Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deathlord Relorded!

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Definitely unarmed only, as having multiple chances of inflicting critical hits would be… bad :)

For the katana, you’re right. I did not enable it for the ninja, I thought I had. It’s an easy change, set the cell for katana/ninja to 1 in the InventoryList.csv file.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey rikkles ! Loving the game, but i got myself into a bit of a mess. :P I broke down the door to the Emperor's Treasury, and the guards were just standing there and i could talk to them. cool! I quicksave there and later die and it reloads me right in front of the guards i once talked to. ok, cool, but now they are hostile!! Ok, i savescum a bunch until i can escape them, but down the other end of the hall the freaking EMPEROR IS AFTER ME!! lol! So finally i figured out how to use the hack "resurrect all" and kept doing that and casting Moya with my Shizen to escape. I eventually get out of town but, is everyone going to be hostile to me there forever now? And when I escaped with Moya the guards disappeared, and so did the Emperor. o_o Will that resolve itself over time and he will return to his throne and i'll be welcomed back into the castle?

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Hey rikkles ! Loving the game, but i got myself into a bit of a mess. :P I broke down the door to the Emperor's Treasury, and the guards were just standing there and i could talk to them. cool! I quicksave there and later die and it reloads me right in front of the guards i once talked to. ok, cool, but now they are hostile!! Ok, i savescum a bunch until i can escape them, but down the other end of the hall the freaking EMPEROR IS AFTER ME!! lol! So finally i figured out how to use the hack "resurrect all" and kept doing that and casting Moya with my Shizen to escape. I eventually get out of town but, is everyone going to be hostile to me there forever now? And when I escaped with Moya the guards disappeared, and so did the Emperor. o_o Will that resolve itself over time and he will return to his throne and i'll be welcomed back into the castle?
Ok you’ve experienced one of the many “features” of Deathlord that makes it such a hard game. It remembers town state. If you ever attack anyone in town (you’re allowed to be attacked though), the town will be against you for all time.

There’s a trick players used to reset a town, and hence find how to farm for gold or XP:

exit the town, then before re-entering swap the disks with pristine disks (or previous backups). When you’re then inside the town, swap back.

let me know if you need more details.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey yeah, I could definitely use a "how-to" to do that, heh. Can't have the Emperor trying to kill me! :D

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Hey yeah, I could definitely use a "how-to" to do that, heh. Can't have the Emperor trying to kill me! :D

Exit town, then in the menu choose Emulator > Insert Disk into Drive 1, and choose either an old backup of Scenario Disk A or the clean image of A from the Images directory. Do the same thing for Drive 2 and Disk B. Then enter the town. Once you're in it, revert both drives to the current disks.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
What do u mean by "revert both drives to the current disks"? How do i do that? rikkles
Select for both drives the scenarios (A and B) located in your C:\Users\[yourname]\Saved Games\Deathlord Relorded\
This is where the current game disks live (since v1.0.1)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey again rikkles ! question, or rather, statement. My stash items have disappeared! It took me until now to notice that my lockpicks, holy symbols, a katana and possibly something else (i forget) have all disappeared from the Stash. Is this a bug or is the Stash only supposed to be temporary or something? Any idea on this? Thanks! :)

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
It’s not a bug. The stash is temporary and empties across sessions. Its purpose is to allow testing and swapping of items when you get new ones.
The reason behind it being temporary is not to change the balance of the game too much. I’m sorry if it wasn’t clear, I might need to call it “temporary stash”.

KCN2

Barely Literate
But don't think too much about this either... if no one else has reported problems, the problem is probably on my side.

We are talking about computers, you know, surely I have something installed (or incorrectly installed) or I have something activated (or deactivated) in the OS that is causing the issue.

:despair:
Unfortunately I have same issue. At least Deathlord Companions works fine.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
For those of you (Sotomonte) with the Radeon 570/580 black box problem, try to change your monitor resolution to 1920x1080, and if that doesn't work, press "ALT-ENTER" to switch to windowed mode. Maybe that'll help.
I'd be interested to know if anything changes.

Breshard

Novice
I always have 1920x1080 resolution and windowed mode is still messed up. I have just been disabling display adapter in device manager when i want to play and then reenabling it after. Has worked fine so far that way other than I had an issue with lagging/freezing up once when drinking a pool that made my whole party ill.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
When the leader is poisoned or ill, I use a GPU pixel shader on the map to apply an effect. It’s green-tinted on poison, and blurry on ill. Looks like your onboard graphics processor doesn’t like that. Sorry to hear that.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Breshard, and others with the Radeon problem, please try the following exe:

https://github.com/hasseily/Deathlord-Relorded/releases/tag/DLRL-test-noeffects-v1.0.3

How to run:
Download and extract the exe in your Deathlord Relorded game folder.
Run it once, then quit it immediately (for it to update the config file below).
Open your personal Saved Games directory, and go to the Deathlord Relorded subfolder. There should be a file "DeathlordRelorded.conf". Open it in Notepad and modify the entry "noEffects: false" to "noEffects: true".
Run the exe again.

Please let me know if it fixes the ILL crash on your internal graphics card, and if the Radeon card black boxes are fixed. Thanks!

Breshard

Novice
Woo nice!
No black box, no freeze up/lagging when drinking from pool that made me ill. Didn't need to disable my card either.

Liking this a lot so far from what i've played. I never played deathlord back in day but have played all the ultimas, magic candles, ssi games,etc. Seemed like it had the worst interface/ui which is why i never gave it a serious try but all the qol improvements you played are nice and make game easily playable. Only other thing i could think of offhand that would be nice is maybe a popup for commands like alt-s for spells.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'd really love to see Thac0 numbers somewhere. That would be *awesome* since we don't really know how effective each weapon is truly being for each fighter. I mean yes we can see +1 +2 etc. but I love seeing the actual Thac0 fluctuate like in the Baldur's Gate type games. :)

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Breshard very cool! Glad I could find a way around the problem. I think with the Radeon you can set noEffects to false and get the illness postprocess effect. Try it and let me know, because I think I've identified where the Radeon pukes and I've done it a different way.

Fluent I'll have to disassemble some more to determine actual player Thac0. It has to be a combo of level and equipment (and maybe class), so it's not that easy. But I guess I have to do this for completion, and then will try to display it either in the inventory screen or the main screen.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
I'd really love to see Thac0 numbers somewhere. That would be *awesome* since we don't really know how effective each weapon is truly being for each fighter. I mean yes we can see +1 +2 etc. but I love seeing the actual Thac0 fluctuate like in the Baldur's Gate type games. :)

Okay here's how the game calculates to-hit ratios:

It first takes the final THAC0, as calculated from the sum of all THAC0 modifiers of worn equipment. Some weapons add/remove to THAC0, and some equipment as well (big shields for example, reduce THAC0). It's all listed in the inventory screen so you can do the calculation yourself, but I haven't shown it directly in the main interface.
Once it has the final THAC0, it adds it to the level of the player -1, and substracts from it the enemy AC. Looks to be pretty standard stuff. So effectively right now you can calculate your THAC0 by just adding up the equipment modifiers.

Sotomonte

Learned
Breshard, and others with the Radeon problem, please try the following exe:

https://github.com/hasseily/Deathlord-Relorded/releases/tag/DLRL-test-noeffects-v1.0.3

How to run:
Download and extract the exe in your Deathlord Relorded game folder.
Run it once, then quit it immediately (for it to update the config file below).
Open your personal Saved Games directory, and go to the Deathlord Relorded subfolder. There should be a file "DeathlordRelorded.conf". Open it in Notepad and modify the entry "noEffects: false" to "noEffects: true".
Run the exe again.

Please let me know if it fixes the ILL crash on your internal graphics card, and if the Radeon card black boxes are fixed. Thanks!

As Breshard has said, now the game works perfectly: no more black artifacts.

Thank you very much for the effort.

:greatjob:

Breshard

Novice
Breshard very cool! Glad I could find a way around the problem. I think with the Radeon you can set noEffects to false and get the illness postprocess effect. Try it and let me know, because I think I've identified where the Radeon pukes and I've done it a different way.

WHen i set noeffects to false and drank from illness pool the blinking black box returned around my party and on top of that 75% of my screen turned black.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Okay then I’m going to have to make a custom blur shader just like I did the other fix. Good to know and thanks for your testing time.
Those Radeons sure are finicky.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Okay here's how the game calculates to-hit ratios:

It first takes the final THAC0, as calculated from the sum of all THAC0 modifiers of worn equipment. Some weapons add/remove to THAC0, and some equipment as well (big shields for example, reduce THAC0). It's all listed in the inventory screen so you can do the calculation yourself, but I haven't shown it directly in the main interface.
Once it has the final THAC0, it adds it to the level of the player -1, and substracts from it the enemy AC. Looks to be pretty standard stuff. So effectively right now you can calculate your THAC0 by just adding up the equipment modifiers.

Thanks! That's cool, still would be cooler to see it displayed in the HUD with the AC. I dunno, I just like seeing that number slowly go down like in BG/IWD :D . Hope you implement that but either way, awesome work! <3

Breshard

Novice
Is the falcon helm bugged? It shows as -4 ac but wasn't giving my guy any armor. Also ninja seems to not get helped on ac by small shield and gold jingasa, not sure if ninja is only supposed to get armor from specific items or what, toshi cloak and gloves lowers the ac.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Is the falcon helm bugged? It shows as -4 ac but wasn't giving my guy any armor. Also ninja seems to not get helped on ac by small shield and gold jingasa, not sure if ninja is only supposed to get armor from specific items or what, toshi cloak and gloves lowers the ac.

There is a thing with Deathlord where it doesn’t recalculate AC unless you check someone’s info or start a battle. I try to trigger the recalc upon swapping equipment but it doesn’t always work. So make sure you just go through one person’s status windows (all the way to the AC screen) to verify all characters’ AC. You only need to do this for one person, it recalcs for everyone.

That said, Deathlord does play weird with AC and indeed some class/race/level combos simply don’t register the AC for some equipment. It could be a bug or a feature, I have no idea and I didn’t disassemble that part of the code.

Try the falcon helm on someone else and you’ll see it may work. I think Ninjas for example get some equipment AC but moat of it won’t work at high levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom