Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decompilation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution available now

grimace

Arcane
screenshot1.png

This project requires a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut to run.

https://github.com/rrika/cdcEngineDXHR

grimace

Arcane
What are the biggest flaws in the code that modders can now alter and correct?

Codex Year of the Donut
From a quick skim, I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. This doesn't look like decompiled code, it's not structured like it, and too much information is there that almost guaranteed wouldn't have been able to be reconstructed without significant manual labor. Templates are a fairly obvious sign here, as they are just a compile time abstraction that exist as unique types at runtime.
otoh, there's a lot of unimplemented methods simply marked as TODO.

I could be wrong, but it looks more like someone managed to obtain, perhaps incomplete, leaked source code. And perhaps it's mixed with some decompiled code.
Or it is decompiled + someone is a serious fan of the game and put in a lot of effort, more than I'd ever be willing to anyways.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
From a quick skim, I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. This doesn't look like decompiled code, it's not structured like it, and too much information is there that almost guaranteed wouldn't have been able to be reconstructed without significant manual labor. Templates are a fairly obvious sign here, as they are just a compile time abstraction that exist as unique types at runtime.

I could be wrong, but it looks more like someone managed to obtain, perhaps incomplete, leaked source code. And perhaps it's mixed with some decompiled code.
Or it is decompiled + someone is a serious fan of the game and put in a lot of effort, more than I'd ever be willing to anyways.
I have not a fucking clue what you said Rusty. Does it mean they could remove the shitty hacking mini games and make the game better?

Wunderbar

Arcane

I have not a fucking clue what you said Rusty.
decompiled code usually looks like a machine-written spaghetti.

J1M

Arcane

Since many people will have forgot, reminder that the Detroit section of the game "leaked" several months before launch. Based on your analysis I wonder if the code is from that version and presented as something new.

ferratilis

Magister
This game has crazy stuttering issues on a range of computers. People online say it's because the version sold on Steam is actually a bad Wii U port and that the original works just fine. If this decompilation means they could fix the stutters, I'd be happy.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Since many people will have forgot, reminder that the Detroit section of the game "leaked" several months before launch. Based on your analysis I wonder if the code is from that version and presented as something new.
Going by the commit history and related repos it's just a hard working tranny's labor of love...

Ereshkigal

Educated
This game has crazy stuttering issues on a range of computers. People online say it's because the version sold on Steam is actually a bad Wii U port and that the original works just fine. If this decompilation means they could fix the stutters, I'd be happy.
It's a problem of the Director's Cut version.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What's up with all the decompilations going on recently? Doesn't this kind of thing take years of reverse engineering? The first big ones to come out were the Super Mario 64 decomps, but that was after a source code leak. There have been decomps of the genesis Sonic games for ages, but those games have been hacked to pieces by true blue Sonic autists since the 90s. How come we're all of a sudden seeing decomps come out of nowhere for games like Jak & Daxter and Perfect Dark?

Gradenmayer

Learned
What's up with all the decompilations going on recently? Doesn't this kind of thing take years of reverse engineering? The first big ones to come out were the Super Mario 64 decomps, but that was after a source code leak. There have been decomps of the genesis Sonic games for ages, but those games have been hacked to pieces by true blue Sonic autists since the 90s. How come we're all of a sudden seeing decomps come out of nowhere for games like Jak & Daxter and Perfect Dark?
Well, the author of this decompile does state it took them years to decompile HR.
Probably just a coincidence.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My impression is the tools got better / more accessible. You can even freely downloqd the nsa tool now

I enjoyed some parts of HR a lot. I'd play it again if I was able to remove the hacking mini-game and the takedown cutscenes. Even better if some randomness could be added to patrols.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom