Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fun tidbit: there's a guy who plays guitar on a cliff in Karl's Bay, he actually plays progressively better as the day gone by. I never noticed this cuz I always kicked him :D

Child of Malkav

Erudite
as MGSV had that where you can hold down Ctrl to slow walk while standing.
Wasn't that just the equivalent of walking in every other game? Walk not creep? Or it fulfilled both functions, of walking and creeping. Because you only had sprinting, normal running and walking/creeping. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
More multiplayer moments:
  • 1/3 of my games end with the Colt unplugging his ethernet cable after I kill him twice, preventing me from getting the third kill. Or the Colt unplugs his internet pretty much while I'm loading into his game before we've even started playing, kicking me back to the main menu.
  • At least half of the matches are laggy as fuck, you will constantly just warp around and sometimes your Blinks won't register (you will Blink forward and then warp back to where you came from because it didn't register having used it, but it won't refund your mana). No - it's not my internet. I have a good, stable fiber connection with good speeds and ping. Sometimes it's so bad you can pump shitloads of damage into someone and then headshot them, only for it not to register because they shot you first. Laggy hosts have a huge advantage over people with good internet here. I've also had moments where I will use a health consumable in the world and it will disappear and play the heal sound effect but it won't actually give you health due to lag.
  • Some Colts like to equip Aether with the slab upgrade that lets you not drain energy while invisible if you're standing still, and just spend 30 minutes hiding invisible and crawling across the map with basically no counterplay to find them.
  • The most effective Colt I've seen just made a mad dash for the antenna and had the increased hack range + super short hack time trinkets equipped. They hack it, take a death from me and respawn back closer to the exit, then proceed to Blink 3x to the exit door and escape all within like 15 seconds. Didn't even attempt to fight me.
  • Some Colts like to hide in the entrance cave area on Karl's Bay and just sit there with an auto shotgun, forcing you to advance into them (only so much 4 grenades can do there versus 3 lives) if you don't want to have a long drawn out waiting game where the longer you wait the more likely the Colt is to unplug his internet.
  • Every time you invade as Julianna you get heaps of free intel. If there is the Julianna / Colt conversation audio playing you know for a fact he literally just entered the area so he will be close to the entrance and you can push up and get a kill in early, as those lines are only played when you enter the area as Colt. On top of this your npc allies can spot him for you, and you can look at where the npc allies are or aren't to figure out which route a Colt has taken through the map if he isn't right at the start.
  • It's fun for all the wrong reasons. Curbstomping new players and destroying their progress with my gear that far exceeds theirs. The levelling up in multiplayer as Julianna doesn't really have parity with the actual game as Colt, you get spammed with purple weapons and trinkets super early as Julianna but you will be playing a while before you form a complete purple loadout as Colt.
  • Played one where the Colt was hiding in the exit area that he is not supposed to be able to access while Julianna's antenna is up. He just stood in there for like 20 minutes while I looked around the whole map for him, eventually I saw an npc ally spot him and sure enough he was inside of the fucking spawn room and had opened the door. Nice glitch. I killed him and followed him into the spawn room only to die from his 2 other lives, didn't really have much choice of engagement there.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
1/3 of my games end with the Colt unplugging his ethernet cable after I kill him twice, preventing me from getting the third kill. Or the Colt unplugs his internet pretty much while I'm loading into his game before we've even started playing, kicking me back to the main menu.
One of the many wondrous legacies of Dark Souls.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
as MGSV had that where you can hold down Ctrl to slow walk while standing.
Wasn't that just the equivalent of walking in every other game? Walk not creep? Or it fulfilled both functions, of walking and creeping. Because you only had sprinting, normal running and walking/creeping. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
You had laying on a ground and crawling towards the enemy. Or using carboard box mode.

Anything else was, they would eventually see you and shoot you, or use mortar round. And then you'd be crawling to safe place because there would be a lot of bullets around.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
1/3 of my games end with the Colt unplugging his ethernet cable after I kill him twice, preventing me from getting the third kill. Or the Colt unplugs his internet pretty much while I'm loading into his game before we've even started playing, kicking me back to the main menu.
One of the many wondrous legacies of Dark Souls.
If they didn't want to get cancer from the horrible pvp they could just opt out of it in the main menu. It's not like you miss out on things like summoning allies or whatnot like opting out of online in Dark Souls, at least there it makes sense for the pansies to unplug the ethernet cable - because they're playing with online so they can summon people for bosses.

I don't blame people for not wanting to play the pvp in Deathloop, personally I think it's horrible and very Julianna favored (except for when the host is lagging like fuck) and I've got online turned off when I play as Colt, but if you're playing with invasions on you should deal with it when you get dumped on instead of denying me victories.

copebot

Learned
You don't really lose much besides time, especially because there are tons of purple weapon drops that are in static places that can be rushed to grab at any time. The only things you can really 'lose' are purple random drops, but if you know how to spot the sparkly enemies, they're actually infinitely farmable with no risk of invasion. You can just go to a map with no visionary, kill the loot pinata NPCs, disenchant what you don't want, and keep the good items. There are at least a couple loot NPCs per map that go down in one headshot. People are just pussies with the plug pulling. At least you still get points for the kills that you make before they pull the plug.

You can get to the point at which you have multiple sets of all the best items as Colt very quickly; it's just that by design you are mostly only going up against Colts that have only just started the game, don't know the maps, and might be carrying a loadout that's better suited to PvE than PvP.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
At least you still get points for the kills that you make before they pull the plug.
True, but it unfortunately doesn't count towards your total victories & streak. Win streaks are what give the most experience points towards Julianna progression by far. I think I'm hovering around a 1:1 victory/defeat ratio even though it should be more like 1.5:1 if i was given those unplugs as wins. Not to jerk myself off (really, the game is not hard to win as Julianna) but it should also be noted that the vast majority of my defeats are ones where I got 2 out of 3 kills on Colt, even with the laggy hosts and other garbage. Since i'm not a total assburger about the w/l I kinda just consider killing Colt twice (before he has to do an entire level with one life) a win in my book anyway, even if it doesn't reflect it in the stats.

copebot

Learned
At least you still get points for the kills that you make before they pull the plug.
True, but it unfortunately doesn't count towards your total victories & streak. Win streaks are what give the most experience points towards Julianna progression by far. I think I'm hovering around a 1:1 victory/defeat ratio even though it should be more like 1.5:1 if i was given those unplugs as wins. Not to jerk myself off (really, the game is not hard to win as Julianna) but it should also be noted that the vast majority of my defeats are ones where I got 2 out of 3 kills on Colt, even with the laggy hosts and other garbage. Since i'm not a total assburger about the w/l I kinda just consider killing Colt twice (before he has to do an entire level with one life) a win in my book anyway, even if it doesn't reflect it in the stats.

It doesn't take that long to have an overflowing, undeletable inventory of uber gear as Juliana, either. You can tell that they did not think much about 'post-game' because inevitably if you play it past rank 35 or so you will have hundreds of inventory entries with no way of cleaning them up, many of them duplicated. They let you sort things as Colt but not as Julie. You get the feeling that earlier in development, they had the intention of creating hooks for microtransactions and endless grinding. Then, the higher ups at Bethesda realized that money had no meaning for them anymore with the impending acquisition, so they sort of forgot and deemphasized the microtransaction friendly aspect of the design, leaving behind a parody of an item progression system that literally ends right after the tutorial is over.

They should have counted plug pulls as wins, especially because the whole game design centers around griefing people as a Strong, Sassy Mulatta until they despair.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah my Julianna inventory is pozzed full of garbage, grey trinkets and shit I'll never use but can't scrap like as Colt. Also you can't sort weapon trinkets when you have the menu for equipping them to weapons open which is a big lol.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I want to buy a game for the weekend. Is this worth it? Is it worth 60 smackaroons?

I love immersive sims and I know Arkane is good at that. I loved Prey.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're playing with invasions on you should deal with it when you get dumped on instead of denying me victories.
Geez. It was obvious there would be curbstomping griefer Juliannas, but cable-yanking griefer Colts I didn't expect.
Personally I set the online to Friends Only. Most of the stories I've heard about the online indicate a really mean spirited playerbase. Not interested.

copebot

Learned
I want to buy a game for the weekend. Is this worth it? Is it worth 60 smackaroons?

It is only worth $60 if that amount of money is meaningless to you. Otherwise, wait for a sale. There are parts that are interesting, but as a single player experience it certainly falls short of Prey, DotO, and D2. How much it clicks with you is heavily dependent on how much you like the multiplayer.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends on how little your money means to you. I have some $ in the bank so spending $50 on GMG didn't mean much to me and I don't regret the purchase, even without multiplayer. It's a good chewing gum game to have some laughs and shoot doods for a weekend for sure. Normally I would say that $30 or less is the right price. Don't buy straight off Steam unless you want the refund option.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you're playing with invasions on you should deal with it when you get dumped on instead of denying me victories.
Most of the stories I've heard about the online indicate a really mean spirited playerbase. Not interested.
That's pretty much every multiplayer game these days. People sweating their absolute hardest for wins in a niche dead game is nothing new.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Had a rough period at work so I'm itching for a new game but I gotta make it count....If I buy this I probably won't be able to buy another game for a while.

Zombra

Patron
Had a rough period at work so I'm itching for a new game but I gotta make it count....If I buy this I probably won't be able to buy another game for a while.
This is good rock'em sock 'em stress relief imo. Remember to buy it on a discount site like green man gaming to save a few $.

BUT if your budget is limited, you probably don't have a million games in your library. Deathloop really isn't a $50 game. I bet you can find something just as good for $20 from a year or two ago. Hell, buy Zombie Army Trilogy off G2A for $11, it doesn't have the Arkane feel but as a straight up shooter it's a million times better. Also a great weekend destresser game :)

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Nope, you're missing the point. In ALL stealth games crouching = sneaking, even the majority of the old ones, if for nothing else but reducing your collision size. We're discussing which game simplified and/or slowed down stealth gameplay to essentially moving around in crouch all the time, to boiling down stealth movement & basics to crouch mode. This was Deus Ex. Deus Ex was named because it completely silences footsteps. Thief doesn't do that. And lighting in Thief also plays a major role in staying hidden, while in Deus Ex it is there but has less emphasis.
As for other old stealth games, Metal Gear Solid? It has crouching and crawling, also helps with staying hidden, but it is not how the game is played. The majority of the time you're running around, not crouch-walking or crawling. System Shock also, crouch aids with staying hidden as it does in any game, but that's simply not how the game is played. It's a shooter.

What autistic drivel is this?

Do you think the crouch TOGGLE in Thief is just there for shits and giggles? No, it's so you don't to hold down the STEALTH BUTTON.

You absolute retard. The fact that you think you've discovered something, but are utterly wrong is hilarious in and of itself, the doubling down on the retardation is just autism.

Your entire post and your "musings" are nothing but a waste of time. Thanks for nothing, dipshit.

Newfags, newfags never change

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Lmao, I've been playing for a few hours and a solid 90% of the matches I've queued into tonight have ended with Colt unplugging the ethernet cable. It's that bad. Are they doing it to troll Julianna players or do they actually not know you can turn invasions off from the main menu instead of wasting people's time?

Oh, I also finished the game, by the way.
Julianna tries to convince you not to break the loop at the end but she doesn't really give any reason at all or provide any incentive not to. Am I meant to feel bad when I shot her?

EDIT: The max Hunter rank is 50 and I've unlocked all of the outfits.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally had a chance to play a bit more and this is definitely not a 10/10 Masterpiece.

While the "loop" might seem like an interesting gameplay device it's cover for only having to design 4 levels with slightly different window dressing. The story is told in emails, notes and video logs - all techniques that were painfully outdated over a decade ago and there are so many it's unlikely you'll be able to absorb everything anyway. Multiplayer might have a little potential but as Colt I just went single player after a couple of rounds of cat and mouse with Julianna as I'm too time-poor to waste my time on camping/being camped which seems to be the default approach taken most games.

The actual combat and movement mechanics are OK as is the art design but I think the real score is more a 7/10 at the moment.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Geez. It was obvious there would be curbstomping griefer Juliannas, but cable-yanking griefer Colts I didn't expect.
Personally I set the online to Friends Only. Most of the stories I've heard about the online indicate a really mean spirited playerbase. Not interested.

mean spirited playerbase = pvp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom