Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Destiny #1 is actually a pretty fun game

Ebonsword

Arcane
I found myself in the mood for a sci-fi shooter/RPG last week, and I didn't feel like replaying any of the Mass Effect games. So, when I came across the base game of Destiny and the first three expansions for $30, I figured I would give it a shot.

I know that this game received a lot of criticism when it was first released. And, hell, all of that criticism may have been justified. I didn't play it back then, and, supposedly, the game has changed a lot since it was released. All I know is that I've really enjoyed my time playing it so far.

Keep in mind that I'm strictly just playing the PVE portion of the game (I couldn't care less about PVP). There seems to be a lot of content available for the PVE areas. I always have story missions to do and, if I feel like taking a break from that, I can always go patrol one of the zones collecting bounties, doing public events, or just trying out different weapon loadouts.

I find the basic gameplay immensely fun. Although it doesn't feel that different from Halo #1 (which is, holy crap, 17 years old now?!). Still, the various weapons certainly play differently. For example, primary weapons include scout rifles (which are generally high-damage and low rate of fire), auto rifles (less damage but much higher RoF), and pulse rifles (in between). There also also different classes and different subclasses of those classes which play very differently. Right now I'm playing my Hunter as a Bladedancer, which is much more focussed on stealth and melee than, say, a Gunslinger who is much more focused on keeping their distance.

The game also does a good job mixing up enemy types, so you'll have, for example, some enemy snipers plinking away at you while hordes of melee units rush you, while a lieutenant hangs back and pelts you with AoE attacks. So, the game definitely keeps you on your toes. And it's definitely not a "popamole" cover-based shooter, since staying in one place too long often gets you flanked and killed.

I don't see myself playing this for 800 hours (like some people seem to), but as a game to immerse yourself in for a few weeks, it seems great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom