Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think the new theme sounds crap and I think this because it sounds like every other Dark Souls 3 song. They're all the same.

It's like what happened to Jeremy Soule after his very good TA and his decent TES3 OSTs.

The original soundtrack is full of flaws. It's so real and... Adventurous. Exciting. It uses many different techniques and yet remains tonally consistent. This isn't true for the remake for me. It's all been sent through a ... A filter. To make it "better." Now it's polished and shiny. But like with a gem, a beautifully polished artificial gem is worth a lot less than naturally mined gem with inclusions and imperfections.

The Japanese have always known that it's imperfections that draw the eye to that which is beautiful, and that help break up the monotony. In that sense this new remake is a complete failure.

If you look at Chinese and Japanese art, it's obvious that the orientals have a tendency to put a lot of emphasis on what's "between the lines". Ancient oriental paintings have an aproximate approach to detail as if they were trying to put more emphasis on what's "beyond" the visible form of things.

Westerners by contrast seem to put more emphasis on the exterior, on formal perfection which at the highest level can also be divine, to wit the works of Bach, but when it's done by lesser hands it feels contrived in an all "too human" kinda of way.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Sorry for necroing this thread by the way, I was seriously considering for a moment getting a PS5 for this and....is there actually anything else worth getting a PS5 for currently?

But then I looked at the price of a PS5...then that of a PS3...
Yeah, I think I know which one I'll be getting.

It does looks absolutely stunning in terms of graphical fidelity bar a few (several?) questionable choices, but shelling out $600 for the console and the game?

But seriously, what is there to play on the PS5?

If you never owned a PS4 there's Bloodborne and a few other PS4 games that are kind of worth playing, some run much better on the PS5 (like Resident Evil 8, which has zero loadtimes, for example). Shadow of the Colossus remake is alright (but they kind of butchered the artstyle, same as the DS remake). As for PS5 exclusives, the best game IMO is Returnal.

Mine mostly gathers dust whenever I'm not playing Virtua Fighter, though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Doesn't Demon Soul work well on the emulator this says? You might save yourself the trouble of even getting a PS3.

Yeah DS1 works pretty much perfectly with RPCS3 these days, 4k/60fps, etc. There are even private servers for world tendency stuff as I understand it (though I've never actually tried that functionality),

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Sorry for necroing this thread by the way, I was seriously considering for a moment getting a PS5 for this and....is there actually anything else worth getting a PS5 for currently?

It does looks absolutely stunning in terms of graphical fidelity bar a few (several?) questionable choices, but shelling out $600 for the console and the game?

Nothing. Demon Souls is worth playing if you haven’t played it before. I would just emulate it, if you wanted to replay it. Buying a whole console for 1 game is retarded.

Andnjord

Arcane
Doesn't Demon Soul work well on the emulator this says? You might save yourself the trouble of even getting a PS3.
Good point, I forgot that was a thing. Will have to give it a try before anything else.

If you never owned a PS4
Don't have PS4 either, but used to have a flatmate who had one, so the idea of playing Shadow of the Colossus and Bloodborne again is appealing.

Meh, guess I'll wait until the price drops or they inevitably make a Bloodborne sequel, right? Right??

Thanks for the information bros!

Machocruz

Arcane

PS5 is a 'last gen' catch-up machine right now. I bought one because I skipped last gen and my computer isn't able to run a lot of those games (and I have no desired to shell out to upgrade), so it has some use to me. I have yet to play an actual PS5 game on it. Even my wishlist is all PS4 games right now lel. Bloodborne has dominated my time on it, and I'm waiting for Sekiro to go on a decent sale. After that maybe Monster Hunter World, I also have Red Dead 2 for it, but fuck open world games right now.

if you can play last gen games on some other platform, I'd say it has almost zero value right now. Demon's Souls, at least the original, is great, but not $600 great.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I think the new theme sounds crap and I think this because it sounds like every other Dark Souls 3 song. They're all the same.

It's like what happened to Jeremy Soule after his very good TA and his decent TES3 OSTs.

The original soundtrack is full of flaws. It's so real and... Adventurous. Exciting. It uses many different techniques and yet remains tonally consistent. This isn't true for the remake for me. It's all been sent through a ... A filter. To make it "better." Now it's polished and shiny. But like with a gem, a beautifully polished artificial gem is worth a lot less than naturally mined gem with inclusions and imperfections.

The Japanese have always known that it's imperfections that draw the eye to that which is beautiful, and that help break up the monotony. In that sense this new remake is a complete failure.
It's not that Demon's Souls is good because of its imperfections. It does have them, and they are an undeniable part of its identity, but that's not what makes it special. What is an imperfection, really? According to the remake, the good elements are the imperfections. But when I listen to the soundtrack I certainly don't hear any. If anything, hyper-fidelity graphics and uber-orchestral soundtracks are more imperfect than what came before.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Don't do this to me Unreal. I thought you wrote new rumor about Demon souls remake PC edition.
rating_negativeman.png

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have just started this and am too early to offer an opinion (still haven't gotten to the first boss but suspect I'm close) but want to vent my frustration that you can't read player messages/bloodstains without a "playstation plus" subscription which starts at £6.99/month. I haven't noticed this before because I played other FromSoft games on PC.

I paid <£20 for this game off ebay so if I take three months to beat it (very plausible given my pace) i would have spent more on the online service shite than on the disc itself. As it is I'm using the 7-day trial that came with the PS5. I suppose after that I'll just play "offline" and find my own fucking secrets. Cunts.

BTW it turns out there is actually fuck all games on the playstation plus subscription. RDR2 is not included. The PS5 edition of Death Stranding is not included. Bloodborne is not included. Cyberpunk 2077 is not included. (Ironically, Demon's Souls actually is included.) It's less the netflix of games than the netflix of no games.

:argh:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
chill, the multiplayer stuff is completely optional. I played it on PS3 when multi had been already almost dead and had a blast.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Haha PS5 has no games.
Meh, I never played any of the PS4 exclusives and my mobo shat itself the other day so to me there are loads of games.

Anyway the monthly recurring revenue thing is just a business fad. Netflix looked like the future 2-3 years ago but brainless memeing big company executives are slowly catching on that Netflix is destined to be a troubled 2nd or 3rd tier streaming service in the long term. Subscription services are just a bad fit for games imo. You spend 3-4 years developing a big game, spend 1.5-2x the development budget on marketing, release it straight into the hype train and then....there is no measureable "uptick" in subscription revenue. Get ready for the fallout I say: rising monthly charges, games not arriving until they're 6-12 months old. Netflix displaced blockbuster and they are fundamentally the same video rental business.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Bloodborne is the only game you need for PS4. Take God of War and RDR2 and you're set for 3 years of gaming. The PS plus thing is worthless if you don't use multiplayer.

Star Citizen

Learned
I have just started this and am too early to offer an opinion (still haven't gotten to the first boss but suspect I'm close) but want to vent my frustration that you can't read player messages/bloodstains without a "playstation plus" subscription which starts at £6.99/month. I haven't noticed this before because I played other FromSoft games on PC.

I paid <£20 for this game off ebay so if I take three months to beat it (very plausible given my pace) i would have spent more on the online service shite than on the disc itself. As it is I'm using the 7-day trial that came with the PS5. I suppose after that I'll just play "offline" and find my own fucking secrets. Cunts.

BTW it turns out there is actually fuck all games on the playstation plus subscription. RDR2 is not included. The PS5 edition of Death Stranding is not included. Bloodborne is not included. Cyberpunk 2077 is not included. (Ironically, Demon's Souls actually is included.) It's less the netflix of games than the netflix of no games.

:argh:
Yeah lol. Not that I ever read them but still that's a fucking petty feature to lock off.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
^That should be four since Returnal is going to be ported to the PC. Actually, make it 3 since D. Souls is a remake of an older game technically.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
What is the purpose of fog walls in this? In ER fog always means a boss. Here they are used for bosses (but the text prompt is different) but otherwise they just pointlessly split up the level?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
They were used to build up tension but they dropped the idea at Dark Souls II or III (iirc). Dark Souls I also had fog walls everywhere.
They also delimitate the multiplayer summon areas, but since they disappear once crossed, it doesn't really help much in this regard.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I always thought they were intended to be a sort-of indication of where the player should go to actually progress. If you see a fog door, you can just avoid it and explore the other parts.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Beat the first boss, made it to the second boss. Second boss has a pretty basic moveset but he's at the end of a long run and also it felt like my damage output just wasn't good enough so left him for a bit. Tried the 2-1 level, the mines, it's fairly hard for me. Very conservative play required but I'm not stuck.

I am running a dex build (for variety, since my Elden Ring lad is faith). Flailing a bit to find a weapon I actually like. Tried Scimitar, Mail Breaker and going with the Dagger +2 for now. The Dagger has a powerful, quick hit and pretty good stagger it seems. So far I've put dex up to 15, str up to 11 (to use the 100% damage reduction heater shield the blacksmith sells), vit up to 11/12 and end up to 9. Think I need a few more points in end as I'm getting my shield popped open a lot.

My early thoughts are that it's quite different to ER. Levels are more about a fighting through a long sequence of normal mobs and less about bosses. There are more cheap tactics here than in ER. Shortcuts in ER are rare, I suppose mostly vestigial, but here they are central to the level design. Backstab seems FAR more powerful here than in ER, probably because of how much more significant non-boss mobs are. I remember watching ER streamers doing backstabs and wondering why they bothered but now I think I see where that habit comes from in souls players.

I remember the earlygame in ER to be about this hard but it eased off a little once you got past Stormveil Castle. Hopefully that will happen here too, we'll see.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Tried the 2-1 level, the mines, it's fairly hard for me. Very conservative play required but I'm not stuck.
the ability to take advantage of enemies being weak to a specific damage type is much more important in DeS than in subsequent souls games.

Enemies from Stonefang are more susceptible to magic attacks, so it would make sense to explore that region after you find an enchanted or a blessed weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom