Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Vatnik Wumao
More like take-downs are overpowered and work on almost every enemy. In OG DX, you would get the MIB where using melee was effectively suicide.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's been a while since I played the new DEs but didn't they massively improve the energy situation in MD? I agree it was a silly system, why not just use batteries like in the original.
Not sure I follow, MD does have bioelectric cells. It is more casual, you do have a minimum amount of energy that automatically regenerates without consumables so you can suck your thumb for a bit between free takedowns, but if you wanna top up all the way you gotta use cells.

Don't they use energy mars bars in MD too? Like I said it's a while since I've played, I might have misremembered.

The auto regen is what I was referring to when I said "improved in MD".

Gargaune

Magister
Don't they use energy mars bars in MD too? Like I said it's a while since I've played, I might have misremembered.
If you mean visually, they're not circular like the ones in the original DX, but they're still clearly designed and described as batteries in MD. I don't remember much about HR.

Edit: Fuck this .webp horseshit, can't even paste an image anymore. RPGs aren't the only thing declining these days.

You can cattle prod them from behind and it stops them from blowing up.
Technically, the baton also works. If you can spare the inventory space and feel like saving on Prod batteries, you could even tase them once to "get their attention" and then pacify the ever-loving fuck out of them with the stick, though you'd be pressed for time.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, they are bio-energy cells as far as I remember, i.e. they aren't literally protein bars like in HR.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you get more XP for going down the non-violent route?. I started the game off thinking "This is great, at least I get to skewer some kebabs". And now they're penalizing me for being a violent rayciss?. I suppose it makes sense to morons that you get more XP in life for being a "merciful soul'.

Stupid fucking French librul frogs.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
When they say the game is 'an open sandbox' does that mean I can go around getting XP for enemies that generate within the sandbox?. Because constatnly trying to get the double dip twosome takedows for XP is getting tiresome. I mean throwing buckets at enemies' heads repeatedly in the hope of herding them to one place to get a double takedown with the guy next to them (who seems to be completely oblivious) is just too infuriating to continue doing.

I don't remember it being this retarded in the first game. Even the noisemaker arrows in Thief2 were simple for the AI to follow. I know there's an argument for making the game too easy, but having shit AI enemies that don't know you just shoved a traffic cone up their asses isn't a fix.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So you get more XP for going down the non-violent route?. I started the game off thinking "This is great, at least I get to skewer some kebabs". And now they're penalizing me for being a violent rayciss?. I suppose it makes sense to morons that you get more XP in life for being a "merciful soul'.

Oh you could take them down and then shoot them in the head. That is what i was doing to any augmented retard.
:smug:
The ending was the best part,i just whopped the enemy's ass all the way,and then decided to go to the local shop for coffee while waiting for the quest time to expire and the EU politicians to die miserably from poison. Shame i couldn't kill the whiny jogger bitch :(.

Cross

Arcane
More like take-downs are overpowered and work on almost every enemy. In OG DX, you would get the MIB where using melee was effectively suicide.
That's not the only reason why takedowns in the new Deus Ex games are so overpowered. It's because you don't have to expend any effort to sneak up on the enemy, you can just hide behind cover and press the takedown button whenever an enemy is in the general vicinity and Jensen will teleport in place to perform the takedown. You are also invulnerable and can't be attacked while the takedown plays out. It gets even more absurd with the ability to perform double takedowns.

Contrast with OG Deus Ex, where nothing is automated and the enemy you're sneaking up on (or any surrounding enemies) can turn around and attack while you're trying to get in position for the takedown, and even the takedown itself can miss since it's a manual action, not a cutscene.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Knockout with Blackjack only works from behind unnoticed.

And there was some guard in some mission (Thief 2), that was immune to it - when I used BJ, guard's head emitted loud metallic noise. :lol:
That was fun.

You can cattle prod them from behind and it stops them from blowing up.

I think shotgun with rubber bullets also exist for that or am I remmeber it wrong? At least GMDX have that.

I played GMDX none-lethal way - that was very fun.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Contrast with OG Deus Ex, where nothing is automated and the enemy you're sneaking up on (or any surrounding enemies) can turn around and attack while you're trying to get in position for the takedown, and even the takedown itself can miss since it's a manual action, not a cutscene.

You sneak upon the enemy, shoot him with the tranq dart, then proceed to run away while he chases and shoots you before finally passing away. Alternately, chase the enemy hitting him with your crowbar as he runs backwards while shooting you in the face.

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

Cross

Arcane

You sneak upon the enemy, shoot him with the tranq dart, then proceed to run away while he chases and shoots you before finally passing away.
Tranq darts in OG Deus are exceedingly rare and as you point out, they take time to kick in, during which enemies can attack you and alert other enemies.

Alternately, chase the enemy hitting him with your crowbar as he runs backwards while shooting you in the face.
Thanks for proving my point. A failed takedown can result in an enemy being alerted and shooting you in your face. In the newer games that can't happen, takedowns are always executed flawlessly.

Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
It's not nostalgia to point that OG Deus Ex's stealth gameplay, while flawed, is much more engaging than the insta-win button that passes for stealth gameplay in the newer games.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
It's not nostalgia to point that OG Deus Ex's stealth gameplay, while flawed, is much more engaging than the insta-win button that passes for stealth gameplay in the newer games.
I think we might be splitting a few too many hairs here. I agree that DX's stealth was more demanding and compelling, but I wouldn't use the word "much" with either. DX1 has a better resource cost, was more challenging on the approach and didn't treat you to "I win" mini-cutscenes, but on the other hand, DX4's AI isn't as quick to forget you went up a vent shaft and will even lob the odd grenade in after you. Aside from resource management, I don't think they're that far apart, though.

Actually, the thing I'd want most for DX4's stealth would be first-person cover. You know, since I can't have leaning.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Then stop doing it!

I couldn't resist to do that in DXHR, but coudn't force myself to do it at DXMD. It's the only time I could say - luckily I got old.

Tranq darts in OG Deus are exceedingly rare and as you point out, they take time to kick in, during which enemies can attack you and alert other enemies.

Arn't headshot with tq darts faster to sleep them?

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Uninstalled. Several reasons: game makes me nauseous because of the film grain effect that can't be turned off. It's also poorly made e.g. I can't get takedows on enemies that are leaning against walls. Enemy line of sight is fucked: I can creep around them crouched waving my arms like an autist but other times they see me instantly when I'm at 150 degrees to them. Reminded me of broken stealth in vanilla Skyrim.

So enemy AI is garbage and only a "challenge" because of how broken it is. E.g. The ambush at the beginning with the singh guy; I just breezed through all of the enemies with one takedown after another and didn't get spotted once. When they were teleporting all over the place and moving around like army ants, then I died with a shotgun to the face when I was clicking like a retard at the library section trying to get a takedown on a guy leaning against the wall and he spotted me at 150 degrees to him...???...WTF???.

The story is boring. There's too much dialogue. There's these long drawn out fucking cutscenes that can't be skipped. I'm just assuming it's the film grain that makes me nauseous, could be the FOV.

Constatnly amazes me that these high profile games can be made with such glaring faults. Don't understand why you just can't turn film grain off. Some frog developer asshole sitting there thinking: "I amm an arqtist and the plebs will apprrchqiate my arqt withe this grainyye effect".

Not even worth the sale price I got it for. 2/10.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There's no film grain in the game. There is an aggressive sharpening filter that can make things look weird, maybe that's what you're seeing. It can be turned off.
Cutscenes can be skipped, except for the level loading cutscenes like the police checkpoints.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I've turned everything off and I've run the game on high and ultra high. In both cases the black dots (generally referred to as film grain, but whatever the technical term is) is still there. There's multiple threads all over the internet with people bitching about this to a greater degree than I am, and they all seem to agree that it can't be turned off.

I've found the esc > skip part of the game. But it still plays like an interactive film with long drawn out dialogue that's boring. The point being that it forces you to sit through it the first time as you don't know when you'll have control again, and whether you'll be in a dangerous situation. So getting up to make a cup of tea is out of the question. If it was a loading bar at leat I'd have an idea of how long it would take.

But that's just splitting hairs. If the sharpening effect / film grain could be turned off, I'd like to know how, because as I say, I've turned every graphical setting off and on and specifically the sharpening - from reading other threads.

Zer0wing

Cipher

That was the very first improvement from HR to notice in DXMD - the game equality rewards both violent and non-violent options. Your kebab grilling skills were obviously lacking for the game to be noticed. Go die in a dumpster set on fire, retard.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

That was the very first improvement from HR to notice in DXMD - the game equality rewards both violent and non-violent options. Your kebab grilling skills were obviously lacking for the game to be noticed. Go die in a dumpster set on fire, retard.

'Merciful soul' bonus for a total of 110XP per enemy:

Merciful-Soul.png

While the lethal route only gives you 'Trooper' & 'Expediant':

Expediant-Soul.png

So in the interest of actual conversation: what do you mean?.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Not enough awesome button augs used on multiple enemies/awesome button takedowns, not enough head and limb shots, you're not letheal stealther. Nonlethal is an easy mode. It's still stupid of you not to notice that HR doesn't give as much lethal XP per encounter as DXMD does.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Not enough awesome button augs used on multiple enemies/awesome button takedowns, not enough head and limb shots, you're not letheal stealther. Nonlethal is an easy mode. It's still stupid of you not to notice that HR doesn't give as much lethal XP per encounter as DXMD does.

I don't understand you. I started the game and performed a double takedown on the first two enemies encountered. The first screenshot was a non-lethal double takedown, and the second was a lethal double takedown. The XP was greater in the first screenshot and less in the second.

Which was in line with the statement I made that the devs reward non lethal gameplay.

So what am I missing?.

Also: you seem to be changing the goal posts and talking about HR??? Last time I checked this was the Mankind Divided thread, and my post didn't mention HR at all. ???.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom