Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

bddevil

Educated
Strangely enough, I'm also one of the people who dusted this off during the lockdown. I remember I really didn't like the tutorial mission so I just shelved it for years.

I agree that it's HR 1.5, I think my main gripe besides the length is ease of access to augs and how everything becomes super easy once you get them. And you can get most things for stealth playthrough in the very first prague timeslice. And that's me without using enemy cone hud, xray vision or invinsibility cheat (really, if you play stealth and use invisibility, youre cheating yourself out of stealth experience).

In HR there were difficult missions where it was tough to get ghost (the escape from the pod thing, library (?) place). It also felt great when you saved praxis to get heavy lifting for example, well by the middle of the game.

MD, if you are explorer + use stealth (whats any other reason to play DE tho ?), all the ways to get to whatever you want are accessible. I'm not sure I dig that. I don't necessarily want to come back to every little thing that was waved under my nose, but the fact that all terminals can be broken with multitool no matter the guards and hacking difficulty, for example, is just dumb. There is a balance between going all metroidvania and full access to almost everything from the get-go.

And while Prague seems like a great hub with nooks and crannies, it's always disheartening when you start sidequests and you realize you've been here before but the trigger wasnt here so you werent able to start that quest. That's always a bad feeling in games like this. Stumbling on a sidequest while exploring is always more exciting and interesting than having to trigger it elsewhere when you already visited a place. And now you see hotspots that magically weren't there before. Or new emails on again-locked computers I've hacked before. Meh.

To top it off, I think what once was good level design, now needs a bit more variation. With games like dishonored, where some levels are works of art in terms of game design perspective, I would like a bit more variation than vent/structural weakness/entry from the roof by jump. Have routes that require multiple different augs to progress. You finding a vent shouldnt automatically mean instant access/success.

Maybe its the nostalgia and bad memory talking, but I think HR was a bit more strict in this sense. I also remember gang territory being tough to sneak into in the first half of the first hub, whereas in Prague you can literally infiltrate everything everywhere on hardest setting with like 10 praxis kits you get in the beginning.

PS: performance and bugs are shit even now.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Allow me to suck this game's dick a little.

A small but cool feature in Mankind Divided that most people probably don't know about is that shops change when the player has broken into them or murdered the owner.

I killed the person at the desk in this vegetarian store. When I returned later, the place was empty and a cop was guarding the door. The store becomes a restricted area and the police will turn hostile accordingly if they see you inside.

CnkYecY.jpg

xvMpzRR.jpg

I broke into the basement of Tech Noir and confiscated some evidence for an ongoing Interpol investigation. When I returned some time later, I saw one of the guards finalizing the installation of a laser alarm system. He forgot to close the door though.

During robbery
IrutMQz.jpg

After robbery
kMJ4iTk.jpg

mUURUCg.jpg

I also adore the amount of hidden items and secret rooms in this game. There are hidden goodies all over. The game's economy isn't tight enough that these resources are needed, but it is very rewarding to snoop around and find a hidden weapon, consumable or credit chip. It shows that the developers put effort into their levels above what you experience when just blindly following the quest marker and doing whatever the game tells you to do.

In addition to the rifle, there's also a hidden button in this room that opens a secret chamber, that took me forever to find.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember finding that rifle. Lots of cool stuff like that in the game. The developers of both really knew what makes an immersive sim good. Even if they didn't always execute perfectly, their love of the genre shows in the games.

bddevil

Educated
I don't know about fucking up vendors. I accidentally picked a fight with the Zelen apartment vendor (the only one who sells praxis kits), area became restricted. So I snuck on him and his bodyguard and put them to deep sleep. A few missions later, I see him alive and well but his bodyguard is still knocked out cold. Area is suddenly friendly. Go figure.

I liked the bit where Walker and his goons come for you after you talk to Helle. My habit of locking doors came in handy. Really enjoyed taking those bastards out after I snuck out the bathroom. Throwing them on the roof through the same bathroom window after felt satisfying.

Also, really liked the cult sidequest. Probably because I did it late in the second visit, when I already have all augs Ill ever need. But then game takes them away and you need to actually use shadows and movable objects to get ghost moving past the turrets. One of the few times you felt challenged when engaging in stealth gameplay.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know about fucking up vendors. I accidentally picked a fight with the Zelen apartment vendor (the only one who sells praxis kits)
It's OK, you're among friends. What did Tars (he's the man, he'll set you up) catch you stealing?

area became restricted. So I snuck on him and his bodyguard and put them to deep sleep. A few missions later, I see him alive and well but his bodyguard is still knocked out cold. Area is suddenly friendly. Go figure.
I know there's a bug where vendors reset their dialogue after starting a new act, and greet you like they've never met you before. So who knows if there are more bugs related to the changing of acts.
But I think this could be intended behavior, for Tars at least. I have not tried it myself, but I could see how vendor hostility could be dropped between acts to be more forgiving for the player (and reward the player for not murdering the vendor if they got into a fight with them).
If this is intended behavior, they probably just forgot to revive the bodyguards along with Tars.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I put this off because of gay nerds whinging. I really shouldn't have; its a good game. Whats not good about this is it is very obviously a console port.

JDR13

Arcane
Lame ending aside, I thought it was better than HR in almost every way. Prague actually feels like a real city at times and was fun to explore. By comparison, the locations in HR felt more like a series of corridors to me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Lame ending aside, I thought it was better than HR in almost every way. Prague actually feels like a real city at times and was fun to explore. By comparison, the locations in HR felt more like a series of corridors to me.

Prague is definitely a better city hub, for sure. Sucks there's only one, but when it's that fleshed out it's hard to complain too much. I think HR has better mission maps though, mostly. Though my perspective might be skewed from playing through HR like 3 or 4 times and only playing MD once. I'll rectify that soon.

bddevil

Educated
I don't know about fucking up vendors. I accidentally picked a fight with the Zelen apartment vendor (the only one who sells praxis kits)
It's OK, you're among friends. What did Tars (he's the man, he'll set you up) catch you stealing?

area became restricted. So I snuck on him and his bodyguard and put them to deep sleep. A few missions later, I see him alive and well but his bodyguard is still knocked out cold. Area is suddenly friendly. Go figure.
I know there's a bug where vendors reset their dialogue after starting a new act, and greet you like they've never met you before. So who knows if there are more bugs related to the changing of acts.
But I think this could be intended behavior, for Tars at least. I have not tried it myself, but I could see how vendor hostility could be dropped between acts to be more forgiving for the player (and reward the player for not murdering the vendor if they got into a fight with them).
If this is intended behavior, they probably just forgot to revive the bodyguards along with Tars.
It's a funny story. I bought the second praxis kit from him on second Prague visit. Then to celebrate the said fact, I picked up a beer and a credit chip that was on top of one of the crates. I'm one of those players who pick up everything on a reflex.
He got hostile then and can't buy anything from him anymore.

I was like, ok, shit...my bad, I'll just reload and... he did not have praxis kit in his inventory after that. This was head-scratching (bug, I assume ?) and I decided to roll with the first timeline.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Can someone confirm that the GOG version doesn't run malware DRM code?
It shouldn't ('cause GOG) but I've seen claims to the contrary.

(purchase button primed and standing by)
Turns out this might not be the case. I have just tested it and reported on the GOG forums as well https://af.gog.com/forum/deus_ex_ma...ng_the_outfitweapon_dlcs/post40?as=1649904300

I have tested installing the game through the offline installer and through galaxy, with the same outcome.

Launching the game directly without Galaxy results in the DLC being unavailable with an Unknown next to to them. On the attached screenshot you can clearly see the message as well as "Connection Failed: Square Enix servers are currently unavailable. Try again later.". However, launching the game through Galaxy with an active internet connection gets the DLC working. I have also tested blocking the executable in my firewall, which breaks the DLC as well with or without launching through Galaxy.

This is what I have tested, using either the offline installer or installing the game through Galaxy (in the case of the offline installer, I had imported the installation folder with Galaxy to test when using Galaxy).

1) Launching without Galaxy and blocked the game executable through my firewall: DLC does not work;
2) Launching without Galaxy and allowed the game executable through my firewall: DLC does not work;
3) Launching with Galaxy and blocked the game executable through my firewall: DLC does not work;
4) Launching with Galaxy and allowed the game executable through my firewall: DLC works.

So there is only one condition on which the DLC works, and that is when using Galaxy and letting the game contact the Square Enix servers, otherwise no deal. This is DRM.

LPmmjKE.jpg

God damn GOG. They have been shoving this Galaxy crap as a requirement for a while now, delaying the offline installers releases while new patches arrive instantly through Galaxy. How is this crap any different from Steam? It requires an active internet connection and launching the game through Galaxy to make it work. Total :decline:. I guess I will be testing their 30 day refund policy for the first time.

Edit: just found this, as pointed by another user at that GOG thread:

The first GOG game ever cracked. Just great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This is legit outrageous. What the fuck. Gonna get a refund too and acquire the new FG repack instead just kidding.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is outrageous and needs to be fixed, but I'm sure GOG will fix it. It's not like the Securom remnants in FEAR that did nothing and could be ignored, it's actual DRM which goes against GOG's stated ethos and promise. So they'll have to fix it (or offer refunds).

racofer

Thread Incliner
Upon further investigation, the DLC requires Galaxy to be running for them to work. If you follow that thread, I and another user have tested that unplugging the network cable while having Galaxy running gets the DLC going. Still, it should work 100% regardless of using Galaxy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is outrageous for real, considering why you buy on GoG. Why would I leave Steam for another client? Point is having none of that shit interfering. That has to be fixed.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is outrageous for real, considering why you buy on GoG. Why would I leave Steam for another client? Point is having none of that shit interfering. That has to be fixed.

Yep. Only reason I buy everything I can on GOG is for offline installers I could use on a legacy machine someday. Take that away, GOG has no point.

Gargaune

Magister
Well, shit. I already had the base game on Steam but I picked up the Deluxe on that rock-bottom sale on GOG precisely because I figured I might as well get the DLC missions and not have to bother with an online client. Hope GOG fix this in the next few days, otherwise I might just have to do my first refund as well.

Vorark

Erudite
God damn GOG. They have been shoving this Galaxy crap as a requirement for a while now, delaying the offline installers releases while new patches arrive instantly through Galaxy. How is this crap any different from Steam? It requires an active internet connection and launching the game through Galaxy to make it work. Total :decline:. I guess I will be testing their 30 day refund policy for the first time.

Galaxy interfering with the offline installers isn't a first, sadly. Check out this 2017 post about Fallout New Vegas: a Galaxy component silently tried to do a DNS look up, failed and rendered the game unplayable, as in "unable to run".

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Major decline. Who were the fuckers here that said not to worry about Galaxy?

I'm sure it's an error. The whole point of GOG is DRM free, they even run a site called "fuck DRM." They're supposedly working from home now. I'd give them some time to fix it before jumping to conclusions.

Modron

Arcane
They also used to be against DLC and only wanted complete versions on their store. Times change decline and they have dlc and have had games with drm in them already if I recall correctly.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They also used to be against DLC and only wanted complete versions on their store. Times change decline and they have dlc and have had games with drm in them already if I recall correctly.

They didn't use to sell many new release games, if any. Would you rather they not sell newer games until a year later when a collected version is out? Fuck that.

They have not sold any singleplayer games with DRM, it goes against the whole concept of the site. Some people freak out when temporary issues like this arise, or when there's a leftover dormant file or whatever, but all their singleplayer games have DRM free offline installers. They do have some games that require Galaxy for multiplayer (and others where multiplayer is removed), but that's not what we're talking about here. Look... if Deus Ex 4 requires Galaxy to use the DLC then I'll be the first to scream about it, but there's no reason as of now to think it's anything but an oversight. If pirates can remove the requirement in a day why the fuck would GOG risk their entire business model not doing the same thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom