Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

DemonKing

Arcane
Not sure why they didn't just reboot this as "Desperados" like last year's "COD Modern Warfare" was not MW4...calling it D3 is less inviting to newer players and older players didn't care much for D2 or Helldorado in any case.

Saying that my 12 year old tried this out and absolutely loved it. It was scary to watch him play as he was much better than me at quickly working out solutions. He's now knee-deep in Shadow Tactics.
And here I am with an 8 year old nephew who can't put Fortnite down :killit::negative:

To be fair my son does prefer playing on PC with a controller to M&K which is :decline: (although he does acknowledge PC is the master race).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure why they didn't just reboot this as "Desperados" like last year's "COD Modern Warfare" was not MW4...calling it D3 is less inviting to newer players and older players didn't care much for D2 or Helldorado in any case.

Saying that my 12 year old tried this out and absolutely loved it. It was scary to watch him play as he was much better than me at quickly working out solutions. He's now knee-deep in Shadow Tactics.
And here I am with an 8 year old nephew who can't put Fortnite down :killit::negative:

To be fair my son does prefer playing on PC with a controller to M&K which is :decline: (although he does acknowledge PC is the master race).
That depends on what is he playing? If he plays third person adventure game with controller, it just means he is intelligent enough to realize that controller is superior to m/kb in some genres. If he plays FPS games with a controller however, it is time to take the belt down.

DemonKing

Arcane

That depends on what is he playing? If he plays third person adventure game with controller, it just means he is intelligent enough to realize that controller is superior to m/kb in some genres. If he plays FPS games with a controller however, it is time to take the belt down.

He prefers it for everything...I obviously didn't beat him enough as an infant.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Bit of a shame that there seems to be no incentive to do play the game at its hardest. The challenge badges are pretty weak in this compared to Shadow Tactics.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Is it as good as Shadow Tac ? I'm thinking about getting it on PS4.

It is much the same as Shadow Tactics and definitely a solid game, but I thought it was a bit worse, mainly in the balancing of the characters. They are all overpowered compared to their Shadow Tactics counterparts, which made it so that I less often had to use multiple characters to achieve all the small little goals, and more often found cheap and boring ways of disposing enemies.
If you do play it try using the guns as often as you can, I think that makes the game more fun.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've finished the game on Desperado difficulty and enjoyed it quite a lot so I recommend it to all Commandos/Desperados fans. I think it's even better than Shadow Tactics since it improved in some areas plus it added the replay function and even more detailed statistics. With that said it's still much worse than Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive.

The good:

+ Interesting missions that most of the time have at least two ways to approach (although these two ways don't matter that much, it's just a virtual choice where we decide which half of enemies should we defeat).
+ Per my suggestion characters have now more unique abilities and they don't overlap as much as in ST.
+ The game is quite challenging on Desperado difficulty but lower difficulties are just too easy (playing anything other than Hard or Desperados is just pointless IMO).
+ We can now gang up on samurais long coats and even KO them so pacifist run are possible (with the exception of some key characters).

The bad:
- Plot is beyond retarded and characters are atrocious. It could work if it was a parody of another revenge plot but it's dead serious and characters act like stupid kids. This was one thing that put me off the most.
- Like in ST some missions are just too long, the game would be more enjoyable if there were more missions but with smaller maps IMO. Some missions are actually split in half for that reason so it is a slight improvement when compared to ST but all in all besides some very specific moments the rest is just a copy of our previous tactics and we're slowly advancing defeating enemy after enemy. IMO if instead of 100 enemies we would have to face half of them the gameplay would be improved. There are enemies that we can sneak past of course but on my first try I didn't want to risk being cut off at some point so I've usually killed everyone in my path. Either way, civilians were almost always against us so it was easier to KO them and the map was crawling with enemies even in cities. Quality over quantity would go a long way.
- Cooper was nerfed (in Desperados he could fire 3 shots almost instantly plus everyone could shoot from around the corner and hide instantly) and not in a good way. Which is a bad thing in my book because he was the coolest character in any tactics game but here they've made him a retard. On the other hand both Kate and nigger woman are OP so I don't understand this decision. After all there are challenges in which we can't use firearms or we can use only certain characters so it's not like the game would become easier. Anyway, in general characters resemble ST characters a bit too much (only they're much more retarded).
- We couldn't ride horses or cut the saddles, we could only use them for KO which could be used very rarely even if we used bait.
- Like in ST from the very start we can see all the opponents. having more varied adversaries (at least as much as in Desperados) would improve the game a lot.

The ugly:
  • Have I mentioned appalling plot? Yeah, it's that ugly.
  • Pathfinding is annoying and often I couldn't use the quick action feature because characters were going the long way instead of the shortest ones.
  • Quick action didn't work as well as in Desperados (sic!). Yes, a 20 year old game original feature worked better than its contemporary implementation.
All in all I rate the game 8/10 (ignoring the plot, it's not why I play such games after all). In the end I very rarely used firearms and by far most of my kills were with knife. I've also barely used mind control or sniping ability always preserving it till the very end (in the last mission part 2 it couldn't be used anyway).

SB7M3eN.jpg

Last edited:
Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
lul, its not a great idea to cut the price of a competing product by 85%! at the LAUNCH of your other product...
NzDVRyz.png

EyIstTc.png

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Have I mentioned appalling plot? Yeah, it's that ugly.
What is wrong with the plot? Some dude killed your dad and you are going trough a mountain of corpses to kill him back lol. That is like saying commandos had a bad plot. It is a generic excuse to go let you do puzzles for 20 hours.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah I thought the plot was fine. It's silly generic Western revenge shit. The characters and situations are all pretty funny and allow you to do a bunch of ridiculous shit like escape from a prison mine and attend a fancy party. I liked all the characters too even if Cooper is a complete dumbass.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
What is wrong with the plot? Some dude killed your dad and you are going trough a mountain of corpses to kill him back lol. That is like saying commandos had a bad plot. It is a generic excuse to go let you do puzzles for 20 hours.
And that is one of many reasons why Desperados or Robin Hood are superior to Commandos or Desperados 3. Heck, even Shadow Tactics was much better in that department. And yeah, it's utterly obvious that it's just an excuse but somehow in Shadow Tactics they've managed to make the plot at least somewhat coherent and interesting and characters didn't act like complete retards.

Let's start with Kate who pretended to marry the mayor only to get the deed which she lost in cards (WTF?). Meanwhile mayor wanted to marry Kate knowing full well it would be catastrophic assuming that once she would pop out some children she would forget everything, lol. Instead of pretending to be a maid she almost married the guy... Retarded on every possible level. Then she murdered the mayor with no consequences even though something like this would put a huge bounty on her head (her name was well known, she had bloodied dress, she made as much noise as she could and she was basically seen to do it). Comedy genius. Plus she lowered a gun when Cooper came in when he could have been on of Frank's guys for example. She also trusted him completely giving him lots of money in hopes he would stick to the deal they've made while having nothing more than his word.

Then we've had ranch defending where everyone assumed that law would mean nothing and they could just kill everyone and the deed would mean nothing. But the most retarded thing was blowing the whole bridge up under the assumption that with no bridge there would be no more attacks, lol.

About Isabelle's mission I've written earlier: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...hadow-tactics-devs.123475/page-8#post-6276470

As for Frank and the whole revenge mission, they're just a stupid caricature. The scene where he captured Wayne was hilariously bad, "oh look how badass I am, I'll kill one of my guys for no reason at all giving the marshal to shoot me and the poncho guy while I was doing that". Establishing that he's sickly and old and yet he was still faster (even though reflexes deteriorate with age) and with better aim than Cooper was also retarded as was the scene where he shot Hector or the plot twist that anyone with half a brain saw coming, i.e. Hector was the long coat's name. This whole scene was also retarded, Frank just left assuming a guy who has just pleaded for the kid's life would kill him. Why though other than making Frank the simplest of villains? Especially when later he was giving chance after chance to Cooper to kill him instead of using his firepower and men advantage and killing him without this Wild West shit.Not to mention that Cooper waited this long to get him even though he must have had other opportunities.

And these are only part of the problem with the plot and characters. It would be much better if Frank was just another bounty and for example Kate would also have interest to catch him while Hector would be a friend and McCoy would do it for the money. If they wanted to make a plot out of it they should have hired a better writer because otherwise it weighs the game down. If I were to include the plot in my rating I would rate it 6/10 just because it's so stupid but like I said, it's not the reason I play Desperados and good plot is just a bonus.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Just went back to Shadow Tac in anticipation for Derp3 and the plot is really good. Not good in a "mind blowing!!" sense but it really makes you feel like a crack team of covert operatives doing shady stuff for the government. I think the music also helps in giving a serious, believable vibe.

But damn this last mission is impossible. :negative:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Pirate, play, complain, next game, so many to play, never enough time, it's the hard life, it's fanta life

This is actually legit and true. I face the same problem, i pirate so many shit i have no time to play them anyway and just try them a little and delete them. Essentially i am pirating for the DEMO (remember this thing actually existed at some point?). The things i genuinely stick to and enjoy i end up buying because i want to support the devs and because i want to see more of the same in the future. This procedure is especially useful to us Linux gamers, as oftentimes even native Linux ports run like shit (and WINE is a total crapshoot) and you have no way of knowing until you try them.

Still, us pirates need to stick to the motto "If you enjoyed the game, buy it". It is in all scene .nfos for a reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom