Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

DraQ

Arcane
The real CRIME of HR/MD weapons is the visual design which makes them look like they're from the year 2100 or something.
Not sure if serious.
Nu-Deus' art direction is one of the few areas where it shits on the original from great height (and it's not like original was bad in that regard, just pretty generic).

:lol:
It's also pretty nonsensical - why would ending someone's life make more noise than knocking them out? They can't make noise anymore, they're dead! If it was reversed, then the higher XP reward for non-lethal takedowns would be earned.
THIS.

Other than that there shouldn't be takedown XP in the first place.
The consequences should be narrative, like in DX1, and where appropriate full ghost mode without KO/killing anyone (or destroying environment - basically, leave no evidence of intrusion) should be an optional goal with it's own consequences (or lack of thereof).

True. I tested the lethal counterpart, the Nanoblade cannon (or whatever it's called) and I really didn't see the point of it. It's lethal, doesn't auto-aim, cannot multi-shoot, and I think it even makes noise.
Shouldn't massive electric ZAP! make a lot of noise AND flash?

You actually can put a silencer on the shotgun in this game.
:what:

Silly Germans

Shotgun silencers do exist and work. That is nothing far fetched, even some Rainbow Six games had them,
and that was a long time ago.

DraQ

Arcane
Shotgun silencers do exist and work. That is nothing far fetched, even some Rainbow Six games had them,
and that was a long time ago.
Intredasting.

And better than putting silencer on a supersonic sniper rifle I suppose.
Or having compact assault rifle firing 7.62mm NATO round do piddling damage.

Neat.

It's also always pretty cool to witness real silencers suppressors only reduce the noise from REALLY FUCKING LOUD! to just PRETTY FUCKING LOUD instead of Hollywood silencers going from PRETTY FUCKING LOUD to whisper quiet (ok they are some exceptions, but those tend to be specialized guns firing specialized ammo and fitted with specifically designed suppressors).

Danikas

Arcane
It's also always pretty cool to witness real silencers suppressors only reduce the noise from REALLY FUCKING LOUD! to just PRETTY FUCKING LOUD instead of Hollywood silencers going from PRETTY FUCKING LOUD to whisper quiet (ok they are some exceptions, but those tend to be specialized guns firing specialized ammo and fitted with specifically designed suppressors).
Ye this would never work indoors.

DraQ

Arcane
Ye this would never work indoors.
Maybe it's just me living in Yurop, but two things that surprised me when I first went to a shooting range were recoil being much weaker than I expected (granted, I wasn't firing particularly powerful rounds there) and guns being REALLY FUCKING LOUD! compared to any and all popular depictions.

Nito

Educated
Patron
The thing about the silencer/suppressor argument is that people expect suppressors to do things that they can't do (make high velocity ammunition completely silent), but then also rule out near-silent weapons from existing as well (they do).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure if serious.
Nu-Deus' art direction is one of the few areas where it shits on the original from great height (and it's not like original was bad in that regard, just pretty generic).
I know nothing of weapons, other than from looking at newsphotos of American soldiers through the ages. Also, this is a minor complaint since I don't think they're ugly.

But in this layman's eyes, the weapons in nu-DX look off. They look slightly alien, something I could see the military use in a century but not in 10 years. I think the futuristic designs are best left for the sci-fi stuff like superhuman robot limbs (but to be fair, the original game is also guilty of this, but less so since it's set further into the future).

trong-kim-nguyen-d66620b16928acc322a7a50d4354f2b8.jpg

THIS.

Other than that there shouldn't be takedown XP in the first place.
The consequences should be narrative, like in DX1, and where appropriate full ghost mode without KO/killing anyone (or destroying environment - basically, leave no evidence of intrusion) should be an optional goal with it's own consequences (or lack of thereof).
Based. I find XP in video games overall to be arbitrary and superfluous when different routes and choices already give different gameplay scenarios and items. I don't hack a safe to get stronger, I hack it to get the contents. I wouldn't mind if a set amount of Praxis Points were awarded throughout the storyline at specific stages - the only time I notice or care that I get XP is when it's a huge dump that causes me to level up anyway.

I think balancing XP gains for different playstyles is a waste of time that should have been better spent balancing the different challenges, items you get, abilities you unlock and most importantly making the choices you make in the story feel like they matter and have an effect. (And by balance I mean making them all feel fun and different.)

Shouldn't massive electric ZAP! make a lot of noise AND flash?
No you see it's non-lethal so it's silent and invisible, and even God prefers it and gives you more XP.

Learned
The real CRIME of HR/MD weapons is the visual design which makes them look like they're from the year 2100 or something.

And not just the weapons.

It's so obvious that Eidos Montréal wanted to utilize a far future setting, but got stuck with Deus Ex prequels and used some of their ideas anyway. A double decker city in 2020's?

To nobody's surprise, Invisible War's post-collapse designs are also guilty of this.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It'll be easier for you if you think of near future/modern day sci-fi works as being set in alternate universes, not our world.

DraQ

Arcane

And not just the weapons.

It's so obvious that Eidos Montréal wanted to utilize a far future setting, but got stuck with Deus Ex prequels and used some of their ideas anyway. A double decker city in 2020's?

To nobody's surprise, Invisible War's post-collapse designs are also guilty of this.
IW is turds, though, so nobody cares.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Not sure if serious.
My problem with it is that it's not Deus Ex, and it's probably not trying to be. It's much cleaner, slicker and more stylized overall, outright extravagant compared to the more grounded, gritty look of DX. I would've liked to see them go for the "box of bolts" school of aug design among other things, since it's supposed to be a prequel and all, but obviously they wanted to go for something completely different.

This video sums it up pretty well (linked to the relevant part):

The rest of it is excellent as well, although it barely even mentions the gameplay (and is wrong about it) and focuses more on the setting. Oh, and that small bit about The Matrix is probably wrong too.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not sure if serious.
My problem with it is that it's not Deus Ex, and it's probably not trying to be. It's much cleaner, slicker and more stylized overall, outright extravagant compared to the more grounded, gritty look of DX. I would've liked to see them go for the "box of bolts" school of aug design among other things, since it's supposed to be a prequel and all, but obviously they wanted to go for something completely different.

This video sums it up pretty well (linked to the relevant part):

The rest of it is excellent as well, although it barely even mentions the gameplay (and is wrong about it) and focuses more on the setting. Oh, and that small bit about The Matrix is probably wrong too.

I did like the looks in DXHR,its problem was the level design and the retarded more XP for knocking offs over kills. The hubs and the looks very really good,the rest was mediocre.....also those fucking boxes in every single room in every single level.

Wunderbar

Arcane
But in this layman's eyes, the weapons in nu-DX look off. They look slightly alien, something I could see the military use in a century but not in 10 years. I think the futuristic designs are best left for the sci-fi stuff like superhuman robot limbs (but to be fair, the original game is also guilty of this, but less so since it's set further into the future).
i agree that DXHR and DXMD weapons look more futuristic than original DX weapons, but most of them are based on real life designs.

0N83IOU.jpg

u3wU03t.jpg

Q5Leg8s.jpg

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Too bad I cannot edit my review like you can do it on Steam.

UYV4n9C.jpg

I would like to at least append a note saying this has been fixed. Not to mention fixing the shitty grammar.

Athos

Arcane
the more grounded, gritty look of DX
Looking at the few concept art sketches available for the first Deus Ex I wonder how much of that grounded, gritty look is due to the minecraft graphics they had to use.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Looking at the few concept art sketches available for the first Deus Ex I wonder how much of that grounded, gritty look is due to the minecraft graphics they had to use.
A part of it, for sure. Still, the contrast between DX and HR is obvious. DX did have its futuristic-looking areas too, but no amount of polygons is going to turn Gunther into a supermodel or Hell's Kitchen into Hengsha.

I also admit being biased in these sorts of things.

Learned
Nano-augmentations, universal constructors and laser swords in 2050? What a load of crap.

They took liberties to write a shitty dystopian 2050 in late 90's. Is it really comparable with 2020's depicted in HR written in late aughts (possibly until 2011)?

In the end, this is a version of the real world and not the real world as Nano said. So there may be quick leaps and equally quick declines I guess.

Citizen

Got hooman revolution on gog and I just can't get into it :cry: Hiding behind boxes ala console cover shooters is terrible. Tried to go full stealth and, surprise-surprise, you also need to hide behind boxes to stealth properly. Is DXMD the same or closer to the original DX?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Got hooman revolution on gog and I just can't get into it :cry: Hiding behind boxes ala console cover shooters is terrible. Tried to go full stealth and, surprise-surprise, you also need to hide behind boxes to stealth properly. Is DXMD the same or closer to the original DX?
Unbind the cover button.

Mankind Divided is largely the same but with less formulaic level design.

Citizen

Unbind the cover button.

Would it still be playable? I started on hard and it seemed like not using a cover button results in enemies detecting you much easier even when you are hiding behind objects

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom