Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Demon's Souls completely playable on PC right now.

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Perkel, Aug 4, 2017.

1. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Sam isn't a good shot on purpose. It's a stealth game, and as such an aggressive playstyle isn't what the game is optimized for. On MGS in the other hand you can easily complete the whole game by murdering every living thing since Snake is a expert badass at combat, plus he can carry a huge arsenal.
    Chaos Theory is one of the very few stealth games were true ghosting is possible (a quality no MGS has). You might progress trough the levels more linearly in CT than in MGS3, but CT's level design is far better.
    CT plot might not be good, but it's not a focus of the game and it does the job - actually story-wise the character himself, like in Thief, is more of the appeal (and Sam is a more appealing character than rough smoke voice Kurt Russel). Also let's not pretend any MGS as a good plot. They can be entertaining but you find better writing and consistency in a fucking arc of Naruto than you do in MGS.
    And even stealth itself is too easy in MGS as the guards have poor hearing+vision range, the influence of lightning is trivial (and in 3 you can be standing 2 meters away from a guard as long as you have a high amount of camouflage) and lastly the tranq gun pretty much breaks the game.

Now, I have said multiple times I really like MGS 3, 5 and even to some extent Twin Snakes. But the MGS series is clearly more of a action game series with some emphasis on stealth rather than a pure stealth game like the Splinter Cell games are (putting them much closer to Thief than MGS).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Villagkouras Cipher

Villagkouras
    Please, no.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I wanted to try it but to my surprise cannot find an image file for download anywhere.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. mogwaimon Erudite

mogwaimon
    Normally people use PSNStuff or similar utility to just acquire the PSN versions of games and use those for RPCS3, but there is/was an issue with Demon's Souls in particular where the PSN version gets mistaken by the emulator for the BD version and it screws the whole pooch up. Not sure if they fixed it in this new version or not, but it was an issue on 0.5 and maybe 0.6 for sure.

Just google Demon's Souls iso and it'll pop up. The link looks like one of those terrible fake sites, but it actually does work and they have links for GDrive and Mega so the actual download hosts are great. IIRC that's where I got mine a few months back. There are a few other PS3 games which don't show up on PSN (Sengoku Basara 3, Nier Replicant in English) that do show up on that site so it's a decent resource.

EDIT: Oh, and obviously you want to make sure your browser has adblock, uBlock, and/or uMatrix addons if it doesn't already, or something similar. My setup is a bit convoluted and probably has some redundant parts but it protects me pretty well when I have to go to sketchy places like that or some asshole has hidden legitimate links behind a layer or two of dodgy redirects. Still a far cry better than back in the day where you wouldn't even get a legit file at the end of the process, you'd just get some 'password' to open a fake file on the other end of another set of redirects.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    you can try not playing demon's souls. that helps a lot too. :smug:

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, this is how I did. It's a pretty slow way of downloading cus it's all 3rd tier sites with download speeds of 1 mb/s, but it works.

My final opinion on demon's souls is that it's only really cool for the 'historical' value of being a prototype for dark souls, as it's basically inferior to it in every respect.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Why though?
    DeS, along with DS2, are the best games From has made since 2009. :smug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. yellowcake Arcane

yellowcake
    I got it from the bay a few days ago. It is working fine, you only need to edit out txt extension from PS3_DISC.SFB file.

^ Top  
  9. Outmind Augur

Outmind
    Umm, is there a way to rebind the controls in this gamr? Specifically, I always rebind targeting from the right stick to triangle. It's putting a serious damper on my experience, and there doesn't seem to be an option in the game options. If DS doesn't support it, can i remap the controls in RPCS3 for just that game?

^ Top  
  10. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    usually there is an option for input or controls on emulators, so you could do that. Not sure on this specific emulator. You just have to go through all the options to find it. Maybe google input, controls for that emulator.

^ Top  
  11. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I bought mine for $40 a couple of years ago off eBay. Probably trending even cheaper right now. I'd consider using RPCS3 only with games that are perfectly emulated just so I can get nice upscaling in the resolution. Anyone know how well The Last of Us is emulated? I own the PS3 disc but, really, 720p is so ugly when you've been so used to 1080p all these years.

^ Top  
  12. rbenchley Educated Patron

rbenchley
    Still has a way to go, the last I saw. It makes it in-game, but the framerate is around 10-15 FPS and not everything is emulated correctly.

^ Top  
  13. cruel Savant

cruel
    Buying used PS3 is also worth for original NieR.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. kalganoat Learned

kalganoat
    I did and NieR runs and looks like shit on PS3. I'm gonna wait for the emulator.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Most games run like shit on PS3/X360. Either wait for PS4 rereleases or proper emulation.

^ Top  
  16. yellowcake Arcane

yellowcake
    NieR is perfectly playable on RPCS3 now, even upscaled. It slows a bit in bullet hell sections though.

^ Top  
  17. rbenchley Educated Patron

rbenchley
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rbenchley Educated Patron

rbenchley
    • incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    You say it's perfectly playable, and I agree with you, but how to deal with the shader caches issue? I don't want my first run of the game to be fully of graphical glitches and stutters while the shader cache builds. I know there's a way to share pre-built caches with WiiU emulator, but what about this? Is there a solution to this problem?

^ Top  
  20. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It wasn't a problem for me with the correct settings (talking barely noticeable framedrops first time loading into an area).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    Wow that is some huge new to me. Can you share your settings please?

^ Top  
  22. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iirc the internet and I disagreed on correct number of SPU threads, so you might try tweaking that manually.

The glitches I experience are sometimes texture popin is slow(ie, ~1s), and occasionally on map load the game crashes or audio goes bad.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    Okay thanks. I'll give these and report.

^ Top  
  24. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    Well using these settings I actually get much worse performance on my end, but it does resolve the shader caching issue. I think the biggest element is the SPU decoder. If I use LLVM (which you only have the experimental version because you are using an outdated RPCS3 build) i get much smoother framerate overall. Really the difference is huge at 60fps, but i get frequent freezes due to shader compilation. Using ASMJIT i don't have the issue with shader cache but my performance is much worse.

Another, and perhaps more serious issue i have is save corruption. I can never just quit to title screen. The game freezes when i do that, and i think that's what's causing the corruption.

^ Top  
  25. GentlemanCthulhu Savant

GentlemanCthulhu
    BTW U should say that @30fps this game runs near-perfect. How did you get to run it at 1080 though? I don't seem to have that option.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.