Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

[deleted]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by The Game Analists, Nov 16, 2016.

1. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Wasn't Skyrim considered a slight uptick compared to Oblivion already (perks etc.)?

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Slight isn't good enough when you're sick of the trend Oblivion set. Also Fallout 3 coming out in 2009 kept the hate alive towards them in the meanwhile until Skyrims release. FONV was salt in the wound and just reminded people of what good could be done even with something as terrible as gamebryo if Bethesda would actually try.

After I tried Skyrim I knew things weren't going to change, and at best they'd just remain slightly even again and FO4 confirmed that for me.

^ Top  
  3. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They'll revert from Fallout 4 shitty dialogue to Skyrim shitty dialogue and that's about it.

I'm not sure they'll ever do dialogue right, just because the bar that Dishonoured and others set is the measure for AAA action RPGs, short lines, not much text to read on TV screens, and not very complex character building systems. God knows their gameplay isn't going to change, their mechanics were not awful in Fallout just all the systems behind those mechanics, and I expect them to follow the ARPG path in Elder Scrolls 6 or whatever mystical not Elder Scrolls project they have in the works.

^ Top  
  4. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    That is because Bethesda's writing quality is unchanged from its level of shittiness for at least a decade.

People like the whitewashing that of Bethesda, saying that is because they dont care for the writings.

EXCUSE ME! Bethesda do care about writing, it's just their direction is unhanged shittiness. It's certainly worth noting is quest designs and coding may change in Bethesda, but the stench of writing is not. THAT take dedication.

I said it before and I say it again: There's a honcho in Bethesda care very much about writing and he's got great control over that aspect. As long as the guy exercise his control, shitty Bethesda writing will remain shitty.
    If you want great Beth game, find that guy and kick him out.

^ Top  
  5. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    It's starting to remind me of Abram's movies. I wonder if the quality of the movie writing under his helm will go from lazy to deliberately awful.

^ Top  
  6. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Fucking time travellers, man. Where's Rip Hunter when you need him? Please send this person back to the early 2000s where he came from.

Also, good writing is not long writing. They could be writing good, short dialogue. But they don't. Because they don't want to.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Standard Konsensus seems to be that e.g. the perk system brought at least some c&c to the table.

^ Top  
  8. Kahr Guest

Kahr
    No. No. And they were always full of shit. Gothics show how it's done. End of story. Go home everyone now.

^ Top  
  9. Xathrodox86 Arbiter

Xathrodox86
    Bethesda should just concentrate on making games like Dishonored and new Wolfenstein. They're great and interesting. Their RPG's however are a load of crap. Seriously, they've fucked up the Fallout series. How do you get away with that?

^ Top  
  10. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    On a golden limo filled with cash from retards who bought their games?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Bethesa didn't make those games, which is why they aren't pure garbage.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Xathrodox86 Arbiter

Xathrodox86
    Good one. They really have no shame.

Well, that explains it then. Good thing too, since they're both very, very decent.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.