Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Wunderbar

Arcane
Game's concept is too outlandish to sell to mainstream audience. Even now that we know what this game is about, I struggle to come up with a concise description that could've been used to lure new players. A first-person Hotline Miami with superpowers? A first-person Souls-like?

PrettyDeadman

Prey Mooncrash was recieved pretty well? Its also some kind of "roguelike". So far it seems like that random dlc game mode had more success than their new title.

Agreed, but it was a roguelike immersive sim and it was attached to a (IMO great) game that had a cult following. The problem is that Deathloop looks to be a "roguelike shooter based on Dishonered's high chaos fighting mechanics", and for me it fails the "so what" test.

I'm sure some people will like it but I'd rather Arkane stick to making immersive sims. There are precious few studios making them these days.
Looks like there will be one less studio making immersive sims after this videogame.

Ash

Arcane
Good. Let it die. It died with Deus Ex: Invisible War or Bioshock decades ago. No game has ever lived up to the 90s classics, except maybe Arx Fatalis. The thing is they're not even trying either. Not surprising when with Arx Fatalis they did try and that nearly was the end of them right from the beginning.

Trithne

Erudite
Maybe I don't know something but this game looks like it's for nobody. It's some kind of roguelike, so majority of Dishonored and Prey players don't care.
Maybe they gunning for Fortnite players or something like that, but nobody cares.

Honestly I'm all for it in theory - I like the idea of a tighter experience that calls for optimisation, and death being incorporated into the game in a way that is anything other than reloading is a plus for me. I liked Mooncrash for similar reasons.

I don't know if anything is actually randomised in DL, like the random hazards in Mooncrash, but I'd like to see that.

Game's concept is too outlandish to sell to mainstream audience. Even now that we know what this game is about, I struggle to come up with a concise description that could've been used to lure new players. A first-person Hotline Miami with superpowers? A first-person Souls-like?
Dishonored spin-off with roguelite elements, neither of those aspects is too obscure.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Good. Let it die. It died with Deus Ex: Invisible War or Bioshock decades ago. No game has ever lived up to the 90s classics, except maybe Arx Fatalis. The thing is they're not even trying either. Not surprising when with Arx Fatalis they did try and that nearly was the end of them right from the beginning.

I'd rather have Prey/Dishonored than not. Even if they don't quite measure up to the classics there's a load of fun to be had for fans of the genre.

Ash

Arcane
the game concept isn't outlandish at all. Rogue-like elements. popamole FPS. awesome button Stealth. Pretty par for the course these days (unfortunately, mostly). What is outlandish is the non-game parts, the art/characters/setting/premise. It all comes across as... very lame. the dialogue sounded horrible from some short footage I saw, a setting where people party endlessly, that's not actually particularly interesting, only teenagers think that is cool, colt seems rather generic or at least marketing has thus far failed to sell him, then the gameplay looks pretty run of the mill on top of that. Like it plays it too safe. Combat seems like Call of Duty with powers. That's been done hundreds of times since 2002 or whatever, even Call of Duty itself did that eventually. Every other popamole game seems like it did it better than this however: Crysis, Rage 2, Wolfenstien 2009, whatever. Hell even Fallout 4​

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

I'd rather have Prey/Dishonored than not. Even if they don't quite measure up to the classics there's a load of fun to be had for fans of the genre.

Prey I may agree. dishonored is just shit though. Mostly mindless gameplay.

ADL

Prophet
Bethesda have no fucking idea how to sell Arkane's games and it's a tragedy. Apparently after Dishonored 2 and Prey faceplanted, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed to behead their marketing team. Almost a decade of failure now, holy shit.
how would you sell Deathloop?
Hire stealthgamerbr as a consultant and have him do the gameplay trailers. Ezpz

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dishonored spin-off with roguelite elements, neither of those aspects is too obscure.
and yet, Dishonored 2 bombed in sales.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Bethesda have no fucking idea how to sell Arkane's games and it's a tragedy. Apparently after Dishonored 2 and Prey faceplanted, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed to behead their marketing team. Almost a decade of failure now, holy shit.
Sawyer stream:

Yeah, they really have no idea how to advertise it. :smug:

Israfael

Arcane
, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed
If they really wanted to make Arkane a cash cow they would not allow them to experiment with an idea that was generally poorly received by the audience (check the completion % of Mooncrash, it's been like 1% or something like that on any difficulty, on par with masochistic Halo 2 Insane mode)

Wunderbar

Arcane
(check the completion % of Mooncrash, it's been like 1% or something like that on any difficulty, on par with masochistic Halo 2 Insane mode)
Achievement completion rates don't take into account whether players bought the DLC or not.
1% completion could mean that the DLC was bought by 1% of the entire Prey playerbase, and then 100% of them finished it.

Lambach

Arcane
Sawyer stream:

I obviously didn't watch the whole hour and a half of some autistic cuck playing a game and providing his inane commentary, so I might be wrong, but from what I did see I gotta say, Christ almighty, this just looks dull as dirt. The dialogs fucking reek of Youngblood too.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!"
"I want you...... to not suck (tee-hee)"

46usrk.png

Dexter

Arcane
Hopefully this Score / Player Count improves.. a lot.. otherwise...
Are you a Games Journalist by any chance? https://archive.is/ZPXDR
DLoop.jpg

Also of course they're going to give it 10/10 and whatever, it has the Black Panther Bonus. If these shitty sites go under Infinitron will be the most affected here, because he can't keep spamming reviews from shitty Woke "Gaming Journalist" sites like EuroGamer and Polygon only he and maybe 2-3 other people care about.

Israfael

Arcane
(check the completion % of Mooncrash, it's been like 1% or something like that on any difficulty, on par with masochistic Halo 2 Insane mode)
Achievement completion rates don't take into account whether players bought the DLC or not.
1% completion could mean that the DLC was bought by 1% of the entire Prey playerbase, and then 100% of them finished it.
Yes, which either means people did buy the DLC and did not finish it or they didn't even buy it. Just read some comments on Youtube, there're many complaints about Mooncrash by the storyfag crowd (muh plot, muh timerzz, muh repetitive experience) and lots of comments in vein of "I could enjoy this if someone modded out the timer from the DLC".

Steezus

Savant
Patron

It's less about selling concepts and more about just pumping out trailers and featurettes to stay in the zeitgeist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom