Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Depths of Fear :: Knossos

I didn't find a thread about this so I decided to make one.

I've been playing this quirky little game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252570

It actually reminded me a bit of an old PC game called Nosferatu, it was an FPS that came out in the early 2000's and had random elements - the castle changed, enemies were different every playthrough, etc.

It was very janky but really fun, I played it a lot.

Knossos has some dynamic elements as well - you need to quaff potions before you identify what they do (like in roguelikes), etc.

The whole thing is pretty strange though; the music especially produces a disconnect, since it's like some weird 70's synth soundtrack and the game is set in a classic Greek setting.

The animations/graphics are pretty janky but I actually think they work pretty well in the context of the game. Overall, I guess I'm trying to say it's been an interesting game and it's been very hard for me to get interested by games lately. I still haven't managed to beat it but I think it's definitely worth a look.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Whoa that was surreal :P

This might actually get me interested.

The Satyr lacks a certain important element tho.

Borelli

Arcane
Looks very good, reminds me of that first person dungeon crawler that has a thread in the Workshop.

Astral Rag

Arcane
wow
ABEA8167F0586DC8A5F4D545FA8B73ACB3F5B5DF

2520035.jpg

sbb

Learned
So how is it? Great Deceiver says it's "interesting" but that much can be gleaned from the trailer. Anyone played it and have some word on it?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I played it for a little bit. Game's got a fairly neat idea but it looks pretty ugly even for an indie game. Also gets pretty boring pretty fast since enemy patterns are easy to abuse, it pretty much loses most challenge in the first 30 minutes.

Astral Rag

Arcane
No one with a mini review to offer? I'm also interested in this game, it's really really cheap now but I don't want to fill my library with crap

This game is very buggy, the controls and animations are extremely floaty, AI is "basic" at best, melee combat is... not great but stealth seemed to work reasonably well.

Graphics would have looked average in 2005 yet the game still manages to run bad on a lot of modern computers. Knossos does have a great art style and good sound design.

Sadly there is no way to save and autosaves are few and far between AND the game likes to crash to desktop without showing error messages.

I also had to disable controllers in Windows device manager to prevent the camera from endless auto spinning :roll:

The concept is intriguing but the game is too broken and unsatisfying to recommend ATM, maybe in the future.

Devs recently posted:

10352892_736508433072959_5219823087833458100_n.jpg

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
... and Steam just downloaded a 260MB update. Maybe the game is actually playable now.

Thank you everyone for your patience while Phil worked on getting this much sought after update ready. There are a lot of Changes, Fixes and Additions made in Update 1.4.1, so much so it may warrant another play-through just to see them all! There were many behind the curtain improvements to be made in response to reported crashes, poor performance, as well as hooks to set the groundwork for the upcoming ports.

Now without further ado, the Update Lists!

FIXES

Achievements should all be working again
Crashes squashed. If you still encounter a crash please report it on the forums immediately.
You can now bind the Left & Right SHIFT Keys
Minotaur Medallion now obtainable

ADDITIONS

GUI Added subtle health indicator bar. Seeing your health % makes food and potions more of a strategy than guess. Reduced self heal time by half.
GUI Added subtle energy indicator bar to encourage sprinting over constant running. Run speed slightly increased, while amount of time to do so before exhaustion is lowered.
GUI Added sound meter to illustrate the exact amount of noise made.
GUI Added icon to show when you are crouch/sneaking. Pressing (crouch) key now toggles the action until you press it again, jump, fall or run.
Added a handful of new sound FX. Added a new ‘chase’ song
V-sync added to Standard to High graphics settings.
Added new animations and reactions to common monsters (zombies, skeletons, ophis swarms, ect.)
Added Perlin Effect for some cool looking warped surfaces.

CHANGES/TWEAKS

Trident changed from thrown weapon to melee. It has extreme forward reach, and much higher hit power, in exchange for being very slow and cumbersome. Retextured the model to have a nice wood handle.
Monster spawning is now done based on player position and boss alert level. Defeating all lesser monsters, then re-alerting the boss will spawn a new wave of monsters.
Changed ‘fire traps’ from shooting a jet of flame to shooting a ball of flame that bounces and explodes.
Changed ‘Spike Trap’ damage from instakill to reducing your health by 50%
Reduced most monster instakill 100% damage attacks by half (With the exception of Medusa, Manticore and Minotaur which still have instant kill attacks)
Boss levels no longer rely on grabbing the medal and avoiding the lava. Now you must defeat the boss by fighting them with your weapons. Levels balanced to each boss. Common monsters have also been added and will respawn too.
Standing Torches can no longer be lit and extinguished unlimited times. Now they can only be lit once and to put them out they must be attacked/destroyed.
The Ghost now shoots at you from a distance with added new FX and AI.
Lesser monster AI hugely improved.
Removed most camera effects (in-game and options menu) and reworked most lighting.
Improved water and lava now ripple in real time.
Various Boss Ai balances to make cheap deaths less common, while keeping them near and dangerous
Fixed a lot of bad map textures.
Minotaur model improvements, final Minotaur battle more streamlined and fun
Ranged weapons/shooting is greatly improved. Shots are faster, and more accurate
Greatly improved level generation meshes.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/252570/announcements/detail/230001725589113885

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom