Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls completely playable on PC right now.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I agree that Splinter Cell plots are dull, but I don't agree with you about the gameplay at all. Chaos Theory was about as good as stealth espionage action ever got. And MGS3 is peak Metal Gear IMO. But hey we all have our crazy opinions. :o

mogwaimon

Magister
I always preferred MGS over Splinter Cell. It gave me more freedom and opportunity for creative gameplay. I'd even rather replay the disappointment that was MGS4, as little gameplay as it had.

MGS4, a disappointment he says. The most disappointing part of the game was the story and only then because they got rid of best Snake and then went on to make MGS games that weren't MGS games based around Big Boss.

The real disappointment was Peace Walker. Have fun farming gear to fight thirty tank, helicopter, and APC variants...I mean I did it, I'm no wimp but it wasn't muh Metal Gear. I had so much hope for Phantom Pain based off of Ground Zeroes too but after 10 hours in Phantom Pain I just got bored with it. I still need to go back and finish it so I can bitch about the unfinished ending like everyone else but I just don't think that the Peace Walker in and out mission structure fits the classic Metal Gear Solid "You're on your own in enemy territory so go kill a Metal Gear and fight an exotic combat unit full of unique bosses" mission structure.

I'm still salty they never brought the HD collection, MGS4, or MGS1 to Steam. By all accounts GZ and Phantom Pain were great successes on PC, would have been nice to get a native port.

Anyways, back on topic with RPCS3....anyone try that PS3 Wizardry game on it? Or any other dungeon crawler like Class of Heroes 2G? I don't have a PS3 right now because my old one was starting to have seriously long loading times even if I switched out the HDD so I retired it until I could get a Slim, so I can't just go out and pick it up to try on a real console.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I always preferred MGS over Splinter Cell. It gave me more freedom and opportunity for creative gameplay. I'd even rather replay the disappointment that was MGS4, as little gameplay as it had.

MGS4, a disappointment he says. The most disappointing part of the game was the story and only then because they got rid of best Snake and then went on to make MGS games that weren't MGS games based around Big Boss.

The real disappointment was Peace Walker. Have fun farming gear to fight thirty tank, helicopter, and APC variants...I mean I did it, I'm no wimp but it wasn't muh Metal Gear. I had so much hope for Phantom Pain based off of Ground Zeroes too but after 10 hours in Phantom Pain I just got bored with it. I still need to go back and finish it so I can bitch about the unfinished ending like everyone else but I just don't think that the Peace Walker in and out mission structure fits the classic Metal Gear Solid "You're on your own in enemy territory so go kill a Metal Gear and fight an exotic combat unit full of unique bosses" mission structure.

I'm still salty they never brought the HD collection, MGS4, or MGS1 to Steam. By all accounts GZ and Phantom Pain were great successes on PC, would have been nice to get a native port.

Anyways, back on topic with RPCS3....anyone try that PS3 Wizardry game on it? Or any other dungeon crawler like Class of Heroes 2G? I don't have a PS3 right now because my old one was starting to have seriously long loading times even if I switched out the HDD so I retired it until I could get a Slim, so I can't just go out and pick it up to try on a real console.
Peace Walker doesn't make MGS4 any less a disappointment. But yes, Peace Walker was worse. MGSV was a letdown too. I almost didn't even finish it. I've lost a lot of respect for Kojima over the years.

Tactical Espionage Operations < Tactical Espionage Action

mogwaimon

Magister

Peace Walker doesn't make MGS4 any less a disappointment. But yes, Peace Walker was worse. MGSV was a letdown too. I almost didn't even finish it. I've lost a lot of respect for Kojima over the years.

From what I understand, much of the MGS magic wasn't actually Kojima, but one of his main writers who left sometime around MGS3, IIRC. Which is why you see the series start to decline around MGS4. Which I maintain was pretty good but I'm emotionally biased because it was Solid Snake's send-off and also I had some good times in MGO2 with my buddy so there was that too. Guess it was another Keiji Inafune type situation....well, actually more like George Lucas who can create gold with editors involved as opposed to when he had complete creative control with the prequel trilogy.

You know what's weird is that out of all the recent Metal Gear games the best one was Rising? I thought I was alone in thinking it was a great game but people still talk about it rather fondly to this day. Who knew Raiden would spawn a good solo game?

Ezekiel

Arcane

From what I understand, much of the MGS magic wasn't actually Kojima, but one of his main writers who left sometime around MGS3, IIRC. Which is why you see the series start to decline around MGS4. Which I maintain was pretty good but I'm emotionally biased because it was Solid Snake's send-off and also I had some good times in MGO2 with my buddy so there was that too. Guess it was another Keiji Inafune type situation....well, actually more like George Lucas who can create gold with editors involved as opposed to when he had complete creative control with the prequel trilogy.

You know what's weird is that out of all the recent Metal Gear games the best one was Rising? I thought I was alone in thinking it was a great game but people still talk about it rather fondly to this day. Who knew Raiden would spawn a good solo game?
I didn't like Metal Gear Rising. Yeah, I know the quality went down tremendously after Tomokazu Fukushima left, but the fun gameplay always seemed like it was mostly thanks to Kojima's direction. I kind of enjoyed MGSV, but the move towards "Tactical Espionage Operations" really hurt the series. The limitations of the PS2 were probably beneficial to the design of MGS2 and 3. Kojima said he always wanted Metal Gear to be open world, but I'm not sure that's actually good for a stealth game, especially one that's so story-driven.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First I was elated, I was actually planning to buy PS4 and PS3 this year, basically for DS and Bloodborne.

But then I read the quickstart guide and it looks like a chore to set up. Please tell me I don't need to spend half a day setting this shit up.

Also, I don't suppose I'd be able to play online like that? (yeah that was a dumb question).

P.S. Also where the fuck do I download the game from? All I can see are some unholy add riden shady shitpages.
Jesus. I think imma go for that PS3 after all. :negative:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
First I was elated, I was actually planning to buy PS4 and PS3 this year, basically for DS and Bloodborne.

But then I read the quickstart guide and it looks like a chore to set up. Please tell me I don't need to spend half a day setting this shit up.

Also, I don't suppose I'd be able to play online like that? (yeah that was a dumb question).

P.S. Also where the fuck do I download the game from? All I can see are some unholy add riden shady shitpages.

Just download RCPS3 fire it up and you are ready to go. Such pain...
As for DS you can dump it yourself or you can swim to pirate bay.

mogwaimon

Magister

Just download RCPS3 fire it up and you are ready to go. Such pain...
As for DS you can dump it yourself or you can swim to pirate bay.

They do make it rather easy to acquire a firmware image to use with the system; it's not like FDS, GBA, or Sega CD emulation or whatever where you have to dig around the net for a BIOS image. There's a site out there that has dumps of most PSN store packages, I'm pretty sure DeS would be there. Plus Scott Pilgrim vs The World, was worried that was going to be lost to time after it was delisted from PSN, even though I still owned the game legit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Went through all the shit (plus setting up K&M), doesn't work for me (i5 CPU, 16 GB RAM). There's the intro and while the sound is okay-ish it still crackles a little bit. But a) I can't skip the intro and b) afterwards nothing loads, just black screen. Fuck this gay earth.

Miyazaki you sonofabitch, noona cares you're burnt out on Souls games and don't give a shit anymore, we want this! Get up your lazy ass from that Armored Core or whatever retarded game you're making now and have some people cobble up a proper DeS remake, or at least a remaster.

Perkel

Arcane
Went through all the shit (plus setting up K&M), doesn't work for me (i5 CPU, 16 GB RAM). There's the intro and while the sound is okay-ish it still crackles a little bit. But a) I can't skip the intro and b) afterwards nothing loads, just black screen. Fuck this gay earth.

Miyazaki you sonofabitch, noona cares you're burnt out on Souls games and don't give a shit anymore, we want this! Get up your lazy ass from that Armored Core or whatever retarded game you're making now and have some people cobble up a proper DeS remake, or at least a remaster.

That is weird. Intro is a bit laggy for everyone but you can indeed skip intro. Do you have GPU ? Most of emulators don't support Integrated GPUs.

Also choose Vulcan from graphical settings (or OpenGL if that doesn't work for you)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's your GPU though?

That is weird. Intro is a bit laggy for everyone but you can indeed skip intro. Do you have GPU ?

I have RX 480 so that shouldn't be the problem.

Too late for trying anything else at any rate, in a fit of rage and disappointment I've flushed everything into the toilet already. Fuck emulators anyway, imma buy a used PS3. I've been holding off until now only because I've been burnt out with Souls games lately but as soon as that itch starts tingling again it's showtime.

Grimlorn

Arcane
How does world tendency work with Demon's Souls emulated? Can you still get the world pure white and then pure black afterward?

Gave my PS3 and games away so would have to emulate to play it again. Was thinking it would be nice to replay after DS3.

mogwaimon

Magister
What's your GPU though?

That is weird. Intro is a bit laggy for everyone but you can indeed skip intro. Do you have GPU ?

I have RX 480 so that shouldn't be the problem.

Too late for trying anything else at any rate, in a fit of rage and disappointment I've flushed everything into the toilet already. Fuck emulators anyway, imma buy a used PS3. I've been holding off until now only because I've been burnt out with Souls games lately but as soon as that itch starts tingling again it's showtime.

PRobably better that way in the long haul, just using the console is easier and gives you access to more games. But if you were trying to use Vulkan you may have had to update your graphics drivers, I don't know specifics about AMD cards but my Geforce 980 required a driver update before Vulkan would work (Of course I was trying to run Parallel core in Retroarch, not RPCS3, but still.)

Could also have been a weird error if something was wrong with the folder structure? The quickstart guide was very specific on where each type of content had to be on the virtual HDD, perhaps there was an error somewhere along the way?

How does world tendency work with Demon's Souls emulated? Can you still get the world pure white and then pure black afterward?

Gave my PS3 and games away so would have to emulate to play it again. Was thinking it would be nice to replay after DS3.

It's been ages since I played but I don't like playing online so I had online features turned off when I went through DeS. As I recall if you're offline your world won't be affected by the global world tendency, you'll have a local world tendency which is affected by which NPCs you kill, which NPCs you save, killing bosses, etc. I think when I did the plat the recommended method was to do the first run working towards pure white world tendency since that was harder to attain than pure black, since to get pure black you just have to be an asshole and kill NPCs but pure white took longer. Anyways, long story and possible misinformation short, you should be able to do pure white/black tendencies in the emulator just fine because they don't actually require PSN to function.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly, whoever came up with the tendency mechanics is either insane or a giant troll (both would fit Miyazaki imo).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly, whoever came up with the tendency mechanics is either insane or a giant troll (both would fit Miyazaki imo).
I liked it. It was a cool idea that I'm sad they dropped from subsequent titles instead of improving.

Eh. Maybe it COULD be a good idea with some huge tweaks but still, it's so goddamn obscure. It would be super obtuse even offline but online, when your tendency is averaged across the network? That's a good joke.

I can see myself playing the game on launch blind and running around the first gate in Boletaria trying to get to that area that's clearly visible, trying and horribly failing for hours, then finally reading how to do it, buying plane tickets to Tokyo and subjecting Miyazaki to a special Hungarian torture for this idiotic puzzle. I just don't believe people actually figured it out when the game came out, they must've read it in a hintbook or something.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated

Did you make sure that under Additonal settings - Write Color Buffers is checked?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Did you make sure that under Additonal settings - Write Color Buffers is checked?

That wasn't mentioned in any of the guides I read. But as I said, I'm done with emulators anyway.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated

That wasn't mentioned in any of the guides I read. But as I said, I'm done with emulators anyway.

I had a post on the first page of this thread (#23) with the settings.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Just wanted to say that if PS3s are dirt-cheap these days, then buying one just for DS (and, if you're desperate to justify the purchase, maybe Red Dead Redemption) seems to me to be a quite sensible option :)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So with the new emulator build I've FINALLY managed to run it. Unfortunately the sound is still jittery and tho the fps is smooth there's frequent area buffering or some such (even with my 16gb RAM).

Watched a few videos, folks are running it smoothly on their i7s. I've got only i5, maybe that's the problem. Too bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom