Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 8: Lizzurd vs Grimwulf. HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS

Should Lizzurd and Grimwulf control Pretender nations, with Pretenders bearing their own names?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So, for those who follow the thread, but don't participate in the game. TEH MINI-REPORT

Dis is me:

Grimwulf, The Statue of Butthurt

htrvwvyrvo.jpg

xxidbnvybo.jpg

Dis is elven army:

ckdoicgovx.jpg

The previous elven ruler saw their demise, but was smart enough to quit pbem in proper time.

THEY DARED TO ATTACK TEH ME

xuvhowcsih.jpg

The end was predictable.

fueuaqqzon.jpg

In fact, it was over-predictable. Lizzurd, my dear friend. I can read you like an open book.

fxcbmrubjt.jpg

Better luck next time game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I love making reports, even though I suck at it. Especially when it comes to videos. But since nobody else makes dem, DON'T JUDGE ME!

Anyway, a couple turns back Grim Team besieged fortress Naivity uncontested, luring Team Lizzurd into a masterfully organized trap. The fortress plays a major strategical role, so no wonder that Lizzurd attempted to break the siege by any means possible. It resulted into three massive (well, at least for turn 17) battles.

First came Pangaea with army of sacred White Centaurs.

This was just a warm-up, though. The cruel tyrant Lizzurd used his henchman as a meatshield; and when Caelum's army was weakened, Bandar Log stepped in.

Tiger Riders sliced through Caelum's ranks. Amrav managed to get out of there alive and without new afflictions.

Now, only Shinuyama could stop Bandar Log from reclaiming position in Naivity.

Meanwhile, on another end of the world, Vanheim went all-in against Pythium, attacking its very capital.

Not a single elf survived.

Both these battles were game-deciding. Lizzurd, you are a worthy opponent, but we don't have to drag this game. I am pretty sure it's obvious how this ends. So, in order to stop the struggle for both of us, I offer you an honorary surrender. Let's shake hands, declare Grim Team the winner, and Grimwulf the Master Autist. And have a drink!

Lizzurd

Cipher
I declare my surrender at Decline8. The last turn was the most unfortunate to me and now i wish to end this game.
There are a few reasons for that. I have much less time then before in august, when i and Grimwulf planned to start this game. But the main reason is that the position of my team is fatal. At the moment it may look like a stalemate, however the prognosis is very bad and the next turns will bring only despair.
1. In the suicidal attack on Pythium capital Vanaheim lost all his units. This order may look the most faint, but in fact the position on this front was already bad and this risking move was my only hope.
2. This leads to the moment when Pythium has in 2-4 times more mages, doubles their recruit speed of Vanaheim and also has overpowering research.
3. Shinuyama and Caelum succeded in the capturing the middle area. Ultimately they managed to siege my castle. My and Pangaea joint attempts to break it failed, although we were able to fend off Caelum's army.
4. Sceleria has somewhat nice position, and also is a good nation against Caelum. However it doesn't matter now since we have failed on two other fronts.
5. Ultimately this leads to the moment when Grimwulf's team has the same amount of provinces, but better research and more suited armies for middlegame. We can fight for the next 20-30 turns, but each turn will only weaken my team and bring new victories to Grimwulf's.

Who i should blame for this? Well, this was totally my fault.
1. The biggest problem was my liberal leadership at the start of the game. I allowed teammates too much and soon our whole team was acting somewhat bad, despite having very good nations. I cannot sure how bad situation on Sceleria and Pangaea, but i was shocked when i saw Vanaheim turn. He has the worst expansion, and despite being the most powerful earlygame nation in the age he still failed to fight with Pythium. The best way to stop this was to take full control over his actions, but in my blindness i ignored that.
2. This leads to the moment when i decided to change rights in my team and to take full control of it. However this was already too late, situation was declining very quickly. With the failed capture of Pythium capital situation is indeed doomed. This was too much late!

Hail to Grimwulf!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Great post.

:bravo:

The biggest problem was my liberal leadership

This.

I want to add that you were a worthy opponent, and I had to drink gallons of alcohol to deal with stress and come up with effective approach. I would also like to thank my team for enduring my tyranny. Good game, good times.

Ok, I'll just go ahead and declare this game finished on llamaserver. The show is over, guys!

mondblut

Arcane
5. Ultimately this leads to the moment when Grimwulf's team has the same amount of provinces, but better research and more suited armies for middlegame. We can fight for the next 20-30 turns, but each turn will only weaken my team and bring new victories to Grimwulf's.

Bloody meatbags, always quitting just when the game is about to actually become entertaining :/

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I declare my surrender at Decline8. The last turn was the most unfortunate to me and now i wish to end this game.
There are a few reasons for that. I have much less time then before in august, when i and Grimwulf planned to start this game. But the main reason is that the position of my team is fatal. At the moment it may look like a stalemate, however the prognosis is very bad and the next turns will bring only despair.
1. In the suicidal attack on Pythium capital Vanaheim lost all his units. This order may look the most faint, but in fact the position on this front was already bad and this risking move was my only hope.
2. This leads to the moment when Pythium has in 2-4 times more mages, doubles their recruit speed of Vanaheim and also has overpowering research.
3. Shinuyama and Caelum succeded in the capturing the middle area. Ultimately they managed to siege my castle. My and Pangaea joint attempts to break it failed, although we were able to fend off Caelum's army.
4. Sceleria has somewhat nice position, and also is a good nation against Caelum. However it doesn't matter now since we have failed on two other fronts.

1. The biggest problem was my liberal leadership at the start of the game. I allowed teammates too much and soon our whole team was acting somewhat bad, despite having very good nations. I cannot sure how bad situation on Sceleria and Pangaea, but i was shocked when i saw Vanaheim turn. He has the worst expansion, and despite being the most powerful earlygame nation in the age he still failed to fight with Pythium. The best way to stop this was to take full control over his actions, but in my blindness i ignored that.
2. This leads to the moment when i decided to change rights in my team and to take full control of it. However this was already too late, situation was declining very quickly. With the failed capture of Pythium capital situation is indeed doomed. This was too much late!

Hail to Grimwulf!
I am proud to have been a part of your team.... even if it was only for two turns. :salute:

Zibniyat

Arcane

Hail to Grimwulf!

I disagree with most of what is said here, but I shall not discuss it. The game has ended, so be it.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Mind to explain your build, now that all is settled?

Hrmf, do you mean my team or Lizzurd's? Coz I don't understand his disciple designs at all.

Ok, so here goes.

1. Pythium.

scwrfzwwlg.jpg

F9 bless is great by itself, but it's exceptionally great against Lizzurd's sacreds. White Centaurs of Pangaea; Tiger Riders of Bandar Log; elven cavalry of Vanheim; Shadow Vestals of Sceleria - they all rely on heavy defence. If you have means to counter defence (and preferably elven Glamour and Scelerian etherealness), all Lizzurd's sacreds are garbage. F9 grants boost to attack and additional fire damage, and that's all that I ever needed against them. Took E4, because it was affordable.

I kinda messed up research priorities of Pythium, and went for Alt4 too late. I evaluated Vanheim wrongly. What I saw as failed expansion, was actually Waterpls ignoring his expansion completely in favor of sneaking elven raiders deep into my territory. My Vestals under F9 were not too great at beating the elves, although they managed to cause significant damage. What I needed was Hydras under Body Ethereal. Eventually I reached Alt4, recruited some Hydras, got myself some Snake Rings (so that S1 casters won't die of Poison Cloud), and was ready to go full counter-attack. But I actually managed to deal with Vanheim's invasion without Hydra's help.

Pythium doesn't benefit from F9, obviously, except for extremely fast and cheap expansion with Vestals.

gotiyrdcaa.png

Expanding with small groups of Vestals, I managed to afford a fort for me + sponsor forts for all of my Disciples. And I also had spare gold for mass-Theurg recruitment and mercs.

gmifrlkane.png

F9 Vestals are amazing during first year, but become obsolete later on. In any case, my bless was meant for Disciples, not for myself.

2. Caelum.

ttzogixevp.jpg

Was designed to wreak havok in early game (which he did), then begin summoning Caelum's awesome nationals. Research was meant to be boosted by heavy Owl Quill forging. Caelum has cheap A1 casters, and our team got great cummulative air income. We never got to that stage, but Azi played a major role anyway. Won a bunch of provinces solo; beaten Throne defenders; beaten Pangaea army during battle for fort Naivity. He is quite a beast under F9E4 bless.

ooptwypwaw.jpg

Since our team had a very high astral income, I also had high hopes for Yazadas. By the time Team Lizzurd surrendered, Caelum was reaching Conj5 and had several Shamans ready and waiting. I was about to forge astral boosters and send him pearls for summoning. Didn't get to that stage, after all.

3. Jotunheim.

Can't find a turn with Jotunheim's Disciple (I believe he only participated in one battle), but it was simply a rainbow Skratti for site searching. Jotunheim's role was to deploy Glosos. F9E4 Glosos beat anything of size3 and larger with a smirk on their piggy faces. By the time Lizzurd surrendered, Jotunheim sent an army of Glosos sneaking towards Vanheim; and was also preparing a summoning factory in the central ring for Bandar Log's Tiger Raiders and Pangaean Centaurs. Dem Glosos are truly great when they can't trample their opponents.

4. Shinuyama.

igpnzwvhvv.jpg

Summoning Tengus all turn, every turn. Self-explanatory. Our birds made some tough love with Bandar Log.

= = =

The general plan was to focus on the central ring. By turn 17 Team Lizzurd lost the grip on it completely. From the start I planned a defensive playstyle, because Lizzurd's nations were much, much better suited for early wars. All the best tools of my team (Glosos, Tengus, Yazadas, Hydras under Body Ethereal, Harbingers) were beyond our reach early on. And I played the game building up potential. Jotunheim had three blood hunting sites, fully stuffed with hunters and patrols. Caelum had a massive Quill forging going on. Pythium and Jotunheim were researching Construction. I was preparing for a long game, and was confident enough that EVEN if Lizzurd wins an advantage early on, I can always outplay him in the long run. Especially with Lizzurd's lbrul approach to leading the team.

But anyway, most of my ideas didn't have a chance to be realized, and here I am. Good game.

Lizzurd

Cipher
The whole Decline8 in 2 minutes:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom