Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Deleted Scenes of Deus Ex at Eurogamer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Deus Ex; Harvey Smith; Majestic Revelations; Sheldon Pacotti

Eurogamer offers a retrospective article about the first version of Deus Ex's plot, back when the game was still known as Majestic Revelations, with contributions from Sheldon Pacotti and Harvey Smith. Have a snippet:

Story wasn't the only reason for editing Deus Ex away from its original vision, however - fiscal and technological realities played a role too. Sheldon mentions a mid-game level in the White House level as a particularly complex task for the level designers to realise and the decision was ultimately made to focus that effort elsewhere. In a post-mortem lecture filmed in 2008, Warren Spector lays decisions like this at the feet of designer Harvey Smith.

"On a daily basis I was building the rooms," explains a humble Smith. "So, I knew how big a room could be before the renderer would choke and how many guys we could have on screen. I had an intimacy with the tools."

Armed with this technological understanding, Smith approached Spector and argued for what he considers the two most critical changes to the original vision. The first was a new skill system with fewer abilities but more demonstrable effects - so the guns didn't do more damage but instead got easier to use as you advanced. The second was a trimmed down version of the story that abandoned the Mexican invasion and space stations in order to become more technologically feasible and narratively intimate.

"If you think of a game from outside you very often add way too much to it and way too many characters," explained Smith, retrospectively. "That's fine if you're making a sim game, but very often a story is about just a handful of characters. And I think that was part of the problem; I had this sense that [Majestic Revelations' plot] was too crazy, too much."

Smith's new version of the plot sought to reuse completed assets wherever possible, but abandoned sections that weren't already in development. Much of Majestic Revelations would have been set in war-torn Texas or bizarrely around Denver airport, but these ideas were never even prototyped, discarded to allow focus elsewhere. An underwater city in a flooded Hollywood valley became a secret MJ12 research base. The Helios space station where the game would have ended (with nuclear explosions in space, no less) was repurposed for Area 51, meaning the team didn't have to struggle with coding zero-gravity combat.​

Spotted at Gamebanshee

DraQ

Arcane
"So, I knew how big a room could be before the renderer would choke"​
skaarj-tower-shadow-and-fire-13103.jpg
About this large?

Seems a bit bigger than White House.
With Eiffel's Tower put on top of it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, the new version of the plot is definitely less derpy than what they had originally envisioned.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Majestic Revelations
Truly, a game before its time.
would have been set in war-torn Texas or bizarrely around Denver airport
Hardly a bizarre choice, actually very well chosen I must say:
Denver3a.jpg

death_of_christianity_indian_2.jpg

• Secret Underground Base – This is the most common charge against the Denver Airport, that it is built over the top of a massive, secret underground military base.
http://illuminatifordummies.blogspot.it/2009/04/denver-airport.html

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah that art alone in the Denver Airport could be a premise for an entire new Deus Ex. It is fucking so bizarre. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seems a bit bigger than White House.
With Eiffel's Tower put on top of it.
And what about the people?

Even shipped Deus Ex would have its framerate choke and sputter in particularly large rooms at its release.

DraQ

Arcane
And what about the people?

Even shipped Deus Ex would have its framerate choke and sputter in particularly large rooms at its release.
From what I've seen DX devs had no clue how to effectively work with Unreal Tech 1.

There is so much spurious shit in there (like effects that don't even look that good, but try to use every capability engine provides at once) that it isn't even funny.

Plus, I don't know how many people the wanted to cram in there, but I don't see any practical numvber bogging the engine down unless player lit them all up with WP GEP round.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Interesting, to say the least.

Guess it's another good example of collaboration being an important thing, and art-through-adversity being very real.

MCA
Finally, Spector exposed as a hack. If it weren't for Smith, hardly anyone would be giving a flying fuck about DX today. Kind of like the deal with original SW trilogy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
yes both the newspapers, emails, and 'news' write about it.

I think it's a bit more nuanced than just 'mexican invasion' though, as is obvious from the original tinfoil-hat game.
Not quite sure if it isn't the other way around and i think the war is 'over' and UNTACO is just 'picking up the pieces' so to say.
There are bits of the game that mention a previous 'rebellion' and it looks like a stalemate, that the US won out but didn't smash (possibly by signing away the zone to a UN peacekeeping zone and washing their hands), maybe the US invaded parts of mexico and parts of mexico took texas when they rebelled in turn, taking back their clay.

Those murals above sure are ... special. Are those coffins? They sure do look like a deranged dramaqueen made them, maybe inspired by real events, but looks tacky as hell.

Cabazone

Educated
Yes, supposedly Spector has no talent at all and just takes credit for everyone else who works for him.

To assemble and coordinate efficiently a team of talented people is in itself a talent, a very important one.

Wasn't Harvey Smith in charge of DX2?
Wasn't that a huge piece of crap?

Yes, it is interesting to see how the streamlining oriented volition of H. Smith might has been a beneficial factor on deus ex 1, and a negative one on all his other games after that (minus, maybe, dishonored). "talent" can be a very contextualized thing.

MCA
You mean the DX:IW that Spector called "exactly as I imagined". The funny thing is that the only good thing about IW is the story and the narrative. As a game, it is a clusterfuck beyond salvage and we have no one but Spector to be thankful of that.

R00FLES!

I don't know about BA51 but I thought that it was obvious it's a shit game for the casual market. Dishonored has character and trace perks of old games, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom