Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 10: New Blood for the Feast

Which era should we play in?

• Early Age

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
txgruoddjp.jpg

Deep within the city there is a street with no name, hiding a house with no entrance. The Spy Master's house.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Spy Master Garcia. I was hoping to find you here.

During his career, Garcia has mastered two talents: assassinations and obtaining information.

bqowziweml.jpg

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
I knew you'd come eventually, Inquisitor Mendoza. It would be rude of me to avoid this conversation.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
I'm afraid, I've fallen into disfavor of the Inquisition. I no longer possess the knowledge of what's going on.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Yes, it was bound to happen eventually. You are too, how to say it? Non-radical, if you will. De Prado doesn't like compromises. Anyway, I will shed some light on the latest events in exchange for a favor.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
What kind of favor?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Oh, it's nothing you can't handle, trust me. Besides, it's not like you have a choice. Now, ask away - my time is limited.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Hmf. Very well. Where is the Adrian, and what is the current state of Arcoscephale?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Arcoscephale was reduced to a worthless handful of land, let me remember, over two months ago? The Adrian's crew assaulted the coasts, killing everybody who tried to defend those lands. Arcoscephale united all military power they could, gathering forces in the capital city. Several war elephants were noticed there as well.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
That was two months ago.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Nothing changed since then. After plundering the coasts and setting Marignon's banner over two provinces, Cervantes simply left. Arcoscephale didn't try to reclaim lost coasts, because it's obviously dangerous. The Adrian might return any day, and then the actual army of Arcoscephale will be lost in battle.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
But where is Cervantes now?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Last I heard, the crew united with the Inquisition's elite band of witch hunters.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
You don't mean...

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Tomaso del Monferrada and his Hands of Justice.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
I thought he was retired. Then all those ships in the marine..?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
They will be finished soon, in order to bring the armies of Marignon to the frontlines faster. The Adrian is currently the greatest ship serving Marignon, but soon the others will set sail, and captain Cervantes will not be as irreplacable as before.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Marignon plans to send all forces to the wage war against Arcoscephale?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Unlikely. The Kingdom's borders are very tense right now. To the north we have Mictlan - a nation of savages who covet both Marignon's and Arcoscephale's lands. They used to be a part of the alliance against our nation, but right now there is a possibility that they might invade weakened Arcoscephale instead. I'm not a mind reader, but I'm pretty sure de Prado won't fight both Arcoscephale and Mictlan for this worthless spot of land.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Hmm, maybe we can achieve some agreements. Resolve it without pointless bloodshed.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Don't count on it. Despite its hopeless situation, Arcoscephale didn't attempt to contact Cervantes or Marignon. They made no offers of tribute, just like de Prado expected. Some leaders don't value what they own - they would rather see it all burn than start any sort of negotiations. As for Mictlan, de Prado will never trust them. Or any other conspirator, for that matter.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
We cannot survive without allies.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Well, we have Bogarus - the "lesser evil", as de Prado puts it. Strangely enough, our nations have a lot in common.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
The blood magic.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
How blunt, Inquisitor. I would call it "The neccessity of using radical methods in order to overcome the ultimate evil". If we don't use blood magic, the world as we know it will die. Marignon is the only hope to preserve it.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
I follow the old ways, Garcia. The Inquisition is wrong about this matter.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
As you say. Back to our discussion, Marignon does have an ally. Our messenger has returned from Bogarus a few days ago with great news. They wisely accepted the defensive pact.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Glad to hear it, although it's very limited.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Yes, it only concerns Atlantis. These creatures expand their borders aggressively, not to mention that they were participating in the conspiracy too. Both de Prado and the rulers of Bogarus are discontent.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
So we should expect a war with Atlantis?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
If the creatures make one wrong step, then yes. But there is a certain something in this world that de Prado hates even more than conspiracies and aggressors.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
The undead.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Yes. And anybody opposing the undead automatically becomes Marignon's ally. I won't lie to you, Mendoza - I don't know what to expect in the future. Marignon has one enemy, two untrustworthy neighbours, one fragile alliance, and a lot of border tension. It might go anywhere from this point. But thankfully, our military might remains unsurpassed so far.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
I need to contact captain Cervantes somehow. It's the matter of dire urgency.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
*Sigh*. Some of his officers are always in the city, recruiting reinforcements. Every month they sail towards the Adrian on smaller vessels, so that Cervantes would never be low on cannon fodder.

licvwdzpwc.jpg
How do I find those officers?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Go the harbor and ask around for Gorgeous Harvey Bones, or Fashionably Late Vinny. Tell them that Garcia wishes fair winds. Then say the word "Morstrom".

licvwdzpwc.jpg
Thank you, Spy Master. I think that's all I wanted to know.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Always glad to be of service. Now, let me explain that favor I mentioned earlier...

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
The garden surrounding Lord Austein's manor are groomed and well-kept, replete with topiary depicting great fantastic beasts and animals of the known world. Pegasi and dragons share space with elephants and mermaids, sculpted from the blooming bushes. Cobbled roads snake between fake antique-looking columns and lead to a tile-roofed gazebo, shimmering with blue under the cold winter sun. There's a certain stillness in the air, broken only by a little girl's laughter.

fbhyqs.jpg
Hee hee! I found the pearl again, Lyuba! That's three whole cakes you owe me now.

1zv8r4z.jpg
*feigning irritation* Confound this clever little girl!

2rctqj4.jpg
*mockingly* You-can't-beat-me!

2nau3k8.jpg
It seems that way, yes. But I'll have my revenge soon!

2rctqj4.jpg
How come you're not allowed into the house, Lyuba? I want to show you my room.

2nau3k8.jpg
That's pretty sweet of you, Matilda. But I'm more comfortable out here, with the trees and the little birds… Your uncle said it's alright for me to stay here. And speaking of that, you should drink your tea! It'll get cold.

2rctqj4.jpg
Alright. *sips pensively for a moment* Say, Lyuba… when will my mom and dad be back? They've been gone a long time…

2nau3k8.jpg
Hm? Oh, soon, little one. Pretty soon.

2rctqj4.jpg
*obstinately* How soon?

2nau3k8.jpg
*laughing* PRETTY soon. In the meantime, did I tell you about the letter from your daddy we received?

2rctqj4.jpg
Letter from my dad? No, you didn't! Tell me!

2nau3k8.jpg
Your uncle received it by courier last night. Your dad is travelling really far, beyond the old borders of Ulm. He's found a nation of lizard-people!

2rctqj4.jpg
Lizard people? You mean lizards with clothes and houses and things?

2nau3k8.jpg
Yes. Amazing, isn't it? They're called the C'tissians. Many thought they were just old stories and myth.

2rctqj4.jpg
Are they friendly or are they mean?

2nau3k8.jpg
We don't know yet. I sure hope they're friendly!

2rctqj4.jpg
Mmm. I don't want the lizards doing anything bad to my dad.

2nau3k8.jpg
Both your parents are great fighters. Your dad doesn't have anything to fear from some old lizards. *changing her tone, she speaks deliberately slow, staring right into the girl's eyes* Say, didn't you tell me you were tired of being cooped up in here all day?

2rctqj4.jpg
Um… yes. But uncle says that… the streets are dangerous.

2nau3k8.jpg
What does he know? He never gets out. How about we go for a stroll over at the park?

2rctqj4.jpg
The park…? I go there with my mom. Sometimes. When she's not… busy.

2nau3k8.jpg
Well, until your mom comes back, you can go there with me. I have some friends for you to meet.

2rctqj4.jpg
Friends…?

2nau3k8.jpg
Yes, friends. There's this funny man called Gascoigne… well, we all call him Papa G.

2rctqj4.jpg
*smiling weakly, her eyes unfocused* That's a funny name.

2nau3k8.jpg
It really is. *standing up* Come, child. Your destiny awaits.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
The Towers of Chelms...
eotxkadrkz.jpg
Three Magisters Arcane meet to discuss events and plans. Aethelred and Cederic are joined in Cederic's study by Robert the One-Armed, an old and respected man of the Towers.

Apparently he's had a rough life.

hefowohuod.png

btuetztfnl.jpg
Robert the One-Armed has made his greetings and joined his brothers in a padded chair near the fire. He takes a drink from his spiced wine before continuing. "Ah, very nice." He holds the cup before him admiringly for a moment before setting it on the nearby side table.

oqleicubwa.jpg
*Cederic nods and holds up his own cup in acknowledgement.*

btuetztfnl.jpg
"So, I have heard that our Prophet has yet another victory to his name."

xjqhomdqks.jpg
Magister Aethelred speaks up, as the one who deals most with keeping an eye on the military side of things. "Indeed. Apparently Lord Morgan and the mercenaries are doing well also."

btuetztfnl.jpg
"Excellent. How go our, ah, other plans?"

xjqhomdqks.jpg
"We await the latest news from Edward, but his last message indicated that things are proceeding well."

btuetztfnl.jpg
"Good, good. Do keep us informed."

xjqhomdqks.jpg
"Of course, brother. I will bring word as soon as I have it myself."

oqleicubwa.jpg
"We have no doubt. Speaking of news, have you heard the latest rumors from the city?"

btuetztfnl.jpg
"You mean this 'Rhianne' the peasants have been clamoring about? I've heard some, but little more than that she's petitioned the Military Council to give her an army."

oqleicubwa.jpg
"Apparently she's made quite an impression. I believe we may need to look into this, perhaps one of us should even go and have a talk with this girl."

xjqhomdqks.jpg
"Agreed." Aethelred sighs. "I need to go and talk to the Council anyway, I'll see to it."

btuetztfnl.jpg
"Thank you, brother. I suppose we all have matters to attend to, we'll see each other back at the library I imagine?"

The Magisters finish their drinks and make their goodbyes for the time being.

sqeecoo

Arcane
A letter arrives for Inquisitor Mendoza, interrupting morning prayers:

Your Holiness,

I write to you with great consternation, bringing news of the peoples our explorers have come to call the "Aztecs". As your Holiness is surely aware, the priest that had taken the name of Corto was sent nearly a year ago with an entourage to carry the Light of Our Faith to these savages. Early missives spoke of astonishing success, the natives being familiar with the concept of God shedding His own Holy Blood for the expiation of our sins, and awed by the splendor of our weapons and ships.
This early hopefulness was followed by ominous silence from our missionary, however, and dark rumors reached the ears of our more daring scouts of a White man participating in abominable rituals with the natives and being worshiped as a god. For certain we gave no credence to these blasphemous ramblings, but yesterday we were reached by the report of a trustworthy goleta captain sailing the seas near native-held coasts.
After appropriate professions of respect and faith, the captain writes that not two days ago a mastman spotted a White man in the sea, nearly drowned but not calling for help. The man was brought out to deck, whereupon he only said "I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing", before promptly expiring, according to the captain.
Various personal items on his body revealed him to be a member of Corto's entourage, though what became of the others is not known. In his possession was also a manuscript in Corto's unmistakable angular script, containing a peroration on using the awe we inspire in these natives to bring them into the fold of civilization. Most of it was damaged in the water, but what could yet be read the captain called a "moving appeal to every altruistic sentiment" "yet containing little practical advice, except perhaps for a simple instruction on the one page untouched by the water".
Enclosed in this letter is that sole undamaged page that caused such fear and fervor among the flagellants when we received it yesterday.

Your Holiness' most obedient and humble servant,
Bernardino de Sahagún

pic10.gif

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
It's all completely stolen from Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer :P

And the actual Bernardino de Sahagún, a Franciscan monk who apparently held a debate with Aztec priests and was a pretty cool guy overall.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Hey, can I get like an 8 or so hour extension guys? I've been swamped with stuff the last couple of days and would like to do the turn carefully tonight, reply to messages etc. I hope you don't mind.

Yeah, Heart of Darkness is an amazing book :)

Lizzurd

Cipher
Granted!

I heard that in LotR the travel by river Anduin was heavily influenced by this book.

Dayyālu

Arcane
It's all completely stolen from Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness

Freakin' Belgians :argh:

We need to publicize more the decent people we sent south.

Pierre_Savorgnan_de_Brazza_by_Paul_Nadar.jpg

(Brazza was a pretty cool guy, and an interesting example of a different narrative on the subject)

I mean, if I can live with Bogarus planning all the time to backstab me at the first chance, you can survive with the not!Aztecs sacrificing people all day long.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hey now, Bogarus is simply planning to not get wiped out as the weakest (early) LA faction in this game, by far. :smug:

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
No judgement here, but I'm beginning to think I may smell a grudge. Before things escalate, I'm going to refer to the rules:

- I'm pretty sure I don't have to say this here, but I will anyway: it's just a game, have fun...

End part removed because I don't think it applies here. I'm not saying anyone has crossed the line yet, I just don't wanna see it get personal. We're all here to kill each other, let's have fun with it!

I hope you don't mind.

No problem, and thanks for catching that Lizzurd .

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
No judgement here, but I'm beginning to think I may smell a grudge. Before things escalate, I'm going to refer to the rules:

End part removed because I don't think it applies here. I'm not saying anyone has crossed the line yet, I just don't wanna see it get personal. We're all here to kill each other, let's have fun with it!

This.

Old grudges should be left in old games. When you try to settle some old scores in entirely new game, Dominions simply loses its charm. New game = fresh start.

For example, Noodles sorta stabbed me in our last match, and I'm not gonna forgive him there, doing everything I can to pwn him there. But that conflict (which is also pure rp, and nothing personal) won't affect our relations in Decline 10. We can be best friends here, and sworn enemies there. It's the only healthy way to play this game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
rnmwroeedm.jpg

bjrzttpkie.jpg
A TOAST, YE SCURVY DOGS! TO CAPTAIN CERVANTES DE LEON!

yfpqnlukps.jpg
MAY THE WINDS BE ALWAYS FAIR TO OUR GREAT CAP'N!

The pirates were laughing and roaring. Most of them were drunk already, and still covered in blood of fallen enemies.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Let's give some credit to another man, me hearties. If not for him, some of you scum would be long dead by now.

Now the pirates suddenly became silent, but the soldiers from Marignon raised their mugs. "TOMASO DEL MONFERRADA", - they cried out. The soldiers were fanatically loyal to the Witch Hunter General, and every man was ready to die for him. Nothing boosts morale of these soldiers as much as the sight of Tomaso del Monferrada burning heretics to cinders. But the pirates felt uneasy in his presence.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Speaking of the devil. Where is he?

Now both pirates and soldiers were silent.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
You worthless maggots. Bos'n, take a dozen of men with you and search the jungles! Don't come back without the witch hunter, or you shall walk the plank!

yfpqnlukps.jpg
AYE AYE, CAP'N!

qskmpwzggp.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
We'll never find him. Maybe we should head back? He might have returned to the camp by now.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Wait, I think I see a fire in the distance. Let's go!

yfpqnlukps.jpg
What if it isn't him? There are savages everywhere in these jungles.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Not so close to the coast.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
I don't want to end like Corto the priest. Did you know that...

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Shh. Look.

In the distance, a man was chanting by the campfire.

jpzmelwstv.jpg

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Finally. Lord Tomaso!

guxgougbat.jpg
Why do you bother me, wench? Go back to the ship.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Wh...

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Lord Tomaso, you should come with us immidiately. Please. Captain's orders.

guxgougbat.jpg
I'm not finished here yet.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
The Adrian will set sails before dawn.

guxgougbat.jpg
No, it won't.

An awkward silence took over the conversation. The pirates were unsure of what to say to this. Was it a threat?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
The province belongs to Marignon now. There is nothing left to do here. All who opposed us are dead.

guxgougbat.jpg
A hundred men, including wizards and sorcerers. Do you really think they sacrificed their lives for this worthless chunk of jungle?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
They sorta did, Lord Tomaso. All wizards are crazies. Errr, no offense meant.

guxgougbat.jpg
They were not protecting the land. They were protecting... this.

With these words accompanied by arcane gestures, the witch hunter finished the ritual. The silence of the night was interrupted by a thundering explosion. A beam of light came down from the sky upon a distant temple.

zaqeywnchq.jpg

guxgougbat.jpg
Return to the camp. Tell Cervantes to meet me at the temple.

ctnuriftbs.png

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Hmpf. So what am I looking at, Tomaso?

guxgougbat.jpg
The Throne of Ascension. One of them, to be precise.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Will it fetch a good price?

guxgougbat.jpg
It's worth more than gold. More than lives. More than entire nations. Pretender Gods will wage wars for Thrones like this - the Wars of Ascension.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
I have no time for your religious blabbering. There is still one last province to conquer.

guxgougbat.jpg
Then send somebody else to lead your men. You and me will stay here this month. I must send a message to de Prado. To the whole world. Let everybody know that captain Cervantes de Leon claims the Throne of the Moon, in the name of Divine Right given him by the Pantokrator.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
What a fancy way to put it. Why should I even care?

guxgougbat.jpg
... You will be paid.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
A hundred gold pounds.

guxgougbat.jpg
Thirty.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Enjoy your lonely stay here, witch hunter. Beware of mosquitoes.

guxgougbat.jpg
... Fifty.

miqwxxuyug.jpg
Eighty five.

Last edited:

Lizzurd

Cipher
Cast:
ujcuzvjpev.png
snwyrnnbyv.png
fegbwmoxju.png
dnafkoyetp.png
hsjycuotfm.png

tbztjrfmqq.png

Lizzurd still stands on his spot, but now his body is at the center of the huge arcane whirlwind. Loud crackling silences all other noises. In a few seconds the whirlwind ends.

ultfmiszgt.png
Antrax, I summon your avatar to inhabit the body of Lizzurd!

The whole room appears to be covered in bane flames. The greenish light is able to easily consume even black steel. Even the liches are not fully protected from its effects, but Mortis was defended by the will of Antrax. A great soul infuses the Lizzurd body and begins to control it.

vfkgtxntet.png
Antrax shall speak now.

The Underworld is a ethereal realm, which never changes. There are no wars and no one plots against each other. Trees don't birth and wither there. The rivers flow in loops and even the light is restrained to the bane fire. The ethereal souls roam this shaded lands.
The Underworld is a place of no change. A place of ethereal stasis.
The surface is the most different place. The creatures that inhabit it are not able to look into eternity. They fear to die but not able to enjoy the life. It is common for them to hate each other.

What the nature is? It is not "trees and grass" and neither "wild creatures". The only feature which fully describe the nature is EVOLUTION. It is the evolution what created the human mind and the evolution what made it so unperfect.

In evolution, a negative gradient operates in the perfecting of structural solutions.
In another words, this world gets more and more complicated. The perfectness is slowly fades and the chaos swaps with it.

What task I wish to accomplish? Only the true undead, who have broken the cycle of death and rebirth, know how to change this world. We believe that perfectness is a true opposite to chaos. We will establish the order without the chaos, the civilization without the nature and the world without the evolution. Under the discipline we will reach the ultimate goal of mind.

We declare the eternal war to the nature and everyone who will ally with woodland creatures. We will burn the forests and suppress the nature.

The cursed flames! I direct you upon the country of Pangaea! Consume their realm and turn it to the perfect plain!

Thus I will put this world out of its stasis!

ultfmiszgt.png
The great lord! I was waiting for you to come for a long decades. I will follow your orders now and for ever!

peodanvoit.png

dunjtssjnl.png
Bad news, my friend. Your predictions were right. Mortis was really aiming to swap Lizzurd soul. However you mistaken at one point - He summoned not the horror but Antrax himself. The king of bane fire.

igbivcjlwe.png
I just found it out! While the horrors are interested only in souls and emotions, Antrax will try to rebuild the whole world. It is his ancient goal and this is why he was banished to Underworld.

dunjtssjnl.png
And what you propose to do now?

igbivcjlwe.png
I will come to Antrax service.

dunjtssjnl.png
You mad! You both will destroy this world!

igbivcjlwe.png
You are not right. There are three types of flame - the natural flame, the bane flame and the astral flame. This three types are also known as natural, cursed and sacred. I was studying all of them for a long time. Antrax wants to rebuild the world, but he will never succeed without my help. I am the only one bearer of astral flame who will agree to help him!

dunjtssjnl.png
Why?... For what purpose? I hope one day I will accept your decision, but now I simple don't understand you. Antrax will simply crush your soul.

igbivcjlwe.png
He will NOT. In a few days the world will know me as a prophet of Antrax!

tjiuomprio.png

This part of forest was never as silent as now. With the coming of ghosts many creatures left it, but now it was totally abandoned. Dak'kon was looking worried.

Another minute comes. A few ghost soldiers bound to Dak'kon were worried no less. Previously they had strong souls and therefore they saves their minds even in ghost form.

Another minute. Just another one and Dak'kon will have to fire two sparks of cursed flame to the sky. After the recent events the situation became so critical that Dak'kon decided to setup a few watches to oversee the whole region. Now it is time to check all patrols.

rmbdjzgwbl.png
Maledicti scintilla!

Two white signal sparks flied high to the sky and freezed for a minute. In a horizon another two sparks was blazing with white light.
There should be another pair.

Minute. The second. The third. Something is wrong!

rmbdjzgwbl.png
Oh gods! I can see signal sparks! Red and green! Pangaea is invading us!

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Having internet trouble here, Lizzurd and/or Zephyr Arsland please postpone if I'm not heard from. If it goes on more than 24 hrs. past the original turn deadline, you have my permission to let me stale. I don't forsee that happening, just preparing for the worst. It's an on & off sort of thing right now.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If it goes on more than 24 hrs. past the original turn deadline, you have my permission to let me stale

:hahano: That ain't happening. Not on Codex, where everybody is tempered by RAW pbems. When you play with raw, you get used to:
- Waiting 2-3 months before the game even starts;
- People asking for 24-48h extensions on turn 1;
- Every weekend is "Dominions-free weekend!", which means extension from Thursday to Monday.

So when somebody asks for 24-72h extension, nobody even questions the reason. Do your stuff, man. Don't worry - I got Lizzurd under control.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Cool, thanks guys. Like I said, I don't expect that to happen, but I wanted to be covered just in case.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Hi. The next installment in "Ulm: What the fuck is going on" depicts some bloody things. Kind of nasty, by some standards. If READING about crying girls and bloody things makes you uncomfortable, well, don't.

It's a dark, strange night. The stars seem to glow with a sick luminescence, like dangling fruit too ripe with foul juices. The nocturnal air, normally chilly in this season, is warm and humid instead. Dogs bark and whine as if an earthquake was imminent, bats crash into buildings and die writhing on the floor and cats hiss and fight savagely in back alleys. The good peoples of Ulm have locked themselves in their homes, for a dire warning floats in the wind. The moon hangs low and red in the sky as wolves howl in the distance.

Near a dilapidated church in the dark corner of the nobles' quarter, three figures, two adults and one child, stand below the flickering light of a street torch.

jqnfpv.jpg
I see… this is the girl.

vh5l3a.jpg
Why else would I bring her here? You failed in your mission. I don't think our Mistress will be too happy.

jqnfpv.jpg
*snarling* Silence, woman! I won't stand for your stupid provocations. This task was clearly more suited to your… abilities.

vh5l3a.jpg
Clearly. Let's go inside before anyone sees us.

jqnfpv.jpg
Who would see us? Everybody's afraid, cowering inside… with good reason.

vh5l3a.jpg
*leading the girl by the hand, entering the church* For one, I'm sure her caretakers have already noticed her absence. Lord Austein might be old, but he's a cunning bastard.

jqnfpv.jpg
Let's go.

The group enters via a seemingly-barred side door. They cross a long corridor littered with rubble and flanked with stained, ruined religious icons. A door at the end opens with a loud creaking noise and they emerge next to the main altar, where tall red and black candles burn filling the air with a heady, swirling mist. The altar seems to lie next to a great broken and dusty fountain. Arch-Bishop Shaft and a woman clad in black with a strange, beaked mask stand aside as in conversation but turn towards the arrivals when their footsteps draw close.

wrden9.jpg
Ah, finally! You've found her…! *appreciatively, looking at the little girl with zealous eyes* She's the perfect vessel. Well done, both of you.

vh5l3a.jpg
Actually, Arch-Bishop, I was the one who…

wrden9.jpg
I know who did what. Gascoigne, your performance is disappointing, yet hardly surprising. I should know better than to send you to look for little girls.

jqnfpv.jpg
*lowers head, saying nothing*

wrden9.jpg
No matter, no matter. Our Mistress is almost here. The veil between the worlds is thin, very thin tonight. We only need to coax Her out of Her abode and She'll come.

walt1i.jpg
What do you need us to do, Arch-Bishop?

wrden9.jpg
I need you to keep an eye out for uninvited guests, Eileen. Those bumbling idiots from Austein's manor have been searching everywhere for the girl and it's a matter of time before they come here too. Take Gascoigne with you. If trouble does indeed arise, his battle prowess will prove very, very useful.

walt1i.jpg
Understood. Come, Gasc-

jqnfpv.jpg
I heard him. Lead the way.

*both vanish in the dark that engulfs the rest of the silent church*

wrden9.jpg
Lyuba, strip the girl naked and tie her to the altar. I can feel the time is upon us.

vh5l3a.jpg
As you command, Arch-Bishop.

The silent, entranced girl is then deprived of her clothes. Lyuba works with a feverish speed, as if compelled by an outside force. When she's done, she hoists Matilda lying her against the cold marble and between the candles. The girl stirs and seems to come back from wherever her mind was.

2rctqj4.jpg
Huh…? Where… am I? Lyuba…?

vh5l3a.jpg
Hush, child. Be quiet and receive your gift.

2rctqj4.jpg
Gift? *looking around, startled and scared* What's that? Who's THAT? I want to go home!

vh5l3a.jpg
This'll be your home now. Arch-Bishop, it's done.

wrden9.jpg
The ritual is almost complete. The moon is close, the blood is fresh… it's time.

2rctqj4.jpg
*crying*

Shaft gets closer, mumbling something akin to a chant in a low, raspy tone. His eyes are closed and his cold ivory hand clutches what seems a curved bone knife. He holds it above his head, raising his voice.

wrden9.jpg
… their wills are weak, their minds young. Beware the frailty of men, and take us above…

2rctqj4.jpg
*screaming, sobbing* GO AWAY! HELP! SOMEONE!

wrden9.jpg
...let us PARTAKE IN COMMUNION AND FEAST UPON THE OLD BLOOD! OUR LADY COMETH!

The Arch-Bishop plunges the knife, blinding the hapless girl. Her cries are shrill in the silence and are heard almost everywhere in the empty streets. But they are quickly silenced, for afterwards the knife is down again and this time pierces Matilda's heart. She expires immediately, but as soon as the last gasp escapes her lips, her body convulses and writhes as if in pain. Not a single sound can be heard, apart from the straining ropes holding the trashing girl in place. A fiendish red glow engulfs her and the altar, and Lyuba takes an instinctive step back.

28sn2qe.jpg

The restraints snap and break, and the girl's body raises in the air as if held by invisible threads. She floats, moving convulsively towards the looming fountain behind her. And all of a sudden, it comes alive, rumbling and creaking. There's a crimson explosion and Matilda's body is splashed by fresh blood, spewed from the spring. The crimson glow grows brighter as a shrieking noise, worse than the wail of a hundred banshees, issued forth from the fountain. Lyuba looks away, suddenly nauseated, and when she opens her eyes, everything is silent again. The girl is still there, but she's different, wrapped in bloody linen. She opens her mouth and when she speaks, it's as if every condemned soul below the Earth was moaning and screaming and urging for eternal torture.

6glh06.jpg
I AM RETURNED. The Old Blood, the Covenant we once held… it's renewed. Though Mortals be fragile, Our will is strong. We will show you the way, and you will follow us into the blood soaked depths of Sin. Yes... Zartanna is returned.

Lizzurd

Cipher
Hi. The next installment in "Ulm: What the fuck is going on" depicts some bloody things. Kind of nasty, by some standards. If READING about crying girls and bloody things makes you uncomfortable, well, don't.
This is great! Take my virtual undergraduate brofist!

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah, great stuff here!

Ulm's story is nicely dark, Man gives me an Arthurian/LOTR desperate struggle vibe, Marigon using the perspective of money-hungry pirates is great, and Lizzurd's writing makes me feel like I'm playing Pathologic again (a huge compliment for me :D).

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
OH MY PATHOLOGIC YEAH SPOT ON FFS

Thank you for the kind words. I'm also immensely enjoying the different Nation's stories. Keep up the good work, people!

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Thanks guys! I've been enjoying it too, good stuff folks.
:bro:

Next installment from Man hopefully coming soon, if my connection stays good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom