Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demons Age by Bigmoon Studios - turn-based RPG "highly inspired" by Chaos Chronicles

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
looks a bit like ToEE once u zoom out too

dumbuglyorc

Educated
HOw I can get the game? Seems interesting and I wanna try it.

For PS4 there are copies on both Amazon and Ebay. For PC piracy is the only way.

Oh, and from what I've read, the PS4 version seems to have some QoL improvements over the outdated PC version.

Last edited:

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Shitttttttttttt, I think there's level scaling. So, main char hit lvl 6 and suddenly all enemies are lvl 6 as well and can no longer be feared.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
power fantasies

Only because I like power fantasy, doesn't mean that I only like power fantasy. In fact, some games takes power fantasies too far, see PF:WoTR. I like high level stuff but in AD&D if even casters have regularly negative AC and enemies with negative saves are common, you took high level too far, if demon lords and princes of hell are regular enemies , you also took high level ridiculous too far.

-------------

Any way to get it legit? Like buying a key?

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Level scaling is cancer.

Does look like it, but plays more like a game from the 80s or early 90s.

You mean, it is that good?
No. Just mechanically plays similar.

Any way to get it legit? Like buying a key?

Nope. Because of this:

Didn't this game get DMCA'd by the Chaos Chronicles guys? Was that ever cleared up?

They were the Realms Beyond guys at that point.

Last edited:

dumbuglyorc

Educated
I'm savescumming all day long like a motherfucker. Money is tight and can't afford to lose a single guy anymore. Mercs at the inns scale to the main char's level same as all critters, and while there are no means to procure more money, the merc prices go up with their level. Should have had a more powergaming mindset and savescummed since the start, recruited a full party as early as possible, and begun buying better gear only after. I'm entertaining the thought of restarting because of this, but I'm still hanging in there.

The world is not as open as it looked, after all. A bridge leading to the bottom half of the map is blocked by a giant turd, and there are dungeons that cannot be entered out of sequence, which is a huge bummer. Aside from all that, there is nothing much on the map. A handful of inns and some set piece quest battles. Random encounters can be grinded for exp, but not for gold, which causes problems as mentioned above.

Also, the level scaling is huge cancer. Enemies are bloated sacks of hp, and I think their saving throws keep getting boosted as well, so most spells have basically become obsolete. The current go-to set of spells are Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength and Stinking Cloud.

Rangers are able to Cure Light Wounds now.

Demons-Age-20220207201312.jpg

Stinking Cloud is the new replacement Fear.

Demons-Age-20220207152458.jpg

There are some rad scorpions in this game.

Demons-Age-20220207184143.jpg

One of the inns was dealing the more premiere weapons.

Demons-Age-20220207191908.jpg

Necrogoblicon :lol: that's just pure genius!

Demons-Age-20220207184352.jpg

Me and muh people are so oppressed in this cruel world!

Demons-Age-20220208081422.jpg

I confess, I'm like this.

power fantasies

Only because I like power fantasy, doesn't mean that I only like power fantasy.

This game is about far from a power fantasy as you can get. You basically play a party of low level turds with filth stiffened rags for armor and rusty knives and rotted planks for weapons.

New monsters had appeared on a floor I had previously cleared. At first I thought it was respawning, which I hate, but it was just one, different mob... Don't know what to make of it.

What happened here, was I had taken on some quest, which spawned this mob. Taking on quests makes stuff mystically appear in places where they were not before.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Looks like we dodged a bullet with Chaos Realms Beyond Chronicles, because I am willing to bet my arm and leg that the end product would be pretty much the same.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Looks like we dodged a bullet with Chaos Realms Beyond Chronicles, because I am willing to bet my arm and leg that the end product would be pretty much the same.

A bullet of pure unadulterated, highly concentrated fun. Yes, we dodged that bullet. Good for us.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know. Character creations and options, and some more meat on the bones (items, better encounter design), can change the end result a lot.
We'll never know anyway.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
This has taken a nosedive into the absurdly easy for a change. There hasn't been anything even remotely challenging for a while now. I'll soon be rolling in dough again.

Demons-Age-20220208140432.jpg

Ironically the first even potentially threatening mages surface at such a time. These skeleton mages can cast some sort of Hold Person twice, which lasts for, like, a million rounds. Too bad they are paired with some completely useless and brittle trash undead of no concern. Just prolongs the mopping up a bit.

Demons-Age-20220208143106.jpg

Unlike anything else, Fireball is actually powerful! Great for barbecuing!

Demons-Age-20220208125530.jpg

Just like Abu Antar said. These things happen.

Demons-Age-20220208104758.jpg

Welcome to Moragon, y'all.

mondblut

Arcane
I don't know. Character creations and options, and some more meat on the bones (items, better encounter design), can change the end result a lot.
We'll never know anyway.

Well, isn't this game basically whatever CC milestone hobgob has last delivered to the publisher, with about 3 months of development supposedly left? This doesn't really look like something 3 months of work could fix...

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Mages are gods now. Fireball is an instant win button. 90% of battles are won without taking a scratch.

So, power fantasy achieved, after all.

There is some neat synergy in the character development design. Like, rangers learning to Cat's Grace themselves at the same time as mages learn fireballs. Too bad there's not much to do with it at this point. There are other interesting design decisions throughout the game though, like how enemy archers have healing spells, that was actually pretty cool, and happened back when it still mattered.

What Abu Antar said about item upgrades not existing is just not true. I've played enough now to say with confidence that there's been a steady trickle of better equipment since the start, and now, in the siege camp, the ogre caves and the orc dungeon, it seems there's better gear to be found in every chest, barrel and desiccated corpse. I feel like I'm swapping my shit several times between each fight.

Demons-Age-20220209092913.jpg

Listen to the smart ogre, because your last save was likely corrupted.

Demons-Age-20220208161928.jpg

The age of demons? What the fuck is he talking about?

Demons-Age-20220209073654.jpg

A little gift for the princess.

Demons-Age-20220209081729.jpg

Hooray! I'm not a bum anymore!

Demons-Age-20220209082222.jpg

Pretty horsey.

Demons-Age-20220209083904.jpg

Fire walk with me. The roof is on fire. We don't need no water. Let the motherfucker burn. Burn motherfucker, burn.

Demons-Age-20220209092231.jpg

Basically gamebreaking, but still satisfying to use.

Demons-Age-20220209104232.jpg

Every night the heroes set up a camp to get their beauty sleep. Here they are doing it right next to an inn. There's also a bug that causes time to stop moving sometimes, leaving the heroes trapped in their nightmares forever, and forcing the player to reload. Hopefully you have done as the ogre ordered.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Acid arrows are a fun way to dispose of enemy pets. They leave a corroding status, so toss an arrow at a pet, and it will die in a few turns while people are fighting actual targets.

Rangers at level 11 get to strike three times on their full attack, which is pretty brutal.

I have a bunch of new spells. Haste and slow among them. I've not yet had a reason to use any of them.

Enemy placement is often, and especially in random encounters, spaced in such a manner as to inconvenience AoE spells. Also the random encounters are becoming pretty tough. I'm still hopeful for some challenges ahead.

Also, still having tons of fun.

Edit: One bit I like, is how spells can pass through anything, people, pillars, walls. Like, you're in a different room from a bunch of enemies? no problem, just blast a fireball through the wall. I *think* the distance of the spell gets calculated so as if it had to go around the wall, but the casting distance of high level mages is so insane that nothing matters. Everything burns. Thing has a real magic feel to it.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
dumbuglyorc , it sounds like a dream-game for those that like to break a game and go full-on power fantasy. I really like how playing a mage in TES: Arena led to you being a veritable God in the final stages. Do you think going with an all-ranger or all-mage (with fireballs) party is viable throughout this Demons Age?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not in the early stages of the game. You will want one character that absorbs hits.

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Enemy hp has bloated to a point where they generally survive several fb blasts. Still, no reason to do anything but cast them fbs and have hitters hack at 'em.

There was one boss fight against a wizard who threw fireballs as well. The fight could have been interesting even as it is, if only the AI wouldn't have been off the wall retarded. I mean, my guys were basically packed into a tight blob, and the genius throws his fireball so that it only hits my fighter. Well, it made enough damage that I had to use my rangers to heal the wounded dude, thus feeding them to his next fireball as well. And then the wizard was dead. His entourage posed no threat.

In a shocking plot twist
the sewer loving prince turned out to be a traitor in league with the forces of the underworld.

dumbuglyorc , it sounds like a dream-game for those that like to break a game and go full-on power fantasy. I really like how playing a mage in TES: Arena led to you being a veritable God in the final stages. Do you think going with an all-ranger or all-mage (with fireballs) party is viable throughout this Demons Age?

A mixed team consisting only of rangers and wizards would be feasible. Except in the Sewer of Trials you are forced to have the one fighter.

Last edited:

dumbuglyorc

Educated
Enemy hp has bloated through the roof, so doing other things besides throwing fireballs is necessary again. A new tier of spells for weakening the opposition has elegantly appeared at the same time as that has happened, among them an improved Fear as an AoE spell that affects all creatures and lasts a million-billion turns. It's pretty badass. I even sometimes forgo my fireball charges now to Haste my hitters so that they can reach the faraway and sparsely spaced shooters quicker.

Also stumbled upon an overpowered exploit, as if the game wasn't stupid easy enough without it.
Grab any item that provides +2 con (+1 would work too on some characters, I think, but +2 will always do it) and just equip and unequip it a few times. Voila, no more paying for inns, no more looking for pools to bathe in. Free healing after every battle.

Demons-Age-20220211081209.jpg

The princess gave me a romantic offering of mangled corpses right before sending me on a mission to kill the prince. The criminal hobo washed up on the shores of Moragon rises to its throne in ~1 month.

Demons-Age-20220211084610.jpg

I wonder how old these guys are, and how old they would have gotten if I hadn't interrupted them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom