Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent games you gave up on due to particular aspect.

Plisken

Learned
Underrail - I'm sure its every bit as good as people say it is, but the introduction is dreadfully boring and not at all engaging. It doesn't help that you move like a geriatric in a game that involves a LOT of walking. Ive had it on steam for years now and Ive got a grand total of 2 hours, 1 of which was probably me leaving it open while doing something else once.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Underrail - I'm sure its every bit as good as people say it is, but the introduction is dreadfully boring and not at all engaging. It doesn't help that you move like a geriatric in a game that involves a LOT of walking. Ive had it on steam for years now and Ive got a grand total of 2 hours, 1 of which was probably me leaving it open while doing something else once.

:timetoburn:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Underrail also here, unfortunately.

It really was one of my favorite RPG experiences of the last years and i had a blast playing through the game, until i went into the deep caverns...

FUCK that place. I gave up due to neverending respawns and me not having skilled stealth and very cryptic guidance that made you run around cluelessly, burning through your ammo/durability way too fast as smg character.

Now i start it from time to time with the plan to stomach through the caverns, because the game deserves to let me see the ending credits, but i am now even more clueless than before.

HansDampf

Arcane
Arx Fatalis
On paper it sounds like a game I should fall in love with. Very deusexy, some cool magic system, inventory chess, atmospheric setting... And yet it bored me to death so much that I quit 3 hours in. I can't even point to any issue in particular. The PC's voice actor also sounded like he was falling asleep. Strangely enough I enjoyed the game the most when I was just marching through empty caves.

Ash

Arcane
Arx Fatalis
On paper it sounds like a game I should fall in love with. Very deusexy, some cool magic system, inventory chess, atmospheric setting... And yet it bored me to death so much that I quit 3 hours in. I can't even point to any issue in particular. The PC's voice actor also sounded like he was falling asleep. Strangely enough I enjoyed the game the most when I was just marching through empty caves.

Blasphemer! Heretic! Heathen!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Baldur's Gate - Tried several times. I cannot stand RTWP. Once I was playing in parallel with one friend and after I killed my first dragon I was excited and told him how hard it was for me. Well, he told me that he beat the dragon first try by kitting him with only one character (rogue) while the rest of the party was standing behind some pillars. I did not believe him, went home, tried his strategy, got furious and deleted the game.

Evil Islands - Simply could not progress any further with my stupid mage. This is one hard game. Melee characters were overpowered.

Neverwinter Nights - My melee character was a disaster and I could not take it anymore while watching a friend summoning 99 skeletons.

Kotor 2 - Good game but I did not stand the RTWP combat at that time and I gave up when I realized that "planets" were actually one or 2 zones. I should have endure it for the story but it's not too late.

Temple of Elemental Evil - I was so happy to be able to play it until I reached the Moathouse under-leveled and I got rekt. I cannot say I knew the combat mechanics too well.

Arx Fatalis - Towards the end of the game I needed something like lvl 80 for a specific magic spell. I did no have that level and I could not backtrace to acquire it therefore I gave up in frustration.

VTMB - I think there is a fight towards the end game ... some mansion with a bridge where something flies through the window. My character was a mess (some melee build) and I could not take it anymore.

Krondor - I tried several times to finish it. Once I think I've made it to chapter VII but then I was really pissed off that the game forced me to switch parties and I gave up.

Anachronox - Burnout after the Prison break level. The game is an absolute blast but some sections were filled with grind. So much grind.

Thief II - I did no find the fountain with holy water needed to kill the skeletons. Wasted my arrows. Gave up. There was no internet back then.

Pillars of Eternity - Caed Nua and useless lore burnout. When I reached Defiance Bay I was already sick of the game. Pity, I think the game had potential.

AoD - Uninstalled as soon as I realized that teleportation was for real and skills specialization is a must.

Fallout 3 - Reached Megaton, saw stupidity, rage quit and uninstalled.

Broken Age - I will never install that shit on my PC.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Keira's boobies made Witcher 3 more bearable.

The writing? That's the point of playing it, not something that make it bearable.

Silent Hill 2 ... I ... I can't walk in that game ... fuck tank controls.

You can disable tank controls in Silent Hill 2. It's the 2D/3D controls option.

Witcher 3: it's too goddamned long. i wouldn't even mind the boring combat if it didn't drag for soooooooooo daaaaaaamn loooooooooong

It's not really that it's long, it's that it's boring & shit & so it seems like it's long

Bullshit. It doesn't seem like it's long, it is long. Main quest alone takes longer than it takes to do a lot of RPGs with all side content.

For me it's RTwP RPGs like BG and Planetscape Tournament. I start a playthrough with best of intentions and give up not far into the game. Still gonna finish PT at least, one of these days.

Also, some people here seem to have missed the first word in thread title.

Last edited:

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I gave up on Baldur's Gate and every other RTwP IE game (except PS:T) many years ago after trying a few times to get into them.

I am, currently, playing BG:EE and I'm absolutely loving it. I can't say for sure that the EE part is what is doing it for me, but widescreen support is definitely a bonus...as is zoomable-ness.

I don't know....maybe those 2 QOL features are what put me over. I compared screenshots between the two and I see practically no difference besides UI color...seriously....who gives a shit about UI color?

All I know is I'm now loving BG, and, before, I used to not like it all.

Whatever....I got my Larry, Darryl, and Darryl autograph.....(I'm an '80s baby, and that was so funny to me....and unexpected).

Beastro

Arcane
Tried Dragon Age 2, but quit after the introduction cut scene after seeing the art style, especially what they'd done to the Darkspawn.

Looking back it sounds like a pretty frivolous reason to quit a game, but given what else I later found out would have driven me away, I'm thankful that did the job.

Kainan

Learned
Mafia 1. I dont like driving and even though it was good in this game i dont understand why there was so much of it as i expected to do more mafia-like things.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Desperados 3 - because it's worse than Commandos 2 in every way imaginable.

Bioshock - because it's worse than SS2 in every way imaginable.

Dragon Age: Origins - because it's worse than BG2 in every way imaginable.

POE1 - same as above.

Xenonauts - because it's worse than XCOM: UFO Defense in every way imaginable.

deuxhero

Arcane
MS Saga - The finite number of energy cells (which is just one more than the number you need to build every suit you're not given for free) is just a massive "Fuck You" to the player with all the ways to waste them by accident: Even if you know exactly how finite they are, it's really easy to build a suit you later get for free. Without knowing there's a tempting option to sell suits you can never get back for early cash, build redundent suits to loot their limbs for customization. Even without going for 100% suit obtained, it's a bad choice because it kills the game's otherwise rich customization.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Crusader Kings 2

because moleman could not read tiny text.

upload_2020-8-6_20-13-37.jpeg

wahrk

Learned
I’ve tried twice to get into Pathfinder: Kingmaker but I always end up losing interest a few hours in. It’s just boring, at least the beginning. I also can’t stand the cutesy style, like the annoying halfling bard companion.

Also, Dishonored. Seems like a perfectly fine game but again I can never get more than a few hours in. The gameplay isn’t that interesting, plus it bugs me that the game seems to encourage you to play a certain way rather than letting you go wild.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom