Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's been almost a decade since I witness a Sega v Nintendo forum discussion. Please do continue.

pippin

Originally released at US$159, Sega dropped the price to $99 in only a few months and ultimately cleared the remaining inventory at $19.95.

:roll:

Out of all the things HA said, the "physics" of Sonic really surprise me... People have praised Sonic's graphics, music or even the speed, but I've never read anyone saying the physics were supposed to be a comparison point. I don't really know what to say, since I've played Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, 3D and Spinball, and I've never felt the series was meant to portray a groundbreaking physics model. If by that you mean certain times where the characters moved at a different pace, or had to push bricks to complete puzzles, or had to swallow bubbles to get more air, then it's not physics at all, really. Or at least I don't believe they should be considered as examples of physics. I mean, you had The Incredible Machine, or even Lemmings.

I tried to take your post seriously, but I couldn't, because you sound like a former Sega employee who is extremely butthurt about how Sega ran itself to the ground. I can't argue against that kind of logic, and it's weird, because many people say Nintendo had the best RPGs, but I always preferred the Shining Force series.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Out of all the things HA said, the "physics" of Sonic really surprise me... People have praised Sonic's graphics, music or even the speed, but I've never read anyone saying the physics were supposed to be a comparison point. I don't really know what to say, since I've played Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, 3D and Spinball, and I've never felt the series was meant to portray a groundbreaking physics model. If by that you mean certain times where the characters moved at a different pace, or had to push bricks to complete puzzles, or had to swallow bubbles to get more air, then it's not physics at all, really. Or at least I don't believe they should be considered as examples of physics. I mean, you had The Incredible Machine, or even Lemmings.

People who have successfully completed any Sonic game know that the speed element is meant to foster map manipulation (IE physics).

"Physics" is not the first word people use to describe most games. Most people won't reference the physics in Mirror's Edge or Portal even though the latter is essentially a series of spatial physics puzzles.

Here's a random youtuber discussing Sonic games and elucidating what makes the game fun to play:

I tried to take your post seriously, but I couldn't, because you sound like a former Sega employee who is extremely butthurt about how Sega ran itself to the ground. I can't argue against that kind of logic, and it's weird, because many people say Nintendo had the best RPGs, but I always preferred the Shining Force series.

I don't think Sega created an also-ran system that failed because Nintendo didn't go out of business. Sega did not enter the hardware business to "annihilate" Nintendo as a company, they wanted to make a profit. They just happened to mortally wound Nintendo's market monopoly position in the process.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Well, I didn't feel the need to name off a laundry list of titles that the SNES had as opposed to the Genesis, but I guess we will get down to it. It's not an age thing. The SNES simply is a better system. In most games the color even looks better. 8 bit sound quality is a big negative in my book. The controller complaints are just a matter of preference as well. I never liked the button design. There is a reason Sony copied the SNES with their controller. The Genesis did do some quality Arcade ports. No doubt about it. Altered Beast rocks.

There is no doubt that the Genesis had some solid titles that were just as good as the SNES ones. I suppose you can argue the 32X and Sega CD were decent peripherals, which I tend to agree, but the horrible design of the console and the hookups is unforgivable. It simply looks like shit. You can argue that you don't need to plug them all in, but the fact remains that they could have stuck with either the 32X OR the Sega CD so they didn't leave their early adopters high and dry. How many titles even took advantage of those two add ons? Not that many. The 32X was pointless imo. The SNES had simplicity as it's strength. Instead of adding some gaudy 32X type peripheral they threw in the FX chip on the cartridge with StarFox. As far as the Final Fantasy comment goes, you could substitute any number of other RPG's the SNES had that the Genesis didn't. The Genesis was lacking in that department aside from a few gems here and there. Shining Force is badass. No doubt about it.

Just a small list of titles aside from those already mentioned. I could give two shits about sports games. Genesis did have Joe Montana Football which was good.

Shadowrun - some prefer the Genesis version. The SNES version has a better story.
Super Punch Out - Genesis has nothing to compare to this.
F-Zero - I suppose Sega has Outrun.
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I can't think of a decent Genesis replacement for this.
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Terranigma
Super Bonk
Super Mario All Stars
Tecmo Super Bowl
Top Gear
Super Double Dragon
Super Adventure Island
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Bomberman
Secret of Mana
SimCity 2000
Illusion of Gaia
MegaMan X
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest
Killer Instinct - Eternal Champions is good. I would venture to say underrated.
Donkey Kong Country - Nothing on Genesis beats this as far as exclusive platformers go.
Super Metroid
Super R-Type
Lagoon - I just like this game.
Ogre Battle
Kirby
Yoshi's Island

I'll stop there. Most ports are better on the SNES. SNES has Genesis beat in RPG's and platforming. When people think back fondly to great JRPG's of yore they think Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Whether that is good or not is irrelevant. Hardly anyone will mention Phantasy Star or Lunar. I would say they have them beat in fighting games too. I'm struggling to think of what Genesis has that is so much better than the SNES. Now if you bring up the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast then you can argue they had Nintendo beat in those generations, but the SNES is clearly superior in almost every aspect.

Or so it's said. Mega Drive games in general have way better soundtracks so what's that good for.

I just don't agree with you there pal. Final Fantasy 6 has an amazing soundtrack. I could name others. Name off some.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Final Fantasy might be pretty lame by some standards, but it's a good example of a soundtrack that the Genesis couldn't have pulled off. I'll give you Sonic, Streets of Rage and Shinobi. I don't know why the others are even on there.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Hahahahah

"Altered Beast was pretty good."

Hahahahaha

There is no doubt that the Genesis had some solid titles that were just as good as the SNES ones. I suppose you can argue the 32X and Sega CD were decent peripherals, which I tend to agree, but the horrible design of the console and the hookups is unforgivable. It simply looks like shit. You can argue that you don't need to plug them all in, but the fact remains that they could have stuck with either the 32X OR the Sega CD so they didn't leave their early adopters high and dry. How many titles even took advantage of those two add ons? Not that many. The 32X was pointless imo. The SNES had simplicity as it's strength. Instead of adding some gaudy 32X type peripheral they threw in the FX chip on the cartridge with StarFox.

Right, Nintendo preferred to offload tech costs to the customer in the form of $80, $90, and $100 carts. Hypocritically, whenever fanboys wish to avoid a humiliating defeat they make sure that SCD games are off the table. It's not fair nor logical to do that but I understand the psychical need to make it a close fight.

(of course, SOJ ruined everything by refusing to allow Sony to develop the Sega Playstation)
For Arcade ports the SNK Consoles were better :M

Neo Geo was fucking cool. It was also expensive, unpopular, and lacked the extensive game library of the genesis.

As far as the Final Fantasy comment goes, you could substitute any number of other RPG's the SNES had that the Genesis didn't. The Genesis was lacking in that department aside from a few gems here and there. Shining Force is badass. No doubt about it.

Sega Genesis had an older and trendier demographic that favored more skill based games with high replayability and low time investment. It also had a more diverse audience playing a larger breadth of titles (resulting in far more innovative games per release than the SNES). SNES played to its little boy strengths by offering cuddly rpgs and adventure titles that were incredibly popular with their audience.

Protip: SNES actually loses the RPG battle pretty handily, it's just that Gen RPGs are far less popular. Anyway, even if I give you RPGs, the Genny still reigns supreme as a matter of total catalogue.

Machocruz

Arcane
Alot of Genesis games and music got ignored by the game rags back in the day, while they were busy rubbing their dicks over SF2, Super Metroid, and DKC. Even ya'll ain't up on this Gauntlet 4 shit.

And a lot of people don't know that it had the best Contra game ever made. Which, by extention, makes it quite possibly the best run and gun game ever made. Read 'em and weep, Contra 3fags

Only Metal Slug 2 and 3 are fucking with that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Alot of Genesis games and music got ignored by the game rags back in the day, while they were busy rubbing their dicks over SF2, Super Metroid, and DKC. Even ya'll ain't up on this Gauntlet 4 shit.
I just pulled those examples off the top of my head, I'm sure there's other gud stuff I missed too.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Neo Geo was fucking cool. It was also expensive, unpopular, and lacked the extensive game library of the genesis.

Of course, SNK wanted to make a console faithful to the arcades systems, but that was the problem, expensive and poor catalog in terms of quantity. But was awesome.

Anyway, I played a lot the gauntlet port of master system in my childhood, my record was like 110 levels.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I keep hearing all of this talk about Genesis having different types of games that the SNES didn't have that were geared towards a trendier/older demographic. I don't see that. I look at their library and all I see are a couple of exclusives that are worth playing and a bunch of mediocre ports. Start throwing down some proof of these obscure gems. As far as skill based games go, I believe the SNES represents that fairly well. Sure, some of the games (most) are kiddie if you will, but that isn't true in all cases. I think Shadowrun is unmatched. You won't see a game like that on Genesis. The way it played was totally unique. Super Castlevania 4 is still one of the best, if not the best level based Castlevania games. I'm honestly curious what games any of you are claiming tops some of Nintendo's exclusives because I would like to play them.

Machocruz

Arcane
I never understood the love for Sonic 2's soundtrack over the first's, which is still the best music in the series imo. The first Sonic's sound like melodies to real songs, like you'd hear from Stevie Wonder or some shit (Springyard and Starlight Zones comes to mind), while 2 just sounded like regular vidya music to me. Good vidya music, but less charm and harmony than the first (sorry, I don't know many music terms). Something discordant about some of them too.

And while Super Castlevania's OST gets the praise it deserves, Bloodlines continues to be mostly overlooked.

Atmospheric as fuck.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Bloodlines is clearly a worthy contender, but SC4 had the 8 directional whipping. I prefer SC4 because of the controls. Bloodlines is probably my third favorite Castlevania though so it's pretty fucking close. It was darker than SC4 for sure.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I keep hearing all of this talk about Genesis having different types of games that the SNES didn't have that were geared towards a trendier/older demographic. I don't see that. I look at their library and all I see are a couple of exclusives that are worth playing and a bunch of mediocre ports. Start throwing down some proof of these obscure gems. As far as skill based games go, I believe the SNES represents that fairly well. Sure, some of the games (most) are kiddie if you will, but that isn't true in all cases. I think Shadowrun is unmatched. You won't see a game like that on Genesis. The way it played was totally unique. Super Castlevania 4 is still one of the best, if not the best level based Castlevania games. I'm honestly curious what games any of you are claiming tops some of Nintendo's exclusives because I would like to play them.
Well I dunno bout that, all I know is that the soundchip results in cooler music.

Maybe people mean all the spaceship shooters? That's the "old man" genre I can think of.

Keldryn

Arcane
Retro Studios is not just "some guys" -- it is a fully owned subsidiary of Nintendo and has been since 2000. It was founded in 1998 by an ex-Nintendo guy for the purpose of developing games exclusively for Nintendo platforms. They are in no way a 3rd party.

The SNES music chip was fantastic and was capable of sounding far better than what the Genesis could produce. That isn't to say that there weren't better compositions on many Genesis titles, but the SNES was able to get a lot closer to sounding like real instruments. A Roland MT-32 was superior to an AdLib card, but that doesn't mean there weren't bland MT-32 compositions and kick-ass AdLib ones.

I sold my NES to buy a Genesis and later bought both a SNES and a Sega-CD. I gotta give the edge to the SNES overall. Genesis was better for sports games and arcade ports, but neither of those genres held much appeal for me. Both were great systems though; I still have the SNES and wish I hadn't sold the Genesis.

Oh and I bought a 32x for cheap when Blockbuster cleared out their rental units. What a piece of shit. Star Wars Arcade: looks like X-wing and plays like Rebel Assault. I'd rather own a Virtual Boy. Or an Atari Jaguar (Do The Math!!!)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

I'm also generally disturbed when people cite the Genesis as having better RPGs. I found all Phantasy Stars except 4 to be boring and Shining Force similarly, and the latter is certainly not skill based, especially compared to Nintendo's equivalent of it (Though it wasn't that good at that point in time too).

Beyond that, what is there? Shadowrun? That was alright, certainly a better RPG than the SNES one, but nothing spectacular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom