Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Put an end to eternity with the GOLDENLOOP Update for DEATHLOOP— including a new ability, weapon, upgrades, cross-play matchmaking, and more!
The path to freedom is GOLDEN— Do whatever it takes to break the timeloop.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thanks - I never really looked at steamcharts before - kind of amazing that Fallout: New Vegas has more people playing it now than in September 2012. (but hey, this isn't a NV thread)

It's never too late though..
Personally I'd rather discuss NV than this shit pile of a game. :smug:

(Daily reminder: We gave up Dishonored 3 for Deathflop)

Ivan

Arcane
excited to give this a spin on GP today. will report my findings. expecting a more casual/dumbed down Mooncrash

toughasnails

excited to give this a spin on GP today. will report my findings. expecting a more casual/dumbed down Mooncrash
It's an alright game, I'd say it's a very streamlined Dishonored, with FPS combat and p marginalized stealth, and without usual Arkane replayability. But it's fun, polished, with very pretty environments.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's an alright game, I'd say it's a very streamlined Dishonored, with FPS combat and p marginalized stealth, and without usual Arkane replayability. But it's fun, polished, with very pretty environments.

It's a "Roguelike" more than anything and you won't know that until you get much deeper into it. If you like doing the same thing over & over, and over, and over, and over again, you will love this game. That is exactly what made me stop playing halfway through. It is a lazy AF way to extend playtime in games and sadly has become all too common. But it does have a negro protagonist and antagonist so on that note...

nintendo-switch.gif

Delphik

Tried this game yesterday, I still don't understand how people actually enjoy marvel-style writing, it turned me completely fucking off and I dread launching this game again and hearing another "Witty" remark, after googling the writer turned out he worked on Bioshock: Infinite so no wonder the writing is shit, I can't wait until this trend is dead and we go back to edgy dialogue, at least it had soul.

Ivan

Arcane
first 2 hours impressions:

substandard combat
overpowered stealth is balanced by having enemies deal good amount of damage. grateful for there not being any spongey enemies
level design is open, but I don't like how small the hubs feel
really dumb how the enemies disappear after killing them
itemization is boring and doesn't put enough stress on the player to be careful/creative. it's more of a find your preferred weapon and you'll be fine

so far, easily my least favorite game by Arkane but we'll see if the game starts shining after the "tutorial" (guided/railroady objectives)

first 2 hours impressions:

substandard combat
overpowered stealth is balanced by having enemies deal good amount of damage. grateful for there not being any spongey enemies
level design is open, but I don't like how small the hubs feel
really dumb how the enemies disappear after killing them
itemization is boring and doesn't put enough stress on the player to be careful/creative. it's more of a find your preferred weapon and you'll be fine

so far, easily my least favorite game by Arkane but we'll see if the game starts shining after the "tutorial" (guided/railroady objectives)
Nope. You’ve pretty much nailed it and what you see is what you get.

Couldn't stomach 10 minutes of this turd. Incredibly forced sassy voiceovers, "look at us the designers are so cool" widgets plastered all over the level, etc. Plus, it looks like shit and runs poorly.

RIP Arkane

Ivan

Arcane
Rolled credits (what can I say, I'm stubborn, I finish what I start). This was a big swing and a miss. While I think the general thesis of the game is sound and "cool" it's let down in part by the design and the tech. The game presents this ambitious objective but at each step of the way it feels like it spells out everything for you, often making me feel like I was following a script. Also, that you have to load into each level 4 times per loop kills a lot of the game's momentum and causes the feeling of repetition to set in fast.
+trademark Arkane movement is intact. sliding, running, blinking is fun. levels are open, seldom is there only 1 way in to infiltrate.
-braindead enemies: by and large they don't notice friends killed nearby, they stop following you as soon after breaking line of sight
-itemization is boring, I was shocked that you keep things FOREVER if you spend the game's currency once, I thought they would have needed to be repurchased per reset
-writing/characterization: performances are fine, but the content was awful and felt like it was written for modern teens. Tone aside, none of the characters felt fleshed out to me AND the game is pretty butt ugly, especially compared to previous Arkane titles

TLDR: a swing and a miss. combat is poor, objective chasing gets old fast as you frequently load in and out of levels to attain necessary intel.

best bits: Arkane trademark movement, PvP cat and mouse
worst bits: objective chasing design, shit combat, shallow itemization, training wheels tracking/journal, vapid writing/characterization
:1/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom