Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Higher Animal

Arcane
I keep hearing all of this talk about Genesis having different types of games that the SNES didn't have that were geared towards a trendier/older demographic. I don't see that. I look at their library and all I see are a couple of exclusives that are worth playing and a bunch of mediocre ports. Start throwing down some proof of these obscure gems. As far as skill based games go, I believe the SNES represents that fairly well. Sure, some of the games (most) are kiddie if you will, but that isn't true in all cases. I think Shadowrun is unmatched. You won't see a game like that on Genesis. The way it played was totally unique. Super Castlevania 4 is still one of the best, if not the best level based Castlevania games. I'm honestly curious what games any of you are claiming tops some of Nintendo's exclusives because I would like to play them.

Gain Ground
Alien Soldier
Technoclash
General Chaos
Target Earth
Tinhead
Sub-Terrania
Final Zone
Skeleton Krew
Mercs
Comix Zone
Warrior of Rome 2
Ranger X

Get started, bub. There are hundreds more. Personally, with the exception of Chaos, none of these games would be in my Genesis top 20.

I'm also generally disturbed when people cite the Genesis as having better RPGs. I found all Phantasy Stars except 4 to be boring and Shining Force similarly, and the latter is certainly not skill based, especially compared to Nintendo's equivalent of it (Though it wasn't that good at that point in time too).

Beyond that, what is there? Shadowrun? That was alright, certainly a better RPG than the SNES one, but nothing spectacular.

I usually give the Nintendo kiddies the RPG genre because most Genesis RPGs are vastly underrated and SNES rpgs are vastly overrated. Trying to explain to people why Secret of Mana and FFVI aren't the bees knees usually ends up in Nintendon't tears.

Shining Force 1 was indeed a direct copy of the First Fire Emblem games with a superior storyline (which didn't crossover to the west until years later on different platforms) but Shining Force 2 was a vastly improved sequel and better than any Fire Emblem game. Anyway, there were several tactically complex SRPGs on the Genesis like Warsong (Langrisser), Master of Monsters, and Gemfire (non-exclusive) but the best SRPG ever is arguably Dark Wizard for the SCD. Turn based, Real Time, and Role Playing strategy games were basically launched with the Genesis. Easy victory for Sega.

The question of which platform had better RPGs is not really the right question to ask. The question is what kinds of RPGs did the Genesis have versus the SNES. The Genesis had MMOs, open world games, action-adventure RPGs, Strategy RPGs and western style dungeon crawlers. The SNES had a greater selection of JRPGs.

Here's a list of Genesis RPGs:

Landstalker
Super Hydlide
Gauntlet IV
Beyond oasis
Shining in the Darkness
Starflight
Rings of Power
Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Technoclash

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alright, I still think Genesis fans are degenerate subhumans who are probably under custody of the state, but I just saw a list of a lot of RPGS I've never had experience with so I'm curious.

Which of the list would you recommend? Not Shining in Darkness, I've played it.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Alright, I still think Genesis fans are degenerate subhumans who are probably under custody of the state, but I just saw a list of a lot of RPGS I've never had experience with so I'm curious.

Which of the list would you recommend? Not Shining in Darkness, I've played it.

I'd recommend all. Start with Warriors of the Eternal Sun or Beyond Oasis.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty fascinating to see an age-old argument come back into fruition. It's also useful for me since the Genesis emulator (Picodrive) works way better on the PSP than the SNES one.
The question of which platform had better RPGs is not really the right question to ask. The question is what kinds of RPGs did the Genesis have versus the SNES. The Genesis had MMOs, open world games, action-adventure RPGs, Strategy RPGs and western style dungeon crawlers. The SNES had a greater selection of JRPGs.

Wuh, how? I can only guess it used something akin to the Satellaview?

Also, speaking of Warsong, I procured a Windows 98 (I think) remake of Langrisser 1 with an English patch. I haven't used it since it required a bit of fiddling but for anyone who could somehow mount that file to the D: drive it's yours. The download link, that is.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I hadn't heard of quite a few of those. That's actually pretty exciting. Gives me more RPG's to add to my backlog. I still think the sound fucking sucks, but it does have it's charms.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Pretty fascinating to see an age-old argument come back into fruition. It's also useful for me since the Genesis emulator (Picodrive) works way better on the PSP than the SNES one.

Wuh, how? I can only guess it used something akin to the Satellaview?

Also, speaking of Warsong, I procured a Windows 98 (I think) remake of Langrisser 1 with an English patch. I haven't used it since it required a bit of fiddling but for anyone who could somehow mount that file to the D: drive it's yours. The download link, that is.

I was being slightly cheeky with the MMO comment. Hi-Definition Graphics series 1 Genesis came with an internet ready connection slot. In Japan, the Meganet series hosted early dial-up competitive and cooperative play. Fatal Labyrinth was a dungeon crawling RPG with novel enemy placements per level. This was arguably the first MMORPG, though it was only released in the west in single player form. I also think that Gauntlet IV's amazing 4p co-op mode is arguably an MMO in spirit, even if it doesn't have the actual online connection.

Machocruz

Arcane
Genesis vs. SNES is a draw to me. I owned the former, but played a lot of the latter through friends. But I would have been content with either one. Super Metroid and Mega Man X were the only games I felt I missed out on at the time. Mario 3 is the last word in Mario games afaic, so World was no biggie. Also had a Gameboy at the time, which sated any desire I had for Nintendo games.

Btw, Genesis was quite a good platform for western games. Road Rash 1 and 2, Starflight, Star Control, Shadowrun, Dune 2, the EA sports titles.

Siveon

Bot
Fair enough. Surprisingly it did indeed predate Neverwinter Nights by a year or less. Though, if I had to argue, it was the first ORPG. But 'Massively Multiplayer' is a loaded term (especially with all the instancing these days).

Mega Drive also has the best-looking version of Might and Magic 2.

That is true. I believe the NES also arguably has the best looking version of Might and Magic 1. Pretty neat. I really like stuff like this (again, since DOS emulation on hacked handhelds blow) to discover years later. I'm actually on Level 5 of Target Earth right now - which is a brutally hard intro to the Assault Suits series. Them mechs tho

:love:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Mega Drive also has the best-looking version of Might and Magic 2.

Better than the PC98 one?

448113-might-and-magic-ii-gates-to-another-world-pc-98-screenshot.gif

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BEST LOOKING OF STARFLIGHT BY FAR TOO BROS

GENESIS WAS FAR BETTER FO

KINGS BOUNTY WASZ BAD EITHERR RPGS

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dafuq, why did they rename Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Especially to something so stupid. At least the old name had brand recognition.

Dafuq, why did they rename Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem? Especially to something so stupid. At least the old name had brand recognition.
That because everyone was pissed that it was Persona: Fire Emblem edition, I mean seriously how the mother fucking hell did they think Shin Megami Tensei = Persona, because they're the most popular? There are other games Persona in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, like those action two games in 1900 japan where you play as a cop who fights demons. If they just said it was a Persona x Fire Emblem, the reaction would of been less harsh.

dunno lah

Arcane
I never understood the love for Sonic 2's soundtrack over the first's, which is still the best music in the series imo. The first Sonic's sound like melodies to real songs, like you'd hear from Stevie Wonder or some shit (Springyard and Starlight Zones comes to mind), while 2 just sounded like regular vidya music to me. Good vidya music, but less charm and harmony than the first (sorry, I don't know many music terms). Something discordant about some of them too.

And while Super Castlevania's OST gets the praise it deserves, Bloodlines continues to be mostly overlooked.

Atmospheric as fuck.

Not Stevie, but Bobby.

Siveon

Bot
That because everyone was pissed that it was Persona: Fire Emblem edition, I mean seriously how the mother fucking hell did they think Shin Megami Tensei = Persona, because they're the most popular? There are other games Persona in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, like those action two games in 1900 japan where you play as a cop who fights demons. If they just said it was a Persona x Fire Emblem, the reaction would of been less harsh.

Huh? I thought they said they changed the name to #FE midway through development. Didn't the first new trailer introduce it as such? Just as well, didn't most of the backlash come from the West (although there was also some in Japan - enough for them to try and explain themselves quickly after the trailer was released).

I'm not really sold on the game itself, but I could've sworn those series of events happened differently.

Eh, I'm just remembering how it went down on 8chan /v/, and I didn't really keep tabs on it as I was immediately loss interest when I saw that trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom