Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Siel, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    He put me on ignore for not liking episodic content in Hitman IIRC.
    I guess you just have the magic touch.

^ Top  
  2. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Dude I’m pretty sure that’s not why he put you on ignore. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    I dunno man.. That's how I remember it.. You could say it's because of my colourful dialogue.
    But again.. the dude has like half the fucking forum on ignore.

I think he's purposefully riding just below 300 because that's when the Safe Space tag hits. This personally offends me.

^ Top  
  4. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    I'm sure that the dynamic difficulty will do that, and if you really wanted to contextualise it in universe you could say that Julianna is giving everyone pointers, but that's more of a justification than anything that needs to be in the "lore".

The whole setup of what does and doesn't carry between loops is pretty arbitrary anyway and is basically just "whatever the plot and the player needs"

^ Top  
  5. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Hmm, I stand corrected. I heard it mentioned a lot but it always seemed like a sidebar to me - but there it is, one of 4 headlines on the Steam page.

It's a cool idea on paper. In reality, PvP has to be rigorously tested and balanced before public release. Seems like <3sRichardSimmons figured out in 10 minutes that a single overpowered tactic makes it a boring waste of everyone's time.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Well get ready to bust out your "cuck" ratings, because I'm starting to turn around on this game. The gameplay remains basic, the difficulty remains non-existent, and the VA and dialogue remain aggravating, but... I'm now in the midgame and I am consistently having fun. I've started to find some unique weapons that are pretty powerful and fun to use, and the plot is actually going somewhere much more interesting than initially promised. I do think turning off invasions and quest markers is mandatory for enjoyment. I'm highly suspicious that the PvP element was just tacked on in order for the project to get greenlit. It genuinely makes the game less fun to play, and it also just doesn't add anything! As far as I know, the only incentive to play the PvP mode is to unlock new skins for the main character (of an FPS!).

So maybe it's just the scotch (pretty good game to play while enjoying a nice pour -makes the writing and VA much more tolerable), but I'm definitely enjoying the game more as I get further into it. It's a shame that Arkane continues to Arkane and put their worst foot forward, but the mid-game does deliver a noticeably improved experience.

• cuck cuck x 6
    • incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    guess to fix it they're gonna have to put a minimap blip that updates the stealth character's location every 20 seconds or something, or just show the general area he is in.
    That or provide strong incentive to keep the stealth player moving.
    Or box the area in with artificial walls during an invasion so there's only so many corners they can be a pussy in.
    Maybe a subtle audio cue that gets louder when close by would be best. Idk what they have right now though. Surely they have something already in place that aids invaders tracking their mark?

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Also btw Deathloop seems firmly DOA, at least judging from Steam achievements.

The most recent main plot one I got was awarded at 8.5 hours played time (with probably ~2-3 hours of that afk) and I am apparently in the top 10%!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    [​IMG]
    I mean, that achievement is basically "Complete the Tutorial".

[​IMG]
    And this is practically "Start the Tutorial".

So either no-one knows how to walk up a beach, or the supposed mass stuttering that no-one in this thread seems to be able to corroborate is that bad.

-----

I set it to Friends Only, although I'm pretty certain none of my Steam Friends have the game.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Belegarsson Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Patron

Belegarsson
    Had a debate like this last night and I'm not sure if I agree. While it's shitty that some players gonna just sit in a bush for 15 minutes, they are also forced to hack the satellite/beacon thingy to exit the hub, so Julianna can just camp the thing and wait.

I think the problem lies within the incentive for Colt players, kill her and you get a bunch of residuum, a slab, some trinkets, aka everything you get from normal play, nothing very special aside from reprise refill. Losing means you took unnecessary risk which costed the run, while Julianna player loses nothing when they lose, in fact, their Hunter rank still increases and unlock new gears for them.

It would be great if killing Julianna gives you a special temporary buff that lasts until you get back to safehouse, not sure what kind of effect to not make Colt too OP against already easy as piss AI, but surely there gotta be some reasons to fight back.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Ash Arcane

Ash
    What about "silent" invasions? No indication an invasion has happened at all for the stealth player, but they get a one-time alert if Julianna has spotted them or is within 200m whichever comes first (Julianna gets this one too if they didn't spot), after which the real engagement begins.
    ...I should/will stop suggesting anything when I don't know the game's mechanics, or how good Colt is at running away and diversion to regain stealth after being spotted specifically.

^ Top  
  12. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    I haven't seen an invasion yet, but it seems to me that the obvious solution is to nerf the shit out of Julianna. Since Colt has nothing substantial to gain and Julianna has nothing to lose, it's idiotic to make them evenly matched and expect Colt players to willingly participate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    I'm sad to see this, because although I have little interest in this game I do rate Arkane pretty highly. I loved Prey and enjoyed the Dishonoreds/Arx. If they disappear because this game flops there's a big hole in the market for a studio that takes risks in the immersive sim area. Maybe they can all move to WolfEye or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Seems I stayed on a map too long, or maybe triggered an alarm or something without knowing it. When I started backtracking, more enemies had spawned in and they started ambushing me and taking me by surprise. You start to miss those healing potions lying around that are one use per loop. Barely survived and glad to see there is some challenge in the game after all.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    It's Redfall the final nail in the coffin. Open world coop fps with fortnite aesthetics, there's nothing that tries as hard to get mainstream appeal in Arkane's catalogue as this, yet I'm fairly confident that this is going to be yet another flop just like all attempts Zenimax/Bethesda made at pushing the studios they own into diversifying into things they have no idea how to make (Rage 2, Youngblood, 76).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Child of Malkav Arbiter

Child of Malkav
    Apparently yeah. I read that the difficulty increases and the AI becomes better as you kill Visionaries.

^ Top  
  17. ferratilis Savant

ferratilis
    The AI is terrible, according to Mack. Not surprising tbh.

• decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    "It's shit, all the other reviewers are bought off"

"7/10 Thumbs up"

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Math! Math! x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Siel Arcane Patron

Siel
    I confirm this. The AI has a step up each time you kill one.
    Also it's not bad AI as it simulates perfectly crack addicts with no military background who know they will not really die anyway. It's some easy but good AI. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Most likely just doesn't want to deal with the fallout that would come from a lower review score. It's extremely rare to rate anything below a 6 if it's not a broken piece of asset flipping unity shit because it tends to attract the attention of people who aren't among your viewership who post your link to a shill/brigading community who will continually spam your comment section, thumb down etc.

Sometimes you don't even need to give a game a bad score, you just need to say you didn't like it, there was an entire cottage industry of Doom Eternal spammers who had no life and spent their days harassing people who posted negative videos about doom eternal, the youtubers among them also kept making "reaction videos" where they film themselves watching the negative review and insulting the reviewer.

To be the lone 7/10 among a sea of 10/10 is already putting him at risk for that sort of harassment on youtube because there's quite the insane herd mentality whenever it involves gamer weenies feeling validated that their game is seen as 10/10 everywhere and they just can't stand it if you remove even one point out.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. pizza_microwave Learned

pizza_microwave
    How come Kojima could sell Death Stranding with how outlandish the whole game was? Granted its main shtick was that the whole project was weird and obscure.

But the point still stands, with a good marketing team you can sell anything.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Siel Arcane Patron

Siel
    Is this a serious question?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Because Kojima is like a rock star in the video game industry and Arkane isn't.

You can sell toilet paper stamped in your name.. if your name already has value to begin with. Arkane is semi niche. Their best selling game was the first Dishonored. Dishonored 2 sold worse than that, and Prey sold about the same as Dis2 or possibly worse (I don't think we've got sales numbers). Dark Messiah is a cult classic but not a game that did well in its time. Almost nobody even among Arkane fans remember or have played Arx Fatalis.

Meanwhile Kojima is a very well known figure whose last series of games routinely hit the 5+ million games sold. The last MGS sold more than the entirety of Arkane's library combined.

So no matter how unique, strange, dumb or crappy Kojima goes, he has that many millions listening to him, shilling him on social media, web forums etc. He doesn't even have to make an effort to market something. When death stranding was announced, before we had any idea wtf was going on, websites were already filled with people creaming themselves at the thought of playing a game nobody knew anything about.

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. prengle Learned

prengle
    i look forward to seeing midwits try and argue how this and r*dfall are immersive sims

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Seriously, this is true. This isn't supposed to be a bitterly demanding military sim, either in tone or in gameplay. There's an NPC conversation where they are joking around about shooting each other, and then one actually shoots the other like it's nothing, because it is nothing to them. Heavyweight commandos these are not, nor should they be. Not what the game is about, and not why it's fun.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.