Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deathlord Relorded!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did you try E+dir to Enter or S smash door? (Might take damage).
P picklock

and some doors are false doors.

^ to climb out of pits

Cool even on original hardware/game on appleii/c64 allowed you to setup macros. I never owned this but that is pretty cool for 87. I didn't screw with macros until doom and diablo.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I tried Enter yes. Tried Smash one time and took damage (didn't pick the right party member, d'oh). Gotta try Picklock. But these are just everyday doors right? Like in a town or castle. Are closed doors ALWAYS needing to be smashed or picked open? There's no way then to just OPEN a door?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
actually i have octavius ! :) i did it on camera too (releasing on youtube in a few days.) i didn't see any single mention of opening closed doors. maybe i missed it though.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Quick question! How do u open closed doors? (S)mash them? (P)ick Lock? I just want to open doors! :P Any help is appreciated, thanks fellas. <3
As per the docs (you did download the linked pdf in the readme, right? :)), you can either Smash or Pick lock.
You need a lockpick to pick locks (available in general stores), but anyone can smash. Smash is dependent on the SIZE + STR attributes of your character. The bigger the char, the more chance to smash the door open.
Here are the technical details of statistics of door opening:

https://github.com/hasseily/Deathlord-Relorded/wiki/Logic-for-random-checks

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Did you try E+dir to Enter or S smash door? (Might take damage).
P picklock

and some doors are false doors.

^ to climb out of pits

Cool even on original hardware/game on appleii/c64 allowed you to setup macros. I never owned this but that is pretty cool for 87. I didn't screw with macros until doom and diablo.

Relorded definitely keeps the macros, but getting out of pits doesn’t need the ‘^’ any more. Just press a direction key and it will auto-attempt to get out of the pit (which might fail and you “slip” and fall again. Because Deathlord.

Closed doors are always locked.
Be VERY careful of opening closed doors in towns…

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
LOVING this so far, rikkles . Thanks again for your work here, this game is crazy! :) Seems as deep and satisfying as any of the beloved CRPGs from this era and even beyond...

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Few more questions rikkles .

1 - Does DEX govern ranged attacks? How does ranged work if the back row can't actively attack?
2 - Is there *any* way to get the back row to be able to attack besides magic?
3 - Do lockpicks break after 1 use or generally last awhile before breaking?
4 - Are we expected to min/max heavily here to succeed? I'm getting by *by the skin of my teeth* and it's been ruff sledding so far, with very unoptimized stats (that's how i play all RPGs.) I didn't want to abuse autoroll for max stats, but maybe it's *necessary* in this game? Or will it kind of smooth out once I level up a bit, learn more magic and the like?
5 - This game is unreal. Very, very cool RPG!

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
1+2: In DLRL the back row can use ranged weapons!
3: there’s a breaking chance. Haven’t looked at the algo in detail
4. The game is _very_ hard. Put all the chances on your side. You’re going to have to immensely overlevel if your stats suck
5. Dungeon design is sick :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yes, dungeon design is crazy good! :) Thanks for the answers.

Ok, so i guess i need to buy ammunition then for the back row? I have equipped 2 characters with slings but they haven't been able to use them in combat. Can u help me here rikkles ?

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
They’re equipped as in they’re usable. But you have to choose them with ‘w’. Look at the docs. There’s no ammo in the game.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Teleports now are visible once you've gone through them, or if you're an illusionist and you're next to them.
Here you see 2 teleport "out", A and B, and 2 teleport "in", a and b.

unknown.png

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Yes, dungeon design is crazy good! :) Thanks for the answers.

Ok, so i guess i need to buy ammunition then for the back row? I have equipped 2 characters with slings but they haven't been able to use them in combat. Can u help me here rikkles ?

To remove all confusion, I've changed the text on weapons to show "sheathed" instead of "equipped"

unknown.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to become a proper codex member so i can give out gold fists. That's awesome.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
I haven't yet looked at player character Thac0s... But you can see the thac0 modifiers on the items.

I updated the game to 1.0.0.3 with the changes outlined above. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR IMAGES DIRECTORY BEFORE UPDATING!!!!!
Then restore the images directory.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Is there any way to tweak the resolution, or is it out of the question? Us lowly plebs cruising about with 1680x1050 / 16:10 ratios would like to know.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Is there any way to tweak the resolution, or is it out of the question? Us lowly plebs cruising about with 1680x1050 / 16:10 ratios would like to know.
Sorry no. The problem isn’t 16:10 (the game will add black borders), it needs 1920 width for all that it displays. Anything lower would make it unreadable.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Cheers for the speedy reply! I shall endeavor to cope with this... or take this as the final straw and finally upgrade my hardware :D

rogueknight333

Arbiter

IIRC that was not the case in the original, so this is actually a very major change. Not just because it makes the combat itself easier, but because of the secondary effects it could have on things like ideal party composition and how quickly characters level up. Possibly this feature should be more prominently advertised or made optional?

Ladonna

Arcane

IIRC that was not the case in the original, so this is actually a very major change. Not just because it makes the combat itself easier, but because of the secondary effects it could have on things like ideal party composition and how quickly characters level up. Possibly this feature should be more prominently advertised or made optional?

No, back line characters could only use spells in the original, which I found retarded. So if backliners can now use ranged weapons, that is an improvement. I remember having level 8 guys at the front, and low level ninnies at the back for a long time because of this, constant casting shit spells just to try and gain some XP.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It seems to me, and i'm just kind of educated guessing here, that perhaps the (F)lee and (R)etreat combat actions in the original were meant to get your backline guys some time in the front. In other words, your front line characters might take some damage, u might have one move to the backline and then a backline character could use their melee or ranged weapon in the frontline and hope to score a kill or something like that. So even backline characters should have been battle ready with armor and weapons, imo. Does any of this make sense or am I just a senile ol' RPG gamer. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom