Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Define yourself as an alien race

Angthoron

Arcane
Actually, such a bunch could have an amusing mechanic to them, since, if they escaped from some other race, they'd by default want to be peaceful and defensive/turtle-like, but, if the player would want to make the race to become more war-like, they'd have to inject Paranoia patches (or create more robots that have Paranoid/Subservient personalities) for the society to approve of military action. Or something of that sort. Mess about with poor robots.

tiagocc0

Arcane
But if each AI has one body, and has a personality like we do, so it becomes an alien in disguise.
There should be variations to the hivemind but we have to be careful not to turn them into humans.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
But if each AI has one body, and has a personality like we do, so it becomes an alien in disguise.
There should be variations to the hivemind but we have to be careful not to turn them into humans.
You can have organic hiveminds, like klackons or most of the 'space insects' (another common sci-fi trope), so why not individualistic robots? I agree though, such a race has to stand out in some way, or else it would be nothing more than aliens in tin cans. Angthoron's idea of imprinted personalities sounds nice enough.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yes, that's a good idea.

Or we could have a very different population base, where they prefer to be on bodies, but killing them doesn't actually decrease their populations because they just go and build more bodies and the ai goes back to it.
So it could inccur in reduced production because they would need to constantly replace bodies on wars yet they would retain all of their knowlodge and have a semi-immortality as long as they are able to be retained in their main servers.

Kirtai

Augur
Remote operated or exchangeable bodies, the ability to transfer minds and thus survive the death of their body or even being able to inhabit multiple bodies simultaneously would have an interesting effect on their psychology. They may regard physical death as a minor injury.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yes, and maybe even upgrade their bodies as technologies advance, maybe even becoming a ship.

tiagocc0

Arcane
But they might have to allow some to be disconnected or their exploration war efforts would be very limited.

One has to make several question as to set the limits of an AI race:
Does the AI is an algorithm(runs on a server) or a robot(needs a body to funtion)?
-If it's a robot it means that no server is able to contain them all, so each robot is really expensive and is a server itself.
-If it's an algorithm it means that one huge server can hold them all and thus body is cheap and replaceable.

Does the AI modifies itself or has it reached as state where further modification is dangerous or not desired?
-If it modifies itself we can assume there are different AIs of varying sizes for varying purposes, it does not have a defined shape.
-If it does not modifies itself then it's trying to simulate organic life maybe because to imitate their creators, because it's the most logical course of action or because it's the only way they were able to maintain a stable consicence.

Does the AI wants to coexist with organics or they think organics are a threat?
-If they don't mind organics then they probably could try to be like them because that's a good way to make organics like them.
-If they see organics as a threat then they probably doesn't want to resemble organics and may have a totally different shape, visual appearance that is most effecient to them regardless of if others might think it's buttugly.

Does the AI wants to survive or to dominate?
Does the AI have a hivemind or they prefer being individuals?
Does the AI have semi-immortality or do they programs reach a time where it becomes erratically?

and so on.. =D

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A race of matriarchic humanoid aliens. Basically the cliche sexy alien chicks (Elerians in MoO2, or the famous Orion slavegirls form Star Trek). Political organisation is monarchic/aristocratic, they're manipulative diplomatic bitches and have a very imperialist attitude. They're pretty aggressive but their favourite way of dominating the galaxy is by way of diplomacy - sell trading privileges for high prices, create tension among enemy empires by diplomatic manipulation etc.

tiagocc0

Arcane
A race of matriarchic humanoid aliens. Basically the cliche sexy alien chicks (Elerians in MoO2, or the famous Orion slavegirls form Star Trek). Political organisation is monarchic/aristocratic, they're manipulative diplomatic bitches and have a very imperialist attitude. They're pretty aggressive but their favourite way of dominating the galaxy is by way of diplomacy - sell trading privileges for high prices, create tension among enemy empires by diplomatic manipulation etc.
This is a must, but I still struggling with my concept artist for him to make sexy aliens!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
We're now discussing a fully autonomous, self-aware AI.

I think it doesn't need to be the case. Let's say some civilization used droids for maintenance, security - whatever, doesn't matter. Then it vanished in one way or another. The robots remained, however, and they had enough energy supplied to last them nearly forever. Slowly but surely, their programming became damaged and glitched, and at last they became aware.
Such droids would start from basically the beginning. They are suddenly self-conscious, but they know nothing of the outside world, nothing at all. The program that was build in is still kicking, to an extent, so they're torn between their newly found awareness and a voice that told them what to do for centuries. It's like a hundred people with complete amnesia found themselves on a bright new space station: wow, where are we? who are we? where do we come from? oooh, shiny! :pushes button: Imagine them finding out that they were created only for sweeping the floors.
These droids would be a very naive, curious group, searching for meaning, answers, only starting to develop what we'd call morality or ethics. At first they would suffer from extremely rigid thinking, but the more they'd find and explore, talk with others, the more they would overpower the remnants of their programming. Their stance, whether they become aggresive terminators or peaceful helpers, might depend on how they are treated in the beginning. Such simple folk (for a lack of a better word) could have been used easily, i.e. to surrender everything useful in exchange for worthless trinkets, making them distrustful and warlike, but treating them as equals would lead to creating a tranquil, cooperative civilization.

though I think it's a better subject for a book than a strategy game :D

Kirtai

Augur
Saturns Children and Primordia might be worth a look at for AI societies.

EruDaan

Arcane
I wonder how a robot or even an A.I. could develop self awareness. How would that work?

Angthoron

Arcane
This is a must, but I still struggling with my concept artist for him to make sexy aliens!
Have him watch the original Total Recall, that should get his creative juices flowing.

...No pun intended.

Job Creator

Arcane
I wonder how a robot or even an A.I. could develop self awareness. How would that work?

I wonder the same thing about our brain, Daanny boy, which is essentially a vat of single-celled creatures spewing molecules and zapping each other.
Could some sort of an instrumental uncertainty be fundamental to awareness itself? I remember from back when I played around with a hopfield some randomness helped its recognition. I guess some minor investigation would reveal whether the human brain could feature such things, but these days I'm busy with other things (shitposting)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom