levels, but 2 had some really amazing and intricate ones, orders of magnitude better. Did you play the second one?

Ash

Arcane
No. Level design is pretty good in every Arkane game and that is noteworthy, but with dishonored 1 the core gameplay is too casual, destroying the relevance of the level design. What is the point in multiple paths, intended gameplay C&C, and exploration-heavy levels when you're an OP god that doesn't need to engage with any of that, and no choices matter or require any actual thought risk/reward consideration? Throw on top all the hand-holding that may be optional, but is enabled by default. One more thing: with Dishonored 1 at least, the level design is nice and open with lots of verticality, but there is next to fuck all challenge in that regard also (puzzles, platforming, traps, enemy placement) that the end result is actually not that great level design, but traversing it with blink doing daring acrobatics is what makes it interesting. Hopefully that at least had changed in Dish 2, but I doubt it. I'm not too concerned about the size of the levels as D1 size was fine, but rather the engaging content (or lack thereof) within and whether or not the core gameplay design ruins all meaning to exploration/paths taken/assassination methods/overall balance etc.

Still better than Bioshock, at least.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some early impressions:

This game actually isn't an immersive sim, but more like Outer Wilds + Hitman WoA trilogy if I'm trying to reach here. There are 4 areas with different locations where you can find various clues both related and non-related to the main 8 targets. Day-night cycle plays a huge part here, some targets will only appear in a specific location at noon, another might work at a facility in the morning, and two targets might meet somewhere at night. Enemy placement also differs at night, much more roaming guards and turrets, which makes sense because... the Visionaries party at night. It's more handholdy than Outer Wilds at this investigation aspect as everything you learn is neatly put into the journal but it's really needed, trust me you won't be able to keep track of them all just by memory.

One thing the game is really good at is giving direction to players and this is where I'd recommend turning off objective marker for a few reasons. First, there's these typographies that appear in the environment that looks like Colt's inner monologue, they can often tell you which one is the wrong way and hint at what you're looking for once you approach a location. Second, the objectives themselves give clues to where you need to be, for example, an early encounter with Juliana had her tell me that my flat is on the second floor next to the cliffside. Some locations that you aren't familiar with gonna take a while to find out, like a boatsman building at the far end of the island. Each time you enter and exit a location, time passes, but you can choose to advance to noon or night at the preparation menu.

There are of course sidetracks that you can stumble upon organically. I walked into this underground tunnel and found a strange dude behind a glass panel, ended up with me turning the wrong valve and I died from poisoning. That's where the loop comes in.

Weapons come in color-coded tiers but they have distinct modifiers, not different stats. So a hand cannon can shoot poison or deal more damage against marked enemies. Trinkets are like Dishonored's charms but for guns. Quite early in the game you can do a mission for the ability to infuse - keep your gear the next time you die. I haven't died yet so I don't know if you get to keep ALL the gears you infused in the last run, but considering the game allows you to infuse lots of stuffs, I'm pretty sure that's the case. To infuse you need a resource called residuum collected from items with anomaly effects or killing Visionaries. Residuum resets once you start a new run.

There's this mechanic whose name keeps escaping my head. When you're fatally killed, the game teleports you back to a location that you've already been through and continue doing business. There are two charges of this. The first time I died from falling into cold water, the game really teleported me to a moment where I was mid-air jumping between ice blocks and I felt again. Ironic for a guy named Colt.

Slabs are Dishonored-like powers, mana always regen to maximum so feel free to go wild, keep in mind there's no mana vial for instant fill, but you can equip a trinket (I think?) that can trade health when your mana runs out. Slabs also reset each run like normal gears and you can only get them from Visionaries. Killing Juliana in PvP always net you the Slab that the other player had equipped and shit tons of residuum.

Juliana has a separate progression system where you level up Hunter ranks to unlock new gears and slabs. She starts with Billie Lurk's Semblance that allows you to take the appearance of an Eternalist you choose. There's a list of challenges you can do to level up Hunter rank quicker. PvP in general is pretty fun, I had one trying to chase me through the first location just to fall off the cliff. The lag is unbearable though, two players slicing each with melee and the game might have a hard time deciding which one hit first.

About the most noticeably bad part, yeah the AI is expectedly pretty stupid, you can execute one enemy and the one right next to them wouldn't hear a thing. Going loud might be a bit more challenging since guns do hit hard, but again, the enemies are pretty easy to cheese. Keep in mind this is early game so dynamic difficulty hasn't kicked in yet.

Voice acting and dialogue are really good and hilarious at times. Colt's actor plays a confused cartoonish murder machine really well.

Last edited:

Anomander

Educated

Maybe I don't know something but this game looks like it's for nobody. It's some kind of roguelike, so majority of Dishonored and Prey players don't care.
Maybe they gunning for Fortnite players or something like that, but nobody cares.

PrettyDeadman

Prey Mooncrash was recieved pretty well? Its also some kind of "roguelike". So far it seems like that random dlc game mode had more success than their new title.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda have no fucking idea how to sell Arkane's games and it's a tragedy. Apparently after Dishonored 2 and Prey faceplanted, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed to behead their marketing team. Almost a decade of failure now, holy shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bethesda have no fucking idea how to sell Arkane's games and it's a tragedy. Apparently after Dishonored 2 and Prey faceplanted, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed to behead their marketing team. Almost a decade of failure now, holy shit.
how would you sell Deathloop?

kangaxx

Arbiter
Prey Mooncrash was recieved pretty well? Its also some kind of "roguelike". So far it seems like that random dlc game mode had more success than their new title.

Agreed, but it was a roguelike immersive sim and it was attached to a (IMO great) game that had a cult following. The problem is that Deathloop looks to be a "roguelike shooter based on Dishonered's high chaos fighting mechanics", and for me it fails the "so what" test.

I'm sure some people will like it but I'd rather Arkane stick to making immersive sims. There are precious few studios making them these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom