Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deep Rune - a side-scrolling adventure with RPG mechanics and puzzle solving

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer

After I played Myth Bearer and learned that these games actually are part of a genre called fixed value strategy games (maybe there is a better name) which are strategy games in disguise as an RPG. They are inspired by a game called Magic Tower (I could only find a game called Tower of the Sorcerer that matched, maybe they are the same).

Anyways. You can choose between 6 classes and unlock 2 more. I played the Thief. You need to manage your ressources and if you want to play it without any deaths you must be extra careful or have enough experience to find the best route. Even if you accept the occasional death you can only die 10 times.

Deep Rune is in many ways a big improvement in comparison to Myth Bearer. The only thing that is worse is the variety in the environments since Myth Bearer is predominantly outdoor while Deep Rune is just one big dungeon. It's very polished, there's more variety in the game systems and the ending was much better. It took me a bit over 2 hours to complete it, so it's shorter than Myth Bearer but the pacing felt better. If you are a highscore/completionist type of player you will also get a lot more playtime out of the game.

Recommended! If you want to play both games, I would start with Myth Bearer.

deep_rune_1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfleet

After I played Myth Bearer and learned that these games actually are part of a genre called fixed value strategy games (maybe there is a better name) which are strategy games in disguise as an RPG.
What is that even supposed to mean? RPGs *ARE* strategy games "in disguise". The entire invention of the RPG comes from a strategy game where the number of pieces got reduced and then the pieces were given names and complex stats. Instead of 300 swordsmans and a catapult, you got Grognak the Barbarian and Flumbus the Wizard.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
good thing that those promissing games got demos
Since you're here and in case you're not aware, full determinism is one of the two main features of the two games made by this dude, the second one, not unrelated, being that enemies don't move, which means the only hidden information, known information here including everything enemies will do since they will do nothing, is that you don't know what takes place in the parts of the world you've not visited yet.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
What is that even supposed to mean? RPGs *ARE* strategy games "in disguise". The entire invention of the RPG comes from a strategy game where the number of pieces got reduced and then the pieces were given names and complex stats.
The focus in this game is certainly on the strategy/puzzle aspect - it doesn't feel like most other RPGs, that's all what I wanted to say.

Last edited:

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I thought I was finished with the game but I decided to give it another try. I played as a merchant and had zero deaths in the end (I had a few deaths but didn't accept them). Got the magic wand which halves all the mana cost of the spells.

merchant_run2.png
merchant_run1.png

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Did another run with the Explorer to get the speedrun achievement. I have now over 5 hours in the game and must say, I like the game a lot more than Myth Bearer. It's very polished and just feels better - the pacing and many details.

explorer_run.png

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Did another run! This time as a cleric. I didn't focus on completing the game fast but getting a higher score and killing more enemies.
Got three new achievements but I still only have 9 of 25. Game is still fun, even more I would say. Very satisfying to play, especially multiple times.

Got over the 1000 points mark which unlocks a new character, the scholar which gets XP bonuses and mana points for instant kills.

cleric_run1.jpg
cleric_run2.jpg
cleric_run3.jpg

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Did a few new runs with the Scholar! Got over 2000 points! After making the jam game which was inspired by Deep Rune and Myth Bearer, I thought I would give Deep Rune another try.

screenshot_deep_rune.png

Unlocked the Sage character who gets double the Insight which could result in very high scores. Got also the Shield Bearer achievement (all shields), the Jeweler achievement (all rings), the experienced achievement (level 35) and the one for getting over 2000 points with the scholar and the other one for unlocking the Sage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom