Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution Sports Over 9000 lines of Dialogue

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>Actually it sports over 200,000 lines but there is a maxlength limit for the title textbox. In comparison Mass Effect 2 featured merely 31,000 lines of dialogue. <a href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/deus_ex_features_200_000_lines_of_dialogue.html" target="_blank">Read more over at Videogamer</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"The voice recording, with all the characters we have in the game, is just amazing," producer David Anfossi told VideoGamer.com at E3. "We have more than... I think it's more than 200,000 lines."</p>
<p>The first two Deus Ex games, developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos at the turn of the Millenium, were known for their intelligent, carefully-crafted dialogue - as well as for their varied gameplay. According to lead designer Jean-François Dugas, the team at Montreal are now striving to live up to this legacy.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98432-deus-ex-human-revolution-sports-over-200000-lines-of-dialogue.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

ChristofferC

Magister
They should hire 10 minimum wage ppl to write 5 000 000 lines of dialog. The more dialog the merrier, right?

Cenobyte

Prophet
The leaked trailer was already rather disappointing. Also, the sheer amount of dialogues doesn't say anything about its quality.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'll believe that when I see it.
I'm jaded and skeptical at this point, too much so to not think that all this stuff will be conveniently cut from the final game due to time constraints or something like that.
Remember how Bethesda had to do all that damage control interviews right before Oblivion came out because the AI they made broke the game too much and they had to gut it completely?
That could have all been bullshit. Hell for all I know, Valve paid some fag to steal their shit for HL2 because they were so behind on development they needed a reason to stall for more time.

Dny

Educated
I'm pretty sure FF13 has more lines of dialogue than any western RPG.. and it's not any better for it. 200 000 lines of bullshit is still bullshit.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
How many lines were in BG2 or Planescape? Or better... in Deus Ex?

Cassidy

Arcane
Quality is what matters. Everybody knows that. In fact, I'd dare to think that the original Fallout has less dialogue lines than many JRPGs.

Crichton

Prophet
All this "X many lines of dialog" stuff reminds me of Dumas when they were paying him by the sentence;

Porthos has arrived.

Really?

Just so.

You're certain?

Quite.

Should we go to meet him?

Yes.

Tomorrow?

Yes, tomorrow.

Phelot

Arcane
They can have as many lines as they want just make it interesting for God's sake. Enough hyping! FFS FFS

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
ITT: Posers desperately trying to find something wrong with 200,000 lines of dialogue, and failing miserably.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I can see some of those people in this thread who baaaweed at me for criticizing AP (and ME2 too) before its release (except I criticized it based on 20+ previews which "were not enough").
But now that its Square Enix (which isn't TRVE L33T like Obsidian) criticizing before playing it is totally OK.

Codex is indeed a very prestigious place full of intelligent individuals

Phelot

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
ITT: Posers desperately trying to find something wrong with 200,000 lines of dialogue, and failing miserably.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but despite DA claiming however many thousands of lines of dialogue and text it still managed to have mind numbingly boring lines.

So yeah, if they're going to tell me a long winded history of dragons that sounds like a mediocre rip off to every other story behind dragons, then I'll pass regardless of thousands of lines.

So forgive me for not being excited at the prospect of listening to hours upon hours of retarded Matrix style philosophy on computer AIs or whatever the fuck this game wants to be about.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It's one thing to not be excited, but quite another to try to find something negative in such an announcement.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dialog is a tool that shouldn't even be used unless the developers are willing to go the extra mile and put a competent writer in charge of writing it. I would rather play a game with next to no dialog than a game with 200,000 lines of bad dialog.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
MetalCraze said:
bawww... criticizing... baw... criticize... fanboi... rage... bawww... popamole... Obsidian... fanboi... consoletard...
:roll:

Mass Effect 2 may have had only 30,000 "lines" of dialogue, but it had 450,000 words of dialogue (source), which is what I suspect David is talking about here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom