Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 10: New Blood for the Feast

Which era should we play in?

• Early Age

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

sqeecoo

Arcane
Since hooverdog is not responding and would have stalled turn 3 without any explanation, I for one would be perfectly fine with starting to look for a sub :)

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
All Hail Dreaad, Ruler of the Wastes of the MP subforum.

HAIL DREAAD!

Since hooverdog is not responding and would have stalled turn 3 without any explanation, I for one would be perfectly fine with starting to look for a sub :)

Ok, I've considered the evidence, and I've decided we should indeed look for a sub. Nothing personal, hoverdog - but at least come & let folks know you're gonna be away next time. Hope everything's ok, but we have a game to play here. :)

So, how do we do this? I'm guessing under normal circumstances one would edit the thread title, should I just start a new thread and point here? I think I know how to handle it on the game admin side (just put in the new person's email). Anyone who happens to read this, feel free to speak up if you want to take over for Arcoscephale.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech

Gotcha. If we don't find a sub by tonight (my time), I'll extend the timer one more time. Dreaad , if you feel like editing the thread title, I would appreciate it... but then you'll probably have to do it again when we find a sub. I won't cry if you don't.

Anyone else may feel free to ping anyone they think might be interested, I don't know anyone else here yet. :)

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I will admit a tendency to be a bit of a hard-ass, especially on the internet where it's easy. It's just a game though, so it's not like we're ruining his life by finding a sub. I say this with no personal judgement, but it does seem like he left multiple games hanging after the "away till Monday" post, and as far as I can tell hasn't been heard from since despite several pings. Maybe he has some kind of serious issue going on, but in that case I guess a game is probably the least of his worries.

tl;dr: I also say we keep looking for a sub unless hoverdog at least pops in and says something.

Thanks to Dreaad for updating the OP and changing the title. It would be cool if you could change it again while we find a sub etc., but again, no problem if you don't.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Nah, I think that's a reasonable decision.

Stuff happens, I can understand not having the mental stamina to deal with Dom4 as well even if it wouldn't take long. Not a big deal, and normally I'd advocate for waiting if the game had gotten going. But this early in the game a sub is preferable unless hoverdog reappears, I think. It'll take us a while to find someone, too, so hoverdog has plenty of time to speak up.
I'm also not against restarting if we can't find a sub and he doesn't return. Better than playing with AI.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm also not against restarting if we can't find a sub and he doesn't return.

I wonder if that is somehow related to that dead man entry in HoF.

:troll:

Restart would be easy if it was the first turn (there is an option to rollback to awaiting-Pretender stage - you don't have to resend Pretenders). But if we do it at this stage, it will be waiting for everybody to send Pretenders again. I'm not ready for this, demmit.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Yeah, fuck those knights :(

But no, we are gone far enough it's best to continue. Playing with an AI just feels weird, but we should be able to find a sub if hoverdog doesn't come back.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Yeah, let's just wait for a sub. We have whatever's left of this 48 hr cycle now anyway, hopefully someone will come along.

Also, thanks again Dreaad! :salute:

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Ah, I go away and everything explodes (not really). Hail Dreaad !!

It's not like my vote is really necessary, but I say we find a sub and continue. IF and ONLY IF we can't get one, well... maybe we could restart. I'm not a fan of this ._.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Nah, let's just finish this game, how long could it last?

:troll:

Seriously, once started a game should be abandoned only if a Kritical amount of players leaves, imho. We can deal with a single AI, and maybe a sub will indeed surface...

Last edited:

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I'll find subs for all you bastards if I have to, I'm not abandoning my first game dammit! :argh:
Seriously though...

once started a game shoul be abandoned only if a Kritical amount of players leaves, imho.

:stupid: I definitely don't wanna jump ship just because of one player. I'm really not sure how many actual players there are around here though, is it worth extending the timer, or should I just make Arco AI when the current cycle's up (or as close as I can manage)? I think I'd rather wait an extra day or so if (and only if) there's hope.

Lizzurd

Cipher
Personally i am even fine with setting him AI. Diplomacy is a hard thing on big players and anyone who will manage to break through the AI guard will find himself in a chilling political situation.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yeah, let's just wait for a sub. We have whatever's left of this 48 hr cycle now anyway, hopefully someone will come along.

Has Hoverdog said anything about subbing? He has sent at least three turns for this, even if slow as heck. hoverdog , your call if you can manage this game or not.

If you are searching for a sub, a new thread, a request in playground or the Strategy section can maybe result in someone joining. Or I can make a thread on Desura or ask Malakal for /domg/ or whatever, those are the biggest communities around as far as I understand. Or we can get another Russkie in, it's the same. Just signal if it's needed.

Personally i am even fine with setting him AI. Diplomacy is a hard thing on big players and anyone who will manage to break through the AI guard will find himself in a chilling political situation.

Setting AI a player on turn 3 is somewhat of a waste, and not even that proper. Even if he fucked up (not that I know) it should still be rather easy to recover. An AI gives simply a huge boost to a random player that's fast enough to siege the cap.

I'm not familiar with setting players to AI, can we also choose the AI competence level? Just curious...

No. As far as I understand, it gets set up to Standard, and the only difference in difficulty settings in Dominions is the amount of free resources the AI gets. But I never explored Dominions AI that much.

Lizzurd

Cipher
An AI gives simply a huge boost to a random player that's fast enough to siege the cap.
From my experience AI has very solid strategy with defending capitals. I know many situations when the players were performing very bad, but after setting them to AI fighting with them started to turn into the most difficult challenge. The reason - AI has a huge boner on defending castles. He will waste ALL of his gems on conjuration and will fill his castles with very different and despite that good monsters.
AI is bad with raiding, but hoverdog hasn't captured many provinces yet. And i am sure that any player who will try to beat his capital will meet with a serious defense.

Also, AI is pretty good. Don't know why do you hate him so much. He is playing better then at least half of the players. He is bad with battlefield-wide magic, but we will finish this game even before reach it.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Another couple questions for my betters. I know very little about being cold-blooded, except from raw mechanics (encumbrance penalty in cold provinces), is there any artifact/spell to help fighting in cold provinces? Does cold resistance mitigate it (I'd say no from my experiments)? Is heat from hell influenced by being cold blooded? Does the summer sword actually alter temperature (I'd say no from my experiments)?

Anything you could tell me along those lines would be neat!

Lizzurd

Cipher
Another couple questions for my betters. I know very little about being cold-blooded, except from raw mechanics (encumbrance penalty in cold provinces), is there any artifact/spell to help fighting in cold provinces? Does cold resistance mitigate it (I'd say no from my experiments)? Is heat from hell influenced by being cold blooded? Does the summer sword actually alter temperature (I'd say no from my experiments)?
As I know there are no battle spells to help you. You may want to try cast that scorching winds spell (i don't remember the name, it requires FA) to increase the temperature in the province before the battle. But there is honestly no need for you to use your lizardmen. Because you have UNDEAD LIZARDMEN! Just summon your lizzurd liches and create a huge dead army of chariots and snakes!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom