Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Demikids / other obscure SMT's

I started with P:Revelations (US Persona 1 for PSX) but ASAP switched to PSP version (I played it after excellent PSP port of Innocent Sin and couldn't stand lack of comfortable features). There's no point in playing PSX version of either P1 and P2:IS.

So now is Kyuuyki Megami Tensei and it starts BRUTAL.

zwanzig_zwoelf

No point if you love to play with butchered music, you mean.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Kyuuyaku is pretty boring. The second game is better, at least in the first half, but once you get to Makai it too becomes shit.

Majin II is majestic. I should get around to finishing it sometime.

Damn you guyz u didn't mention that Majin Tensei II is actually partailly translated (all menus etc.), if it does not put such emphasis on plot/dialogues as Devil Survivor or has just as minimalistic plot as every other early SMT game I'll definately give it a go. Why there're so little of SRPGs in SMT franchise I don't even.

zwanzig_zwoelf

IIRC I told you that multiple times but you didn't listen.
There is also a partial translation of original Majin Tensei, and iirc all menus in Ronde are also in English.

I hadn't time to play so I watched original NES MT1/2 walktrough... so MT1 is all about:

reach the lowest part of boring dungeons with repetitive scenery, kill Loki/Seth/Lucifer, the end.

What a letdown :/ Did Kyuuyaku remake introduce more than just a graphical upgrade?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
How would you describe its difficulty after finishing it? I've killed 2 first bosses so far and they're suprisingly hard, then there're many random encounters that can wipe out whole party in 2 turns :/
Dunno if you're talking about 1 or 2, but either way the answer is the same: the early game is somewhat hard, but once you're past the first third of the game it degenerates into a brainless chore. I think I used autofight for 90% of the battles, including some boss fights in 2.

I mean MT1. Even with most powerful demons available my party only scratched these bosses but they can hit like a truck. So far it's too grindy for a SMT game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I know only MT1 and I think it was short enough not to ever become a monotonous safe walk. You never have enough MAG to use the team you would want to use, sometimes you don't follow the "natural" path (and if you meet a boss you will probably die), there are a very few "secret" hard area (I don't remember if they were mandatory) and the bosses are not ridiculously easy.

it's too grindy for a SMT game.
Yup, since the corridors are mostly void and the main interest of dungeons is about recruiting, fusioning monsters and fighting bosses and not about the dungeon design, the dungeons could probably be smaller and the level-upping faster. I don't think it's so horrible but I like to say that I am very tolerant with filler content.

To make a break from my Wiz6-Wiz7-Wiz8 run I finally finished Kyuuyaku 1.

It's pretty hard... until you kill Medusa, after then game became less linear, you gain control of Aerial City that allows player to visit every remaining dungeon so first thing I've done was to buy endgame equipment and grind a little with smaller groups of endgame demons in order to never have to grind again - that way I overlevelled in no time and game became a cakewalk, there wasn't need to summon any demons until final boss.

Plot is non-existens so don't worry about spoilers here - Lucifer captured Izanami so player has to free Izanami and kill Lucifer. That's fucking all.

It's not a bad game, just little too primitive and boring but gives yet another opportunity to experience avesum setting of SMT. And music is top notch, especially Infini Palace theme.

Now I'll try KMT2 and after watching whole playthrough of original famicom version, I'm expecting game that is around SMT1/2 level of quality.

So far (Pazuzu is dead) I like KMT2 as much as SMT1/2 but have one problem with swords - I cannot buy'em anywhere, they appear only as very rare drops in random encounters, will there be a possibility to buy them somewhere in the future? Strongest ones I have are shitty bronze swords that are almost completely useless comparing to newest gunz.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
You don't ever get to buy swords, but you're guaranteed to get a few upgrades over the course of the game. It seems you had missed the first one.
In Shibuya (I think, it's been a while) there's a statue. Walk around it, counter-clockwise. You'll be teleported to a small island where you can get a demon and a good sword.
Also, some demons in the late game have pretty good chances to drop swords. And yes the soundtrack in MT1 was awesome:greatjob: (MT2's wasn't nearly as good)

Thx but since I have reached hell (abyss?) and pumped up luck a bit there were ton of swords, I ended up with Lucifer's Sword for MC and Belphegor's Vajira for my witch.

After finishing it I realized that SMT2 was just a rip off of original MT2. MT1 was weakest SMT I'ver played saved for Persona 3 but MT2 should be considered a must for every MegaTenist.

...and now the only available geam that left is Demikids :/

I just discover this shit:

latest
308h0f5.png

Any ideas how to emulate dat Gree... thing?

Last edited:
To the bros who completed Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis - I'm in chapters 20+ and game is piss easy, I maxed strenght of MC (he leveled extremely fast, until 50th level there was one level up for each win battle), didn't bother to pump other characters and didn't have to summon any demon, wtf? How long is Majin II and shall difficulty increase at some point? So far, there's no walkthrough available anywhere but I'm curious of this geam's lenght.

Apart from story, shit is perfectly playable in wapanese, only stuff u need is an item translation guide:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/581303-majin-tensei-ii-spiral-nemesis/faqs/24189

I finally beat Majin Tensei II. How's quality of it?

Gameplay-wise it can be compared to Devil Survivor 1 and 2... but the differences between them are the same as between SMT1/2 and Nocturne/SJ - MJII is unbalanced and broken as hell. Offensive magic is pretty useless, you rely mostly on physical hitters so made at least two of them a keep rest in role of healers - heroine as magical one and the others as muscle drink spammmers.

I can't say much about negotiating/summoning/fusing demons coz there wasn't need to that anyway and I hate those early SMT magnetite bullshit.

Difficulty-wise is second easiest MegaTen game second to Innocent Sin. With max strenght characters of pretty high agility I was able to take down almost all bosses in one turn (two hits), including such high level behemoths like Belzebub (trivia: he's a chick here) or satan! Only villains that could survive more then one turn was Michael and Lucifer. I DeSu every boss was a threat, in Majin Tensei II main concern is to annihilate his guards, then he became a cakewalk as he's no more than regular enemy with a little bit more HP and uniqe skills.

Only three things can be considered as PITA - 'artillery' demon units like Niddhogg, Fafnir or Raja Naga that have extremely high attack range and can obliterate any character in 1-2 hits (unless they miss ofkoz) but once you get near them, they're becoming defensless. Second thing is chapter 22? 23? in which you have to protect your base, your units are far from it and there is demon respawning point nearby so unless you have 30 agility you'll fail to reach your own base before demon that spawns after 2nd turn. At last, game is over with death of any human character, not only MC so no revival beads here.

There are one grinding place for each territory - there is a summoner that sends against u some demons and once you killed them, your'e trapped in the map since summoner is unreachable so only way to exit is to escape. There's penalty for grinding escaping, u loose half of your macca unless u run via smoke screen item but who cares - u can reach 999999 capacity limit of macca in a single story scenario.

Overall is a nice game but apart from artstyle, it's inferior to DeSu in every way and shares most of early MegaTens' flaws.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom