Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Mods - a How to guide by Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
2012. The year of WTFBBQOMFGWTH?

Gord

Arcane
By the way, there is a new version of New Vision incoming, as well.
Some improved New Vision textures, some more replaced old ones, some more animated textures from what I found on their forums.
So far a Beta has been made available, but is inaccessible atm due to high traffic.
Full version expected next week.

Seems like christmas comes early for DX fans this year.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
There is also a new guy (the dude who made the new newspapers, I think) that is working on some new textures for 3D models. It seems things are getting moving, finally.

Good thing is that I'm currently playing Dishonored, so at least I've got some weak methadone for my DX addiction and I can wait some time for my next DX playthrough.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I never liked New Vision much. Changed the art style and everything was a bit too inconsistent for my liking, unlike, say, a lot of the high-res Unreal Tournament textures available.

waywardOne

Arcane
New computer. I have forgotten how I got around the disk check (and w/o a virtual drive). Does copying the entire cd contents to the dx folder work, or am I thinking of several other games?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ Yeah the full installation copies everything into the HD. By simply removing the line Tzaero mentioned you remove the CD check.

oscar

Arcane
Been trying to get the Zodiac mod to work. The cut-scene plays correctly but then the only thing that loads is the vanilla game with me as JC.

Ed: Altered the default player files to Class=Zodiac.PaulDentonPlayer and she's working now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Been trying to get the Zodiac mod to work. The cut-scene plays correctly but then the only thing that loads is the vanilla game with me as JC.

Ed: Altered the default player files to Class=Zodiac.PaulDentonPlayer and she's working now.
So, how good is Zodiac ?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The plot is a bit wacky.
I'd recommend 2027 over Zodiac.

Ouch. Considering how painfully amateurish is the writing in 2027, that doesn't sound good for Zodiac. On the other hand 2027 is good for what it is (as soon as you turn the BLOOM off) : lovingly crafted huge non-linear areas for exploring to your heart's content. How good is Zodiac's level building ?

oscar

Arcane
So far the plot of Zodiac has been fine. Good even. Some people have said the ending is pretty bizarre though (which is what I think Tzaero meant by wacky, rather than it being poorly written per say).

The first level where you have to infiltrate the CIA headquarters is quite massive, and it really shows that they know the engine and how to push it. The second level which I'm just at the end of is quite a bit smaller (though reasonably sized for an urban area by vanilla Deus Ex standards). Alternate routes are present as are secret locations and rewards for those who like to explore. I'm quite impressed so far. Another thing that I like is that there's a fair bit of use of the y-axis meaning that the (already large) maps are often even larger than they first appear.

J1M

Arcane
Zodiac is an excellent mod. The Office Space inspired area even has some humor.

Another good one, which is a standalone mission, is Hotel Carone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I just finished 2027. It was very enjoyable all and all.

The writing is a bit amateurish and the translation to English dodgy at times, but the main story and style are 100% Deus Ex and the atmosphere is fantastic. I enjoyed it more than TNM, even though TMN had better dialog. I just could not get over TNM's silly premise. When it comes to area design I'd say they're about equal, TNM had some more complex areas maybe, but 2027 feels tighter when it come to design. So:

Visuals/Area Design : :5/5:
2027 looks fantastic and it's probably the best DX mode visually. The excessive bloom in the initial settings is annoying, but It can be toned down from the ENB.ini. Both Paris and Moscow look great and have an immersive atmosphere and the various facilities and buildings are pretty well made. Rain and snow have been added with an impressive effect. All the areas are big and complex and connected with multiple ways. Not maze-like, but exploration is rewarding.

Gameplay: :4/5:
I played in realistic and it certainly seemed harder than original DX. Head to head combat is lethal and the enemy AI also seemed better. Camera placement and general security was well implemented and not just there for the player to disable. Consumable tools were also hard to find, so don't expect to be carrying dozens of multittols/lockpicks/grenades. Expect to be avoiding many of the bots, because those nifty LAMs are hard to get. Apart from augmentation abilities and skills you also get to choose some perks when you get enough XP.
In general it seems that the augs and skills are well balanced. Napalm grenades have been added and they are pretty fun to use. Various new weapons have been introduced, mostly rifles and pistols (they look good, probably extracted form counterstrike). Skills and perks matter more, so don't expect to be any good in pistols, rifles, or melee, unless you invest much on the respective skills. Also, you'll soon run out of lockpicks/miltiools of you are not skilled at using them. Another addition is the option to use portable bots and drones if you have the required skills. Fun to use and very effective.
You can overcome obstacles in multiple ways, though I would have liked more options in some situations. You can also choose to help, or not, certain factions and this will eventually lead to three different endings. There is some lite C&C that both affects certain situations in-game and also changes somewhat the endings. The game is long, it takes about as much as the original DX to finish.
It doesn't get 5/5 because of two unavoidable scripted combat sequences. In both cases you're just thrown into combat without many options and it's pretty annoying. Especially one of them is extremely frustrating since a headshot in realistic difficulty is instant death, and you're swarmed by enemies. I had to be pretty creative and lucky to win this one and the lack of options was very un-DX like. Even though you can stealth most of the parts of 2027, you can't totally avoid combat.

Story/Writing: :3/5:
I'm being generous here, because the writing is pretty amateurish, but I cut them some slack because some of it can be accounted to the translation and Russian is always a difficult language to translate. Trying to live up to DX's writing is always a daunting task.
The general plot is pretty good though. You play the role of a mercenary/spy that has to get into the labs of Human Horizon (A mulinational bio-tech indstry) and steal something from their server. When you do this a virus(?) enters your cyber-brain and all hell breaks loose. From then on you get to go to Paris, Moscow, Siberia and Nevada, USA while trying to get that program out of your mind and getting mixed up with various factions fighting for power. The story takes place several years before DX, and there are nods to the events of the original game.

Conclusion: :4/5:
This is the best full-length DX mod I've played, and if you're a DX fan you should try it. Be patient with some of the writing, especially at the beginning, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I just finished Nihilum. Pretty good, not as good as 2027, but an impressive mod especially considering the fact it's basically an one man job.

Visuals/Area Design/Sound : :4/5:
I admit I was spoiled by 2027, Nhilum doesn't reach its visual quality, but it's pretty good nevertheless. Most areas are big and complex with multiple ways to move around and various "secret" areas. Hong Kong especially is impressive, it's massive and rewards exploration a lot, though it's a little too maze-like for it's own good. Berlin, NY and the other facilities aren't that big, except for the last area, which is also rather huge, but it lacks HK's depth. Visually both HK, NY and Berlin don't resemble much the aforementioned cities and could use some extra work in that regard.
The game also has full voice over. It sucks big time. Only a couple of voices are bearable but the rest are as bad as it gets and the protagonist's voice is especially bad... it's a bad black-man's-talk impersonation by a dude that reads the script like he has just learn how to read. Anyway, you can always mute the voices so it's no big deal in the end, although since the endings didn't have subtitles (at least none appeared for me) you'll have to endure them for that part.
On the other hand the music is fantastic, it's almost equal to the original game, if nothing else just grab the awesome soundtrack. Really this soundtrack is better than 99% of the soundtracks in AAA games. For the soundtrack's quality I'll give it a 4/5 instead of a 3/5.

Gameplay: :3/5:
Multiple ways to reach your goals are a DX staple and this mod does well in that regard. In the beginning it seems like resources are scarce but soon you'll get a lot of them, which makes the game rather easy after a while especially for DX veterans. By midgame you'll be literary swarming with multitools and lockpicks, not to mention you'll also have explosives to do your dirty work. The only very tough moments are "Boss" battles in realistic, but they can actually be avoided, so thumbs up for this. In the C&C area things are pretty good, nothing major, but in the end of the first mission your boss reads a report of your various actions in certain situations and rewards you accordingly, it was pretty cool. Other than that there is a rather clever way where you can avoid a combat situation and save someone's life. I also liked the "enforcer" type enemy whom you couldn't sneak up to crouching (because he walks fast) and is generally an enhanced MIB-type enemy.
The game is almost as long as the original so thumbs up for that. I was a bit disappointed where at some point the game gives you a false choice for a branching storyline. On the other hand the branching in the end with the various conflicting groups is done pretty well, but frankly their rhetoric didn't sound very convincing, which brings us to the writing.

Story/Writing: :2/5:
It sure has its heart in the right place but eventually the writing is lackluster. You play the role of UN's the very first nanotechnological agent (yep before Paul Denton) , Mad Ingram. He is sent to Hong Kong to find who is behind a terrorist attack there and he is eventually thrown in between the machinations of the Majestic12, the Illuminati and a new power with soviet origins, called XVA. The main idea is pretty fitting but the execution is amateurish. Dialog isn't very well written, especially the parts where attempts at humor are made. Fourth wall breaking and various DX-lore puns are also rather clumsy. Finally the goals and ideals of each organization aren't very clearly stated or very articulate, at least in their attempts to woo the protagonist to their cause. Since it's done by a Finnish guy he deserves to be cut some slack, the end result could have been much better with some good editing.

Conclusion: :3/5:
Very good mod, not as good as 2027 but not very far behind either. I enjoyed this a lot (enough to play it for at least 15 hours) and even though TMN is maybe superior to area design and gameplay I found Nuhilum much easier to digest because it has an actual DX setting. Certainly an impressive achievement from just one dude and good for quenching some of that DX thirst.

Last edited:

DesPKP

Barely Literate
Hello. Could someone help me. Once i install Deus Exe and the D3D10 renderer when i go in to the game, i can't move my mouse. At all. Anyone have a solution to this? I didn't install the Visual C++ thing since it said i have a never version installed. I did everything as per in the instructions.

Thank you for your help.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Deus Ex fans, I need testers for the latest version of my gameplay mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

It is unlike Shifter and Biomod in that it strives to stay true to the original design, only refine and expand upon it, make it a better RPG (choice/consequence, replayability, balance), make it a better Immersive Sim (more simulated systems and game world), make it a better shooter and stealth game (improved weaponry and AI) and so on. It does a lot and I plan to do more.

DesPKP

Barely Literate
You could try the opengl renderer, might help
All right gonna give this a try...

Ok, i tried and that didn't help, but i decided to try the other options as well and putting it on normal D3D support (not D3D10) fixed it. Thanks, i wouldn't have thought of checking the renderers...

Gord

Arcane
The d3d10 and (updated) opengl renderer is necessary if you e.g. want to use the New Vision texture pack. Otherwise use whatever works I guess

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yo bros, I'm compiling the Desu Ex mod recommendation list for the CRPG Book, any tips?

This is what I got so far:

Mods:

The Nameless Mod: A long and elaborate campaign, featuring great level design and two separate story-lines. A memorable experience, even if the setting is a bit silly.

2027: A prequel to Deus Ex, very faithful in terms of gameplay, exploration and setting. Highly recommended.

ZODIAC: An excellent set of six missions where you play as Paul Denton, uncovering some of the game’s mysteries.

Deus Ex: Nihilum: Another great fan-made campaign.

Deus Ex: Revision: A collection of mods that overhauls the base game with new graphics, soundtrack, tweaks and gameplay changes. Conveniently available on Steam.

GMDX: Another extensive overhaul mod, but arguably a more hardcore and faithful alternative to Revision.

HDTP / New Vision: Two mods that updates the game’s models and textures. Featured in both Revision and GMDX.

Shifter / Biomod: Two rather controversial mods, they rebalance the whole game, adding new gameplay features, weapons, augmentations and rewards. Not for everyone.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yo bros, I'm compiling the Desu Ex mod recommendation list for the CRPG Book, any tips?

This is what I got so far:

Mods:

The Nameless Mod: A long and elaborate campaign, featuring great level design and two separate story-lines. A memorable experience, even if the setting is a bit silly.

2027: A prequel to Deus Ex, very faithful in terms of gameplay, exploration and setting. Highly recommended.

ZODIAC: An excellent set of six missions where you play as Paul Denton, uncovering some of the game’s mysteries.

Deus Ex: Nihilum: Another great fan-made campaign.

Deus Ex: Revision: A collection of mods that overhauls the base game with new graphics, soundtrack, tweaks and gameplay changes. Conveniently available on Steam.

GMDX: Another extensive overhaul mod, but arguably a more hardcore and faithful alternative to Revision.

HDTP / New Vision: Two mods that updates the game’s models and textures. Featured in both Revision and GMDX.

Shifter / Biomod: Two rather controversial mods, they rebalance the whole game, adding new gameplay features, weapons, augmentations and rewards. Not for everyone.
HDTP and New Vision should probably be seperate posts, they also arguably deserve to be called essential. A protip about declining HDTP's updated models might also be in order.

As for more mods, I think you've covered the spectrum. Only other I can think of is Redsun 2020, but I have never played it so I can't say if it is good or not.

Paging Jonas and Ash as they might know more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom