Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders - PnC Incline

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I kept looking at that picture saying, "That reflection doesn't make any sense. It should be showing Di's face, not his back."
Some detective!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's my fault, I hadn't backed yet.

Damn, loving this strong dollar now.

minhta

Nupixo Games
Developer
Love the passion on this page! So awesome.

MRY: Lol... it's suppose to be pre-post-surrealism-dream-state-non-reflectionism! Actually, I just uploaded the wrong image file... argh...

detective-di_dead-diplomat.png

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last couple days - unfreeze your wallets, punks!

Mar 25 2015

82% funded with 36 hours to go! Plus a brand new screenshot

Hi everyone!

It's been a great day so far, as our final surge continues to push us closer and closer to our funding goal! At present, we're at 82%, but we still have a day and a half left to spread the word and raise awareness about this great adventure of ours. We hope you join us in that effort! Our team is truly grateful for all the support and encouragement we've received from backers from all around the world. Your generosity has touched our hearts and motivates us to work even harder--thank you!

Now let's make this thing a reality!

TANG NOIR

For those of you still hungry for more content, we have a little something for you in the form of a brand new screenshot! This is a particularly significant location, as it showcases the offices of the justice department (imbued in a noirish smokiness). What you see in the screenshot is only the main room of a much larger compound which houses an interrogation room, a small library, and an external courtroom (among others).

a1bd12918887a3f790344946a903fd63_original.png

This "police station" compound houses many rooms helpful to your investigation.
As always, art at this stage is work in progress, so let us know what you think. Cheers!

kazgar

Arcane
Wonder if its worth opening up another 100 early birds (err late birds?) which would almost get em over the line, but I assume it would actually mean 100 $15 tier people would probably just drop the $5 difference.

In for 15 mapledollars.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Have you asked Dave Gilbert at WEG to tweet about it? I've tried drumming up support among the WWS fans, but Dave has a much bigger platform, and you specifically mention Blackwell among your influences, so he might be able to push you over the line.

minhta

Nupixo Games
Developer
Have you asked Dave Gilbert at WEG to tweet about it? I've tried drumming up support among the WWS fans, but Dave has a much bigger platform, and you specifically mention Blackwell among your influences, so he might be able to push you over the line.

Early on Dave tweeted a response to the game... kind of shy about asking him to do anything more.

kazgar

Arcane

Early on Dave tweeted a response to the game... kind of shy about asking him to do anything more.

Do it, so close, so close!

Modron

Arcane
over $17k with 2 hours to go!

hooray for late rushes, wonder where the money came from.

Some norwegian threw a grand at it right as it pretty much as it hit the funding mark, the rest was just a post funded rush or people waking up in the US who knows.

Zombra

Patron
Not much to see here, but it's good to know that the wheels are turning!

Update #15 For backers only.

Jun 7 2015

Small steps, big steps

Hi everyone!
It's been a while since our last update, but that's because we've been keeping quite busy writing, drawing, planning, and generally doing lots of pre-production work on the game.

Dialogue is a big part of the game, so we are taking extra care to complete the script as well as make sure our puzzles flow naturally from the narrative. This is perhaps one of the more underrated aspects of adventure game development, but we're making great progress.

We will be sharing some of the fruits of this labor very soon in the form of our three promised Kickstarter-exclusive wallpapers--two of which will feature completely new artwork based on concept art we've been working on. We expect to finalize these early this week.

On the technology front, we've hit some important milestones with our game engine, and things are starting to look quite good from that standpoint as well.

Also this week, we will be sending out Kickstarter surveys to gather necessary information to fulfill other rewards. Please make sure to reply in a timely manner, as delays in acquiring addresses, for example, would make shipping much less efficient on our end.

That's it for now, thanks for tuning in!

Zombra

Patron
Update #18
Feb 12 2016

Year of the sino sleuth

Greetings fellow adventurers, and happy lunar new year!

In this slightly overdue Kickstarter update, we’d like to highlight some of the cool happenings of our little indie game project over the last couple of months. It’s sometimes hard to actually write these updates as we often find ourselves just grinding away, not really seeing anything noteworthy in the slow-burn process that is game development.

However, we have achieved a number of key milestones -- along with some minor setbacks -- that I think are worth sharing at this point in time. So, without further ado, here we go!

The game engine
This has been a point of contention behind the scenes for a little while. When I first started researching point-and-click adventure game development 2+ years ago, Adventure Game Studio was the de facto game engine for many indie developers. In fact, when we first launched the Kickstarter, AGS was a big piece of the puzzle. But at its core was always a vital Achilles heel, which was its inability to easily (or even natively) support platforms other than Windows PC. But we didn’t believe that to be a big problem, after all, we knew we needed to scope the project realistically, so we made no allusions about reaching for a big multi-platform release. So, the fact that we couldn’t do it wasn’t a big deal, right?

Well, not so fast. Last November, I decided to give Adventure Creator for Unity another try (we had heard of it, but none of us had experience with Unity, and AC was still relatively new). I detected a surge in its popularity, and I felt compelled to try out the 90-minute official tutorial by its creator Chris Burton. The results were marvelous.

2d92ac7f6eacf5701c5f27996dca7cab_h264_high.jpg

This is a short clip of the game running on my Android phone. Pretty cool right? This export feature is supported right out of the box -- so even I can't mess it up! Awesome.

After a few internal meetings to discuss the idea of an engine change, we decided to make the leap. This meant we had to reintegrate some of the early scenes in the game, which would set us back a few weeks, but in the end I really do think this move will help give the game a better chance to succeed – not to mention prop up our viability as a studio moving forward.

It’s important to note that if we did decide to release on additional platforms, it would most definitely be a staggered release schedule where the main PC/Mac debut precedes any other platforms by many months. But overall, it’s exciting to know that this technology fits our long-term needs so well.

Awesome press coverage
Recently, I was approached by Marcus Tsui, IGN Asia correspondent and founder of the newly launched adventure game website PixelHunting.net, to do a special video piece as well as an interview about Detective Di. Marcus is a great guy, and he’s doing awesome work, so I was happy to oblige.

Here’s an excerpt from the interview:

How did the initial idea for the game’s plot come about? What drew you to Di Renjie?

As a native Cantonese speaker (I’m originally half-Chinese, half-Vietnamese), I’ve been watching Hong Kong television and movies since I was very young, so when Tsui Hark—one of my favorite directors—announced in 2010 that he was doing a Detective Dee movie, I immediately took notice. Even though I had read a few of the Judge Dee books by Robert van Gulik some years before, it never really occurred to me that the character could have such wide appeal.

That sort of reignited my interest in Di Renjie. And of course the whole “Sherlock Holmes of Ancient China” thing was an appealing notion to me. I joke about it now, but ultimately I found it helpful to tap into comparisons to the famous Victorian detective. The parallels are readily identifiable.

You can read the full article, as well as watch the excellent companion video, here:http://pixelhunting.net/sino-sleuth/

Cross-country move
So this part of the update veers into more personal territory. As is the case with any major endeavour in life, circumstances are sometimes dictated to us – as opposed to the other way around.

For mostly personal reasons, my wife and I decided to move from Montreal to Vancouver this past year (we settled into our new apartment in August). Since there isn’t really a "protocol" as to what to talk about in these updates, I was hesitant to bring this up previously, but the truth is this transition did affect the schedule I had set. (For those not familiar with the size of Canada, that’s roughly a 5000 km move.)

All in all, I think the move was a good one for my family, and while I wish I hadn’t lost any time working on the game, I think the experience helped me realize how important the project was to me, and how determined I was to make sure I would get back on track.

Looking ahead
At this point, some of you may be wondering, what does this all mean for the final release date? Well, it’s fair to say that we’ve had our ups and downs in the past several months, but at this point, I can honestly say that things have settled into a nice groove. Now that the engine questions have been settled, it’s just a matter of doing the work, one piece of artwork, one bit of audio, one line of code at a time.

d4d10d6da6fae4c92b09ea143788d805_original.jpg

Adventure Creator in action -- it truly is a great tool.
My hope is that we still launch before the coming summer, but honestly, we’re trying to make the very best game we can, and if that means pushing the launch to a fall window, I believe that will be worth it.

Thanks for reading, and a very happy year of the monkey to all!

- Minh Ta
Lead Designer

Zombra

Patron
Here's an update from a few months ago:

May 9 2016

A marathon, not a sprint

Hello beloved adventure gamers,

First off, boy, does time fly by quickly! Just like that, another couple of months have flown by. We’ve been keeping quite busy and have a few tidbits to share, so let’s jump right in.

Kickstarter rewards

We’re very happy to announce that we will be sending out a number of rewards to our Kickstarter backers starting this June. Physical rewards that will be going out are the special edition t-shirt and the printed poster. If you’ve changed your address since we collected it some months ago, please update your Kickstarter profile and we will receive notification.

We are also prepping for the “creative” tiers which will involve backer input (name a character, design a puzzle/character, etc). Those of you who are in that category, we’ll be reaching out in June as well.

Other rewards, such as the soundtrack and the artbook (digital or printed), will only be available near or at release of the game itself (for obvious reasons).

The music

Speaking of the music, I thought I’d take a moment to highlight the work that is being done in this department. Since music is the only part of the game that I don’t have a direct hand in producing myself, it’s always very exciting for me to hear the latest amazing track from our super-talented composer Andrea Giachini.

So far, Andrea has already completed several tracks. I’ve been tempted to share one of these tracks here, but my fear is that hearing something now would dilute its impact when you hear it for the first time in-game. In fact, even the names of the tracks themselves collectively reveal a fair bit about the narrative that it supports. I’d be curious to see if any of you have had any experience with this on other Kickstarters.

All in all, the progress on this front has been excellent, and we’re very excited about this aspect of the game. To hear other music composed by Andrea, click here to check out his SoundCloud page.

The prologue

If you’re looking for a clear marker for the progression and realization of the promises behind this project, this news will surely tickle your fancy: the prologue is almost ready for beta testing! As many of you know, a playable prologue was promised as an add-on during our Kickstarter campaign. Although this chapter of the game is an integral part of the full release, this add-on was meant to be not only a reward for those who wanted to play the game early, but also a way for us to gather feedback at a critical juncture in development. Stay tuned for more on that!

Iconography

272f6d74d3ac7d15f30d308143c4b4e5_original.png

And finally, we talk… icons. Yep, those lovely little things we interact with hundreds of times a day without ever noticing. In this case, we got our beloved adventure game interaction icons for point, move, use, talk, and look. It took me a while to land on the design of these, but I’d love to hear your feedback!

With that we close out this latest edition of “what’s new in the world of Detective Di.” Hope to see you next time!

Cheers,
Minh Ta
Lead Designer

Zombra

Patron
... and here's today's secret backer update. Shhh!

Aug 24 2016

Flash Update #1

Okay, so it's been a while since our last big update, so I thought I'd try to simplify things and do a quick "flash" update that will help get everyone back into the loop. Here we go:

Prologue

It's just around the corner! Honestly, we've been working extra hard to get this polished/done. Based on our test playthroughs, I'm happy to say that the prologue alone will be about 1.5 to 2 hours of gameplay time. We're very excited!

Animator Needed

So, part of the reason things slowed down for us was the fact that our main animator could no longer continue on the project. This means I had to take on all the animation duties needed to finish the prologue. In the long-term, we'll definitely need some help. We've been looking via the normal channels, but if anyone here knows a great pixel artist willing to take a chance on a project like this, please let us know (info@nupixo.com).

Physical Rewards

We've starting to send out physical rewards! It's been a bit of a logistical challenge with the packaging and everything else, but we've got everything we need to start shipping. Let the goodies roll out!

That wraps it up for now. Stay tuned!

Minh Ta
Lead Designer

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oy, this looks really cool and i cannot believe it never popped into my radar at all till now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom