Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Danikas

Arcane
Btw. you cant even write nigger on codex anymore it gets autocorrected to African-American...
this is so sad. words have very specific uses and meanings, if i want to use a word i mean to use its specific use and meaning.

New gameplay from Deathloop they really need to buff the damage of melee attacks.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
If you sold Dishonored games as solely chaos run type games I would also consider them to be garbage tier games. Doing chaos runs feels like playing other video games with cheat codes on. It's something you do for a few mindless sessions of venting but you don't buy video games at full price for this sort of retarded experience.

I am more of the opposite opinion

Terenty

Liturgist
If you sold Dishonored games as solely chaos run type games I would also consider them to be garbage tier games. Doing chaos runs feels like playing other video games with cheat codes on. It's something you do for a few mindless sessions of venting but you don't buy video games at full price for this sort of retarded experience.

I am more of the opposite opinion

Fuck that trick with the brick and a mine is absolutely bad ass. Also the level design in Dishonored 2 is hands down the best there is

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't mind black protagonist, but I wish they were TRUE AFRICAN, you know, actually from the continent, not bastardized African Americans. It seems the only Africans ever depicted in western media is African Americans, the entire continent of Africa with all its states do not exist and have no representation in gaming or otherwise.

Israfael

Arcane
For better and worse, it has a lot of Mooncrash DNA in it -to the extent that I would just say straight-up don't buy it if you didn't like Mooncrash.
Judging from the esteemed posters here and the journos they did not manage to convey that at all (or maybe they did it on purpose so that the game will sell better if buyers expected to see something like spy-novel themed Dishonored)

Oh, also performance is very good. Despite the fact that I was running it on my laptop which doesn’t meet the recommendations, I’ve been able to run it on medium settings without dropping below 60FPS. Load times are a little long though. That 12 gigs of RAM is definitely bs.
I haven’t experienced any CTDs or stuttering, although a quick google suggests that the Denuvo stuttering is pretty widespread. Guess I just got lucky.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't mind black protagonist, but I wish they were TRUE AFRICAN, you know, actually from the continent, not bastardized African Americans. It seems the only Africans ever depicted in western media is African Americans, the entire continent of Africa with all its states do not exist and have no representation in gaming or otherwise.

Colt and Julianna are both Kwans. Case closed Sherlock.

Played a bit more.

The four main hubs are pretty small. There’s a good amount of breadth to them depending on what time of day you visit, but they’re still physically pretty small. Definitely Arkane’s weakest level design.

The way information and player knowledge exists primarily to facilitate rogue lite mechanics is great.

God this game is easy. Just a complete and total face-plant of balancing. I don’t know if it was mandated by suits or what, but it’s completely fucking stupid. Significantly easier than any other Arkane title, and it’s not as though their games have ever been noted for difficulty.

That said, moment to moment gameplay is still reasonably fun, provided you enjoy superhero simulators.

Writing and VA remain aggravating. I don’t exactly have the cleanest mouth myself, but the writers here seem to believe that quality of writing = density of the word “fuck”.

Ran into my first bug when a scripted cutscene failed to trigger and I lost all movement control. Annoyingly had to restart mission from the beginning and lost a fair amount of side-progress.

Game takes too long babysitting you, especially considering its difficulty. It’s a full 3 or 4 hours in before it lets you start playing with all the toys and systems, up until that point it is fairly linear.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Played a bit more.

The four main hubs are pretty small. There’s a good amount of breadth to them depending on what time of day you visit, but they’re still physically pretty small. Definitely Arkane’s weakest level design.

The way information and player knowledge exists primarily to facilitate rogue life mechanics is great.

God this game is easy. Just a complete and total face-plant of balancing. I don’t know if it was mandated by suits or what, but it’s completely fucking stupid. Significantly easier than any other Arkane title, and it’s not as though they’re games have ever been noted for difficulty.

That said, moment to moment gameplay is still reasonably fun, provided you enjoy superhero simulators.

Writing and VA remain aggravating. I don’t exactly have the cleanest mouth myself, but the writers here seem to believe that quality of writing = density of the word “fuck”.

Ran into my first bug when a scripted cutscene failed to trigger and I lost all movement control. Annoyingly had to restart mission from the beginning and lost a fair amount of side-progress.

Game takes too long babysitting you, especially considering its difficulty. It’s a full 3 or 4 hours in before it lets you start playing with all the toys and systems, up until that point it is fairly linear.

I would assume you would rank this below Prey / Dishonored 1 & 2 in quality / execution?
This is about what I expected from the trailers though - just sounds by-the-books bland and forgettable - might be worth playing to the end but this thing is gonna collect dust on people's steam library for years to come, whereas Dishonored 1 still gets a playthrough from me every year or so.

I thought the saving grace from a sales / streaming point of view might be the online aspect but it seems to not be clicking with players. (Netcode and Overpowered Machette meta aside)

EDIT:

Concurrent players still hasn't hit Prey levels:
https://steamdb.info/app/1252330/graphs/

Steam score still not great either:

63.47%
↑2,343 ↓1,277

Not the full picture, granted.. but with this being a PS5 exclusive, you'd expect higher steam sales than if it was on Xbox.. I'd assume?

Ehh.. I'm not sure if Arkane is happy right now.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was thinking about the game a lot yesterday so fuck it, I bought it for a few bucks off at GMG. Just 2.2 hours in so far.

Disorganized impressions:

As always, the first thing I did was turn off objective markers. This makes exploring the levels a pleasure as the game does provide enough text to figure out where you're going with your brain, at least in the early game.

Game runs buttery smooth on my 6 year old power rig. I did have a hard graphics engine crash at one point so I may have lost some story progress.

Moment to moment exploration and combat is fun. I didn't say challenging, but fun.

There's a very strong sense of place - it feels less "fakey" than the Dishonoreds.

Music is good and suits the setting beautifully.

The Julianna character's portrayal is immediately annoying - she tries way too hard to be pouty and clever with cutesy dialogue. I get the feeling I will like her more later. I do appreciate her writing on a deeper level - she is reminiscent of GLaDOS, giving blatantly contradictory information to pressure and disorient Colt. Since she is the only person who will actually talk to Colt, he has no choice but to try to decipher her bullshit.

Unlike <3sRichardSimmons, I like Colt's character. He feels natural enough, and a substantial amount of time is given over to him saying, what the fuck is going on, none of this makes any sense. Freaking out when he dies and wakes up again, etc. is given enough breathing room to make him sympathetic, and is a nice framing for easing the player into the "rules" of the loop.

"Combat" is indeed very easy, at least in the earliest part of the game. Do not come to this because you're looking for a tough-as-nails tactical shooter or high stakes elite stealth experience.

Turning off the stealth awareness markers helped make navigation more interesting.

Early guns feel weak, like Fallout 4's guns made of leftover plumbing, but not "floaty". There are a lot of guns lying around to pick up and try that all offer distinct gameplay. I'm looking forward to getting better, punchier guns, and/or some optics. I did find some kind of drum-fed automatic shotgun which I like a lot!

Maneuvering, dodging, mantling, climbing etc. all feel exceptionally smooth.

There are NOT a million diaries and storybooks about what it's like working on whaling boat, or how someone's little sister caught the plague in another city. Thank god, this game has one solid story and sticks to it.

The "rewind" mechanic has some interesting repercussions. I went through a door which locked behind me, died, and "rewound" to before I entered the building. The door was just as I left it, now locked from the other side, so I couldn't get back in. Frustrating in a novel way - I'll have to wait 'til the next loop to get back in there, and be extra careful not to die inside.

The introductions to the eight "Visionaries" are very well done. You find a cork board with some very basic details, group texts that flesh out their personalities, etc. They really made these 8 targets an intriguing group of distinct personalities and I look forward to getting to know them all.

Game feels good, world is attractive and invites exploration, story is interesting, learning the weird systems is fun. Excited to play more.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Blah Blah

> Has half the Forum on Ignore
> Constantly posts shilling reviews for every fucking game he plays
> Then shills his shill reviews with links to them in his signature - begging for upvotes and views

Sorry.. does anyone actually give a fuck what Zombra writes anymore? He's just here to be ridiculed like the late PrimeJunta was, right?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game runs buttery smooth on my 6 year old power rig.
What are your specs?
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Played a bit more.

The way information and player knowledge exists primarily to facilitate rogue life mechanics is great.

God this game is easy. Just a complete and total face-plant of balancing. I don’t know if it was mandated by suits or what, but it’s completely fucking stupid. Significantly easier than any other Arkane title, and it’s not as though they’re games have ever been noted for difficulty.

I would assume you would rank this below Prey / Dishonored 1 & 2 in quality / execution?
This is about what I expected from the trailers though - just sounds by-the-books bland and forgettable - might be worth playing to the end but this thing is gonna collect dust on people's steam library for years to come, whereas Dishonored 1 still gets a playthrough from me every year or so.

I thought the saving grace from a sales / streaming point of view might be the online aspect but it seems to not be clicking with players. (Netcode and Overpowered Machette meta aside)

EDIT:

Concurrent players still hasn't hit Prey levels:
https://steamdb.info/app/1252330/graphs/

Steam score still not great either:

63.47%
↑2,343 ↓1,277

Not the full picture, granted.. but with this being a PS5 exclusive, you'd expect higher steam sales than if it was on Xbox.. I'd assume?

Ehh.. I'm not sure if Arkane is happy right now.

Yeah I would say it’s Arkane’s weakest game since Dark Messiah (which as I mentioned earlier I’m not particularly fond of), at least so far. That said, Dishonored 1’s early game didn’t impress me all that much, so maybe Deathloop will find its footing.

In terms of design I think Arkane’s biggest mistake is the lack of difficulty. This game needed some “the dark souls of…” hype to get buyers motivated.

Oh, and btw to everyone making fun of the game for being woke: This game is not woke. It might actually be the most aggressively non-woke game I’ve played in a while. Yes the main characters are black, but they’re very obviously drawn from blaxploitation films. I’ve seen nothing PC here.

Unfortunately they are still aggressively annoying.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
iuEbmtv.png

Any moment now.
I take issue with "lazy dishonored clone with guns and zero fresh ideas". The time loop mechanic itself where you're constantly discovering new information and leads to use in current and future loops reminds me of a greatly improved variation of nuHitman trilogy's mission stories which rewards multiple playthroughs. I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'd actually like to see IO Interactive take a couple pages from Deathloop and do their own time loop game because multiple playthroughs of the same mission is where those games really shine.

It's not their best game sure but it seems that a lot of people are making perfection the enemy of good because a decent Arkane game is still better than 99% of everything ever released.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh, and btw to everyone making fun of the game for being woke: This game is not woke.

I'm honestly wondering if all the woke whining is just controlled opposition.
"black people bad" lost it's lustre a while ago.

The time loop mechanic itself where you're constantly discovering new information and leads to use in current and future loops reminds me of a greatly improved..

I mean everything I've heard about it is like.. just a shittier implementation of Majora's mask system.
Apparently all the areas are sort of decoupled from each other and Time moves forward only at set intervals?? or something?

That feels a lot less fun / interesting than what I thought it would be - is this an inaccurate description? I've obviously not played it.

Again, from what I've heard, they didn't capitalize on this gimmick nearly enough.

Also let's not suck their dick too hard or pretend that they don't save a ton of asset costs and development time by making the main loop of the game a "you replay this shit over and over".
It's gotta have some really solid adaptive elements between loops to justify that IMO and given the lack of difficulty, I doubt your capitalizing on any of that from a design point of view.

TL;DR - This feature is sounding more and more like a great 'looks good on paper but ultimately it's just a gimmick for run-and-gun shooty shooty'

Last edited:
I mean everything I've heard about it is like.. just a shittier implementation of Majora's mask system.
Apparently all the areas are sort of decoupled from each other and Time moves forward only at set intervals or something? They described it as pretend the entire game takes place in Clocktown itself.

That feels a lot less fun than what I thought it would be - is this an inaccurate description? I've obviously not played it.

Again, from what I've heard, they didn't capitalize on this gimmick nearly enough.

There are four hub areas, and time stands still while exploring a hub. When you transfer from one hub to another hub (or loop back to the same hub) time moves forward. There are four time "slots" (morning, noon, afternoon, and nighttime), so each loop you are allowed to visit all 4 hubs, or 1 hub fourtimes, or 2 hubs twice, etc. It's a pretty simple implementation, but it actually works quite well imo, and is not one of the game's flaws, but rather one of the better parts of the game. Each hub is distinct in each time "slot" with different enemy placement, different levels of access, different loot placement, and different aesthetics as the storm rolls in/night falls.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Apparently all the areas are sort of decoupled from each other and Time moves forward only at set intervals or something? They described it as pretend the entire game takes place in Clocktown itself.

That feels a lot less fun than what I thought it would be - is this an inaccurate description? I've obviously not played it.

There are four hub areas, and time stands still while exploring a hub. When you transfer from one hub to another hub (or loop back to the same hub) time moves forward. There are four time "slots" (morning, noon, afternoon, and nighttime), so each loop you are allowed to visit all 4 hubs, or 1 hub fourtimes, or 2 hubs twice, etc. It's a pretty simple implementation, but it actually works quite well imo, and is not one of the game's flaws, but rather one of the better parts of the game. Each hub is distinct in each time "slot" with different enemy placement, different levels of access, different loot placement, and different aesthetics as the storm rolls in/night falls.

And from an ~*~immersive simulation~*~ point of view.. do things radically change between times of day.
Are there events that happen at X time in the sense that if you do one area later or earlier you "miss your chance" so you need to juggle these things in your approach?

Or?

And from an ~*~immersive simulation~*~ point of view.. do things radically change between times of day.
Are there events that happen at X time in the sense that if you do one area later or earlier you "miss your chance" so you need to juggle these things in your approach?
Yes, but a part of the game is also figuring out the “correct” order so that you can take out all 8 targets in one single loop. I would have preferred the retain Mooncrash’s timer mechanic since it added a sense of urgency (false though it was), but that was clearly never going to happen after a million steamtards cried about it.

Terenty

Liturgist
Do you actually need to figure anything out yourself as a puzzle or is everything really spelled out for you?

I watched a review and he said when you collect enough info to make the final loop, the game basically tells you exactly how to proceed and what to do in which order to kill all 8 visionaries

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom