Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Der Geisterjäger -- the third dungeon crawler by Graverobber Foundation -- OUT NOW

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Got coverage on a Brazilian website, sounds pretty positive judging by Google Translate-fu (confirmed by The Brazilian Slaughter).

Also got a review by RPG Crawler, who also covered prior games:

Been recuperating over the past few days, thinking about getting back in action next week, since I still need to ship the Linux version. If anyone wants to give it a spin and tell me if it runs fine on their rig, let me know.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Update 1.0.1 is up.
  • Fixed inability to use melee attacks if an obstacle was located between the attacker and the target.
  • Fixed minor inconsistencies in the settings menu.
  • Fixed a minor script bug that would retrigger the system repair disk pickup event.
  • Fixed minor typos in event text.
  • Fixed rare crashes during battles against large numbers of enemies.
  • Added 'Auto Battle' action. It allows you to attack the first available target with movement taken into account.
  • Added an additional tip to the loading screen.
  • Improved menu handling.
  • Improved settings menu.
  • Improved introduction and credits sequence. Now you can skip individual lines by pressing any key.

Also, latest news.
Greetings, RCS Pilots!

We've enjoyed a nice launch week and would like to share the latest news with you.

FIRST UPDATE IS ON THE WAY

The game launched in a polished state (yay), but not all player feedback was accounted for in the initial version. We're going to release an update that adds a few QoL changes to make your experience smoother. It will launch next week unless we encounter any major issues along the way.

LINUX VERSION

We're working on the Linux version and aiming to release it in late September. If you're interested in testing this version and confirming that it runs well on your configuration, let us know.

GAME + DLC BUNDLE AVAILABLE

In case you missed the launch sale, we've launched a bundle that contains the base game and the soundtrack with a 10% discount.

THE FUTURE

We're working on a small side project to regain our strength and give us time to think about the next big thing.

At the same time, we are not done with Der Geisterjäger. We have three additional scenarios drafted, and they will enter development if the base game reaches its initial sales target of 1,500 copies by January 31, 2022.

Thank you for your support and interest in Der Geisterjäger,
Graverobber Foundation

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
finished this yesterday and all i have to say is that it's the best of the geisterdong games so far, and possibly the first one that actually feels and plays like a full/finished game from start to finish

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
finished this yesterday and all i have to say is that it's the best of the geisterdong games so far, and possibly the first one that actually feels and plays like a full/finished game from start to finish

Yeah, now that he's completely removed every nuance of difficulty and resource management everyone can enjoy it.

lightbane

Arcane
So, I finally decided to try this one after having played the last two. I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I wasn't able to use the NumPad to move around even though the Controls menu says so. Instead, I can only use WASD as the NumPad moves the menu, as the regular keyboard keys used to do. I can't swap them for others as then the game complains they're assigned to "critical shortcuts" or something strange like that. Speaking of, is the "analyze" function no longer a shortcut?
The music right at the start seems to glitch, or at least feel weird. Lastly, are there stats for your melee attack? As in, the energy cutter knife, not the ram attack.
I'm also not sure what the advanced graphics options like Chromatic Aberration do when everything is generated by using wireframe graphics. :)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Instead, I can only use WASD as the NumPad moves the menu, as the regular keyboard keys used to do. I can't swap them for others as then the game complains they're assigned to "critical shortcuts" or something strange like that.
Press NumLock. Chances are it was disabled while you were playing the game.

Speaking of, is the "analyze" function no longer a shortcut?
It was removed as a shortcut to avoid clashing with contextual events. The functionality is somewhat different in this game too -- it allows you to analyze any target you can aim at, so you can (technically) scan the target from behind the corner and adjust your loadout in whatever time you have left before it reaches your position.

Lastly, are there stats for your melee attack? As in, the energy cutter knife, not the ram attack.
I think I unintentionally hid them. Will return their display to normal in the status report option for the next update.

For now, the base Beam Sword stats are: 64 energy damage, uses 20 energy points per attack.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Press NumLock. Chances are it was disabled while you were playing the game.

That did the trick. Thanks! Hopefully I don't have to do that every time. Tested around a little more. Unlike the first game, you can't die in the training level, or at least not if you have half of a brain, as your starting mecha is quite tough and the training robots are weak. Others will decide if that's a drawback or an improvement.

By the way, is the square thing formed of floating parts mean something? So far it doesn't seem to do much, but I'm sure it's meant to show something.

It was removed as a shortcut to avoid clashing with contextual events. The functionality is somewhat different in this game too -- it allows you to analyze any target you can aim at, so you can (technically) scan the target from behind the corner and adjust your loadout in whatever time you have left before it reaches your position.
Okay? It makes things a bit annoying as you're encouraged to analyze everything.
Speaking of: Can the text speed be affected somehow, or is it always set to lightning fast? Is there a way to stop the text screens from continuing if for example I wish to screenshot a certain dialogue screen?
You also went as far as to include a translator, for some reason. Is German an obscure language in the dark future?

For now, the base Beam Sword stats are: 64 energy damage, uses 20 energy points per attack.

Is it affected by your combat stance as well? Is it impeded if you have your shield activated?
Took the corp a while, but you finally start as what most would agree is a proper combat mech, not an offbrand Zanny from Gundam.

The music from what I heard so far isn't as extreme as the original, it sounds normal instead of having a bunch of cats being thrown into a dishwasher, but the rest of the game will likely provide.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
By the way, is the square thing formed of floating parts mean something? So far it doesn't seem to do much, but I'm sure it's meant to show something.
It it's rotating over time, it's your turn. It was added at the last moment to make it easier to understand if multiple enemies have finished their turns.

Speaking of: Can the text speed be affected somehow, or is it always set to lightning fast? Is there a way to stop the text screens from continuing if for example I wish to screenshot a certain dialogue screen?
The text is set to switch to the next line if any key is pressed. You can limit it to Return / whatever key is set as a confirm button in the settings (Miscellaneous > Dismiss Key).

You also went as far as to include a translator, for some reason. Is German an obscure language in the dark future?
It's always been a trademark feature of the series.

Is it affected by your combat stance as well? Is it impeded if you have your shield activated?
Nope, melee attacks by design are similar to ramming attacks (i.e. they land a hit unless the target evaded the attack) and deal a lot of damage, but they consume a lot of energy and require you to remain stationary for the turn.

SpoonFULL

Novice
I would like to buy Der Geisterjäger in the Steam sale, but could not run the demo (I have an old laptop with opengl 3). Is there a way to run this on old hardware? (Das Geisterschiff works perfectly for me!)

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I would like to buy Der Geisterjäger in the Steam sale, but could not run the demo (I have an old laptop with opengl 3). Is there a way to run this on old hardware? (Das Geisterschiff works perfectly for me!)
DGS uses DX9 on Windows and OpenGL 3.2+ on Mac/Linux.

DGT/DGJ use OpenGL on both Windows and Linux for portability and consistent results, but they require at least OpenGL 3.2 to run. You can try running the demo with the -force-opengl argument to force the game to use the legacy OpenGL backend, but I'm not sure if it'll help.

SpoonFULL

Novice
Thank you for your reply. I tried the force opengl argument with the demo and it did not work. No worries and enjoying DGS for the moment.

lightbane

Arcane
:necro:

I began playing this after some time, if only to complete the trilogy (I didn't finish the 2nd game but I thought it wasn't worth it due how lame it was). Shame there's so little info about this game (nor any LPs or faqs or anything about the rest). I also would like to know how long the game takes to complete. 10 hours? 20h?

Or why some enemies can move forward and immediately turn around to shoot you, and some don't. I think the bigger ones can't, but I'm not sure. I also didn't find the stats for the energy sword attack anywhere, although it seems to be quite powerful.
Right now I arrived at level 2 of the first area after checking the first floor thoroughly.
I also wonder why the protagonist starts with a sturdy mech for the training mission (it had something like 300+ HP), and then you're given another one with 180+ HP when the game begins properly. Any upgrades to you guns are also not kept as well. Did the corp accidentally switch up the robot models?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Shame there's so little info about this game (nor any LPs or faqs or anything about the rest). I also would like to know how long the game takes to complete. 10 hours? 20h?
8-20 hours based on Steam reviews from those who finished the game. About 12 hours on average, I'd say.

Or why some enemies can move forward and immediately turn around to shoot you, and some don't.
That was the feature since the first game -- some enemies are slow, but hit harder, so you can take the initiative.

I also didn't find the stats for the energy sword attack anywhere, although it seems to be quite powerful.
I meant to patch them in since I forgot to add them, but didn't have the time to return to older projects and get through my TODO list, since there were no critical issues left in any of them.

If you want the Beam Sword stats, the damage goes like this based on upgrade level: 64 > 80 > 96 > 112 > 128 > 160. It deals energy damage and consumes 20 energy points per attack. Just like the ramming attacks, it hits unless the target evades the attack.

I also wonder why the protagonist starts with a sturdy mech for the training mission (it had something like 300+ HP), and then you're given another one with 180+ HP when the game begins properly. Any upgrades to you guns are also not kept as well. Did the corp accidentally switch up the robot models?
It was done to give players some breathing room in the tutorial to learn and make mistakes before throwing them into the meatgrinder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom