Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 10: New Blood for the Feast

Which era should we play in?

• Early Age

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

sqeecoo

Arcane
Much of the initial Spanish success was owed to the political astuteness of Hernando Cortes, who quickly divined the disaffection towards the Mexica that prevailed in the eastern empire.
Motecuhzoma’s hesitancy to attack the initial Spanish forces also contributed to the Aztec’s defeat.
Hassig argues that at first Motecuhzoma was unafraid of the Spaniards since the power of the Triple Alliance Empire was great enough to awe most potential enemies. Nor did Cortes and the Spaniards behave like a Mesoamerican invading army. Their behavior was puzzling to the Mexica, but not initially threatening. In Mesoamerican warfare, invading forces did not arrive unannounced. Intentions were clearly broadcast in advance of actual hostilities, but Cortes professed friendly intentions.

Smith EM. The Aztecs (3rd edition). Chichester, UK: Blackwell Publishing. 2012, pp. 289.

That's why it's good to have an astute pirate lead an expedition instead of zealous fanatics. RIP Captain Cervantes :salute:

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
We hardly speak with Them now, since they abandoned us for the Forbidden Depths. We've been forced to assemble electronics for profit and play Dominions for leisure. The sentiment is appreciated though, Brother! Tekeli-li!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
jyifbp.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
That's it, woman. I've had enough!

bjrzttpkie.jpg
And what are you going to do, ratling? Cry?

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Curse you. I'm going back, and you can rot in these jungles, eating mosquitoes and fucking with monkeys for all I care.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
"Going back"? Did you eat the wrong shrooms or something? Back to where? We've discussed it countless times already - there is NO going back!

yfpqnlukps.jpg
SINK ME! it's been MONTHS!

bjrzttpkie.jpg
So? Do you really think that Tomaso del Monferrada will not recognize you if he sees you among the soldiers? If not him, then one of Marignon's inquisitors. Or even the regular soldiers you've been harassing all that time.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Let's come up with a story. We survived the battle. Or maybe we were taken prisoners and escaped.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Prisoners my ass. The entire army of Arcoscephale was slaughtered, their city besieged. They have no prisoners, and there can be no story. You and I are deserters, and the last surviving crew members of the Adrian.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Speaking of which...

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Forget about it. The ship must have been reconstructed and renamed by now, serving under the royal fleet. There is no Adrian - it died together with our cap'n Cervantes.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Curses. CURSES! And curse that day when we faced the army of Arcoscephale.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
I'm still having flashbacks. And nightmares.

wvrjfq.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Me too. I mean, it was all going well, just like the cap'n told us. Our men were better equipped and more skilled than these landlubbers. What's more important, the morale of our troops was unbreakable. The crew adored the cap'n, and the soldiers believed in our just cause.

tmqcwe.jpg

bjrzttpkie.jpg
You really want to discuss it AGAIN?

yfpqnlukps.jpg
You got anything better to do? Build a new ship, maybe?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Oh, show it up your aft. Yes, the battle was STARTING well. It was painfully obvious that phalangites had absolutely nothing against the Hands of Justice, supported by crossbowmen, assorted infantry of Marignon and local milita.

finzro.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Yet they didn't escape.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Well, not IMMIDIATELY they didn't.

tlbdkw.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Sometimes I ask myself if there was anything we could change. That day Marignon won the battle, and the backbone of its army - the Hands of Justice - mostly survived unharmed. But look at us. The last remains of the glorious Adrian. Eveybody else is dead. Gorgeous Harvey Bones, Rough-Sailin' Conroy...

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Fashionably Late Vinny, Jelly Wrist Jack...

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Captain Cervantes de Leon.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Damn it, cap'n. Although, he had it coming.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
True words. Our cap'n always had a deathwish.

dkmvkb.jpg

bjrzttpkie.jpg
What's the last thing you remember about that battle?

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Elephants trampling the crew. The screams. My own voice calling for captain's reason.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Reason. Hah! I remember the moment I ran - it was when I saw several elephants going straight for Cervantes. He did not take a single step back. Instead he fired the pistol, shouting threats and curses.

sfgned.jpg

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Heh, his pistol. Remember how everybody thought of it as of divine power bestowed on Cervantes by the God?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Well, not EVERYBODY. The crew wasn't stupid. He kept the legend going for the sake of royal soldier's morale. Anyway, that was the moment I fled.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Just a few minutes before the enemy was routed. What a shame.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
At least we are alive. That's more than can be said about the rest of the crew.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Alive and stuck in this forsaken jungle! That's it. I'm going back to Marignon.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Go forth, bos'n. The gallows are waiting.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
I'll join the Goethic Order. Marignon forgives all crimes for one year of service there.

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Do you have some sort of magic talents?

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Hm. No?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Then you won't survive this year. They will force you to lead the demons summoned from Infernal planes. You will carry a rod that makes your very flesh rot and wither.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
You are speaking gibberish. And I'm going to Marignon. You with me or not?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Of course not, you halfwit. In fact, I plan to travel as far away from Marignon as possible. But not Mictlan - the savages will be conquered by Tomaso soon enough. And not Bogarus, it's too cold there for my tastes.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Atlantis?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Do I look like a fucking manfrog lover to you? I guess I can visit some taverns of Ulm. When you think of the long coastline under their control, well, I'm sure there are SOME pirates roaming around. They could use my experience.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Still want to sail, eh?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
You know me, bosun. I was born on the ship, and I will die on the ship.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
bjrzttpkie.jpg

I would explore her coastline any day :love:

Great battle report embedded in the dialogue! Love the Lizzurd cameo :)

Dayyālu

Arcane
bjrzttpkie.jpg
Of course not, you halfwit. In fact, I plan to travel as far away from Marignon as possible. But not Mictlan - the savages will be conquered by Tomaso soon enough. And not Bogarus, it's too cold there for my tastes.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Atlantis?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
Do I look like a fucking manfrog lover to you? I guess I can visit some taverns of Ulm. When you think of the long coastline under their control, well, I'm sure there are SOME pirates roaming around. They could use my experience.

yfpqnlukps.jpg
Still want to sail, eh?

bjrzttpkie.jpg
You know me, bosun. I was born on the ship, and I will die on the ship.

yhaoqh.png
cklzpd.png
HEY!

cklzpd.png
As it's widely known....

yhaoqh.png
ATLANTIS GREATEST COUNTRY

cklzpd.png
♫We have all one could dream of ♫

yhaoqh.png
♫ Frozen cities with riches still untold!

cklzpd.png
♫ And...and... Fuck this. We're not good with musical numbers. Let's be more practical! So, what has Atlantis to offer? The most secure and rich cities in the Southern continent, where men and frog alike share goods and wealth!

the-frozen-city-9.jpg

cklzpd.png
You have to get used to the peculiar look, of course, but under the ice you will find the best copy of the Great Capital of Atlantis, the Ice Floe City, in every corner of the Empire!

yhaoqh.png
Miles and miles of coasts under the safe watch of the Angakoks. What is the incredibly small coast under the future control of Ulm in comparison to the greatest hub of commerce of the seas? After all, we control both what's on the surface AND under the surface. The greatest wonders of this age can be yours, at the tiny price of a Water Breathing trinket.

cklzpd.png
And what if you prefer to enlist in the Great Army of Atlantis? Well paid, wel organized, again an example of coordination between Man, Frog, Merman and Triton. And all for the good of the world, in an Holy Crusade to purge te Worst Ghost from our wonderful lands!

yqcuwq.jpg

cklzpd.png
Anything else to say? You don't like the cold? But everyone knows that feminine beauty is only heightened by fur clothing!

images

yhaoqh.png
Join us. Money, Freedom, and much much more!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
cklzpd.png
And what if you prefer to enlist in the Great Army of Atlantis? Well paid, wel organized, again an example of coordination between Man, Frog, Merman and Triton. And all for the good of the world, in an Holy Crusade to purge te Worst Ghost from our wonderful lands!

yqcuwq.jpg

RIP, Lemuria. We barely noticed your presence.

:hero:

Seriously, though. Turn 21, and Lemuria is already banged by three different nations at once. I almost feel sorry for Lizzurd.

Just kidding. I'm not.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Ivan_Constantinovich_Aivazovsky_-_Winter_Scene_in_Little_Russia.JPG

Another cold winter descends upon the land(in some parts, it seems that winter never ended), and the people of Bogarus turn to God for comfort. They have no representative however, the prophet has been dead a year, and God does not hear their pleas. Like so many innocent children suffering needlessly....cries falling on deaf ears.

"This poor child of five was subjected to every possible torture by those cultivated parents. They beat her, thrashed her, kicked her for no reason till her body was one bruise. Then, they went to greater refinements of cruelty -- shut her up all night in the cold and frost in a privy, and because she didn't ask to be taken up at night (as though a child of five sleeping its angelic, sound sleep could be trained to wake and ask), they smeared her face and filled her mouth with excrement, and it was her mother, her mother did this. And that mother could sleep, hearing the poor child's groans! Can you understand why a little creature, who can't even understand what's done to her, should beat her little aching heart with her tiny fist in the dark and the cold, and weep her meek unresentful tears to dear, kind God to protect her? Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice? Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to dear, kind God'! I say nothing of the sufferings of grown-up people, they have eaten the apple, damn them, and the devil take them all! But these little ones! I am making you suffer, Alyosha, you are not yourself. I'll leave off if you like."

"Nevermind. I want to suffer too," muttered Alyosha.

- The Brothers Karamazov (it was hard to find this section, but it is part of one of my favorite chapters. Not sure on the translation).

sqeecoo

Arcane
:bro:

This deserves an extra brofist! Reading that book always gives me chills (while the grammar nazi in me asks whether is should be "The Karamazov Brothers").

My 30th birthday is coming up, and I've been remembering this passage from the same chapter:

Do you know I've been sitting here thinking to myself: that if I didn't believe in life, if I lost faith in the woman I love, lost faith in the order of things, were convinced, in fact, that everything is a disorderly, damnable, and perhaps devil-ridden chaos, if I were struck by every horror of man's disillusionment -- still I should want to live and, having once tasted of the cup, I would not turn away from it till I had drained it! At thirty, though, I shall be sure to leave the cup, even if I've not emptied it, and turn away -- where I don't know. But till I am thirty, I know that my youth will triumph over everything -- every disillusionment, every disgust with life. I've asked myself many times whether there is in the world any despair that would overcome this frantic and perhaps unseemly thirst for life in me, and I've come to the conclusion that there isn't, that is till I am thirty, and then I shall lose it of myself, I fancy.

Lizzurd

Cipher
So, I staled. I will give Grimwulf the password, he is always online and is highly trustable.
I hate midweek.:negative:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Grim and Lizzurd and KoolNoodles have it too I think, but it looks like we are gonna have a stall anyway :(

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I've been pretty busy myself lately, so I haven't been able to keep an eye on the game like I had been. I have been watching the thread though, so yes, by all means, please ask for an extension if you need one folks.

Should we extend the default to something more than 48 hours? I'm guessing it's probably more about memory than time, but if it would help I'll do it.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Should we extend the default to something more than 48 hours? I'm guessing it's probably more about memory than time, but if it would help I'll do it.

Even though you gave away the pass to several ppl, it's still your game. If you feel like it - change the timer. But I don't see any reason to do it.

Also, you might wanna check if hello friend still wants to play. Some players, for some reason, tend to simply abandon their games without saying a word. Are you still with us, men?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
hello friend had some internet issues last week iirc... I hope he's still with us!

Edit: Also, still buying Death gems! Spring sale is upon us, exchange that violet shit with shiny red, green, blue and round shit!!1!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
ghbixd.jpg

bfzrel.jpg
General del Monferrada!

guxgougbat.jpg
Sergeant. Report.

bfzrel.jpg
They managed to fully restore all eastern walls, but we've almost breached the southern and south-western ones. Morale of our troops increased significantly after the arrival of reinforcements from Marignon. Furthermore...

guxgougbat.jpg
What about the savages?

bfzrel.jpg
Nothing to report, my General. We haven't seen them ever since they escaped into the jungles. No sightings of Mictlan forces in our coastal provinces too.

guxgougbat.jpg
What's going on? At first it seemed like they were regrouping. But now they are nowhere to be seen.

bfzrel.jpg
If I may ask, what are our orders regarding Mictlan?

guxgougbat.jpg
Grand Inquisitor de Prado has tasked me to lead the war effort against the savages, but he also made it clear that capturing Arcoscephale is my first priority. It's been months since we've besieged the citadel, and he didn't contact me since then. Only sent reinforcements.

bfzrel.jpg
Do you think that Marignon and Mictlan came to some kind of agreement?

guxgougbat.jpg
If that was the case, I would know. Anything else?

bfzrel.jpg
Yes, actually there is an important-looking man who's been asking for you. He said he came from the city.

guxgougbat.jpg
Well, where is he?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Right behind you, Lord Tomaso. Hope you don't mind me eavesdropping.

guxgougbat.jpg
Garcia. Never thought I would say it, but I start to miss the company of Cervantes.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
So rude. I was merely passing by on my way to Mictlan. Thought you'd be glad to see a friendly face.

guxgougbat.jpg
I can only see your face, Spy Master. What business do you have in Mictlan?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Just keeping an eye on them, General. As should you.

guxgougbat.jpg
I will burn every last savage who tries to come out of those jungles again.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
That won't be necessary. Seems like their forces went towards Lemuria. Or maybe Atlantis. I will figure it out soon enough.

guxgougbat.jpg
Why would they invade any of those nations?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
You've been loitering here for too long, my General. Half of the world is waging war upon Lemuria. Pangaea was the first one to attack, joined by T'ien Ch'i and then Atlantis. Now that everyone failed, Mictlan or C'tis might test their luck.

guxgougbat.jpg
They failed, you say?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Pangaea managed to achieve some success, but it was rather negligible on the big picture. Both T'ien Ch'i and Atlantis captured some territory with moderate-sized warbands, and are currently withdrawing.

guxgougbat.jpg
Moderate-sized, you say? I see. They didn't expect to face the lack of supplies.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Indeed.

guxgougbat.jpg
Fighting against undead effectively takes some experience. I believe Lemuria pillaged all the provinces in their possession by now, so that no living being is left there. One must take serious preparations to venture there with an army.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Lemuria is not the only one killing its own people. Those who worship the Pretender of Atlantis are dying rapidly too. Suicides, or so I heard.

guxgougbat.jpg
Yes, I've heard rumors too. Atlantis is spreading like wildfire, conquering more provinces, infecting the land with its deadly dominion, making threats to smaller nations.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
The Inquisition is concerned. And not only them. I have yet to find a nation that actually supports Atlantis and their constant aggression.

guxgougbat.jpg
Be it so. My primary concern is this citadel. Let the Inquisition make decision about everything else.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
I will be on my way then. Oh yes, they say that a new Prophet will be named this month. Any day now, actually.

guxgougbat.jpg
His Emminence Carmont, I presume?

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
High Inquisitor Mendoza.

guxgougbat.jpg
What? I thought they didn't get along with de Prado.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
That's exactly the reason. Now Mendoza will have to lead the frontline armies instead of interfering in negotiations, or being able to affect Marignon policy in any other way.

guxgougbat.jpg
He was the only man who was trying to achieve peaceful agreements with others. The only Inquisitor seeking diplomatic solutions.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
We should expect much more action from now on, General. Take care of yourself, and farewell.

Last edited:

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
If you feel like it - change the timer. But I don't see any reason to do it.

I don't really want to, but if it would keep folks from staling, I'm willing. I'm with you though, I don't think more time would make a difference.

Dayyālu

Arcane

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
Lemuria is not the only one killing its own people. Those who worship the Pretender of Atlantis are dying rapidly too. Suicides, or so I heard.

yhaoqh.png
It's called the Land of Ice and Bones. *Bones*!

2011-2-22_L%20Narraway-013.jpg

yhaoqh.png
It's not our fault that it looks like that. Tell it to the now-extinct tentacle rapists from the Other Dimension. It's an harsh land, and only those with skills and wits survive. Not the unprepared, or the naive.

cklzpd.png
Into the Wild was such an inspiring and good movie.

yhaoqh.png
It was terrible. You indeed have shit taste, Brother.

guxgougbat.jpg
Yes, I've heard rumors too. Atlantis is spreading like wildfire, conquering more provinces, infecting the land with its deadly dominion, making threats to smaller nations.

fdnjbuuuez.jpg
The Inquisition is concerned. And not only them. I have yet to find a nation that actually supports Atlantis and their constant aggression.

yhaoqh.png
Do we have any good reply for such things? "Costant aggression"? "Deadly Dominion spreading"? "Warmongering and bullying smaller nations"?

bizarro-world11.jpg

cklzpd.png
Nay. They are so absurd and ungrounded in reality that the only correct reply is shitposting. Now, come here. You have to explain me how to beat the Pskov scenario in Panzer General...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom