Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Vyadhis

Learned
Anyone fired up OG Demons Souls on rpcs3 right now? Feels good to be able to play the best version of the game :smug:
OH8oOVP.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone fired up OG Demons Souls on rpcs3 right now? Feels good to be able to play the best version of the game :smug:
OH8oOVP.png
How demanding is the emulator at the moment? Does it require a powerplant-like rig to run the game at good framerate?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How demanding is the emulator at the moment? Does it require a powerplant-like rig to run the game at good framerate?

I tried it like a year ago with my old rig and the FPS was fine. But the shader buffering was insufferable, during my first run through every area everything was tearing and jerking and the sound was completely fubar. P. much unplayable.

Vyadhis

Learned
That's weird because buffering was never much of a problem for me after a minute but I know emulators can function quite differently for each individual. I'd just try downloading and running the game to see how it works for you. The buffering for me was tolerable but I play BOTW in cemu too and its way worse there so I'm probably use to it. I still think its worth it for 60 fps and not dropping 500$ on a doorstop for what is essentially Pozzed Souls. Honestly, even playing the original at 30 fps on a ps3 would be worth it more compared to this shit remake. There are unofficial servers up for both versions but they sadly will never be as active as the remake ones. That's the only real motivation to play the remake at all IMO.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can argue about changes in graphics and sound, whether is it good or bad, but there is no discussion that this new GUI is absolutely garbage looking. Soulless is the perfect word for it.

Agreed. I'm watching Lobos' stream and the game looks phenomenal in general and true to the original, down to the last move timings.

But occassionally there are these WTF spikes. Like the Dragon King is speaking in the intro? With the goofiest VO I've ever heard? Jesus.

Also the UI is shocking trash, including the menus. It's like an indie game made by two people, part time.

And HOW DO THEY STILL HAVE SOME OLD BUGS IN THE GAME???? It's completely rebuilt in a new engine! How is this even technically possible?!1! And the parry/running attack bug is still there! And magic is still retardedly OP!

EDIT: Oh and also they kept the retarded item burden...but you can insta-send every item to storage. Wtf? Why even have item burden then? All it does it add pointless inventory chore.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
What are some cool/fun yet not completely unviable builds in DeS? I've finished multiple times all the other souls games, including BB and Sekiro. Usually, I go with a DEX build for first playthrough but that was equivalent of picking very easy mode in DaS 3 so I'm looking for some suggestions this time. I'm thinking a something of a Paladin build? Faith + DEX with some STR to be able to wield heavier weapons and armour. DeS veterans, tell me what's a good and fun build to try when not looking to min/max.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
To be honest, not all of these redesigns are bad. Athough there's a couple of them that are undeniable trash.

I guess this is the cost for getting a remake developed by western people focusing on muh graphics and tech (Things that weren't Demon's souls selling point). I wonder what Miyazaki truly thinks about this remake.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can argue about changes in graphics and sound, whether is it good or bad, but there is no discussion that this new GUI is absolutely garbage looking. Soulless is the perfect word for it.

Agreed. I'm watching Lobos' stream and the game looks phenomenal in general and true to the original, down to the last move timings.

But occassionally there are these WTF spikes. Like the Dragon King is speaking in the intro? With the goofiest VO I've ever heard? Jesus.

Also the UI is shocking trash, including the menus. It's like an indie game made by two people, part time.

And HOW DO THEY STILL HAVE SOME OLD BUGS IN THE GAME???? It's completely rebuilt in a new engine! How is this even technically possible?!1! And the parry/running attack bug is still there! And magic is still retardedly OP!

EDIT: Oh and also they kept the retarded item burden...but you can insta-send every item to storage. Wtf? Why even have item burden then? All it does it add pointless inventory chore.
I like when remakes keep the same bugs intentionally when they are gameplay or speedrun relevant.

Strongly agree on the UI.

Wunderbar

Arcane
high-tier grass is now heavier, which means you can't carry too much of it and bruteforcing your way by spamming healing is no longer a viable tactic.
Basically you still need to think what kind of items you want to carry around with you, but the headache of going back to nexus to deposit stuff was removed.

Ivan

Arcane
100.webp

Also, looks like they removed Old Hero's shockwave? Oh well, at least he doesn't sound like he's gargling mouthwash when he dies

And what we were all waiting for, Storm King WARNING
fool doesn't use Storm Breaker

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
They're using the same original code, guess certain things weren't changed.

Vyadhis

Learned
They completely ruined Astraea's theme and made it into generic Dark Souls III shit lmao. Sounds nothing like the original.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Gameplay-wise, is it better or worse than the original?

OH8oOVP.png
Thinking of turning the PS3 on again

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They completely ruined Astraea's theme and made it into generic Dark Souls III shit lmao. Sounds nothing like the original.
Oh man, I didn't believe this, but you're very much correct. These people clearly have some talent when it comes to sound design and graphics, but they don't really know how to use it. The "improvement" to this song in particular really shows that their understanding is superficial.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
More importantly, has the Scraping Spear been nerfed?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom