Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Siel, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What happened with Arkane is that Dishonored 1 sold relatively well for a new IP. Bethesda thought they had a new hit franchise on their hands and invested much more in the sequel but instead of selling more it sold less. It's like what happened to Deadfire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    And yet, this guy who worked on Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and the Prey DLCs is heading the design of this game.

Perhaps the problem is Bethesda management, for allowing people to fail upwards. This asshole started his carrier as a QA tester and failed all the way up to being a lead designer on this turd.

In other words, the problem seems to be management.

• Yes x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Child of Malkav Arbiter

Child of Malkav
    I said it before, Arkane is on its way out. If this is a flop they're done. Redfall won't even have a trace of the imsim design their games are known to incorporate. They'll just be reduced to online fps shooters or other crap like that or QA testers. Sad. We'll be left with Otherside Entertainment and maybe Wolfeye Studios assuming Weird West is actually good and successful commercially.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Child of Malkav Arbiter

Child of Malkav
    Bethesda like to screw other studios so this doesn't come as a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    This game is a metaphor for the endless loop of black-on-black violence. A very bold statement to make by Arkane.

• Funny x 22
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Hmm, I wonder if the major changes to the storytelling could have something to do with that...

If your methodology is "last game sold well, lets spend way more money" but you ALSO go into "let's completely change the style", you are, at the very least, taking a huge fucking risk.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Dunno what you guys smoking, but Dishonored 2 is an objectively better game than D1 in every way possible

• Agree Agree x 9
    • No No x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Fucking lol.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    I have a different opinion then most.
    Pre-Microsoft buyout I would 100% agree.. They were one step away from Bethesda carving this company up for parts and shit canning the whole thing.

I think Microsoft though just has too much Fuck you money to care about poor sales - their goal is all about game pass adoption.
    When your goal is a subscription service that appeals to the widest demographic possible a niche title that can capture an audience your big titles don't are still valuable.

You want as wide of a net - and your poor selling games are mitigated by your cash cows.

TL;DR I think Arkane will continue to float along releasing shit nobody cares about because they are offset by the success of others and it gives Microsoft another exclusive to shill.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    ... [​IMG]
    Not seeing the contradiction. Enlighten me.

^ Top  
  11. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Genuinely interested on why you think D1 is the better game.

^ Top  
  12. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    Just my opinion of course: in terms of gameplay and looks it's worse, but in terms of narrative and actually giving a fuck about what's going on... I much prefer D1. D2 just felt like an excuse for more Dishonored assault courses. They should have made it about a completely different set of characters, maybe with some cross over with the original to keep the 'fan' happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, I can't see any "market" that they're going for, except the grindhouse genre, which has nothing to do with gameplay.

I will say that I personally like the pitch for the game: essentially it's a puzzle game framed as a first-person shooter; you have to tour the levels multiple times, to find all the pieces to position your targets and knock them all down in a single run. It sounds like Hitman more than anything else, but no one is making that comparison. Although they talk the weird design up a lot, it's impossible to show it on the screen, so this ends up looking like nothing more than a piss easy FPS.

I'm very much looking forward to trying this as I'm fascinated by innovations in save mechanics and "fail forward" design. That very niche interest certainly won't sell millions of copies.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Called it. This game is simply not appealing. It’s dishonored with pvp and black people with an slightly retro 70’s representation; it’s not strongly appealing to anyone except…I don’t know, Black Dynamite fans? And it’s 100 percent serious so it has no hokey appeal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    I don't feel -that- strongly about it personally but:

The maps in D1 were far more interesting to explore though and it felt like stealth and engaging with NPC's / Story was more rewarded.
    Dishonored 2 feels very mechanical in it's execution where every map sort of is just a "Scenario" in a vacuum. The game doesn't really build on it's self.

This is all fluffy feels shit though. I enjoyed both.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    D1 had a better story, better atmosphere and better characters.

D2 had slightly better combat and a bit more elaborate level design.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Grind house aesthetic sans the grind house fun…and Idris Elba ripoff to appeal to resetera I guess?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. copebot Learned

copebot
    Actually
    This is hilarious, but an actual game on this theme based on current day Chicago area pissing matches between aspiring rappers using something like the Shadow of War nemesis mechanic would be good, especially if it was made by advanced racists. It would be even better with a realistic (for the setting) cone of fire system in which none of your shots hit accurately and it's not possible to use sights. You point your gun at your nemesis, shoot 72 times, and headshot a baby plus the high school valedictorian (i.e. the only kid who had over 30% attendance). If you get shot yourself, you have a high percentage chance of avoiding death but respawning in a wheelchair because the bullet grazed your spine. This would in fact be an awesome concept for a game.

In this instance, the protagonists are just "black," an aging bourgeois Gen Xer's idea of what a cool refined black guy from a 1970s magazine ad would look like. The dialogue I've heard from clips has just been embarrassing to listen to.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    This was smart.

^ Top  
  20. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    Out of interest has anyone on this thread bought or played the game?

• No No x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Immortal Arcane

Immortal

• Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    The users of this turd have spoken.
    [​IMG]

Goodbye Arkane.

• Fishy x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Deathloop encases fun investigation work and satisfying combat in a unique time loop mechanic to create a tremendously satisfying adventure.

I thoroughly enjoyed consuming this magnificent product and heartily endorse it to all fellow game connoisseurs.

10/10

• Funny x 9
    • honk honk! x 3
    • Fishy x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    Julianna is cute! C U T E!
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • No x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Going by professional reviewers, the game is a must play for any real gamer. If you don't like this game, it's because you are both racist and a fake gamer. Game is 10/10.
    Now I just need to play this game, but that can wait some centuries. The fact that the game is 10/10 doesn't change if I do or not play it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.