Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

ADL

Prophet
Jason Schreier is saying don't expect a new Deus Ex anytime soon because Eidos Montreal is working on a new IP. Dragon Age 4 is supposed to release next year and I'd imagine Mass Effect 5 will be done in 2024-2025. Writers tend to float around. She could easily do her thing at Bioware and be back in time for Deus Ex 5's pitch.

I just hope when it happens, it's a conclusion to the Jensen trilogy because there's a lot of cool unresolved shit from Mankind Divided that deserves a payoff.

J1M

Arcane
sadly we dont get such views in-game
Golem City should have been a game unto itself, if not an expansion at the very least.
True. Great setting for a game, maybe a bit more grounded and subtle one.

The internet phenomenon: somebody will claim something that's pretty fucking obvious, e.g. the sky is blue. Immediately someone will show up and find some autistic examples of how if you stand at this exact location at this exact time and imbibe this amount of alcohol up your ass or whatever, the sky will be red.

Yes, if you try really hard, you can find a few examples in Mankind Divided where the conversation isn't about the augmented debate. But juxtaposed against a 40-60 hour long game's worth of dialogue, those exceptions just prove the rule.
The mistreatment of the augumented is a big theme of the game. Its ok to dislike that, not everyone will like that or be able to look past that.

Another thing is to claim that:
1)the handling of that theme is overblown, makes in-game world not believable
2)there is too much focus on that specific theme, to the detriment of the game

Those two I think are incorrect. Its not difficult to find examples of quests and story arcs that are about something different. And ingame attitudes are proportional to the weight of the events that sparked them.
Wrong. The entire environment and context for all of the scenery changes are Aug rights related.

Both of those points were true even before DXHR ended. They tried to take one idea and stretch it out into the plot for three games.

In contrast, Deus Ex basically hits you with a different conspiracy in every mission.

J1M

Arcane
It's also, I think, explicitly bad news for Deus Ex. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided both have great quests, particularly side quests, and some great characters, for which DeMarle deserves at least partial credit. She's also left Eidos Montreal just at the point when there seemed like potential for further Adam Jensen adventures. I can't begrudge someone looking for a new challenge, but I'm less confident in any future Deus Ex game without DeMarle's involvement.
cringe
writing is the worst part of both games
guarantee the author wouldn't have put this there if it didn't have a vagina
How could anyone conclude the writing was good when they didn't even write an ending? Trilogy doesn't have an ending, major plot points in each game are unresolved, etc.

Games are fun in spite of the retardo setting and plot.

Latelistener

Arcane
Jason Schreier is saying don't expect a new Deus Ex anytime soon because Eidos Montreal is working on a new IP.

DX5 by 2024 at the latest then.
I wonder how you came up with this number. A new IP in full production, that's 4 years at the minimum, which means they will probably release it by 2024-2025. Then another 4 years for Deus Ex 5.

That is, if their new IP won't be a massive success. Then you can probably forget about another Deus Ex game in our lifespan. Of course they can have several teams, but so far the windows between projects was big.

Good thing they ditched their engine for UE5 though. That's really good.

THQ Nordic is not Square Enix when it comes to money though. I'm not sure how they're going to sustain Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. We haven't really seen AAA projects from them.

Latelistener

Arcane
How could anyone conclude the writing was good when they didn't even write an ending? Trilogy doesn't have an ending, major plot points in each game are unresolved, etc.

The HR story was concluded. The writer wanted to kill Jensen and basically she did. He was suppose to die on Panchaea and they shouldn't have brought his clone back in MD.

Why MD was not finished is another story. After Thief and their canned version on Final Fantasy 15 they had less than 3 years for MD, including reworking tech they got from IO Interactive.

J1M

Arcane
Jason Schreier is saying don't expect a new Deus Ex anytime soon because Eidos Montreal is working on a new IP.

DX5 by 2024 at the latest then.
I wonder how you came up with this number. A new IP in full production, that's 4 years at the minimum, which means they will probably release it by 2024-2025. Then another 4 years for Deus Ex 5.

That is, if their new IP won't be a massive success. Then you can probably forget about another Deus Ex game in our lifespan. Of course they can have several teams, but so far the windows between projects was big.

Good thing they ditched their engine for UE5 though. That's really good.

THQ Nordic is not Square Enix when it comes to money though. I'm not sure how they're going to sustain Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics. We haven't really seen AAA projects from them.
If they were smart, the first project would be a Deus Ex 1 remake. Requires zero pre-production, zero writers, zero voice acting, zero balance testing, zero level design debates.

Completely feasible to turn that out in 18 months while staffing up on leads for the next step in the franchise.

J1M

Arcane

The HR story was concluded. The writer wanted to kill Jensen and basically she did. He was suppose to die on Panchaea and they shouldn't have brought his clone back in MD.

Why MD was not finished is another story. After Thief and their canned version on Final Fantasy 15 they had less than 3 years for MD, including reworking tech they got from IO Interactive.
"Only 3 years" is a hilarious excuse. Especially when you are working on a direct sequel. At some point in those 1000 days someone should have had the big brain idea to work on the ending before the middle.

They were distracted implementing micro transactions and other nonsense related to the Deus Ex Universe pipedream.

There's also no feasible way you can convince me HR's story is concluded when Jensen didn't catch up to his bitch of an ex girlfriend (and hopefully be given some sort of player choice in what to do with her given what he learned along the way), given that was his primary motivation from scene 1.

Latelistener

Arcane

"Only 3 years" is a hilarious excuse. Especially when you are working on a direct sequel. At some point in those 1000 days someone should have had the big brain idea to work on the ending before the middle.

They were distracted implementing micro transactions and other nonsense related to the Deus Ex Universe pipedream.

There's also no feasible way you can convince me HR's story is concluded when Jensen didn't catch up to his bitch of an ex girlfriend (and hopefully be given some sort of player choice in what to do with her given what he learned along the way), given that was his primary motivation from scene 1.
I have no idea what happened during the development, but anything is possible with Square Enix. Maybe it was cut short several months before the release. Maybe they expected to make a second game in 2 years, but those plans were canned. Maybe both.

What I do know is that the problem goes far beyond writing.

There is a legit option to kill yourself on Panchaea. That is basically what Jensen did. There is no catching up to anyone. Even in MD Sarif said that "she moved on and you should too".

Yosharian

Arcane
At this point we should be thankful that there won't be any more DE games, let this franchise rest in peace. We got a bunch of fairly good games (more or less) and we got the original, no developer that is capable of getting their hands on the IP is also capable of making another good DE game so just let it go.

Look what they did to Thief for fuck's sake :negative:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
At this point we should be thankful that there won't be any more DE games, let this franchise rest in peace. We got a bunch of fairly good games (more or less) and we got the original, no developer that is capable of getting their hands on the IP is also capable of making another good DE game so just let it go.

Are you insane? We need new DE and Thief !

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is THQ Nordic takeover really that bad for her that she jumped the ship for this dumpsterfire of a studio? The new Dragon Age has changed four or something directors already.
Lot of the Guardians game was written by Kasper Hartman who replaced Mary DeMarle, and Guardians was very well written (considering it is marvel nonsense).

MuffinBun

Educated
Its not difficult to find examples of quests and story arcs that are about something different.
Wrong. The entire environment and context for all of the scenery changes are Aug rights related.
These statements are not contradictory. Again, its okay to dislike the theme of the game, but it was not mishandled.

guarantee the author wouldn't have put this there if it didn't have a vagina
lol. As opposed to chad western male writers we get these days?

Vatnik Wumao
I personally think more cyberpunk games should be based in traditional or historical cities, with the futuristic bits of the setting growing out of the city like a tumor. It makes sense from a thematic perspective and makes the setting more oppressive.

J1M

Arcane
So what should it next Deus Ex be like? Where to place it, story, gameplay, reactivity, bigger city or smaller hubs ... ?
I think someone should extend the premise of the Cassandra mod into a full game.

Essentially the idea was that you play as a covert operative that is sent in to peel back the veil of conspiracy theories. So each mission would essentially be about a different one, but there are some characters in the department you work for that help tie a larger narrative experience together back at base.

Fairly standard Deus Ex 1 stuff, but the spice the mod makers added to the mix was the idea that based on your actions, you would uncover a subset of details about what happened. Some potentially planted by certain organizations, some confirming the official story, etc. The idea being that you could walk away believing you had solved it based on what you found, but the truth might be different for another player.

Think JFK, FEMA internment camps, or Sandy Hook.

I assume at some point things would escalate and the player would be able to selectively withhold evidence to steer the actions of the secret organization.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Just drop nuclear hellfire on this rotten, jewish infested, morally, financially and creatively bankrupt Western civilization

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom