Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Raskens

Learned
Patron
I have no idea how people can say HR or MD's levels are linear, there are a bajillion ways to go through them. If by "linear" you mean you have to go to a specific point on the map, then yes, but that's also true of Deus Ex 1. That's hardly linearity.

I think people are saying that the levels are more like a rectangle. In other words, the levels are linear (in order to get point B you have to pass through point A) but you can also take the left path, the right path, upper path etc. However, the level design always shuffles you forward, which is different from a sandbox level. The original had this also on some levels/missions, but there were almost always a more sandbox part of the level. In addition, DX1 also had levels that were closer to a pure sandbox level like the Vandenberg mission.

TwoEdge

Scholar
I'm starting a playthrough of MD to wash away the bad taste Cyberpunk left, but I'd like to tweak it so the xp doesn't force me into a particular playstyle, limit the number of praxis kits and increase difficulty overall. I found this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/deusexmankinddivided/mods/6 which seems to do just that, but also make the inventory fiddlier, which I don't like. Does anyone here have experience with it?

Raskens

Learned
Patron
I've only played the directors cut version of HR and I see alot of people saying it's inferior to the original version. Why? Isn't the boss fights retarded in the original?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Who the fuck are these mongoloids playing Deus Ex games and not obsessively combing over every environment for details, side objectives, and items? Playing the game without doing side content, as if that is something to even consider!
I'm calling the government, some of you are getting your gamer licenses revoked.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've only played the directors cut version of HR and I see alot of people saying it's inferior to the original version. Why? Isn't the boss fights retarded in the original?
The one huge difference is that it integrates the DLC into the main game, which kinda "imbalances" late-game. I wouldn't say that's a problem because you are grotesquely overpowered either way. You just don't have the possibility of skipping the DLC if you don't want to play it, which might be an issue, I guess. Other than that, people say the textures are a bit inferior because it's a Wii U port or something, and the piss filter is missing, but you can bring it back with mods. The boss fights aren't reworked per se, they just have an added non-combat way to resolve them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I played the Desperate Measures scenario. It was fine. It doesn't really feel ripped from the main game because you don't get any kind of important information. Yeah, sure, you find out the name of the guy who put the bomb in the train station, but he was forced to do it and is already dead afaik. He doesn't even appear in the main game apart from literally 3 seconds at the very start.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
However, I haven't played the DLC, because I was very underwhelmed by the main game. They could stretch play time to 30 hours, perhaps?

My first (and only) playthrough was 45 hours or so. Finished off at 57 hours after all the DLC, according to Steam. Obviously this depends on your playstyle, I am very slow and stealthy, but the idea the game is "short" is pretty silly.

The one huge difference is that it integrates the DLC into the main game, which kinda "imbalances" late-game. I wouldn't say that's a problem because you are grotesquely overpowered either way. You just don't have the possibility of skipping the DLC if you don't want to play it, which might be an issue, I guess. Other than that, people say the textures are a bit inferior because it's a Wii U port or something, and the piss filter is missing, but you can bring it back with mods. The boss fights aren't reworked per se, they just have an added non-combat way to resolve them.

It's also pretty common to hear that the DC stutters when loading/streaming content too, which was also my experience. But yeah mainly it can be summed up as the DC looking worse and having DLC content that breaks the balance and flow of the game. Not just the big Missing Link thing at the end, but stuff like a silenced sniper rifle that breaks the game entirely that you can find in the first real mission.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can't someone mod a "skip DLC?" prompt before getting in that fridge? It sounds like an easy thing to do, but I have no idea how modding works. I wouldn't skip it, though, it's a good mission with a proper boss fight. Like I said, you are already freakishly overpowered by that point, so those extra praxis kits go to unused augments. As for it looking worse, I googled some comparison pics, and it's actually true (sometimes). The DC looks a bit flat and more pixel-y compared to non-DC, but I don't know if that's got to do with the piss filter or just overall textures.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't someone mod a "skip DLC?" prompt before getting in that fridge? It sounds like an easy thing to do, but I have no idea how modding works. I wouldn't skip it, though, it's a good mission with a proper boss fight. Like I said, you are already freakishly overpowered by that point, so those extra praxis kits go to unused augments. As for it looking worse, I googled some comparison pics, and it's actually true (sometimes). The DC looks a bit flat and more pixel-y compared to non-DC, but I don't know if that's got to do with the piss filter or just overall textures.

It's based on a downgraded WiiU version, so it's not just the color changes. There's lots of little downgrades. I think Missing Link being there is bad whether you care about balancing at that point or not, just for pacing reasons, but if you really like doing it there you could always save and quit the main game and play the DLC then, before finishing the main game. Anyway, it's more the cheat item DLCs that I think break game balance. The game was not designed around you having a silenced sniper rifle from the start, that's why it has a loud as fuck sniper rifle and a quiet crossbow thing. Also wasn't designed around auto-unlockers which ruin the balancing of hacking skill points.

Anyway... this is a repetitive thing and people either agree or they don't. The original version can still be had at some key shops I believe, so no one is forced to do one or the other as far as I know.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why do you want Walton to have a miles long health bar?
Wanting a less disappointing boss battle =/= wanting HP bloat.

The "boss battle" consisted of me cloaking after the cutscene, upon which he ran up to me and stood there staring me in the face, after which I swatted him once with the sword and killed him. It didn't feel like I had outsmarted him to get close and cut through his defenses or anything like that. It just felt stupid, made him look like a pushover, and was disappointing after his arrival to the ocean lab had been hyped up by him taunting you over the radio.

Turning him into a HP sponge wouldn't have fixed the underlying problems of his poor AI, the flat and boring ambush spot, or how he starts so close to you (with his AoE Plasma Rifle, he would have been real scary if he had started in an elevated position).

You're a freaking super-cyborg too - what makes him so superior?
Newer firmware? :positive:

If you want to have a 'Bossfight' in a DX game at all: the one in the 'Missing Link' isn't bad - make a level out of it.
You mean the sniper guy in one of the bays? That one was indeed pretty good, it was clear that the designer had put some thought into the encounter.

However, I haven't played the DLC, because I was very underwhelmed by the main game. They could stretch play time to 30 hours, perhaps?

My first (and only) playthrough was 45 hours or so. Finished off at 57 hours after all the DLC, according to Steam. Obviously this depends on your playstyle, I am very slow and stealthy, but the idea the game is "short" is pretty silly.
I did a full guns blazing run, because I am not really a stealth fag, so that is certainly why I got through so quick.

All said, I still think it is a very short - and pretty underwhelming to be honest. Deus Ex and Human Revolution are substantially better games.

Old Hans

Arcane
it's a port of the Nintendo switch version. original version is much better

Lacrymas

Arcane
133575441_3870556769621049_794473117733088139_n.png
The first newspaper in Deus Ex 1 is more insightful than the entirety of HR or MD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All said, I still think it is a very short - and pretty underwhelming to be honest. Deus Ex and Human Revolution are substantially better games.

I liked those two better as well, the first one by a lot obviously. I don't think this one is very far behind HR though really. Has a couple things that are better, a couple things that are worse, with its main issue being the story. I only played it through once though, compared to 3-4 times for HR, so maybe that view will change over time.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Saying that Mankind Divided is short is a litmus test for proving you are a fucking imbecile. Seriously. It also proves that you are the typical love-me-some-handholding retard. Many retards claim that games with quest markers/compasses are "dumbed down" and handholding but apparently whenever you play such a game you can't resist at following the marker 100% of the time and bee-lining the main story ignoring anything else. Then you complain it was short, lol. You also can't resist playing an immersive sim like it was your average doom-clone then complain it had "bad stealth". Basically, you suck and blame the game instead of yourself. Happens all the time, that is why the industry is in such a shitty state at the moment, too many imbeciles and not many connoiseurs.

No, MD is not short, in fact, if you actually play the game properly, explore, try a stealth approach, do the side missions which are really quality, the game can easily last you 40 hours. And those are 40 quality hours, not grinding shit.

People like you are the reason the Jensen trilogy was never completed and instead we got an Avengers game. Fucking retards. Shut your fucking mouth and go back playing Fortnite with your wives' boyfriends.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Jensen trilogy was never completed because square enix are a bunch of retards.

This is a half truth. Yes SE shares a lot of the blame for MD's failure but the game was still a gem, it just failed to sell enough to warrant the sequel in the shareholders' eyes. And it failed to sell because all the youtube influencers/ chronic masturbators/ internet outrage industry and all the "cool kids" in sites like this blew the "downsides" way out of proportion and complained about non-issues like bying praxis points with money instead of appreciating the game itself. Yet you see the same people praising other garbage games that are way worse in terms of consumer friendliness and also way worse as video games. That got you cyberpunk, idiots. Hope you are happy now.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Buying Praxis kits with real money is a douche move, though.

I didn't like it, but like Rean said, you didn't have to do it. In fact, i was very surprised at how hidden the ability to purchase them was. They didn't shove it in your face like in most microtransactional games, Creed Odyssey for example. Most of the time i didn't even know you could do it, really. And the game offered more than enough Praxis points to make a cool build to use without ever buying them with real money. Also, if you played a New Game +, you could carry over the praxis points in the new play through and earn new ones, potentially unlocking everything anyway. So it really was a non-issue.

I can understand that people complained about buying character upgrades with money as a concept. I really do. And obviously if it had succeeded Square would have taken it to a new extreme in the sequel. I get that people wanted to make a point. But they still took it too far and complained about the GOTY of 2016 so much that we never got the planned sequel to complete the story.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Mmm, I doubt it's because of that. Squeenix wanted it to sell 3 million copies and turn it into a mainstream franchise. That is unrealistic expectations. As for the Praxis kits, it's the principle that counts. It didn't affect your gameplay in any way, which is the one silver lining, but that doesn't mean it isn't a douche move. The justification of "fools are easily parted with their money" doesn't fly with me.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The microtransactions give us a glimpse of a dystopian future, but in practice they're not only completely avoidable but hidden away in menus as well. You don't even think about their existance while playing.

It's good that the outrage sends a message to publishers/developers, but bad that it overshadows a great game.

lightbane

Arcane
Newer firmware?
IIRC, if you DO NOT kill him/sneak past him after the first encounter, you do fight him again later and he's much more dangerous then (more space to use his AOE rifle, for example). Unfortunately for him, by then you're even more well-armed than the first encounter, so he still goes down easily. He does have some cool new dialogue though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom