Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Siel, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Bethesda have no fucking idea how to sell Arkane's games and it's a tragedy. Apparently after Dishonored 2 and Prey faceplanted, they decided that the problem was that Arkane weren't making the right kind of games and not that they needed to behead their marketing team. Almost a decade of failure now, holy shit.

• Agree x 8
    • Funny x 4
    • Despair x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    how would you sell Deathloop?

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    Agreed, but it was a roguelike immersive sim and it was attached to a (IMO great) game that had a cult following. The problem is that Deathloop looks to be a "roguelike shooter based on Dishonered's high chaos fighting mechanics", and for me it fails the "so what" test.

I'm sure some people will like it but I'd rather Arkane stick to making immersive sims. There are precious few studios making them these days.

^ Top  
  4. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Game's concept is too outlandish to sell to mainstream audience. Even now that we know what this game is about, I struggle to come up with a concise description that could've been used to lure new players. A first-person Hotline Miami with superpowers? A first-person Souls-like?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh, what a shame.

Can we get something more like Dark Messiah now?

• Despair x 3
    • No x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looks like there will be one less studio making immersive sims after this videogame.

• incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Good. Let it die. It died with Deus Ex: Invisible War or Bioshock decades ago. No game has ever lived up to the 90s classics, except maybe Arx Fatalis. The thing is they're not even trying either. Not surprising when with Arx Fatalis they did try and that nearly was the end of them right from the beginning.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    Honestly I'm all for it in theory - I like the idea of a tighter experience that calls for optimisation, and death being incorporated into the game in a way that is anything other than reloading is a plus for me. I liked Mooncrash for similar reasons.

I don't know if anything is actually randomised in DL, like the random hazards in Mooncrash, but I'd like to see that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Dishonored spin-off with roguelite elements, neither of those aspects is too obscure.

^ Top  
  10. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    I'd rather have Prey/Dishonored than not. Even if they don't quite measure up to the classics there's a load of fun to be had for fans of the genre.

^ Top  
  11. Ash Arcane

Ash
    the game concept isn't outlandish at all. Rogue-like elements. popamole FPS. awesome button Stealth. Pretty par for the course these days (unfortunately, mostly). What is outlandish is the non-game parts, the art/characters/setting/premise. It all comes across as... very lame. the dialogue sounded horrible from some short footage I saw, a setting where people party endlessly, that's not actually particularly interesting, only teenagers think that is cool, colt seems rather generic or at least marketing has thus far failed to sell him, then the gameplay looks pretty run of the mill on top of that. Like it plays it too safe. Combat seems like Call of Duty with powers. That's been done hundreds of times since 2002 or whatever, even Call of Duty itself did that eventually. Every other popamole game seems like it did it better than this however: Crysis, Rage 2, Wolfenstien 2009, whatever. Hell even Fallout 4​

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Sawyer stream:

• decline decline x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Prey I may agree. dishonored is just shit though. Mostly mindless gameplay.

^ Top  
  14. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    The Steam reviews are angry about the performance, apparently caused by DRM stuff.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    Hire stealthgamerbr as a consultant and have him do the gameplay trailers. Ezpz

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    and yet, Dishonored 2 bombed in sales.

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Yeah, they really have no idea how to advertise it. :smug:

^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    How do you market a game whose target audience doesn't exist?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Senior employee at Microsoft attempts to attract attention to poorly selling Microsoft product.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    What part of the world (or form of reality) do you live in? It was in top (in two forms) both in local and global sales in my Steam

^ Top  
  21. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    If they really wanted to make Arkane a cash cow they would not allow them to experiment with an idea that was generally poorly received by the audience (check the completion % of Mooncrash, it's been like 1% or something like that on any difficulty, on par with masochistic Halo 2 Insane mode)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Achievement completion rates don't take into account whether players bought the DLC or not.
    1% completion could mean that the DLC was bought by 1% of the entire Prey playerbase, and then 100% of them finished it.

^ Top  
  23. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    I obviously didn't watch the whole hour and a half of some autistic cuck playing a game and providing his inane commentary, so I might be wrong, but from what I did see I gotta say, Christ almighty, this just looks dull as dirt. The dialogs fucking reek of Youngblood too.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!"
    "I want you...... to not suck (tee-hee)"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Are you a Games Journalist by any chance? https://archive.is/ZPXDR
    [​IMG]

Also of course they're going to give it 10/10 and whatever, it has the Black Panther Bonus. If these shitty sites go under Infinitron will be the most affected here, because he can't keep spamming reviews from shitty Woke "Gaming Journalist" sites like EuroGamer and Polygon only he and maybe 2-3 other people care about.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    Yes, which either means people did buy the DLC and did not finish it or they didn't even buy it. Just read some comments on Youtube, there're many complaints about Mooncrash by the storyfag crowd (muh plot, muh timerzz, muh repetitive experience) and lots of comments in vein of "I could enjoy this if someone modded out the timer from the DLC".

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.